Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I feel naked if I don't go outside with a mask.

Also I want the needle in my butt.

I dunno if its been approved for the butts but you can get it in the thigh

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/29/well/live/covid-vaccine-thigh-lymphedema-breast-cancer.html

They do the deltoid because it's right next to lymph nodes, but so is the thigh. Idea is to give the vaccine right near the lymph node since that gets the biggest immunological bang for the buck, but some people have that lymph node damaged or removed and so the thigh is theoretically preferable for them.

You can apparently elect to get it in the thigh some places. With as widespread as vaccine availability is now I bet you wouldn't have too much trouble getting it that way if you wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Spalec posted:

Got my first vaccine today :)

My arm hurts :(

Mazel tov!

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah, also got my first vaccine (Pfizer) today with my roommate and, well... My arm hurts! It's actually surprisingly goddamn sore where I got the injection. It felt like nothing when it happened, but now it feels like I have some horrible tight bruise under my skin.

I am assuming this is very normal. I feel pretty much fine otherwise, maybe slightly more tired than normal. My roommate seems to be feeling markedly crappier, though.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
If your arm/shoulder is sore just do windmills and keep that limb moving. You'll appreciate it tomorrow.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

kaworu posted:

Yeah, also got my first vaccine (Pfizer) today with my roommate and, well... My arm hurts! It's actually surprisingly goddamn sore where I got the injection. It felt like nothing when it happened, but now it feels like I have some horrible tight bruise under my skin.

I am assuming this is very normal. I feel pretty much fine otherwise, maybe slightly more tired than normal. My roommate seems to be feeling markedly crappier, though.
Yes that happens to almost everyone

You may suddenly start to feel like poo poo within 24 hours of the injection. That happened to me, where I felt extremely tired and achy for about 12ish hours before it went away.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

kaworu posted:

The best side effect is realizing you don't have to worry about getting really sick with a terrible virus. The relief on my psyche has been immeasurable. Welcome friend.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
I had my first dose of AZ about 5 weeks ago at a physician led vaccination clinic because that's how they were advising 1b people would be vaccinated prior to the vaccine becoming available at GP practices. Today I got an email telling me that I'm eligible to receive Pfizer at a large, hospital-based vaccination hub. I took the AZ precisely because it was supposed to be the only vaccine available to me. Grrr.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I got my first shot in my non-dominant arm and realized that night it was a big mistake, because that's the side I sleep on. Not doing that again.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Picnic Princess posted:

I got my first shot in my non-dominant arm and realized that night it was a big mistake, because that's the side I sleep on. Not doing that again.

I was glad I got both my shots in my dominant arm for this very reason.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Lolie posted:

I had my first dose of AZ about 5 weeks ago at a physician led vaccination clinic because that's how they were advising 1b people would be vaccinated prior to the vaccine becoming available at GP practices. Today I got an email telling me that I'm eligible to receive Pfizer at a large, hospital-based vaccination hub. I took the AZ precisely because it was supposed to be the only vaccine available to me. Grrr.

Well, on the bright side, you’re now pretty much immune, almost two months before you would have been in case you’d gotten the Pfizer tomorrow. (Going by the number I’ve heard, that the AZ gives you a ca 70% immunity after three weeks post the first dose. I don’t have a source for that apart from word of mouth from an MD who I’m pretty sure is not a virologist.)

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 16, 2021

mania
Sep 9, 2004
Goddamn there are 38 community case today in Singapore, of which 18 we’re not linked to any previous cases.

Vaccinated American goons, please keep wearing your masks. A good portion of the people who caught it were already vaccinated but they still got infected again and it seems like some of the vaccinated folk managed to spread it to others. The silver lining is that the vaccinated folk had mild to no symptoms and so far haven’t require oxygen.

