Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Vando posted:

Don't mount things to your helmet. While a bar mount may end up breaking your phone, a helmet mount may end up breaking your brain.

serious gaylord posted:

Just get a go pro.

Where... where do you put the go-pro, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Unsinkabear posted:

Where... where do you put the go-pro, then?

On your handlebars

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Not a nice story but it’s why you never mount your only phone to your bike - yesterday morning my dog found a motorcyclist with a broken leg in a ditch who had been there all night after a hit and run. He’d gone one side of the road, his bike the other and his phone was on the bike as a gps, smashed and with no battery left.

It was a mild night and they said it was a clean break so he should be fine.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

learnincurve posted:

Not a nice story but it’s why you never mount your only phone to your bike - yesterday morning my dog found a motorcyclist with a broken leg in a ditch who had been there all night after a hit and run. He’d gone one side of the road, his bike the other and his phone was on the bike as a gps, smashed and with no battery left.

A sobering reminder that your phone is your lifeline. Keep it safe, keep it charged, don't mount it places that it could get trashed or lost in an accident (bars, helmet, etc).

Relatedly, why bike computers are good for longer rides vs phones. Doesn't drain the battery on your emergency contact device.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Sab0921 posted:

On your handlebars

Doesn't it get a ton of bounce and steering wobble (I guess that part is more for trails than roads) that way?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Guinness posted:

A sobering reminder that your phone is your lifeline. Keep it safe, keep it charged, don't mount it places that it could get trashed or lost in an accident (bars, helmet, etc).

Relatedly, why bike computers are good for longer rides vs phones. Doesn't drain the battery on your emergency contact device.

In the moto accessory realm there's dedicated crash detection devices(spot, garmin, etc) and comms systems that can detect crashes. Smart watches also feature crash detection.

Secondly don't mount a thousand dollar plus device to your bars. It was a known thing in SF with randos that'd grab a phone off of its mount and run.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Unsinkabear posted:

Doesn't it get a ton of bounce and steering wobble (I guess that part is more for trails than roads) that way?

Newer gopros do image stabilization on board, I think. You could also get a chest mount if you're a pro YouTuber.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

learnincurve posted:

holy gently caress

Unsinkabear posted:

Nah, the gopro sorts out all that on board - that's what they're good at.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Unsinkabear posted:

nah, it's great and you've even got good dual mounts for your bike computer plus a gopro.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m now surprised that at the very least the higher end MTBs don’t have the option of GoPro mounts inside the head tube. If they can get ebike batteries safely inside the frame then it should be doable.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Wouldn’t there be a good chance of cables in your shot?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I was thinking hole for the lens to stick out of and then have the main bulk in the tube, maybe extra large battery as well.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

learnincurve posted:

You should be posting this in the UK thread too (the good uk thread)

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

vikingstrike posted:

Wouldn’t there be a good chance of cables in your shot?

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-out-front-gps-computer-with-action-camera-mount

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Thats up and further out than where shes describing in the head tube of the bike? Ive seen those mounts before. Also on a road bike cables are typically neater around the bars the days. Not on a MTB. You still have brake cables normally coming off the front. Maybe it’d work though?

One advantage of wearing it on your chest when riding MTB is that if you eat poo poo the camera might fair a little better.

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 16, 2021

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Also with a chest mount you can pretend to be darth vader if your chest pulse sensor was insufficiently dorky

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Lol.

“Why is walking so slow now?” minicurve

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Rode my bike to see my wife, walked to the Sunday market, ate a Gyro, and rode the bike the short way up hill. I think i did ok considering i have never taken the bike up hill.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Some car insurance policies are invalidated by installing a bike rack

Circling back to this because both this thread and the car-buying thread seem to be in agreement that hitch racks are the best way to live life, so now I somehow find myself excited to put a hitch on my coupe? :psyduck:

Anyway, the only info I could turn up about insurance policies being invalidated by hitches seems to be UK-specific, so I'm hoping it's a regional thing. Has anyone heard of this happening with providers in the States?

E: also I can skip the wiring harness if I'm just using the hitch to haul bikes, right? Could I theoretically add one myself later if I needed it? Because dang, does that add a lot of money to a Uhaul installation.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 16, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

This shot has a lowered seat from before, right? How have you been working out the fit?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Unsinkabear posted:

Circling back to this because both this thread and the car-buying thread seem to be in agreement that hitch racks are the best way to live life, so now I somehow find myself excited to put a hitch on my coupe? :psyduck:

Anyway, the only info I could turn up about insurance policies being invalidated by hitches seems to be UK-specific, so I'm hoping it's a regional thing. Has anyone heard of this happening with providers in the States?

E: also I can skip the wiring harness if I'm just using the hitch to haul bikes, right? Could I theoretically add one myself later if I needed it? Because dang, does that add a lot of money to a Uhaul installation.

