Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You need a different set of muscles for riding than other activities. It’s much more about legs, core and arms. You’ll get used to it

Also make sure you aren’t death gripping the bars and your body isn’t locked up solid. New riders tend to be really tense and rigid. That’s exhausting, stay loose.

I think my posture isn't too bad. The only bodily aches I noticed today was the throttle hand which was obviously gripping too hard, the body felt loose otherwise. What makes me tired is mental. It's like the concentration and general sensory overload makes me sleepy and empty-headed afterwards. I made a few sloppy mistakes towards the end of today's session too, nothing dangerous but mistakes nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

This wasn't covered in MSF
Downshifting - If you downshift from a high gear to a low gear you can redline the engine or burnout. That was covered.

If I am in normal traffic, I shift up and down as needed.
If I am say turning left or right, I might be going 50mph. I have been coasting with the clutch in and downshifting to like second for the turn. Is that really bad?

I do have a slipper clutch. And it seems like it isn't causing a problem as long as I am at an appropriate speed before releasing the clutch. 2nd gear seems pretty appropriate for a 90 degree turn onto a side street.

A friend always downshifts through each gear and we were talking about it.

A few times I will go from like 6th to 3rd intentionally, just have to rev match before releasing the clutch. It seems pretty natural.

For a red light I just coast with the clutch in down to first.

Tl;Dr is coasting with the clutch in and dropping several gears at at a time bad for some reason with downshifting, as long as you don't release the clutch at an inappropriate speed?

I'm going to go and say no, this is bad, downshift through the gears. Coasting with the clutch pulled is extremely bad and lazy technique, the bike is not designed to ride like that and you're robbing yourself of a lot of stability and grip by doing it. You should have more than enough time to downshift through the gears while braking. If you're doing it because it feels like you haven't got enough time to get everything done before the turn, you are leaving things way too late, not planning enough,probably slowing down way too much, probably leaving it far too late before getting back on the through.

Invalido posted:

I think my posture isn't too bad. The only bodily aches I noticed today was the throttle hand which was obviously gripping too hard, the body felt loose otherwise. What makes me tired is mental. It's like the concentration and general sensory overload makes me sleepy and empty-headed afterwards. I made a few sloppy mistakes towards the end of today's session too, nothing dangerous but mistakes nonetheless.

This isn't a bike thing it's an eating thing, your body is running out of energy to fuel your brain.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've been going through some severe life anxiety recently so I haven't taken the bike out much. When I did it felt kind of squirrelly like I forgot what I was doing and that didn't really help my anxiety so I kind of parked it for a few weeks. Finally felt in a good headspace today and nothing was bothering me so I finally threw my leg over it again and man it feels so goooood to be out there. Any rust felt like it fell off after a few corners and I really seemed like I was doing all the things I reminded myself to all offseason. Look into your turns, careful on the front brakes, relax your arms, just felt much more calm and relaxed than I have in a long long time.

Especially after I topped up my tire pressure. I was almost 10psi off each :ohdear:

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Slavvy posted:

I'm going to go and say no, this is bad, downshift through the gears. Coasting with the clutch pulled is extremely bad and lazy technique, the bike is not designed to ride like that and you're robbing yourself of a lot of stability and grip by doing it. You should have more than enough time to downshift through the gears while braking. If you're doing it because it feels like you haven't got enough time to get everything done before the turn, you are leaving things way too late, not planning enough,probably slowing down way too much, probably leaving it far too late before getting back on the through.

Nah, I am just lazy. When I say coast I mean like I'm doing it for 5 seconds or less before putting on brakes to an appropriate speed to take a turn. I'm just not engine braking much. I don't feel like I am lacking time to downshift. I'm in gear and rolling the throttle in a turn. Just for a bit up to the turn I've been coasting.

I think the concensus is it is not the best technique. At least I should downshift as speed drops so I am in a position to apply power without any needed time to change gears. Thanks.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 13, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

5 seconds is an eternity, at 80km/h 5 seconds is over a hundred meters of coasting with the clutch pulled in.

