Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i think i posted this in here already but now i'm doing it again. an article about Furio's amazing wardrobe.

https://www.gq.com/story/furio-shirts-the-sopranos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Everyone used to say Vito looked just like John Travolta.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Everyone used to say Vito looked just like John Travolta.

I'd forgotten about it but I think the scene where Tony stands up to Johnny Sac and delivers the "gently caress you, he's my fuckin' cousin" line when he refuses to give up Tony B is one of the most stilted and awkward moments in the entire show. It would have landed better if it were anyone else that we know and are shown that Tony loves. Christopher for example.

In fact, having Chris be the catalyst of the entire NY v NJ war would have made a ton more sense and also created a dynamic where Tony sees an easy out to rid himself of Chris and his drug issues but still loves him. Christopher is relapsing, feeling slighted as usual, is getting dicked over by Paulie with money and wavers in his loyalty once again to where he does something impulsive, freelances a contract hit and then fucks it up because he was stoned or something.

Set it AFTER Ade gets whacked to add another layer to the whole thing.

Doing it that way IMO would have been far more earned, even though I'm ultimately fine with Chris' arc and how they handled it. I just can't get past that we're never really SHOWN how much Tony S loves Tony B and it's just handed to us.

Hell, you could have used Paulie since Tony since Tony is increasingly irritated with him (even contemplated whacking him in Remember When), Paulie is shown trying to work both sides, gave up Ralphie's "joke" and has also money issues with Green Grove so a side hit makes sense for him. But he's also pretty loyal overall so then there's still some conflict.

I'm also struck listening to these podcasts at how much Meadow is really being shown as becoming Carmela. She's willfully ignorant, constantly rationalizing, spoiled rotten, still smart enough to know better but constantly dodging responsibility. I don't understand why Jamie, Robert Iler and the actors who played Vito and Finn catch so much poo poo either. They're fine. Sometimes people seem to confuse not liking the character with disliking the actor in this show I think.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jerusalem posted:

Outside of the end of season montages, I believe The Wire made a point of the music ALWAYS being diagetic. This is really used to fantastic effect a lot of times, one that really stands out is Herc (an absolute idiot cop) blasting the Shaft theme during a chase, except while it sounds like a film soundtrack INSIDE the car (and thus, in Herc's head) you get these constant cuts to outside the car/far away which immediately makes it stand out as some middle-aged white bald dude playing tinny music on a lovely police-issue car's crappier stereo, and really highlights the difference between the image he has of himself in his head and how he appears to everybody else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37fAwOkUFbg

I dunno, I don't get this from the clip at all. It just ducks the volume down a bit when outside the car because its less loud being farther away.

Although what you're talking about could totally be a cool thing, I just don't think they were going for that.

But reminds me of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kavxsXhzD48

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't understand why Jamie, Robert Iler and the actors who played Vito and Finn catch so much poo poo either. They're fine. Sometimes people seem to confuse not liking the character with disliking the actor in this show I think.

It's definitely people mixing character and actor, like people going after Anna Gunn in Breaking Bad. People dislike a character so much (really, gently caress AJ) it transfers over to the person portraying them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anna Gunn was pretty wooden when she got introduced in Deadwood. Luckily she got better after the horse incident

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
She could be the literal worst actor in history and still wouldn't deserve how she got treated for being Skylar

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think there was some actual irl drama with Vito's actor that made some of the cast and crew get sick of his poo poo, but I don't know if that's why fans go after him

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think there was some actual irl drama with Vito's actor that made some of the cast and crew get sick of his poo poo, but I don't know if that's why fans go after him

quote:

The cast of “The Sopranos” is furious at Joe Gannascoli, who played gay gangster Vito Spatafore, for doing a series of glowing interviews about James Gandolfini — when in fact they were not close friends and hadn’t talked in years.

Sources tell Page Six that Gandolfini and his series co-stars were turned off years ago by Gannascoli’s “grandstanding” and self-promotion. One said, “After joining the show, Joe hired his own p.r. person and would do all this press for himself, and it just became too much. Jim was very much a team player, and would only do interviews if it was to help someone in the ‘Sopranos’ family, or as a group.

“But Joe was the opposite; he kept grandstanding and it became a turnoff for Jim and [‘Sopranos’ creator] David Chase. It also rubbed most of the cast the wrong way. Then, as soon as Jim died, Joe was grandstanding again. He wasn’t close to Jim. They probably haven’t spoken in around seven years. Some members of the cast feel like Joe is using Jimmy’s death to get his own name out there.”

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I'd forgotten about it but I think the scene where Tony stands up to Johnny Sac and delivers the "gently caress you, he's my fuckin' cousin" line when he refuses to give up Tony B is one of the most stilted and awkward moments in the entire show. It would have landed better if it were anyone else that we know and are shown that Tony loves. Christopher for example.

That would kinda change the whole point of the episode though.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Joseph Gannascoli is the only person that I know of besides Lillo Brancato that was specifically not invited to the con in 2019, and with the latter it’s because he and his friend killed an off-duty cop during a robbery.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Vito acts like a gigantic shithead when Tony is in a coma. That little bit about IRL makes me wonder if that little bit is related.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I mean, all the characters are gigantic shitheads, that's kind of the point :V IIRC even the guys closest to Tony react to the coma like sharks smelling blood in the water, except maybe Silvio.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Flesnolk posted:

I mean, all the characters are gigantic shitheads, that's kind of the point :V IIRC even the guys closest to Tony react to the coma like sharks smelling blood in the water, except maybe Silvio.

