Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i'd probably be happier not grinding out cards to fully gear to my preferences a second batch of librarians for Tomerry lol, but i can't imagine the better Dawn Office cards, at least, becoming totally obsolete anytime soon

While I kinda like the grind (because it means sometimes you need to make due with decent cards instead of just loading everyone up with the best stuff you can get) you can use this mod to get 9999 copies of books from fights which is more than you'll ever need.

Using it requires basemod. The folder is hidden so you'll need to enable it, and you should back it up before trying any mods juust to be safe.

Nobody'd fault you for using it, though if you do I'd still encourage you to try using cards other than just the best ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Acerbatus posted:

I was going back through the game because I was thinking of LPing LoR before deciding to hold off and at least wait until TQ started his first (not that he minded but it seemed rude to me), the game somehow feels kinda short. I think having a couple of more fights in like, Urban Legend and Impurity would have helped with the pacing.

Impurity especially feels weird. The Hana fight was just there to deliver Roland his gloves, then the Ensemble comes knocking. Like, Angela was still at a point where she could be decapitated and stick her head back on. :v:

Then maybe throw in another couple to Plague and have Tomerry/Wedge on a third tier instead of second for Plague.

Yujin comes next tier.

That being said, Wrath of Torment and Faint Memories are two of the most efficient damage pages until Star.
Oh right, this is pre-Yujin.

Then just use blunt lol. Append the puppets to Emma keypages and stomp everything with +3 power automated movement and repressed flesh singleton decks on Yesod's floor. Something like Will of the Prescripts, Loosen Up, Puppet Blockade, Gigigig, Automated Movement, Repressed Flesh, Observe, Set Fire and Undertake Prescript. Anything with a lot of blunt dice.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 12, 2021

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Pretty sure the puppets and index stuff is after Tomerry.. still, if I remember right unga bunga blunts with Yesod is the way to go at this stage of the game.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Puppets are the reception directly after Tomerry, yes. If you REALLY want to delete the enemy this early in the game, give everyone on the floor the following:

Any keypage with 2x dice
-2x Observe
-3x Oppo Spotted
-2x Flash of Sunup
-2x Wait up!

The basic idea is to use the first two rounds to draw into having Observe/Wait up/2x opportunity spotted by playing any flashes of sunup you have.

Then you use Observe/Wait up! on everyone, targeting one target.

Then the next round, you use 2x Opportunity Spotted for the most hideously :fuckoff: damage turn possible in early game.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I’ve been wondering if there’s some kind of arachnophobia-compatibility mod for either game - it definitely won’t help the fifty billion other things that would usually deserve content warnings but a mod that just Removes Spider would be a good start

(the intended audience for such a mod does not include me)

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 12, 2021

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Speaking of solid early-game staples, Olga has carried me far longer than she was ever meant to.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
tomerry down :toot:

i'm sure nothing else will be difficult or horrifying for a while

turns out that A) not doing that fight first (well, second) in the chapter helps, as does, uh, bringing four librarians per floor rather than three; didn't even have to bring malkuth (back) in to mop up, although it was a pretty close thing

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

AweStriker posted:

I’ve been wondering if there’s some kind of arachnophobia-compatibility mod for either game - it definitely won’t help the fifty billion other things that would usually deserve content warnings but a mod that just Removes Spider would be a good start

(the intended audience for such a mod does not include me)

Despite the spookiness of the games, there's literally one spider abnormality in Lob Corp that is a Teth and doesn't breach (although it can still cause agent death) and even then, it's not exactly hard to ignore it because the spiders that it shows are very, very low detailed.

Oh, Latitia also causes spiders but she's a good girl who has done nothing wrong in her life and MAYBE Fragment of the Universe will trigger arachnophobia if it's particularly sensitive.

I have yet to see a spider in Ruina.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Re amateur adventures in speedrunning:
I’ve gotten to a relatively ok point with my upper suppression’s ~4 hour mark, took a while to reliably do the dusk in a timely manner now to practice the mid game.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Intoluene posted:

Despite the spookiness of the games, there's literally one spider abnormality in Lob Corp that is a Teth and doesn't breach (although it can still cause agent death) and even then, it's not exactly hard to ignore it because the spiders that it shows are very, very low detailed.

Oh, Latitia also causes spiders but she's a good girl who has done nothing wrong in her life and MAYBE Fragment of the Universe will trigger arachnophobia if it's particularly sensitive.

I have yet to see a spider in Ruina.