Do you understand that the brakes, throttle and engine braking all load the suspension and tyres in different ways, and those are carefully calibrated to give you maximum grip and stability? Cause coasting with the clutch throws all that in the bin, takes away the most important control you have, and guarantees a lurching instability if you get it even slightly wrong on the let-out.

Also a good example of why learning on small bikes is a good idea cause on a big bike you would already have crashed from doing this.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 13, 2021

antipope
May 2, 2021

by Nyc_Tattoo
You should always downshift sequentially through the gears, unless engine braking heavily (which should only be in close-to-emergency situations, and even then probably unnecessary - the brakes probably aren't at the limit). You dont need to go all the way down to 2nd just for a corner- this bike will happily corner at 30kmph in 4th. I mean it really depends on the corner. And traffic. I use 2nd mostly when engine braking down before clutching in, shifting down to first, and rolling to a stop at red lights etc. If it feels wrong/jerky downshifting you probably are leaving the clutch in for too long thus allowing too much time for the engine rpms to drop. This might be because you are otherwise letting the clutch out too fast, which is tempting on this bike because the clutch is so light and the gearing so forgiving. Or just not rev matching properly/at all. None of which is good technique. It might be acceptable in otherwise optimum road conditions but you will probably realise the limits and have to unlearn the behaviour.

I installed the Cyclops H4 5000 lumen LED headlight bulb- it rocks. Accept no ebay imitations. The stock setup is unsafe at night imo.

VVV I think it depends on the draw wattage? The ebay cheapie didnt state the draw so I assume it was too low to be substantially brighter than stock. The cyclops is 35w, which I think is ok for the battery. The 10k advertises 55w which might be too high.

antipope fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 14, 2021

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The integrated type multi lens 5"/7" LED headlight things are so much better than even an H4 LED bulb though. It's amazing how good they are. If you can fit one in your headlight shell you gotta install that.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Could you recommend an integrated/monster eye type that performs like you are referring to? The one on my hawk is very nice but is absolutely unsafe to use at night. I have headlamps I'd trust more to ride with, and I avoid riding after dark with it.

Meanwhile, every cyclops LED dropin I've used is like the sun.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Invalido posted:

Ok, I didn’t realize you meant mentally. Keep hydrated, fuel up your body before you ride.

As a newer rider you are also working a lot harder to actually ride than someone who has been on a bike for a while because it’s new to you and you’re analyzing absolutely everything. Eventually you get used to the sensory overload and it stops overloading you.

That will get better with time. For now just stop and take breaks before you burn out. A quick 10 minute rest and a water/coffee/soda/whatever can do wonders.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Not discounting the mental strain of noticing/analysing/stressing on everything, which was defintely a thing for me too (still is!), but what I found was that my car-driver brain was thinking of operating a vehicle as "sitting", and at least in terms of actual energy expended, riding's probably closer to walking than sitting. So I'd be "mentally tired" after a 3 hour ride but would feel almost entirely normal again after drinking a couple liters of water and eating something. It took me an embarrassingly long time to realise what was going on.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 14, 2021

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ok, I didn’t realize you meant mentally. Keep hydrated, fuel up your body before you ride.

As a newer rider you are also working a lot harder to actually ride than someone who has been on a bike for a while because it’s new to you and you’re analyzing absolutely everything. Eventually you get used to the sensory overload and it stops overloading you.

That will get better with time. For now just stop and take breaks before you burn out. A quick 10 minute rest and a water/coffee/soda/whatever can do wonders.

Yeah I figured as much. Actually last ride was better than the one before that, the brain is pretty good at filtering stuff out with a bit of practice. We rode for about half an hour to a café and had water, coffee and cinnamon rolls. It seems to be what bikers do when the weather is good - ride somewhere, eat/drink something, ride back. It's just that on the way back I only had about 15 minutes of concentration left in me, the rest was on poorly executed autopilot. Lesson learned. Also drink more water I guess, gear is sweaty.

