Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Only sunnis appreciate the historical significance of Petra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
How can you tell where there are monuments and how do you build them?

Asking for a friend.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Would it be worth getting Leviathan at this point? I don't mind if it's buggy as long as it's not widespread and broken in unfun ways.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

MuffinsAndPie posted:

Would it be worth getting Leviathan at this point? I don't mind if it's buggy as long as it's not widespread and broken in unfun ways.

Not much more broken than the average expansion at this point

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

MuffinsAndPie posted:

I would wait for the next patch tbh, depending on what you want to play within the patch there's still some bugs that make the whole thing play not as intended. Stuff like the Majapahit event not firing until a save reload, I think there's still bugs relating to forming countries and not getting new national ideas? And I think the zoroastrian religion still spits out coptic events because the code was copied directly from there, events included.

I was a bit impatient, but I figured after three post-release patches it was worth checking out, but if you're not feeling particularly impatient I'd recommend waiting until 1.31.4 to play without the remaining jank.

Bugs aside, it's got a lot of fun stuff in it. There's enough content for two or three unique/interesting playthroughs with the revamped nations in SEA without getting repetitive.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

I currently own all the major DLCs except for Emperor and Leviathan, and am jonesing to play some EU4 for a change. Which game version should I play? Or, is the correct answer "buy Emperor and/or Leviathan"?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Revert to the patch that art of war came with

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Tuna-Fish posted:

I currently own all the major DLCs except for Emperor and Leviathan, and am jonesing to play some EU4 for a change. Which game version should I play? Or, is the correct answer "buy Emperor and/or Leviathan"?

Play on the latest patch and get Emperor and Leviathan when they go on sale. Or revert to 1.30.6 and play Anbennar.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Buy leviathan and revert to the release version.

Seriously though I think both of them are good, just maybe not full price good. If they aren't on sale, I don't think it would be a horrible deal to get the subscription for a month and see what you think. It's like half of the price of leviathan atm.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Emperor isn't very good. The DLC parts work but nothing is all that impressive. The AI in 1.30 also sucks.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Push it to the limit. Walk along the razors edge

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
On playing leviathan at release, the thing I noticed most was how much performance had taken a hit. Did anyone notice this and has it been resolved?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Dorkopotamis posted:

On playing leviathan at release, the thing I noticed most was how much performance had taken a hit. Did anyone notice this and has it been resolved?

Yeah its much better, it seems about where it was before the DLC on my potato pc

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Aww man my super good Majapahit game isn't viable with latest patch.

Then again I can do better this time restarting. I was behind in tech. I always end up behind in tech.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mechanics question: If I declare war on a country that's allied to one of my tributaries and the tributary joins the war against me, will a white peace bring back their tributary status with me, or will I have to select the force tributary peace option in order to keep them?

edit: the answer to this is no. it's what i figured, but it's kind of unfortunate as majapahit, everyone you can declare war on is probably allied to at least one of your tributaries. every war costs a shitload of AE.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 17, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I haven't played SEA since then the last update, but if everyone is your tributary doesn't that mean AE doesn't really matter? It's not like they can join a coalition as subjects anyway.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Mechanics question: If I declare war on a country that's allied to one of my tributaries and the tributary joins the war against me, will a white peace bring back their tributary status with me, or will I have to select the force tributary peace option in order to keep them?

edit: the answer to this is no. it's what i figured, but it's kind of unfortunate as majapahit, everyone you can declare war on is probably allied to at least one of your tributaries. every war costs a shitload of AE.

I really didn't find AE to be much of an issue - Majapahit starts with an AE reduction tradition, and you can pick up even more AE reduction from the age bonus and one of the hindu deities. When you get involved in a war that brings in one of your starting tributaries, just re-tributary them in the peace deal and don't do anything else, as you get a mission to turn them into vassals anyway. Don't conquer Bali, because it's got a monument at stage 2 and if you conquer it instead of annex it as a vassal, the monument will drop a level. You need six vassals for one of the missions, so you want to be vassalising in peace deals rather than annexing - I conquered Sunda and Sulawesi but just vassalised the countries on Borneo and one of the two spice island states. I didn't really bother with the Muslim nations until I'd cleaned up the rest of the archipelago because those are the more powerful ones where you gotta actually worry about coalitions.

Other than that, remember that unless your AE is huge coalitions mainly form within religious blocs, so if you just split your conquering between Muslim, Animist and Hindu areas you'll be ok. You also need at least three countries that don't have a truce with you to join the coalition for it to even form and I'm pretty sure tributaries don't join coalitions, so if you ally two of the Hindu kingdoms on Borneo then there's legit not enough independent hindus left over to join a coalition with you. Same with the animists, just conquer them quickly and there won't be enough left without truces with you to actually join a coalition.

