Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

The '21 03 has a very different front end, should be pretty easy to tuck it in next to the headlight:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
One thing I'd worry about on the front mounted cam at least is all the bug splatter.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean you run that risk with anything you mount facing forward, be it fixed dashcam or gopro. I’ve had to clean my gopro on numerous occasions so I guess it just comes with the territory.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

It's a practiced repetitive maneuver like turning off your turn signals; swiping off your camera lens every few minutes

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

But Not Tonight posted:

I have a Tacoma, live in Portland, am fully antibodied up on the 17th and work a compressed schedule. hit me up bro

not to reply to old poo poo, but I had to read this five times before it made sense

"wait he means he lives in tacoma. no, he lives in portland. does he live in both? does he have a truck he keeps in tacoma? whaaat"

I am dumb

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

bizwank posted:

That all just sounds much easier to me then having something on the side of my helmet that I have to remember to turn on/off, remove and charge, etc.

Turning it on/off became a habit very quickly as I do it when I put on / take off my helmet. As for charging, I have two charging cables where I store my helmet at home, and just plug one in the camera, one in the Sena when I put my helmet there. I think a system wired to the bike can work great, but SD card corruption is a real thing that will happen after a time and if you forget about the system being there you'll probably forget to check for SD card corruption.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Wooooo 10000rpm is so exciting even if you're only doing 50!!

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I probably overpayed on it, but I'm the proud owner of an MT-03. Now I have to wait till Sunday for it to arrive because there's no way my first drive is going to be an hour on the interstate.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Spiggy posted:

I probably overpayed on it, but I'm the proud owner of an MT-03. Now I have to wait till Sunday for it to arrive because there's no way my first drive is going to be an hour on the interstate.
What was your OTD? I'm picking mine up Saturday!!!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What color did yall get?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

"Storm Fluo", which I think is a little darker/bluer grey then last year's non-black option.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

bizwank posted:

What was your OTD? I'm picking mine up Saturday!!!

5500 with TTL and delivery. It was a 2020 that wouldn't sell, despite the 2021s getting bought the day that they hit the floor. I probably could have haggled them down, but vehicle purchases are super stress inducing for me. The white with red rims is extremely My poo poo and I can't wait for Sunday to roll around.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'm jealous of the orange wheels. Not black would have been my first choice too.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Yeah I could have had my choice of black 2020's but that's just not my bag. My 2021 was $5330 OTD in OR, but WA tax and licensing will add another $800 or so to that.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

bizwank posted:

"Storm Fluo", which I think is a little darker/bluer grey then last year's non-black option.

That is a very nice looking bike. Red (orange?) wheels look rad.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

as a MT-03 haver I can say you won't be disappointed. good little bike.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I went on a ride with a buddy who has more experience and I had an amazing time. Something about having backup really helped me corner much more confidently today. Maybe it’s knowing that if I ate poo poo at least I’d have someone to help me pick up the pieces. I’m not going to guess but I wish I could harness that feeling because I felt much better today than I have in the past week.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

I went on a ride with a buddy who has more experience and I had an amazing time. Something about having backup really helped me corner much more confidently today. Maybe it’s knowing that if I ate poo poo at least I’d have someone to help me pick up the pieces. I’m not going to guess but I wish I could harness that feeling because I felt much better today than I have in the past week.

How often do you actually ride? From the outside it seems like you ride for a bit then stop for ages and forget everything so you're always starting from the beginning.

Did the other person ride mostly behind or in front of you and which was preferable? Finding it easier when you're following means you're probably doing bad lines or bottling the start of the corner (when riding by yourself), at which point your lizard brain nopes out. Having the other person in front of you as a reference makes it much easier because you can see them make the turn, which reassures the reptile and also makes it much easier to judge if you're entering at the right speed, turning at the right point etc.

Finding it easier if you're followed is likely psychological as you said.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You hit the nail on the head. This year has been rough for riding since I’ve been going through some work anxiety that leaked through to real life. I did a fair amount of riding last year but between the seasons it seems I regressed a lot so I’m re-doing a lot.

I may be overstating how uncomfortable I am in corners though, I don’t want it to sound like I’m completely paralyzed by the notion, just that I often do bad lines or bottle as you mentioned. In the end it’s just practice practice practice and confidence confidence confidence so I’m working on getting out more. Today everything just aligned and my friend wanted to doot around and I found I had a much better time than I usually do.

I’ve asked him to lead next week just for fun.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's true that practice makes perfect, but usually it makes you do things perfectly wrong because practice needs to be paired with a targeted, systemic approach to improvement.

I think mentally the best thing for this is the throttle/brake/lean rule. Trying to imagine a line and then ride along it is the wrong way to go imo. I think if you become religiously strict about the throttle rule, you find that your lines improve automatically because all the dumb wrong lines stop being an option, because they violate the rule. I've struck this several times with learners IRL, they tend to think lines are something that exists by itself and they have to follow them like a rule and then struggle when they can't 'figure out' what line to use. In reality good lines are an automatic, natural consequence of following thet two only actual real rules - the throttle rule, and look where you go.