You don’t need a wiring harness for a hitch rack. You need those for a trailer if you want your cars lights to work with the lights on the trailer.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Yo, one thing you should know about hitch racks:
If your car has that poo poo where if you're about to back up over a kid it beeps like gently caress and then auto brakes, heads up that reversing with a hitch on is going to make it freak the gently caress out.
It's almost bad enough that I wish I'd gone with a roof rack.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

bicievino posted:

Yo, one thing you should know about hitch racks:
If your car has that poo poo where if you're about to back up over a kid it beeps like gently caress and then auto brakes, heads up that reversing with a hitch on is going to make it freak the gently caress out.
It's almost bad enough that I wish I'd gone with a roof rack.

You should be able to turn that system off for when you've got a hitch rack attached. I can in my Mazda.

Also good times to turn it off are if you are towing, or if its very snowy/icy and the cameras/sensors get all iced over.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
re: camerachat: no-one is going to watch your cycling videos fyi

You'll gather GBs of footage which will clog up all your free space for months, you'll eventually produce one 17-minute "edit", and your SO will "watch" it once with glazed eyes :sigh:

meltie fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 17, 2021

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Guinness posted:

You should be able to turn that system off for when you've got a hitch rack attached. I can in my Mazda.

Also good times to turn it off are if you are towing, or if its very snowy/icy and the cameras/sensors get all iced over.

I believe it is possible but I wasn't able to figure it out in my Prius.
I'm not good at cars tho.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Unsinkabear posted:

Is it cheaper to have the wiring harness installed at the same time as the hitch than later? Sooner or later, if you have a car with a hitch you're going to encounter a trailer you want to pull. "All you have is a hammer" etc.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

meltie posted:

re: camerachat: no-one is going to watch your cycling videos fyi

You'll gather GBs of footage which will clog up all your free space for months, you'll eventually produce one 17-minute "edit", and your SO will "watch" it once with glazed eyes :sigh:

this is true, pov cycling videos are bad

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Dren posted:

They will watch it only if you have something bad happen like a spectacular crash.

Dash cam rules apply!

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Sab0921 posted:

They will watch it only if you have something bad happen like a spectacular crash.

Dash cam rules apply!

Better to have brave and stupid friends that will provide the good content for you.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

resident posted:

Better to have brave and stupid friends that will provide the good content for you.

Like all of the guys behind this guy:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Wellthatsucks/comments/ndbdfh/time_for_a_little_drink/

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

kimbo305 posted:

This shot has a lowered seat from before, right? How have you been working out the fit?

Yes

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Its a decent runabout for the money. Don't sacrifice fit for a higher spec. If theres something similar with disc brakes I'd get that over rim brakes, that's my only complaint. For 7 speed it's got some major improvements over the more budget tourney shifter brake combos and the rear derailleur is bulletproof. With the bike shortage you should jump on it if it's the only thing they have in your price range.

Samopsa posted:

Just ordered my first ''real'' bike after having tons of fun on my budget triban road racer the past two years.
A giant TCR 1 disc (ultegra). One of the last ones available at the moment in size S, goddamn the supply problems are real. Otherwise I would've gone for the 105 version, or a defy perhaps, but eh.

Gonna turn my triban into a commuting/touring bike. Gonna add a rack, flat pedals, and some semi-permanent mudguards.
i want everyone to know that i agree with these posts

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Dren posted:

Follow cam friday is actually very good.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

vikingstrike posted:

Follow cam friday is actually very good.

hadn’t seen those

they’re different in that he’s following someone the whole time so the vid is about that other rider, which is way better than pov footage with just whatever track/road is in front of you (super boring). still, footage from other angles is so much better. the pov angle can make even big drops look very boring.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It looks really low. How bent is your leg at the bottom of the pedal stroke?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

ExecuDork posted:

Is it cheaper to have the wiring harness installed at the same time as the hitch than later? Sooner or later, if you have a car with a hitch you're going to encounter a trailer you want to pull. "All you have is a hammer" etc.

Good point, and surprisingly, no. Just checked their scheduling tool and it costs the same to install the wiring separately later.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Dren posted:

hadn’t seen those

they’re different in that he’s following someone the whole time so the vid is about that other rider, which is way better than pov footage with just whatever track/road is in front of you (super boring). still, footage from other angles is so much better. the pov angle can make even big drops look very boring.

All gopro footage makes trail features look dumb regardless of camera position imo. Even on world cup dh theyll have massively steep sections and it doesnt look “that bad.”

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

It looks really low. How bent is your leg at the bottom of the pedal stroke?

Fully extended barefooted, they might bend a little if i have shoes on. I have short legs

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

bicievino posted:

It does not, but it does have a borderline mandatory backup camera that I just realized will probably be covered by the hitch rack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ElMaligno posted:

Fully extended barefooted, they might bend a little if i have shoes on. I have short legs

Turns out i was full of poo poo and underestimated how far my knee bent.