On a different note, I played with the new federation tribal mechanics and I have absolutely no idea how the game calculates 'federation member is stronger than leader', because it didn't seem to be based entirely on army size, force limit or military tech. It just seemed to come and go sporadically. I got two reforms in and then couldn't get any further because it'd go up to forty, then everyone would be 'stronger than me' and it would drop down to twenty again, then back up. I couldn't find a tooltip explaining how to make myself stronger than the rest of them, even though I had a bigger army and waaay more tribal land.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Red Bones posted:

I really didn't find AE to be much of an issue - Majapahit starts with an AE reduction tradition, and you can pick up even more AE reduction from the age bonus and one of the hindu deities. When you get involved in a war that brings in one of your starting tributaries, just re-tributary them in the peace deal and don't do anything else, as you get a mission to turn them into vassals anyway. Don't conquer Bali, because it's got a monument at stage 2 and if you conquer it instead of annex it as a vassal, the monument will drop a level. You need six vassals for one of the missions, so you want to be vassalising in peace deals rather than annexing - I conquered Sunda and Sulawesi but just vassalised the countries on Borneo and one of the two spice island states. I didn't really bother with the Muslim nations until I'd cleaned up the rest of the archipelago because those are the more powerful ones where you gotta actually worry about coalitions.

Other than that, remember that unless your AE is huge coalitions mainly form within religious blocs, so if you just split your conquering between Muslim, Animist and Hindu areas you'll be ok. You also need at least three countries that don't have a truce with you to join the coalition for it to even form and I'm pretty sure tributaries don't join coalitions, so if you ally two of the Hindu kingdoms on Borneo then there's legit not enough independent hindus left over to join a coalition with you. Same with the animists, just conquer them quickly and there won't be enough left without truces with you to actually join a coalition.

On a different note, I played with the new federation tribal mechanics and I have absolutely no idea how the game calculates 'federation member is stronger than leader', because it didn't seem to be based entirely on army size, force limit or military tech. It just seemed to come and go sporadically. I got two reforms in and then couldn't get any further because it'd go up to forty, then everyone would be 'stronger than me' and it would drop down to twenty again, then back up. I couldn't find a tooltip explaining how to make myself stronger than the rest of them, even though I had a bigger army and waaay more tribal land.

Yeah, upon playing more I discovered it wasn't a big deal. It's just kind of odd that you have to eat 20 - 35 AE penalties just to maintain status quo with your medium-sized tributaries. If you had a large tributary, I don't even want to imagine what that would cost.

Anyway, for the six subjects mission, you actually want to tributize them in the peace deals rather than vassalize, since it costs less AE and it counts all the same. Once you finish that mission, they all turn into regular vassals anyway, with -100% liberty desire for a while. It's pretty quick to do. Just declare a conquest war and tributize everyone involved. You'll get the five subjects you need to end the disaster quickly (I reloaded the game right away so I can get the normal majapahit experience), and you can immediately complete the six subjects mission next. At that point, your country's military potential instantly triples. The countries you just fought against will have 0 liberty desire due to the huge bonus you get, letting you divert trade on everyone. The extra income all of this gives you allows you to hire mercs close to your heightened force limit, and suddenly you're the most powerful country in SEA by far 10 - 15 years into the game. (You'll also want to spend a couple hundred mil strengthening government to reach 90 legitimacy early. It's well worth it.)

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Ah, its good to know that the mission turns all of your tributaries into subjects. In the mission text it only specified the tributaries I currently had, so I wasn't sure if they'd nerfed it from when they mentioned it originally in the dev diaries.

The other thing that occurs to me when I have been dicking around on this patch is that the Pacific Island nations (particularly Hawaii) could use some sort of cheap relocate capital event/decision. As it stands, you start the game needing to dev push for feudalism and every other institution, and if I did that in any of these isolated Pacific Islands it'd be a huge pain in the rear end in terms of waiting for institution spread later on in the game, to have a 30 dev province sitting on its own in the middle of the Pacific.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Eh, Hawaii at least has four adjacent islands that can all be dev pushed. They're close enough to spread to each other with minimal waiting around, up to Printing Press. Even Levu/Lau are adjacent to New Zealand.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
LOL you can have your allies return core land to your vassals and it has no-CD or any malus other than using some favors.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
IME with the pacific dev-pushing is perfectly viable. I've even done it with Samoa, where there's only two adjacent colonized provinces at game start (Samoa and Tonga). I'd conquered most of the pacific and started colonizing before the penalties from Colonization became too big.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
What are ways where I can exploit massive development in my capital? Playing currently, it doesn't feel like it's more advantageous (outside of its benefits defensively) than leaving my dev spread across my nation.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

because the capital state has a massive buff to governing capacity cost, dev in a capital state costs substantially less than it does spread across a country usually.

