Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Holy poo poo it just keeps going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

:tviv:

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

I kinda thought it was going to plug back into the first surge protector. Actually, that would probably be less bad since there wouldn't be any current.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Yeah I miss those old 'The Amazing Machine' PC games too.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

By popular demand posted:

Contraption Maker, modern one that I think is by some of the same folks that made TIM. It didn't land as well as TIM for me but it is also what, 10, 15 years later?
Anyway I sent that to an electrician friend and she was very unhappy with me.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The incredible machine

Or is that different? Those were great

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That reminds me of something. There's an asphalt-paved trail near where I live, which has a few stubs of rebar embedded in it that have been highlighted with a dot of spraypaint. Why would there be rebar in an asphalt road?

If it makes a difference, I think the road was originally built to service a coastal missile battery. It's probably been repaved since then though.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

I like the exposed rebar, but more than that I really like the attempt at wheelchair accessibility. There are so many things wrong with it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

I like the exposed rebar

That's the peg for holding the original door open. Before they changed the door, it was accessible.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The Bloop posted:

The incredible machine

Or is that different? Those were great

:cripes: I have disgraced myself and brought shame upon my house.
Yes I meant T.I.M.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That reminds me of something. There's an asphalt-paved trail near where I live, which has a few stubs of rebar embedded in it that have been highlighted with a dot of spraypaint. Why would there be rebar in an asphalt road?

If it makes a difference, I think the road was originally built to service a coastal missile battery. It's probably been repaved since then though.

You're the "guy on the ground" to report on it. A lot of spray painted hazards on trails are painted by activists. Frost causes a lot of buckling of the paved trails around here and the buckles "mysteriously" get marked with fluorescent paint every year.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Moatman posted:

I kinda thought it was going to plug back into the first surge protector. Actually, that would probably be less bad since there wouldn't be any current.

:same: but hoped it still lit up

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If they've been hammered in so that just the end is showing, flush with the pavement, then they're probably surveyor's traverse marks that serve as a known point to set up instruments on.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

It's all plugged in not hardwired, so code doesn't apply, right?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jaguars! posted:

If they've been hammered in so that just the end is showing, flush with the pavement, then they're probably surveyor's traverse marks that serve as a known point to set up instruments on.

Yep, that's exactly what they are, and surveying makes a ton of sense. Thanks!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

devicenull posted:

It's all plugged in not hardwired, so code doesn't apply, right?

I don't think that's true. Running stupid extension cords might not be a code issue when you're just doing your own dumb poo poo (like daisy-chaining them so you can plug all your stuff into one outlet) but I am pretty sure it's a code violation when you try to substitute them for long-term wiring. At least one end of that mess is a fixed light and switch, so it's not by any stretch a temporary situation. I think you're also not allowed to stuff extensions into walls, etc. or otherwise hide them. So this mess would be a code violation.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

At what point is it an extension cord with a hardwired electrical box outlet, or a hardwired electrical box outlet with an extension cord inlet?
The answer may surprise you!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ashcans posted:

I don't think that's true. Running stupid extension cords might not be a code issue when you're just doing your own dumb poo poo (like daisy-chaining them so you can plug all your stuff into one outlet) but I am pretty sure it's a code violation when you try to substitute them for long-term wiring. At least one end of that mess is a fixed light and switch, so it's not by any stretch a temporary situation. I think you're also not allowed to stuff extensions into walls, etc. or otherwise hide them. So this mess would be a code violation.

Correct. Extension cords are temporary per code and my not ever penetrate walls or other fire barriers.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Motronic posted:

Correct. Extension cords are temporary per code and my not ever penetrate walls or other fire barriers.

There's one and only one exception to this. It's for flat panel TVs. You're allowed to build an in wall extension cord to power such a wall mounted device, with only one outlet (AKA a single outlet or monoplex) that is fed by only one inlet. You use regular NM cable in wall between the boxes for the inlet and outlet. To feed the inlet, you use a regular 3 prong extension cord. That one cord is allowed to be in use all the time. Plus, technically you just built an in wall extension cord.

They added this rule fairly recently, within the last decade or so. It allows people to protect their wall mounted TVs by plugging them into their fancy pants surge protector that wouldn't fit behind the TV.

Personally, I just install a surge protector outlet behind the TV instead.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Check out the tilework in my new house! :cry:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Did the realtor call it “rustic”?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

If you look closely I think there are tiles in all that grout.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
No, she said it was terrible.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

$10 bag of tile spacers was obviously too expensive

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Toothpicks would have been enough to avoid this.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

can you do a bathroom with all grout

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I have seen 2 different houses built by diy country folk in the 1950s or 60s, using whatever construction scrap they could find, that actually look reasonably decent but which have as one of the hidden exciting elements an integrated 2-prong indoor extension cord wired into the electrical system

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

:sympathy:

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Just think about how cathartic it will be to take a hammer to all that.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Why even bother with tiles if you don't feel like doing it properly? I'm sure there's a way to just coat the bare concrete with some sort of polymer.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Why even bother with tiles if you don't feel like doing it properly? I'm sure there's a way to just coat the bare concrete with some sort of polymer.

I imagine it is folks underestimating how much skill, time and effort goes into the job. "A professional tiler wants how much? I can knock it out myself in a weekend." Then they buy a bag of grout and some tiles, after all how hard can it be?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

About 15 years ago I paid a professional electrician to put a set of grounded outlets along one kitchen wall, because it has a refrigerator, microwave, convection oven, and air conditioner on the same circuit. With an appropriately-sized breaker.

Yesterday I found out that he had put in grounded outlets, all right, but hadn't bothered to pull and connect a ground wire.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Facebook Aunt posted:

I imagine it is folks underestimating how much skill, time and effort goes into the job. "A professional tiler wants how much? I can knock it out myself in a weekend." Then they buy a bag of grout and some tiles, after all how hard can it be?

In fairness, its common knowledge that its pretty much impossible to predict how and where tiles will end up.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

About 15 years ago I paid a professional electrician to put a set of grounded outlets along one kitchen wall, because it has a refrigerator, microwave, convection oven, and air conditioner on the same circuit. With an appropriately-sized breaker.

Yesterday I found out that he had put in grounded outlets, all right, but hadn't bothered to pull and connect a ground wire.

It was 15 years ago and he wasn't just pulling Romex?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Phanatic posted:

It was 15 years ago and he wasn't just pulling Romex?

The outlets already existed; I just asked him to ground them. They were two-prong at the time. IIRC I also asked that they be split so they weren't all on the same breaker.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

More like tilewonk.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Ummm.

You might have some real hosed up poo poo going on there now, there's no real way to split a circuit without pulling new wire.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Ummm.

You might have some real hosed up poo poo going on there now, there's no real way to split a circuit without pulling new wire.

I'm voting for "electrician only changed the outlets and did nothing else."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah that's definitely what happened there. Surprised you didn't trip the breaker and find out the hard way