I wish my parents would go get vaccinated. They had the chance but didn’t go because they’re being all suspicious about the mRNA vaccines (we only have pifzer and moderna here). :sigh:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I had AZ a few weeks ago. Slightly tender arm for a week or so and slight chills 24 hours later for a few hours but nothing too horrendous. Wife had Pfizer and same side effects for the first one but felt really ‘flu-ey’ for a good week after the second one. Haven’t been called for my second one yet.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

mania posted:

Goddamn there are 38 community case today in Singapore, of which 18 we’re not linked to any previous cases.

Vaccinated American goons, please keep wearing your masks. A good portion of the people who caught it were already vaccinated but they still got infected again and it seems like some of the vaccinated folk managed to spread it to others. The silver lining is that the vaccinated folk had mild to no symptoms and so far haven’t require oxygen.

I wish my parents would go get vaccinated. They had the chance but didn’t go because they’re being all suspicious about the mRNA vaccines (we only have pifzer and moderna here). :sigh:

I intend to because I don't want my friends to have to bury me, next.

The vaccine is great and I absolutely support and trust it. I'm fully vaccinated but my mask is on from the time I'm out of the car until I'm back in it, everywhere I go. And it's on at drive-thrus, too. Because there's still far too much virus present and the chances of breakthroughs are still too high for this dumb maskless poo poo. We came so far. We're getting people vaccinated. And now it's getting all hosed up, too.

It is amazing how bad the US is at trying to get rid of covid.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mania posted:

Have they said which vaccines the breakthrough cases got? I know Singapore had a lot of Sinovac use which is notably less effective than the other vaccines.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Vaccines don't provide immunity.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pennywise the Frown posted:

They do, for 70-ish%-95% (depending on the brand/type). And that's wonderful. But no vaccine is perfect and we're so far from the percentages they were talking about like, a week ago.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Have they said which vaccines the breakthrough cases got? I know Singapore had a lot of Sinovac use which is notably less effective than the other vaccines.

No mention of which vaccine it was, but we only have Pfizer and moderna here in Singapore so far. I think we’ve received Sinovac shipments but it hasn’t been approved for use yet.

Yeah I know it’s not 100% immunity, which is why the CDC’s new mask guidelines are bizarre to me.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

You know I’m actually all for the CDC saying masks off. Our government is far, far too evil and our population far, far too stupid to actually do what’s necessary to stop this so gently caress it, just let it run rampant.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

hakimashou posted:

I dunno if its been approved for the butts but you can get it in the thigh

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/29/well/live/covid-vaccine-thigh-lymphedema-breast-cancer.html

They do the deltoid because it's right next to lymph nodes, but so is the thigh. Idea is to give the vaccine right near the lymph node since that gets the biggest immunological bang for the buck, but some people have that lymph node damaged or removed and so the thigh is theoretically preferable for them.

You can apparently elect to get it in the thigh some places. With as widespread as vaccine availability is now I bet you wouldn't have too much trouble getting it that way if you wanted.

I did not expect to learn this much after indicating that I wanted an injection in my butt. I will never forget this information, nor how I came upon it. Thank you!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I feel naked if I don't go outside with a mask.

Also I want the needle in my butt.

:rolleyes: oh you want everything in your butt

Green Nail Polish
Nov 15, 2020

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I intend to because I don't want my friends to have to bury me, next.

The vaccine is great and I absolutely support and trust it. I'm fully vaccinated but my mask is on from the time I'm out of the car until I'm back in it, everywhere I go. And it's on at drive-thrus, too. Because there's still far too much virus present and the chances of breakthroughs are still too high for this dumb maskless poo poo. We came so far. We're getting people vaccinated. And now it's getting all hosed up, too.

It is amazing how bad the US is at trying to get rid of covid.

In terms of protection, wearing a mask (especially when you are alone outside lol) while double mRNA vaccinated is a bit like slipping a bible into your back pocket while wearing a bulletproof vest.

Sure, it might offer a thin longshot chance of protection. But I think you can admit that it's more about feeling safe than being safe.

The vaccines are far, far better at preventing covid spread and transmission than masks.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

They really don't

People think about them like a germ forcefield but you have to GET covid for the vaccine to matter at all. It's just that your immune system immediately goes "oh, this motherfucker" and gets to work right away so you don't get very sick.

You can theoretically still transmit weakly and you do have it, just a very mild case, often totally without noticable symptoms

Green Nail Polish
Nov 15, 2020

The Bloop posted:

People think about them like a germ forcefield but you have to GET covid for the vaccine to matter at all. It's just that your immune system immediately goes "oh, this motherfucker" and gets to work right away so you don't get very sick.

This isn't true at all. The vaccines greatly reduce the chance that you will contract Covid-19, and if you do get it, they even more greatly reduce the chance that you will get sick, and they even more MORE greatly reduce the chance you will be hospitalized.

Please don't spread misinformation.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Green Nail Polish posted:

In terms of protection, wearing a mask (especially when you are alone outside lol) while double mRNA vaccinated is a bit like slipping a bible into your back pocket while wearing a bulletproof vest.

Sure, it might offer a thin longshot chance of protection. But I think you can admit that it's more about feeling safe than being safe.

The vaccines are far, far better at preventing covid spread and transmission than masks.

I wear n95s. They absolutely offer protection. It's been proven time and time again. Grandma's handknitted face mask emporium probably should have never been a thing, though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Bloop posted:

They really don't

You can theoretically still transmit weakly and you do have it, just a very mild case, often totally without noticable symptoms

If the vaccine offers for example 70% protection and the mask offers 50% protection, together wouldn't they offer 85% protection? Or a 90% vaccine + 50% mask offering 95%.

It doesn't seem like a huge difference, but in videogames you get people paying big bucks for a bit of kit that offers an extra 5% protection from thermal damage or whatever. There aren't many options for a the face slot IRL. You can wear a mask for extra airborne germ protection, or maybe lipstick for a charisma boost, but there aren't a ton of other options. :iiaca:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
One thing people are going to be doing studies on for next time, especially now, is that the U.K. never had an outside mask mandate - the law is Inside and in public transport only.

I’ve bitched about this before but this time I’ve got pictures, this was London in December 2020 while the Kent variant was only down south and the north was in total lockdown

Kent is the variant going round America and you can thank these dickheads and the dickheads in Parliament who kept London open because they themselves didn’t want to be inconvenienced.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

This isn't true at all. The vaccines greatly reduce the chance that you will contract Covid-19, and if you do get it, they even more greatly reduce the chance that you will get sick, and they even more MORE greatly reduce the chance you will be hospitalized.

Wearing a mask is added protection that comes at almost no cost and there are almost no unmasked asymptomatic transmission studies for vaccinated people.

Wearing a mask if you have a high risk environment or long exposure times is absolutely sensible. See all vaccinated health care workers for example, do you loving think they're ditching their masks? No, you continue reducing the risk with NPI.

Wearing a mask alongside your children at least until they can get a vaccine is smart because what kind loving example are you setting?

Or you could be a selfish rear end in a top hat, potentially increasing the risk for children, the immunocompromised whatever I guess.

gently caress off with this idiotic mask shaming bullshit.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Blitter fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 16, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Militant Maskers* are going to become the new militant ex-smokers in the U.K. for sure when the mask mandate drops.

*Not your regular still wear a mask and get on with it normal person

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

We don't actually have good information on how many breakthrough cases are occurring in the US, by design. The CDC decided to stop counting all but the most serious cases back in April and they're not interested in keeping any stats on the asymptomatic breakthrough cases

quote:

As of May 1, 2021, CDC transitioned from monitoring all reported vaccine breakthrough cases to focus on identifying and investigating only hospitalized or fatal cases due to any cause. This shift will help maximize the quality of the data collected on cases of greatest clinical and public health importance.