On my way home from my instructor's place where the bike is parked I drove by car along a really twisty back road that is infamous for bikers killing themselves - my instructor refuses to ride this road because of other bikers doing dangerous stuff. I saw a freshly wrecked sports bike on the side of the road. The rider was OK but it was food for thought regardless. I also got passed by a group on choppers, the last two guys passing me in a blind cresting corner where things could have ended badly had there been opposite traffic. Not all riders are terribly smart it would seem. Group rides leading to poor decisions seems to be true.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Group rides are a recipe for disaster generally.

Unless you’re riding with a close friend and you two are on the same wavelength you may as well be riding with a drunk stranger in my experience.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The group rides I've been on have actually contained drunk strangers so checks out. Never doing any of that again.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

The bike I want is 250m away, I've never ridden on public roads and the dealer isn't willing to arrange for shipping/delivery. Rent a uhaul?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

bizwank posted:

The bike I want is 250m away, I've never ridden on public roads and the dealer isn't willing to arrange for shipping/delivery. Rent a uhaul?

Depends on what kind of care you have. You can rent a trailer if you have a hitch. Otherwise, you can probably rent a full size van. Just make sure you have a way to get the bike into the back.

Also, super weird the dealer won't arrange for shipping/delivery. Maybe someone on here will help - where are you?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I have no car; am in Seattle, bike is in Eugene. Thinking some combination of renting a car to get down there, then a pickup/van/box truck back will be my cheapest option. Ramps are the sticking point though.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

bizwank posted:

I have no car; am in Seattle, bike is in Eugene. Thinking some combination of renting a car to get down there, then a pickup/van/box truck back will be my cheapest option. Ramps are the sticking point though.

One-way rentals tend to be much more expensive than same place drop-off rentals, make sure you look at a lot of prices.

Moving vans come with ramps, though it's admittedly terrifying to ride a motorcycle up one the first time. Doubly so a brand new bike you just bought.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Since the dealership won’t ship the bike at least make them help you push it up the ramps.

Rent a truck round trip. As mentioned, one way is more expensive.

Just shop around online for the best truck rental price with a low ingress box and a set of rental ramps (some come with them)

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

bizwank posted:

I have a Tacoma, live in Portland, am fully antibodied up on the 17th and work a compressed schedule. hit me up bro

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

bizwank posted:

I rented a trailer for my Escape because I didn't have my license yet. Yeah. U-haul should work. Bring tie downs! You can go through the fork or use canyon dancers.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

But Not Tonight posted:

I have a Tacoma, live in Portland, am fully antibodied up on the 17th and work a compressed schedule. hit me up bro

:hellyeah:

Looking forward to the day I have a Tacoma :unsmith:

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I love my taco, it's by far my most favorite four-wheeled vehicle I've owned in my life.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I rented a trailer for my Escape because I didn't have my license yet. Yeah. U-haul should work. Bring tie downs! You can go through the fork or use canyon dancers.

having used canyon dancers a few times before - don't bother with them, they're unnecessary at best and can break poo poo/bend your bars at worst

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

But Not Tonight posted:

Glorious. Love to see this.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Just buy a folding ramp. They aren't expensive, you're almost certainly gonna need it more than once, and it lets you borrow a mate's trailer or van or whatever in future without worrying about how you're gonna get the bike up there.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I plug this all the time but I got this wheel chock to move my MT07 in a box truck and it was perfect. https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-lb-capacity-motorcycle-standwheel-chock-61670.html

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

But Not Tonight posted:

Wow that's loving amazingly generous of you, thank you. Taking it to PMs...

Edit: ramp ordered

bizwank fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 15, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You meet the nicest people in a Tacoma

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've got a 4 runner and I'll either replace it with another 4runner or a Tacoma when it finally dies. At 200k and no hints of that happening anytime soon. I love my 4 runner but a pickup would be nice with my bike.

Curious to see the new generation 4 runner though.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Got the new tires my brother's dad gave me on the bike today, sorta.

Shop said the rear was too wide for the wheel and wouldn't mount it, I mentioned I thought it was too big as well, they looked at the brand new michelin pilot power 2ct that I had brought in and said I could trade them for a set of new metzeler sportec M7 RRs in the correct size. I did a quick google and they looked comparable and needed new tires asap.

