Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

As someone who has done Franklin’s twice by getting there at like 730 (worth it, don’t at me) 5am for a line up is completely insane to me. That’s well past the point of diminishing returns.

Along those lines, was in Austin this weekend for a work thing my wife had and finally went to La Barbecue. Never went to the trailer, but a 1050 arrival / 1125 food order for its incredible quality was perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

I think I figured it out. They asked the same people who liked this "crawfish boil"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5-qpmaHRaA

This is a very high crime.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I don't care one whit for the 'awesome bbq' places like pecan lodge or franklins. Hutchins and hard eight are much more accessible and just as good, in bougie north of dallas.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I don't care one whit for the 'awesome bbq' places like pecan lodge or franklins. Hutchins and hard eight are much more accessible and just as good, in bougie north of dallas.

I prefer Rudy's to Franklin's and I don't have to show up in the morning to wait to eat, as I imagine there are still lines for that funk.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The key to doing Pecan Lodge is to go through the express line that is 1/4 of the wait and doesn't require anything other than knowing that you're paying $100 and getting all the normal poo poo. That's all the line is for. I wish more places would do the same system.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Most of the long rear end line places let you put in big rear end orders days ahead for a scheduled pick up. Since those are only occasionally places anyways, just split a big order with friends or something to take back home and skip the line.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

can you explain that $100 box more? seems like a decent idea

but yeah I will never understand the folks that wait in line for places like this. I'd rather be at bill millers at dawn on a saturday because at least they have breakfast

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I feel lucky to have a nice local greek/mediterranean eatery nearby who makes good meats in general.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

i say swears online posted:

can you explain that $100 box more? seems like a decent idea

but yeah I will never understand the folks that wait in line for places like this. I'd rather be at bill millers at dawn on a saturday because at least they have breakfast

There's the normal line then an "express line" where you only order "The Trough." You can add on sides as well so if you're with a group you might as well just do that.

THE TROUGH
79 (Serves 4-5)
1 beef rib, 1lb of pork ribs, 1lb brisket, 1/2 lb of pulled pork & 3 sausage links

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah waiting in line at Pecan Lodge is a waste of time, just get the Trough and gently caress off.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Oh and if you're ever in way north DFW, try RibCrib if you see em, place has been super good every time I've had anything from there.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Heim Barbecue was really good the only time I got it, near Lovefield airport. They make a corn dog with any sausage they carry (or a hot dog if you prefer), and their burgers are supposedly really really good but I just got $200 worth of BBQ last time I went with a side corn dog.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

George H.W. oval office posted:

THE TROUGH
79 (Serves 4-5)
1 beef rib, 1lb of pork ribs, 1lb brisket, 1/2 lb of pulled pork & 3 sausage links

too much pork, and just one beef rib is an insult

imo the perfect bbq order is like 75% brisket 25% sausage

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

My brother.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pork owns.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

pork ribs are a trash meat, I'll die on this hill

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Half-brother I guess. Or you’re adopted.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The only good ribs are the ones on the very end of each rack.

Also gently caress brisket, I will continue to die on this hill.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The beef rib at Pecan Lodge is a big boi, though

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Brisket rules, but then I have had some bad like overly dry and gummy brisket before, so experiences vary.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

When brisket is good, it's really good, but most brisket is just disappointing.

Tri-tip is where it's at.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Burnt ends, brisket, all ribs, and sausage.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
All meat is good. Some is most consistent to prepare good. Some is better than others when done right.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Coppell’s Hard Eights brisket, sausage, and ribs are garbage tier. Their chicken and turkey is good though. I think it has to do with them keeping it over a pit and it dries out.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Coppell’s garbage tier.

QFT

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The only good ribs are the ones on the very end of each rack.

The problem with brisket is that it takes all day/16 hours to cook, and then it's not guaranteed that it's edible. gently caress that poo poo; cook St. Louis/baby back ribs or pork belly in 5-6 hours and enjoy three days of leftovers as opposed to 10 pounds of tripe.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

IT BURNS posted:

The problem with brisket is that it takes all day/16 hours to cook, and then it's not guaranteed that it's edible. gently caress that poo poo; cook St. Louis/baby back ribs or pork belly in 5-6 hours and enjoy three days of leftovers as opposed to 10 pounds of tripe.

https://twitter.com/coralation/status/1393657620934836227?s=21

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

IT BURNS posted:

You have full control over how "edible" it is at the end of the 16 hrs. Set your temp appropriately (maybe 230, down to 215 it's a thick boi) and start doing stab checks at 195 or so.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This kind of talk is going to get you deported from Texas

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

And it comes with plenty of lovely white bread and pickles. And hopefully a decent potato salad but everyone fucks that one up

IT BURNS posted:

Just own a decent sized dog or two. Problem solved.

E: Or a particularly non fussy and big as hell housecat idk

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 17, 2021

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We used to go eat at Artz all the time before it closed and I'd always get their pork ribs which were like massive porkchops with a sliver of bone in them. Great poo poo, really miss Artz's.

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/1394090593672994822

Lookin good everbody

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
And all he needed to do was nothing for long enough and let someone else handle it and he'd get to take credit eventually.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Seems like he's thanking us, the Texans of Texas.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Just give him a minute.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anyway as the only Real Texan posting itt, your welcome.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

zoux posted:

my welcome what?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

excuse you, i am from literally the heart of texas

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

zoux posted:

We used to go eat at Artz all the time before it closed and I'd always get their pork ribs which were like massive porkchops with a sliver of bone in them. Great poo poo, really miss Artz's.

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/1394090593672994822

Lookin good everbody

Thanks Greg! We Texans appreciate all your hard work in ensuring so many extra people would die to pacify your insane base. This day wouldn't have felt nearly as good if only 10,000 of us died from COVID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

BBQ chat: the brisket torpedos at Ten50 in Dallas are enough to be a good meal with some sides. Do not attempt to combine with a regular order of meat. Or do, I’m not your dad.

HEB is selling brisket queso that you grill or oven bake. I may give it a shot this weekend.

Grape jelly makes meatballs good and I will fight this fight until I can’t fight no more because I ate too many meatballs.