Previous case counts, which were last updated on April 26, 2021, are available for reference only and will not be updated moving forward.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html

The original vaccine trials mostly focused on symptomatic cases and even then a lot of them relied on the recipients to be self-reporting so they're not a great indicator of the prevalence of breakthrough cases, and most of the trials occurred before the nastier vaccine-resistant variants came about.

There are lots of reported of fully vaccinated people in India being hospitalized and dying but the reporting over there is such a total poo poo show there's absolutely no way of knowing what their prevalence of extreme breakthrough cases might be

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

fat bossy gerbil posted:

You know I’m actually all for the CDC saying masks off. Our government is far, far too evil and our population far, far too stupid to actually do what’s necessary to stop this so gently caress it, just let it run rampant.

Unfortunately it'll mostly be minorities who get hosed over the hardest

https://twitter.com/isaiah_bb/status/1393592908402597894

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

poo poo like this gets posted in here with almost no pushback, what the hell

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

AndrewP posted:

a lot of real stupid poo poo gets posted here with no pushback, man

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Please do not rely on GBS for medical advice.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Please do not rely on GBS for medical advice.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This thread is chuffing nuts for reading a whole wall of pro-mask the vaccine’s don’t work text and then it turns out the poster is in Australia or another covid free country and the poster has no skin in the game other than “I haven’t seen my family for a bit”

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

AndrewP posted:

How so? You can get vaxxed and still get covid. It is not 100% effective. I didn't think this was up for debate.

Why bother wearing a mask if you're vaxxed if you are completely immune to this disease that people are documented as getting the disease after they are vaccinated.

https://fortune.com/2021/05/10/can-you-get-covid-after-vaccine-cdc-breakthrough-cases-tracing/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2021-05-16/why-some-vaccinated-people-still-get-covid

https://khn.org/news/article/the-shock-and-reality-of-catching-covid-after-being-vaccinated/

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2021/coronavirus-after-vaccination.html

https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/04/29/1024301/vaccines-covid-breakthrough-infections-immunity-cdc/

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/14/health/breakthrough-infections-covid-vaccines-cdc/index.html

THE loving CDC SAYS "A small percentage of people fully vaccinated against COVID-19 will still develop COVID-19 illness"

so gently caress off with your lies that will get people killed.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 16, 2021

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I don’t know who’s joking anymore and you get probated for pushing back against insanely dumb poo poo lol. I’m just glad I got all 3 vaccines and am indestructible personally.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Unfortunately it'll mostly be minorities who get hosed over the hardest

Yup. But instead people want to spout loving bullshit like this:

Yeah, I'm sure that's why the Nurses Unions are loving appalled by this decision.
https://twitter.com/NationalNurses/status/1393767283806273541

Why epidemiologists think it's a loving stupid decision.

nytimes article posted:

“Until community transmission is lower, it protects the whole community and the other people in the room to wear masks,” including children, immunosuppressed people and Black and Latino communities who have been hit harder by Covid-19, said Julia Raifman, an assistant professor of public health at Boston University."

But why not embrace the solution that personally appeals to you the most, and serves your sense of idiotic entitlement and FYGM lifestyle??? What could be wrong with that?!

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)
i mean, it's true that vaccines don't provide FULL immunity. like they're not 100% effective. wearing a mask in crowds or indoors while case counts are still high still makes sense. even if you're highly likely to have an asymptomatic or mild case if you DO get it, that's you personally. if anything, keep wearing a mask in the scenarios above to keep kids, immunocompromised people, and service workers safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The key words with breakthrough cases are small number and mild. The current UK working is that there is a low chance of vaccinated person who catches it passing it on.

The UK is proving without question that the vaccines are working, no hospital cases are not going up amongst the vaccinated with the Indian variant, and they said today all four deaths from it were old people who refused the vaccine. They are even beginning to say the lab evidence shows the current vaccines are all effective against the Indian variant we have but as not everyone is vaccinated let’s just hold up a bit on ending masks and social distancing.