Their sensitivity is such that they will pretty much cease to function if a spider or even something sufficiently spider-y so much as enters their peripheral vision.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Intoluene posted:

That abnormality also shows up in Ruina in far greater detail.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

That abnormality also shows up in Ruina in far greater detail.

Okay, I have not unlocked those abno pages so that would explain it.

Those three abnos will absolutely cause your friend issues, then. Spider Bud itself is not particularly spider-like despite the name but it DOES have a few skittering, low detail spiders on its containment cell. Its agent instadeath will probably also cause someone with severe arachnophobia some significant distress.

If you find the numbers for Fragment of the Universe, Laetitia and Spider Bud and tell them to NOT PICK THESE EVER. They should be okay with lobcorp. Might have to look up the 100% ending after beating the game, though.

Ruina, if there's abno pages for Spider Bud, they're gonna have a bad time since that won't be particularly avoidable. Might be able to mod out the art for it but I am not a programmer or modder.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Intoluene posted:

Okay, I have not unlocked those abno pages so that would explain it.

Those three abnos will absolutely cause your friend issues, then. Spider Bud itself is not particularly spider-like despite the name but it DOES have a few skittering, low detail spiders on its containment cell. Its agent instadeath will probably also cause someone with severe arachnophobia some significant distress.

If you find the numbers for Fragment of the Universe, Laetitia and Spider Bud and tell them to NOT PICK THESE EVER. They should be okay with lobcorp. Might have to look up the 100% ending after beating the game, though.

Ruina, if there's abno pages for Spider Bud, they're gonna have a bad time since that won't be particularly avoidable. Might be able to mod out the art for it but I am not a programmer or modder.

Modding just the card art won't help, since a core mechanic is fighting the abnos to unlock their stuff. At that point, you'd have to fully mod at least three (Spider Bud, Fragment, and Laetitia) fights plus the card art. And unlike LC, you can't just shuffle them away, as each floor has a fixed roster.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

BisbyWorl posted:

Modding just the card art won't help, since a core mechanic is fighting the abnos to unlock their stuff. At that point, you'd have to fully mod at least three (Spider Bud, Fragment, and Laetitia) fights plus the card art. And unlike LC, you can't just shuffle them away, as each floor has a fixed roster.

I meant all art assets for those particular abnos but yes, that's about the extent of the problem.

Fragment is a real borderline case, though. That one might be worth prepping them for and seeing how they react if you are going to proceed with recommending Lobcorp or Ruina.

I'm really glad my personal arachnophobia isn't this severe. Even most videogamey "giant spiders" don't trigger me, just real life spiders.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
One-shot Wedge Office by the absolute skin of my teeth - one more turn and I'd very likely be dead. Looking at the first act before starting it and seeing there was a second, and only one floor, had me incredibly worried but Malkuth pulled it off.

mvp abnormality bonus was the "heal when hitting enemy that was already hit", it bought Malkuth just enough time to squeak out a win

used my standard-issue mostly-Dawn-office loadout

lol that I thought tomerry was rough

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 13, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone tried doing Wedge solo? I've been trying to stick to same-tier pages (since like yeah obviously you can solo stuff with Star of the City cards) but I think I'm going to have to admit defeat and try moving up to using Urban Nightmare cards. The lack of counter dice before then makes it pretty much impossible, I think.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

One-shot Wedge Office by the absolute skin of my teeth - one more turn and I'd very likely be dead. Looking at the first act before starting it and seeing there was a second, and only one floor, had me incredibly worried but Malkuth pulled it off.

mvp abnormality bonus was the "heal when hitting enemy that was already hit", it bought Malkuth just enough time to squeak out a win

used my standard-issue mostly-Dawn-office loadout

lol that I thought tomerry was rough

Both of 'em (and some of the abnormality battles) are real wakeup calls the first time you hit em.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 13, 2021

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
poo poo like that is why I never got on the “Yujin best key page” train.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Yujin is really good! Until the point where the game starts putting mass attacks in every goddamned fight.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

The worst part about that is that she has that passive that gives her a block die, so you can't even use counter dice to deal with that. She would legitimately be better off without that passive, a 2-6 block die is not worth all the deflects she gets hit with thanks to it.

EDIT: You know, with Xiao there you could try using her Mass Attack EGO to shoot down the bricks before they hit Yujin.

I've been replaying the game and Yujin has definitely been my MVP so far though. Spent a while using Happy Memories + Ink Over and now she's finally upgraded to Rapid Gashes and it's glorious.