Oh for sure, but Vito was always grandstanding about taking over. I never really got that from anyone else.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think furio would have cared if he'd been around for the coma

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Joseph Gannascoli is the only person that I know of besides Lillo Brancato that was specifically not invited to the con in 2019, and with the latter it’s because he and his friend killed an off-duty cop during a robbery.

Lillo was also a piece of poo poo upon release.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2014/01/bronx-explosion-was-a-brancato-release-party.html

The explosion was incredibly loud, everybody was talking about it the next couple of days. I was at a friend's house two miles away when this happened and the whole house shook. The murder scene was a couple blocks away, anybody near definitely jumped out of their chair.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

I think furio would have cared if he'd been around for the coma

He would have tried to pull the plug

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

He would have tried to pull the plug

"there's a bee on your plug!"

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

PerilPastry posted:

"there's a bee on your plug!" "You gotta bee onna you plug!"

Fixed :colbert:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Stupida loving gang

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/mrmsutton/status/1394442428728311809?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

:thunk:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
We're doing a rewatch leading up to the release of Many Saints of Newark in September and I'm loving dying at Livia being obsessed with Larry Boy's shoes. Just interrupting Tony over and over again. "You should get shoes like his!"

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I finally watched the Soprano's for the first time, just finished it over the weekend. Very good show for many reasons, but I think the top reason is the acting. Lots of fantastic performances out of Gandolfini, Falco, Chianese, Imperioli and the crew. Really only a couple of bad performances like Jackie Jr., and they didn't stick around for very long. Writing also did a great job at making consistent and believable characters throughout.

Show seemed to improve with every season. I actually struggled to keep watching after the first couple of seasons because it wasn't grabbing me, and I took kind of a long break before picking it up again. I can barely remember what happened in the first season to be honest.

It was hard to really love the show though because I hated so many of the characters. At the end I really struggled to find one character I actually liked. I was rooting against all of them. AJ and Meadow almost got there, but they regressed right at the end. Maybe that's the point, but it still made it tough. I doubt I'd ever watch this again. I get that one of the themes was how little people change, but I didn't have a lot of sympathy for anyone. Also worked in how most of these people are just born into this life, and have a hard time seeing a way out. I compared this show to The Wire a lot because they both dealt with that theme of being born into a criminal life, and the struggle to escape it. Janice can gently caress right off.

Probably not in my top 5 of shows, but definitely in my top 10. I'd probably rate it higher if I watched it when it aired originally. I knew about the ending, so the cut to black didn't shock me or anything, and I think it was a fantastic ending to the show. Having a definitive ending to Tony would've diminished it I think.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
eyyy

https://twitter.com/salpane/status/1396830732652142595?s=20

Mushroom Zingdom
Jan 28, 2007
Nap Ghost
Check out this beautiful, haunting impressionistic montage from Season 6 set to the music from the outtro of "Blue Comet":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogeq4h_Yjho

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Mushroom Zingdom posted:

Check out this beautiful, haunting impressionistic montage from Season 6 set to the music from the outtro of "Blue Comet":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogeq4h_Yjho

Thank you for this, that was loving amazing.

Season 6 is so goddamn melancholic in all the best ways.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Reminds me of that bit in this show where (I'm pretty sure!) Tony says he feels like he got in at the end of something rather than the beginning

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Man, that was loving bleak.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Pattonesque posted:

Reminds me of that bit in this show where (I'm pretty sure!) Tony says he feels like he got in at the end of something rather than the beginning

Pretty sure this is the central focus of therapy in the pilot!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Pattonesque posted:

yeah, the whole thing is just a long slow roll down the hill.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

That video is great.

I have to say that out of the entire show, my favorite scene was Tony and Paulie out on the boat in Miami. When Tony is pressing Paulie about the joke with Johnny Sack's wife he has this expression that's just unsettling due to the fake friendly expression he's sporting. Gandolfini had such a talent for making Tony look amicable and terrifying at the same time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just jumping on the bandwagon of saying that video was pretty loving great. I love that music.

King Cocoa Butter
Mar 24, 2021

Don't be ashy.
Recently started a re-watch and just hit Commendatori and there are so many great quotes that I totally forgot. It's the first episode we see Furio, so of course we've got his entrance. I actually had to pause when Paulie said "I've got to take a wicked poo poo" because I lost it, just an amazing way to follow up the whole dinner experience.

Edit: Wow Tony really does not like the brutality of the motherland mobsters!

King Cocoa Butter fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 26, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

King Cocoa Butter posted:

Edit: Wow Tony really does not like the brutality of the motherland mobsters!

I love that the kid who threw the fireworks in the first place wails,"I want to join up with you guys!" because apparently he thought throwing fireworks in the vicinity of the head of the mob and his daughter would super-impress everybody. Turns out Tony and America doesn't have the monopoly on dipshit idiots wanting to join up :allears:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I love how those two random mobsters just gesture and go 'Don't worry, this is Naples university!'

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Slap the poo poo out of the kid and punch his mom in the face. Tonys crew never had the makings of a varsity mob.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

Slap the poo poo out of the kid and punch his mom in the face. Tonys crew never had the makings of a varsity mob.

You said that in front of the female Boss, which was very hurtful to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And you thought the Germans were classless pieces of poo poo.