1102 dev spread across ming at start costs it 1055 governing capacity. That same 1102 development concentrated in ryukyu's capital province of okinawa costs it 11 governing capacity. Mega provinces also make building more valuable, as a single temple can end up being worth like an additonal 10 ducats a year .

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Mega provinces also make building more valuable, as a single temple can end up being worth like an additonal 10 ducats a year .
Yes to temples and workshops, no to manufactories, since those only provide a flat bonus.

Also your capital always has 0% autonomy of the right religion and culture, which means you can immediately put that development to full use after conquering it. Concentrating development before coring also reduces coring costs by a not insignificant amount. Concentrate in your vassals' land too. That development is way better off with you than them.

I'm struggling to see where spread-out development would be better than concentrated development, actually. Having more provinces can be beneficial due to being able to build manufactories, true, but they don't need to have lots of development for that to be good. The only real downside is the -20% loss when concentrating, but the pros outweigh the cons there in a lot of cases. I don't know if I'd concentrate in same-culture land that you expect to be able to reduce to 0% autonomy relatively quickly, but in all other circumstances I would concentrate. Like, yes, in the very long term you lose out on overall development, but it's really in your interest to start snowballing as soon as possible. 80% development now is better than 50% development now and 100% later.

Also make sure to pillage the capitals of the random countries you end up at war with. Due to the localized nature of AE, the AE costs of pillaging are often irrelevant.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
The real reason to concentrate dev is that it reduces the coring cost of provinces.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

So can Hordes concentrate dev and also do their unique thing to really drive that coring cost down?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

So can Hordes concentrate dev and also do their unique thing to really drive that coring cost down?

Oh very much yes.

(Just did a Mongolia -> Yuan -> Mongol Empire run.)

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this concentrate dev mechanic is so loving stupid that i'm not sure if the people who designed it actually played EU.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mongolia is so fun. top tier start

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Is it just me or are North American Natives like outrageously broken

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
The combination of razing and concentrating dev making most of the world 1/1/1 provinces is hilarious to me.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

oddium posted:

mongolia is so fun. top tier start

Yeah, getting out from under Oirat is p. easy since their rivals will support you if you ask nicely. Then Ming will let you pay tribute, and you're strong enough to beat anyone in Manchuria, and so on.

Also your economy isn't that crap because you start out with some power in the Beijing node.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mans posted:

this concentrate dev mechanic is so loving stupid that i'm not sure if the people who designed it actually played EU.

I think part of it is the long pdx dev cycles necessitate selling DLC, and to do that, they have to keep adding features because selling balancing and bug fixing would not go well. At some point it just doesn't need more features.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So can you see which provinces have monuments and will you ever be able to build them yourself?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Affi posted:

So can you see which provinces have monuments and will you ever be able to build them yourself?

The closest thing is the ledger page which shows what province they are in. But not who owns them, it doesn't link to the province for you to easily find..so you have to close out of it and search the province manually. Or look up a map online, since there's no mapmode that shows them and your only other choice is looking at each province individually. It's really dumb.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Mans posted:

Yeah, I'm keeping the game on the last pre-Leviathan patch until and unless I get the sense that Leviathan has been heavily rebalanced or actually adds cool stuff. First EU4 dlc I haven't bought... and I'm not sure I will. I may just treat the game as done and wait how ever many years we need to wait for EU5.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

concentrate development is something that feels like a really cool first draft of a new mechanic that just never actually got playtested enough to realize that "oh my god this is WAY too strong we need to find a serious way to nerf the hell out of it".

idk, make it cost 100 dip points a click or something so you don't do it literally every time you conquer a new territory before you state it

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it would be right at home as a consistently-used mechanic in imperator though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Jazerus posted:

it would be right at home as a consistently-used mechanic in imperator though

"Concentrate development" in Imperator is stuff like moving pops around into your capital to get it to the population requirement to upgrade it to a metropolis, or moving wrong culture/religion pops to your capital in order to get them to assimilate faster. It's cool and good, and makes infinitely more sense than EU4's version.