Intentionally doing Star of the City stuff in right to left order this time and whoof are the Reindeer team nasty at that point. Even my dedicated batter has trouble knocking down Mind Whips and they can randomly decide to throw like five or six at you at once. Managed to hold out thanks to mass attack spam + Yujin face tanking long enough that the second floor only had to deal with Myo + Nikolai at half hp.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Arcvasti posted:

EDIT: You know, with Xiao there you could try using her Mass Attack EGO to shoot down the bricks before they hit Yujin.

I didn't think to try, but I would have thought you need to trigger a clash to stop it

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A jargogle posted:

I didn't think to try, but I would have thought you need to trigger a clash to stop it

No, if a page loses to a mass attack it doesn't activate at all. Same trick works for soloing Greta with Hod with the uninvited guests.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
How do you survive the Violent Noon ordeal? I'm at day 12, with lvl 3 employees, and the obelisk lands and usually kills my whole floor.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DropTheAnvil posted:

How do you survive the Violent Noon ordeal? I'm at day 12, with lvl 3 employees, and the obelisk lands and usually kills my whole floor.

Pull everyone out of the main rooms and let the things land. Give them a couple seconds and send everyone back in to kill them.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

DropTheAnvil posted:

What Hunt said, alternately swap all your departments personnel around since the impact only hits Agents who belong to the targeted department, leaving staff from other departments unharmed. Programming!

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

No, if a page loses to a mass attack it doesn't activate at all. Same trick works for soloing Greta with Hod with the uninvited guests.

Wait does that affect all the dice on the page? Only those that clash?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
All the dice only if it's a Summation MA.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

DropTheAnvil posted:

Once you know the trick, the only problem will be Clerks Rights Activists breaching on Violet Noon.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I previously only skimmed Hokma's conversations, I love the implication that Roland was so sick of his poo poo on the second time he just made Angela take books up to him herself.

e: Are we to assume that Ayin designed the perception filter so that he would see Gebura with vavoom hips and a cleavage window from then on? :thunk:

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 18, 2021

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

e: Are we to assume that Ayin designed the perception filter so that he would see Gebura with vavoom hips and a cleavage window from then on? :thunk:

He also designed Chesed to have two different designs based on time period, and gave Hokma’s robot form a monocle, as well as made Hod a grownup while keeping Lisa/Enoch kids.

Ayin does some weird stuff.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Michelle also ended up dying much later than everyone else, as she didn't commit suicide till news of the massacre at the outskirts finally got out. By the time that happened, L corp was actually a thing to the point where the tabloids could gossip about its founder, so that actually makes sense?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I saw this on twitter and wanted to share it immediately

https://twitter.com/Meowswine/status/1383087710798221335

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Michelle also ended up dying much later than everyone else, as she didn't commit suicide till news of the massacre at the outskirts finally got out. By the time that happened, L corp was actually a thing to the point where the tabloids could gossip about its founder, so that actually makes sense?

I don't think it was THAT much later, and she looks like she's 12 in the flashback cutscene.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 19, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Michelle was the youngest employee they had, key-word employee. Enoch and Lisa were not employees just children they looked after. I would assume this puts Michelle at like, at least 15-16?

As for Gebura, Kali's outfit seems slimming (it's a big heavy jacket combo) compared to the skin-tight thing Gebura wears.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

After two games, I still don't understand what the ordeals were supposed to represent in LC

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

TalonDemonKing posted:

After two games, I still don't understand what the ordeals were supposed to represent in LC

You can argue about the symbolism, but fundamentally they're just cast-offs of the Extraction process.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

TalonDemonKing posted:

I do not know either, but my own baseless speculation is that given the goals of A it would make sense that he programmed in trials/ordeals as part of the purification process. It doesn't seem like labs outside of the HQ undergo ordeals based on Wonderlab. I think most of the ordeals are materialized by the HQ itself, like Indigo noon, sweepers are just regular liquid people in exosuits, they would have no real reason to be at the HQ and they don't really have the means to gain access to the lab. Sweepers seem to be endemic to the backstreets, so it is kind of weird they are at a nest, and they don't seem to harvest from inside of buildings given the lore.

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 19, 2021

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
edit: blargh

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
I'd like to think the ordeal sweepers just reflect the fears of the emloyees. Don't ask me about the red ordeals though :gonk:
life means get desire

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

MinutePirateBug posted:

It doesn't seem like labs outside of the HQ undergo ordeals based on Wonderlab.
Maybe it's because they don't get rampant TT2 abuse, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

I’m pretty sure that’s because the ordeals are stored in the pillars in extraction and just bust out to do their own thing? Binah mentions something like that, so it makes sense that other branches wouldn’t have them-nobody else has extraction at all.