Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
So,

I've found a few used records I've bought the protective sleeves of the record has a corner that is folded over from the previous owner.

Doesn't bother me. But wasn't completely sure what the reason behind this was. I've never had issue getting out a record folded or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marjorie
May 4, 2014

It's from not paying attention when you put it in the cardboard sleeve. The corner of the plastic sleeve catches on the edge of the cardboard opening and folds itself over if you keep shoving. Then it creases from sitting in the cardboard like that over time.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Should I be frustrated when I buy something brand new shrink wrapped above MSRP and they ship it bad enough to gently caress up a corner?

I don’t mind messing up my sleeves but I want it to at least be my fault.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rolo posted:

Should I be frustrated when I buy something brand new shrink wrapped above MSRP and they ship it bad enough to gently caress up a corner?

If it is not packaged correctly, then yes

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Rolo posted:

NO!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rolo posted:

What record is it?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Rolo posted:

It depends on how bad. If a corner is bent, that poo poo happens and you just accept it.

But one time I got a brand new record where the cover was just creased to hell. The corners were all bent, it had loving serious ring wear, and there were lots of places where the cardboard had been pushed in.

I returned that poo poo because it looked like it had gone through a ringer. I'm not paying full price for a new copy that's pre-worn.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

bowmore posted:

If it is not packaged correctly, then yes

I think it was just my fault for buying through an Amazon third party. Most people send these neat reinforced cardboard sleeves that are great but this one place just threw it in a bigger box.

I left a review about the packaging and now I’m over it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rolo posted:

I think it was just my fault for buying through an Amazon third party. Most people send these neat reinforced cardboard sleeves that are great but this one place just threw it in a bigger box.

I left a review about the packaging and now I’m over it.

The moral of the story is support your local record store.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yep lesson learned.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 15, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If it makes you feel better, Amazon themselves would’ve probably treated it worse.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I’ll be fine and the record plays perfectly. Truth be told I was in a bit of rum when I posted about it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

There’s maybe 2-3 amazon third party sellers I’ve liked that packaged well in my time ordering through them. I hardly use them or amazon though because the track record is rough.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

The moral of the story is support your local record store record collecting is a huge waste of time and money.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Recommended anti-static inner sleeves?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

dantheman650 posted:

Whatever’s on sale.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dantheman650 posted:

Mobile Fidelity.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

CPL593H posted:

Mobile Fidelity.

Any idea what's up with the dozens of reviews claiming they are too small to fit a 12"?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dantheman650 posted:

Any idea what's up with the dozens of reviews claiming they are too small to fit a 12"?

Whiny assholes being dumbfucks. I've been using them for years and the worst thing that happens is very occasionally I have to lay the record on a table and press the air out of the sleeve.

edit: Now that I think of it they're the only replacement sleeves I've ever used.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I can’t determine any difference between mofi sleeves and any other poly lined sleeve except price.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

dantheman650 posted:

I have never had this problem, and I've probably used like a hundred, 150 of them to replace garbage paper sleeves. Not a single problem getting the record in. Getting the inner sleeve into an outer sleeve that's not expecting it? That's a little more troublesome, but not world-ending

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

dantheman650 posted:

Absolute rubbish, never had a problem with them. I did stop using them but only because I found a supplier that makes nice paper polylined sleeves that are half the price of mofi.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

I can’t determine any difference between mofi sleeves and any other poly lined sleeve except price.

I've found them to be the same price as any other poly lined sleeve in the same quantities.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Banano posted:

Absolute rubbish, never had a problem with them. I did stop using them but only because I found a supplier that makes nice paper polylined sleeves that are half the price of mofi.

link? I like the mofis, but paperpoly is the best of both worlds

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

I've found them to be the same price as any other poly lined sleeve in the same quantities.

The kind with the paper on the outside and poly on the inside is usually about half as much.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

The kind with the paper on the outside and poly on the inside is usually about half as much.

Balderdash!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOUsIYESOpM

You nerds happy now? Hope you all got bought those albums....shits about to go up!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I considered jumping on the bandwagon but determined that it’s gonna have to take off without me

Edit: as a tithe i offer up their 1982 appearance on SNL

pwn fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 16, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

midge posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOUsIYESOpM

You nerds happy now? Hope you all got bought those albums....shits about to go up!

It's good stuff. I also love Edgar Wright so I'm really looking forward to the movie.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

A pretty damned awesome video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl1ZrEza7uY

Is that yellow stuff something that DJs do or is that something he did?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It could be worse, you could recieve a record that had loving sand in the sleeve

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

petit choux posted:

He had a record pressed or cut with the sample on colored vinyl. The yellow is just to show you what the dj would “cut” out of a record. In real life that is when the cross fader is moved to “cut out “ the audio from the sample.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

midge posted:

On the flip side maybe it'll give somebody an excuse to make reissues/issue a soundtrack for the documentary?

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Anybody else like this album? It's a childhood nostalgia buy mainly.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

zaepg posted:

Anybody else like this album? It's a childhood nostalgia buy mainly.

Is it their first? I had that one, loved it. On cassette.

SwimNurd posted:

He had a record pressed or cut with the sample on colored vinyl. The yellow is just to show you what the dj would “cut” out of a record. In real life that is when the cross fader is moved to “cut out “ the audio from the sample.

So I guess that would be a tiny bit costly to do, then. Nonetheless it's a really fun video, I'm always dreaming up poo poo like this.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

petit choux posted:

A pretty damned awesome video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl1ZrEza7uY

Pretty sure that the yellow is just a big sticker or piece of plastic on a normal record. You can see and hear the needle jump and click when it hits it.

Here is a code for Eghass Malan

sahelsounds.bandcamp.com/yum

udf9-vwrk

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

sporklift posted:

Pretty sure that the yellow is just a big sticker or piece of plastic on a normal record. You can see and hear the needle jump and click when it hits it.

Here is a code for Eghass Malan

sahelsounds.bandcamp.com/yum

udf9-vwrk

I saw the other day a record house willing to print vinyl for as little as like $100. I'd think they'd be willing and able to make stuff like this that doesn't scratch.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Casual encounter completed. Not bad actually. Was expecting more dad rock but the stuff he had didn’t interest me or I already had it.

Got a Stephane Grappelli record too. Worth the trip.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

I got pretty angry when the mailman decided to fold my 2112 album I ordered from Columbia House into the shape of a U so it would fit into my mailbox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

midge posted:

Hey, if it means they might do a full US tour rather than just a few nights in L.A., I'm all for it.

I don't have enough Sparks vinyl though since I prefer crate digging and they're always out at my stores. I do have this bad boy, though:

:rock: