Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Ok, Imagine the Taurian Concordat is America.

The Aurigan Directorate / Arano Restoration is a small chain of islands in the South Pacific in the midst of a civil war, and we just sank an aircraft carrier.

Edit: At its height, the Arano Restoration can field one entire battalion of BattleMechs.

The Taurian Concordat can field at least a battalion on every single one of their planets.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I suppose she's worried that they're going to use it as an excuse to take over wholesale, but it doesn't seem like it would be an immediate concern if the benefit of them as a buffer state is real. All backyard level poo poo rather than a full political hand grenade.

Unless she already knew that captain dad was extremely fond of his son and would go rogue immediately.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

I suppose she's worried that they're going to use it as an excuse to take over wholesale

It's this. This gives the Taurian's an excuse not to "help their allies" but to annex the entire region, which they could accomplish in under a year if they put their minds to it. This entire area is essentially full of failed Taurian colony worlds, and they have a habit of seizing any world in the region that grows prosperous enough to benefit them economically.

The Aurigan Coalition has virtually no value as a buffer state. They're right on the Taurian border and jammed up next to the extremely hostile Capellan Confederation. The Coalition's only value to the Magistracy of Canopus is as a distraction, especially since the Taurians are chomping at the bit to declaring war on the Federated Suns after parties unknown hit the Taurians with a big poison gas attack and killed 10,000+ civilians.

The Taurians getting a bee in their bonnet and ruining everything is a huge concern for the Magistracy because, in 3025, we're ten years into the longest period of peace the Inner Sphere has seen in 300 years (the 3rd Succession War ended in 3015).

The Taurians are a big angry fish in a small, stagnant pond; but pull back the camera a little bit it's easy to see why the Magistracy is so terrified. If the Taurians start the all-out war with the Federated Suns they think they want, the 12 or so regiments they can field in 3025 are a drop in the bucket compared to the 98-135 or so that the Federated Suns is currently mustering. If the Taurian's successfully start the 4th Succession War with their bullheadedness, and if the Great Houses were turn their baleful attention to the periphery (instead of focusing on killing each other like they did the last three times), every minor nation could get swept off the map in a matter of months. Would the Magistracy survive another Succession War? Probably. But their closest neighbor in the Free Worlds League is the Duchy of Andurien, which is politically unstable at the best of times.

Letting the Succession Wars go hot again is the last thing the Magistracy wants and Kamea very nearly blew it when she blew up the Newgrange.

TLDR:
Magistracy of Canopus: "Oh, thank god. We've had a few years to recover economically and can start improving our holdings!"
Taurian Concordat: "I'ma nuke the Federated Suns."
Magistracy of Canopus: "Don't you do it!"
Taurian Concordat: "I'ma do it!"
Magistracy of Canopus: "Nooo--hey, look, a squirrel!"
Taurian Concordat: "Where?! Ima hunt me a varmint!"

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 16, 2021

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

goatface posted:

I think it's the way she storms in going "You have no idea what you've just done!". I guess that's just her talking about the war with the Taurians going public and hot, but it sounds a lot like a "forces beyond our ken will be unleashed!" line. Like you just blew up a ship full of proto-wobbies who'd been using that prison camp to test out neural interface technologies, hence the people with broken brains.

The Taurians are so far beyond the Aurigans in power they might as well be the SLDF. That guy has three times the military as the entire Aurigan army and he's just one officer.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
3025:
Taurian Concordat: 12 well-maintained BattleMech regiments (and this is deceptive, the Taurians use four-company battalions instead of the standard 3, so it's more like 16 well-maintained BattleMech regiments)
Arano Restoration: 0.33 BattleMech regiments

The Iberia, the Fortress-class DropShip we were just introduced to, can deploy a force equivalent to every BattleMech Kamea can field.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 16, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah, but they're limited to stock configs and can't use precision shot.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I always thought the Newgrange was supposed to be a direct analog to the Lusitania. I'm not the best WWI scholar, but if my limited memory serves, popular theory was that ship was also a civilian transport that was pulling double duty as a gunrunner, whose sinking prompted a previously uninvolved nation to enter a war directly, rather than just tacitly supporting one side from behind the scenes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

McGavin posted:

Also some of them are 60 tonners, so those are freebies

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

McGavin posted:

"Oh yeah, I tota--totally shaved Morgan Kell'sh life onch, with my old unit, Markhamsh Maraudersh. Buy me anudder beer and I'll tell yoush all about the time we beat Natasha Kerenshky and the Bounty Hunter!"

"Sure thing, Dekker. Whatever you say."

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

"Oh yeah, I tota--totally shaved Morgan Kell'sh life onch, with my old unit, Markhamsh Maraudersh. Buy me anudder beer and I'll tell yoush all about the time we beat Natasha Kerenshky and the Bounty Hunter!"

"Sure thing, Dekker. Whatever you say."

Dekker then goes on to change his callsign to Spectre and win the Solaris grand championship in his rookie year before single-handedly ending the FedCom Civil War.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
And that man's name was Devlin Stone.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gothsheep posted:

Dekker then goes on to change his callsign to Spectre and win the Solaris grand championship in his rookie year before single-handedly ending the FedCom Civil War.

Then he dies in a nuclear fireball the moment the credits stop rolling.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

As for the MB speculation, I presume that's also a hook for any possible sequels. There really is, unfortunately, only one way to go after the 3025 era stuff.

There's a lot you COULD do with that setting, but I doubt my idea of making proper batchalls or some kinda honor system is gonna be in that.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

and 12 mech regiments isn't not going to count off the book forces like noble's private reserves of mechs and other nasty things.

