Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Tolth posted:

That's average height.

Compared to sandersonia and marigold boa is the runt of the litter too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Begemot posted:

I think we might get more about Zoro, but I love his backstory as it stands. He's just some kid who got really into swords, and then his friend died and he promised to become the BEST at swords.

That's all you need! He doesn't need to be the heir to the secret Wano sword school or whatever.

oh yes please do not get me wrong i am the #1 hater of destiny backstory stuff i do not want that

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Andrast posted:

I really don't want any additional backstory that is conveniently relevant to the currrent ongoing grand line poo poo for any old character

yeah i get what you mean now and would agree whole heartedly

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

tbp posted:

oh yes please do not get me wrong i am the #1 hater of destiny backstory stuff i do not want that

I hope Luffy is a child of destiny that shanks has been grooming for 15 years and when shanks excitedly tells Luffy the details of what he’s fated to do Luffy just makes the face he made when he thought of Kokoro as a mermaid and says “don’t wanna”

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Meme Emulator posted:

Compared to sandersonia and marigold boa is the runt of the litter too

boa is their family name

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

I hope Luffy is a child of destiny that shanks has been grooming for 15 years and when shanks excitedly tells Luffy the details of what he’s fated to do Luffy just makes the face he made when he thought of Kokoro as a mermaid and says “don’t wanna”

i'm going to write a thesis paper on how Oda and Tolstoy explore similar concepts regarding history, fate, destiny and "great man" theories in One Piece and that One Part of War and Peace Where Tolstoy Stops the Narrative For Like 50 Pages to Bitch About Napoleon

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

tbp posted:

i'm going to write a thesis paper on how Oda and Tolstoy explore similar concepts regarding history, fate, destiny and "great man" theories in One Piece and that One Part of War and Peace Where Tolstoy Stops the Narrative For Like 50 Pages to Bitch About Napoleon

I mean it wasn't Napoleon himself Tolstoy was bitching about, but the way he was regarded by historians at the time. And then he does it again at the very end of the book!

It is kind of formally similar to the way Oda deploys flashbacks, especially the infamous extended Norland flashback right at the climax of Skypiea :v:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Begemot posted:

I mean it wasn't Napoleon himself Tolstoy was bitching about, but the way he was regarded by historians at the time. And then he does it again at the very end of the book!

It is kind of formally similar to the way Oda deploys flashbacks, especially the infamous extended Norland flashback right at the climax of Skypiea :v:

oh hidden in the joke is a kernel of truth, oda and tolstoy seem to conceptualize history the same way a lot. its not that there are great men, but that historical circumstance creates the man. i THINK this is the direction he's going with luffy too

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I think we'll definitely get something extra on Nami, just because "she's a war orphan" is a really distinct detail that feels ripe to expand on in some fashion. Even if it's not important-important; she doesnt have to be royalty or anything or even just have it be some side tangent in a broader flashback. And it might get us Bellmere and that is always a plus.

Also could probably have a character beat of "yeah it sucks my parents died but I found a real family (the crew: awwww, she means us), by which I of course mean the treasure I found along the way (the crew: hey!!) right and my island of course." then she walks away twirling a cool gold chain she founds.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
We still don't know much about Yassop either, so I'm excited to see Ussop reunite with him when they meet Shanks again.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
was pretty bummed about the nami fight rob into nami power-up rob until we cut to luffy being definitely and permanently dead and i was like oh okay, i see oda. i get thing.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i really hope zeus comes back like someone speculated, he's fun i was really hoping he'd stick around with nami

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

people speculated that big mom was gonna fall down and land on her ship, but i think a better thing to have happen would be if Luffy fell on their ship and formed a temporary alliance with her kids

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Anyone else think Momo might save Luffy?

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
I can't believe Luffy is literally dead. Who else will fight Kaido?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

jassa posted:

Anyone else think Momo might save Luffy?

Honestly I was kind of thinking it'd be that tengu dude.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

rannum posted:

I think we'll definitely get something extra on Nami, just because "she's a war orphan" is a really distinct detail that feels ripe to expand on in some fashion. Even if it's not important-important; she doesnt have to be royalty or anything or even just have it be some side tangent in a broader flashback. And it might get us Bellmere and that is always a plus.

Also could probably have a character beat of "yeah it sucks my parents died but I found a real family (the crew: awwww, she means us), by which I of course mean the treasure I found along the way (the crew: hey!!) right and my island of course." then she walks away twirling a cool gold chain she founds.

I feel if we get additional Nami backstory it'll be when we get into the Rebel Army vs the Marines, seeing as she is a War Orphan that Bellmere found mid-combat.

I don't necessarily think we'll get additional Zoro backstory, but we might get additional Zoro adjacent backstory (his teacher and so on).

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

rannum posted:

Honestly I was kind of thinking it'd be that tengu dude.

Hmm, it does seem odd he's not present, but I can't see him joining the battle while the island is still in midair. And you *know* he didn't accompany Tama because there's no way he'd approve her being in such danger.

