Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

FilthyImp posted:

I've softened the bonds between hydrogen and oxygen in your blood!
Most of the highly specialized quirks in this series would end up completely insane if typical X-Men power extrapolation happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
His power does not work on living things. Still it's very good, as he can soften things, then touch them again to make them solid.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Ah, a draw, of course... should have seen that coming. Thought Iida was going to have a Spiderman moment there, but I guess not.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
If you write a scene in a piece of media where a conflict is resolved because someone runs INTO the shadow of a falling object I think you should be barred from professional writing forever.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

You can probably justify that as him not being good at turning at those speeds.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It sucks that this is going to turn into a draw between the classes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

His power does not work on living things. Still it's very good, as he can soften things, then touch them again to make them solid.

I feel like he'd make an interesting combo with Yaoyorozu where she can make stuff and he can modify them into more useful shapes that she wouldn't be physically able to produce.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

WrightOfWay posted:

It sucks that this is going to turn into a draw between the classes.

For the 7th time we'll learn the tenacity of the young heroes heart~~~~~

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lol this arc is unsatisfying dogshit but I at least enjoyed Pony's weird JapanEngrish

Fabricated posted:

Most of the highly specialized quirks in this series would end up completely insane if typical X-Men power extrapolation happened.
"I just made your brain weightless! Don't rattle it around too much!"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

FilthyImp posted:

Lol this arc is unsatisfying dogshit but I at least enjoyed Pony's weird JapanEngrish

"I just made your brain weightless! Don't rattle it around too much!"

Nah it’s been fun.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Tetsutetsu and Todoroki nearly killing each other in a practice match owns

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m not sure if it’s reached that point yet but if so, how do they handle Pony’s weird speech (or the other guy that talked in English briefly a few episodes ago) in the dub? Or did they just not bother trying to come up with something equivalent and ignored it?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I think the dub is two episodes behind so it hasn't gotten to it yet. But considering how they handled it earlier in the series (with Pony's first introduction and the fact that Mic often peppers his speech with English), it'll probably come off as nonsensical.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

I think the dub is two episodes behind so it hasn't gotten to it yet. But considering how they handled it earlier in the series (with Pony's first introduction and the fact that Mic often peppers his speech with English), it'll probably come off as nonsensical.

How did they handle it in her first appearance in the series then? Did they just not have her switch languages while talking or something?

I mostly asked because there’s a gag earlier in this same arc where another character speaks in English and others actually comment on it.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 16, 2021

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Uhhh, it was back in the Sports Festival arc I think (before the Festival actually started) and Pony did not switch languages. Monoma just whispered something to say in her ear and she repeated it with seemingly no idea what it meant, despite the fact that it was still English.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Larryb posted:

How did they handle it in her first appearance in the series then? Did they just not have her switch languages while talking or something?

From last page:

oh jay posted:

I haven't watched the last season's dub yet but I guess this happened in it.

https://youtu.be/EAl6WtbcVLg

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Wow. So no one is going to comment on how ridiculously nice the animation was in this episode, especially for Iida? Smh

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Nanigans posted:

Wow. So no one is going to comment on how ridiculously nice the animation was in this episode, especially for Iida? Smh

Oh yeah, it was sick today. Gives me high hopes for what’s to come

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Nanigans posted:

I'm glad they let the boy run fast :unsmith:

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex

Nanigans posted:

It looked really cool but it was kind of undercut by how inconsistent it was from moment to moment. One second he does the Flash move where he drive-by punches someone at 300mph and then the next he fails to outrun a very slowly collapsing tower.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
"Run on the side of a building? Zig-zag into some side-streets? Nah let's gooooooo!"

Not even some dumb "I'm exceeding the limits of my Recipripro! My exhaust is melting!" Just straight out squish, and slowly Suffocating.

I guess a lot of why this arc falls flat for me is that the mains are getting chumped, but we've also seem to lose most of the whole "my quick has tradeoffs" at this point.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, this arc mostly just makes everyone in 1-A but the main trio look really weak. I appreciate 1-B not being chumps and getting cool moments, but it feels like they rob the class we actually spend time with of all the spotlight.

I also wish Monoma had more than one personality trait.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
man, that episode was pretty sick

this willingness to cause extreme injuries while training reminds me of this south korean movie which involves a north korean terrorist flashing back to her military training in which two soldiers sitting across from one another are made to field strip and reassemble a gun blindfolded, and whoever finishes first has to shoot the other one

if you can't do it in training then you can't do it for the real thing

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
I distinctly recall a pivotal scene in this show where All Might was on his knees promising a worried mother that he would keep her son safe and reminding the audience that the injuries these literal children suffer are real and have consequences. But gently caress it lets just have the students start suffocating each other and burning down the arena. It's tournament arcs all the way down!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Nanigans posted:

I've skipped the entire season but came to watch this after someone posted a gif. Also wow they keep almost dying during a lovely training exercise.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 16, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

I guess a lot of why this arc falls flat for me is that the mains are getting chumped, but we've also seem to lose most of the whole "my quick has tradeoffs" at this point.