It is actually probably a GOOD Thing that Ostergaard very much wants his revenge PERSONALLY, because he is likely pulling favors and strings to limit what the Concordant could really send so he can go for it himself. Otherwise it wouldn't be a Fortress class coming for Kamea, it would be a pack of overlords dropping on every planet.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

evilmiera posted:

There really is, unfortunately, only one way to go after the 3025 era stuff.

*nod* the War of 3039, the best the game has ever been and likely ever will be.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Just skip straight to the ilClan stuff.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Technowolf posted:

Just skip straight to the ilClan stuff.

Agreed.

Also: welp, the endings to Mechwarrior 2 are finally canon. :v:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Agreed.

Also: welp, the endings to Mechwarrior 2 are finally canon. :v:

BOTH of them??

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
The more that I play BattleTech, and watch Poptarts play, the weirder the mission design becomes. There are so many "Go here, do the thing, then extract" missions that I end up shortcutting the last bit of by wiping out the OpFor, and it seems like there's never really a reason to not do that. Nor does it seem like it's ever particularly convenient or even beneficial to do so? Heck, sometimes I kill the enemy mechs, go to do the thing, and then it's like "Extract here" followed immediately by "Oh you wiped everyone out never mind".

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You used to have to extract, but HBS changed it after people complained.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I can see why, especially if it takes several turns to get to the extraction point.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

"Everybody is dead, you just win now" is honestly a great QOL thing. You're not operating under a time limit of any kind and there's no threat to you at all, so skip the busywork and just call it a win.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Bacchante posted:

The more that I play BattleTech, and watch Poptarts play, the weirder the mission design becomes. There are so many "Go here, do the thing, then extract" missions that I end up shortcutting the last bit of by wiping out the OpFor, and it seems like there's never really a reason to not do that. Nor does it seem like it's ever particularly convenient or even beneficial to do so? Heck, sometimes I kill the enemy mechs, go to do the thing, and then it's like "Extract here" followed immediately by "Oh you wiped everyone out never mind".

The only time I use the extract zone is for the recovery missions. You can take in a single mech (usually a modded Firestarter) sprint to the objective and book it to the extraction. You generate enough move mods that the enemy doesn’t normally get a hit and its easy money if you min/max the salvage sliders.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The extraction zone is pretty vital in beacon missions, too.

In Career Mode, I ran a beacon mission with four locusts just to show off. I'm still salty I lost that footage.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Catzilla posted:

The only time I use the extract zone is for the recovery missions. You can take in a single mech (usually a modded Firestarter) sprint to the objective and book it to the extraction. You generate enough move mods that the enemy doesn’t normally get a hit and its easy money if you min/max the salvage sliders.

This goes to show how multiple approaches are viable, since I treat recovery missions like battles, go for high salvage since they usually offer good salvage terms but bad money, and walk away with lots of mech parts. I usually won't even enter either target zone until everything on the field is dead.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Gothsheep posted:

We know it's not him because I know what Spectre does when dropships are incoming and I certainly didn't see him giggle while poking holes in their engines before they could land.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I just typically go for the Steiner Scout Lance approach to achieving the mission. IE: They can't contest the objective if they're all dead.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Poptarts, would you be willing to show off that alternate way of doing the missions? Just having Decker and his spider ninja in/out to complete the objective.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sure, easy enough. It only works on certain mission types, but I can equip the back-up Spider as a ninja capper.

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
The one time I had to use a extraction zone, the stupid landing craft LANDED ON MY MECHWARRIOR AND KILLED THEM!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Doesn’t the game always warn you where the ship will drop?

Send help I’m lost in the sauce watching Tex Talks Battletech videos.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

girl dick energy posted:

Doesn’t the game always warn you where the ship will drop?

Yes, it does. It also warns you if you are going to move into a place where the ship will drop.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

pun pundit posted:

There is a large distance between "bad mech pilot" and what PTN is doing in this LP. A lot of it is down to mech design, too.
E: You could be a mediocre or even decent mech commander and still struggle with these missions if you didn't design amazing murderbots.

It's a little of both, honestly. More the mech design than the piloting though.

Thanks for the details PTN!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Shinarato posted:

The one time I had to use a extraction zone, the stupid landing craft LANDED ON MY MECHWARRIOR AND KILLED THEM!

I've had this happen on an extraction mission too, just in the extraction zone, when I first played the game. I think it's a fairly rare bug with early builds.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It annoys me that it just does it when you clear the fight. You cannot ask them to wait for a few seconds while you get out of the way, they apparently cannot see the friendly battlemech standing there. There is no rush but they crush a valuable resource into paste. It's just rude.

On a different note, I would like to see you find a good use for a mortar.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

I would like to see you find a good use for a mortar.

There isn't one.

There's barely an edge use for the Bull Shark's thumper (you can use it to inconvenience light 'Mech swarms or take out all the objective buildings at once), and that's significantly stronger than the mortar.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

goatface posted:

It annoys me that it just does it when you clear the fight. You cannot ask them to wait for a few seconds while you get out of the way, they apparently cannot see the friendly battlemech standing there. There is no rush but they crush a valuable resource into paste. It's just rude.

Counterpoint: Why can't they land the leopard when there is an enemy standing in the landing area and crush them for me?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

girl dick energy posted:

Send help I’m lost in the sauce watching Tex Talks Battletech videos.

He's supposed to have a new video out around Thursday. May 20, Tukayyid Day.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

IMJack posted:

He's supposed to have a new video out around Thursday. May 20, Tukayyid Day.

Never Forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Rorahusky posted:

Never Forget.

I won't. Just thinking of all those poor innocent Clanners who got cheated of their victory :(