Successfully scrubbed off the new tire coating by just chillin and listening to some tunes on my 50 km ride. The new tires definitely feel a ton better.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 16, 2021

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Given how poo poo most drivers are, I'm thinking a headcam would be wise for insurance purposes; I have no desire to use footage for anything else. Recommendations for something with good battery life/image quality that I can mostly set and forget?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Ghost Drift XL has good battery life but may be discontinued? Can’t speak to quality and the design is too bulky for my tastes. They have a 4K version now but battery life is “only” 3 hours instead of 8. I guess it has an expansion pack to bring you up to 5 hours, but then it’s even bulkier. 5 hours is pretty good though.

I have a Sena 10c evo which has pretty good quality but only 1.5hr battery life. Fine for commuting but for longer rides you need to figure something out. I put a small battery in my chest pocket and connect to that. Not great either but I’m not sure what else to do! Maybe a camera on the bars and connected to an accessory socket would be best.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

bizwank posted:

Given how poo poo most drivers are, I'm thinking a headcam would be wise for insurance purposes; I have no desire to use footage for anything else. Recommendations for something with good battery life/image quality that I can mostly set and forget?

Drift Ghost XL is what I use for exactly this purpose. The battery life is truly fantastic, it's the selling point for the camera imo. The video quality is merely okay (you won't be scoping license plates farther than 10-20 feet) and the audio is uselessly bad unless you're stopped. It's turn-on-and-forget and chops video into little 3-5 minute clips like a dashcam does.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Specs look decent but dang that thing is huge. I guess there are bike dashcam systems, that seems like more what I want; don't gotta worry about battery life or if my head is pointing the right direction to catch what I need it to. Will probably wait till I have the bike to see if there's adequate mounting points for something like that though.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

It's pretty small in cross section, nothing like a GoPro. It doesn't stick that much further out than my Sena control unit. A camera mounted and wired directly to the bike is less work to keep using, but also extremely stealable.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you just want a “this dude hit me, officer” camera then any of the “motorcycle” dashcams on Aliexpress or amazon will probably give you enough for police work. The footage will be poo poo if you want to use it for anything else, but it’s probably the best “it’s there and now I never have to think of it again” solution there is. Just mount two cameras on either extremity of your bike, if you have an ignition switched accessory circuit you don’t even need to worry about the thing running down your battery, stuff everything under the seat and remember to check the sd card for corruption every now and then.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Martytoof posted:

any of the “motorcycle” dashcams on Aliexpress or amazon will probably give you enough for police work.

They’re pretty chunky tho. I bought the smallest I could find and the only way of fitting it in my naked XSR would have been replacing the battery with a SFF lithium.

Not a problem if you have fairings to hide it behind. But worth considering.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah too true, I keep forgetting I have a big plastic box on two wheels. If it were more minimalist I’d probably struggle to hide it tastefully.

E: for clarity, I don’t actually have a dashcam. I just ride with a GoPro that I always forget/never bother to turn on.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Martytoof posted:

If you just want a “this dude hit me, officer” camera then any of the “motorcycle” dashcams on Aliexpress or amazon will probably give you enough for police work. The footage will be poo poo if you want to use it for anything else, but it’s probably the best “it’s there and now I never have to think of it again” solution there is. Just mount two cameras on either extremity of your bike, if you have an ignition switched accessory circuit you don’t even need to worry about the thing running down your battery, stuff everything under the seat and remember to check the sd card for corruption every now and then.
Yeah I'm looking at something like the INNOVV K3, where I can set it up and more or less forget about it unless I need some footage for an accident/insurance claim. This is assuming I can find inconspicuous places to stick the cameras, which I don't think will be too difficult on the MT-03 (the front, anyway). It's even got a parking mode which I might employ since it will be parked in an apt building garage, tho I'm also considering keeping a locked cover over it all the time so that may be less useful. That all just sounds much easier to me then having something on the side of my helmet that I have to remember to turn on/off, remove and charge, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don’t know how similar the 03 is to the 07 but this guy seems to have a fairly tidy setup:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/innovv-c5-installed-on-a-yamaha-mt07.30560/

Though I mean it’s there for everyone to see so it might not be as inconspicuous as you might want for sure.