I feel like this fight was pretty much decided based on the limitations of the fighters quirks though. Iida's fast but couldn't control himself well enough, Honenuki was flexible but lacked stopping power, Todoroki's powerful but inflexible, Ojiro is ordinary, Pony can't control her horns enough yet and Shoji can't fly.

Flesnolk posted:

Yeah, this arc mostly just makes everyone in 1-A but the main trio look really weak. I appreciate 1-B not being chumps and getting cool moments, but it feels like they rob the class we actually spend time with of all the spotlight.

I also wish Monoma had more than one personality trait.

The only one's I've felt have been robbed are Koda, Aoyama, Hagakure and maybe Kirishima. Everyone else got to show off at least a bit.

Monoma's fight is still coming.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I want Ojiro to kick a really powerful villain's rear end one day

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
It seems really stupid to restrict anyone from taking the hero course given their current situation, but Ojiro just doesn't measure up to the rest of the class. Even diaper boy would make a better hero.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
As always, it's important to remember that being a hero goes beyond just kicking rear end. Ojiro is not going to be fighting All for One, but he's probably damned useful in a rescue situation like Tsuyu. Problem is that he's got classmates who can effectively do both.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jackard posted:

It seems really stupid to restrict anyone from taking the hero course given their current situation, but Ojiro just doesn't measure up to the rest of the class. Even diaper boy would make a better hero.

Not everyone fights supervillains some dudes walk around stopping basic muggings and the such he'd be fine for that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is one of those "this is why X superpower wouldn't ever work" things, but regardless of if it has bones in it or if it's pure muscle- Ojiro's tail would probably weigh like 80 pounds and require that he have superhuman muscle/bone density to even be able to support it. Like, levels of muscle/bone density that'd let you bench press a small car. It'd break every bone in your body if you got hit with something like that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Ojiro is just a normal dude. Don't be rude.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Fabricated posted:

This is one of those "this is why X superpower wouldn't ever work" things, but regardless of if it has bones in it or if it's pure muscle- Ojiro's tail would probably weigh like 80 pounds and require that he have superhuman muscle/bone density to even be able to support it. Like, levels of muscle/bone density that'd let you bench press a small car. It'd break every bone in your body if you got hit with something like that.

Pym Particles

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Ojiro is just a normal dude. Don't be rude.

This is something that has bugged me ever since I got into the series. Somebody like Bakugo does not have superspeed or superstrength or super durability. He just sweats explosives.

Some Quirk Users just have their quirk and nothing else. Others, like Bakugo, inexplicitly have a physical body that can hang with somebody like Deku.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Ojiro's a phenomenal martial arts expert and has definitely demonstrated superhuman strength with his tail. His big weakness is that he's totally useless outside of melee range. He has to close the distance on an enemy and he doesn't have any particular tools to improve his ability to do so. This isn't a unique problem - Shoji also demonstrated that this episode and Kirishima and Tetsutetsu are pure brawlers as well. They're all still going to be fine heroes, they're just never going to top the ranks.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Well, I mean there's Mirko who's on the top 10, with the power of "a little stronger and faster than normal"

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

This is something that has bugged me ever since I got into the series. Somebody like Bakugo does not have superspeed or superstrength or super durability. He just sweats explosives.

Some Quirk Users just have their quirk and nothing else. Others, like Bakugo, inexplicitly have a physical body that can hang with somebody like Deku.

Hanging with baseline Deku is not that impressive and I doubt Bakugou could do anything against him going all out.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I poke fun of Ojiro but the physical force he showed in the episode was legit impressive so there is that. On top of the other limitations mentioned though it was also shown twice in the episode that he really needs some form of protection or armor to stop his tail from getting shredded. Mudman isn't even a melee fighter and even that dude thought about getting some armor which absolutely saved his rear end.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hey, sometimes you just need a guy that has a thick, ropey, muscular appendage and wears a loosely flowing pajama..

Nephthys posted:

I feel like this fight was pretty much decided based on the limitations of the fighters quirks though.
While true, I'm talking about poo poo like "If I fire too many horns off I'll get Vertigo / I can still get internal injuries despite my steel skin" kind of stuff. Closest was Todoroki getting lightheaded and not being able to alternate Hot/Cold.

I REALLY wanted to see him punch something with that supernova fist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

Hanging with baseline Deku is not that impressive and I doubt Bakugou could do anything against him going all out.

Yeah, Bakugo beat Deku when he was using, what, like 5% of his power? It's pretty inevitable that Deku's eventually going to outpace Bakugo by a wide margin.

Also there's just some degree of it just being a thing in superhero shows you have to kind of accept. Like in the very first match, Kaminari gets chucked headlong into some metal debris hard enough to collapse it. Kaminari has absolutely nothing that makes him physically stronger or more resilient but he comes out of it just fine. That's just kind of how this stuff goes.