See the reason I think it could be Momo is because we know he's been actively monitoring Luffy's condition from afar, we know he can fly, and it would be thematically fitting considering he's always being protected and rescued by others. It'd also set him up to be present for the final showdown (presumably involving Yamato and Luffy) and ready to slow/stop the island's descent.

Edit: It'd also be a good opportunity for him to figure out the extent of his powers - progressing from "I can make myself hover" to "I can fly in the open sky and save my friend" to "I might be able to do something about this falling island".

Then again, I was way off with my prediction about this chapter, so for all I know it'll be CP0 or Toko jumping in to save Luffy.

jassa fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 15, 2021

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

rannum posted:

Nami doesn't need anymore backstory, she just needs a proper 1v1 so she's recognized as a Straw Hat division commander.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Ulti is an ancient zoan and zoan's have really good healing... OTOH she got loving lasered with blood spurting out the back, good chance of ded.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
lol if y’all genuinely believe getting maser beamed through the chest is a lethal injury in One Piece land. Maybe Ulti’s done fighting (and really even then she probably has enough in her for one last stand) but Ulti would have mopped the floor with pre-skip Luffy/Zoro and both of them have tanked worse.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Oof, did not think Luffy would get curb-stomped like that off screen, especially when finally getting a hang of his Conquerer's punches.

Maybe this is the three-round-and-out like they did with Crocodile? Can't remember the last time Luffy had a fight like that, been ages.

Oda has done an incredible job of making Big Mom seem like the force that just won't quit, I really thought we had seen the apex of her powers when chasing the Sunny down over wedding cake, but she up and bust out another nuke ability. This arc has been pure fire from start to finish, I have no clue how Oda manages to top it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I guess they’re not literally the same thing but Luffy’s last two big fights were like twenty hour affairs and he probably would have lost against Cracker without Nami to soften up the cookie soldiers, or at least come out in the same state as he did with Katakuri. Gotta be honest, it’s kinda getting a bit tiresome, I’d have much preferred we do everyone’s fights and then cut to Luffy and Kaido on their last legs.

That said I’ll be overjoyed to eat my words if there’s some super clutch last minute power up that doesn’t feel cheap though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Im starting to suspect that big mom might not join the straw hats somehow

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Official scans

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-piece-chapter-1013/chapter/22496?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1009218

I still can't believe I'm caring this much about a cloud.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I knew I was right to be scared of Big Mom when she started acting all friendly to Otama! I mean, that's really a good rule of thumb to begin with.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Big Mom is so great. Oda keeps her personality and mood swings consistent, and her relationship with her companions is fun. I was legitimately taken aback when she unceremoniously snuffed out Zeus.

Also not to be too much of a creep (too late), but Nami's proportions in this chapter seemed slightly more realistic thanks to her wearing the samurai armor.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Still no Robin fight. I'm starting to worry that we're just going to be told she won.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Gyges posted:

Still no Robin fight. I'm starting to worry that we're just going to be told she won.

I am going to assume we'll cut back to her & brook losing then saved by Law or whatever

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Well this is interesting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgUB3AxFz_Q

An avid bookworm has been going through One Piece volumes with a non-manga perspective. Some neat insight into arcs that might escape the average manga fan.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Thanks Oda for making me emotional about a sad cloud in a hat! That being said “Soul Thief” Zeus teaming up with “Cat Burglar” Nami is too perfect not to happen, so I’ll be awaiting his dramatic and perfectly timed return. Also if Yamato does in fact become a straw hat I love the idea of having both an emperor’s son and part of another emperor’s soul on the crew.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Parrotine posted:

An avid bookworm has been going through One Piece volumes with a non-manga perspective. Some neat insight into arcs that might escape the average manga fan.

Luffy instead of Loofy is always funny, but totally what every English speaker first assumes.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Parrotine posted:

theres like a few epic fantasy youtubers all doing this at the same time which is kind of weird but i mean the crossover appeal is kinda high so i get it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, I have to admit that the anime seems to be improving a bit lately (particularly in regards to the current Oden story).

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

The anime has always adapted the flashbacks well.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Gyges posted:

Luffy instead of Loofy is always funny, but totally what every English speaker first assumes.

I mean, its been like 12 years since ive gotten into one piece and i still say "Luff-y" in my head when im reading the comic

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I think the only reason I avoided that fate is I heard it spoken first on the 4Kids dub.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

anime was right posted:

theres like a few epic fantasy youtubers all doing this at the same time which is kind of weird but i mean the crossover appeal is kinda high so i get it

i think its sort of a critical mass thing. for whatever reason, one piece *seems* (aka i have absolutely no basis at all for saying this) to be getting more popular in english speaking countries over the last few years, so i think we might just be seeing a tip over where content creators gotta get in on the game even if its outside their normal subject

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

tbp posted:

i think its sort of a critical mass thing. for whatever reason, one piece *seems* (aka i have absolutely no basis at all for saying this) to be getting more popular in english speaking countries over the last few years, so i think we might just be seeing a tip over where content creators gotta get in on the game even if its outside their normal subject

i think the pandemic basically gave everyone with sudden infinite free time the excuse to finally read it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

massive jump starting in april 2020 lol