If you enter really shallow then have to make a tight turn deep in the corner, you're almost certainly violating the throttle rule or coasting on a shut throttle, which is the same thing. A situation that basically can't occur if you force yourself to do things properly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I find that when I ride behind someone more experienced than me it helps my brain to go “oh, I CAN get through that corner at that speed”

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sorry, at the risk of sounding obtuse, can you describe the throttle/brake/lean rule? Maybe I’m just exhausted but nothing is ringing a bell other than vague ideas of what each means during a corner.

E: To be perfectly fair, this might be way better with someone experienced in FRONT of me, I just haven’t done it yet. So this could be a case of “riding together with someone behind me was 50% better than being alone, but riding behind someone experienced is 100% better than that” so I’m absolutely not discounting that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok it is really simple.

The tyre has a grip of 100. When you're braking or accelerating at the maximum (so WOT or back wheel lifting basically) and you're upright, 100 grips are being used for the job.

Leaning the tyre automatically uses some of the grips to generate a turning force. If you attempt to lean while using 100 on braking, even a little bit, you'll crash immediately (or rather, the tyre will lose traction and you're in the hands of Zeus) because you're trying to use more grips than you have.

So if you're adding lean angle, you need to be taking away throttle or brake force. If you're removing lean angle, you have more grip to use for braking or gassing.

You can see how a lot of bad lines become immediately unviable because they demand that you remove throttle in the middle of the corner, or add throttle while adding lean angle, or attempting to brake when already at maximum lean (shutting the throttle is pretty much the same thing).

Then you combine this with the effect pitching has in grip and you have a pretty much complete general theory of bike handling. If you're slowing, you load the front tyre using the brake, keeping the load optimal by gradually reducing brake pressure as you turn. If you're accelerating, you load the tyre using the throttle and keep it optimally loaded by adding more throttle as you remove lean angle.

This is why coasting on a shut throttle is dumb and lazy. You're asking the front tyre to turn the whole bike but not loading it at all using the brake so you have far less than 100 grips to do the job.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That’s really comprehensive, thanks. I think somehow I managed to trip onto the loading the tire while breaking/accelerating and releasing/ramping gradually thing by accident or subconsciously but it’s not something I’ve been doing consistently so that’s really good food for thought.

Cheers.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Yay. Made it onto the highway today. I was worried about cornering at high speeds but it's not as hard as I thought. It went well.
I can't get over this wind noise. I got a full face helmet now, it's quieter but there is still a very low and loud rumble. If I lower my head a few inches, the noise is halved. If I duck a little more, it's gone entirely. I am wearing earplugs which makes it bareable, just barely.

I am thinking of purchasing an after market touring windshield that is larger. Think that will help? It seems it if lowering myself makes the noise go away. Do those clip on ones do anything?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do you have earplugs? If you don’t definitely invest in those before you buy a new windshield. Even cheap foamies should help protect you.

My experience with a taller windscreen is that it did help some but honestly if I had to spend the money again I probably wouldn’t. It wasn’t as big a difference as I expected, though it did help deflect some of the wind buffeting up to my helmet where it actually feels better than hitting my chin/neck.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 20, 2021

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
oh you sweet summer children who don't ride naked bikes

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Highway riding is a sensory overload that absolutely gets easier to handle as you do it more. Over the past year I found myself building up a tolerance for highway speeds. I got comfortable with the noise and the side-to-side wind forces rather quickly, then over many months I found that the basic front-on wind pressure was bothering me less and less (I'm on a naked bike so no fairings or windscreen). Sometimes I still wish I had some wind protection but it bothers me far, far, less than it did a year ago.

I don't have much experience with windscreens but lots and lots of folks on lots of different bikes talk about how different windscreens cause different types of turbulence. Your best bet is to seek out model-specific forums/message boards and see what owners have tried and what the results have been, to give you an idea of what might be worth buying.

antipope
May 2, 2021

by Nyc_Tattoo

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Yay. Made it onto the highway today. I was worried about cornering at high speeds but it's not as hard as I thought. It went well.
I can't get over this wind noise. I got a full face helmet now, it's quieter but there is still a very low and loud rumble. If I lower my head a few inches, the noise is halved. If I duck a little more, it's gone entirely. I am wearing earplugs which makes it bareable, just barely.

I am thinking of purchasing an after market touring windshield that is larger. Think that will help? It seems it if lowering myself makes the noise go away. Do those clip on ones do anything?

What I can say is I have the same bike, and I don't really have an issue with wind noise. I bought a relatively expensive, excellent quality, full face helmet, the Arai QV-Pro, which retails for $800 AUD. I used their fitting chart and tape measure to ensure it was a perfect fit, no bigger than absolutely necessary

I always use standard foam ear plugs. I can't get them to fit properly unless I squish-roll them between my index finger and thumb, before quickly inserting them before they have time to restore their original shape. You know when you have inserted them properly, because sound gradually deadens as they expand to fill the ear canal totally. They do not foul on the helmet as I put it on, and are very effective. I can barely hear the engine above the wind noise, at a level that I find acceptable, and is generally soon forgotten. I reuse the same pair until they get too worn out they don't hold their squished shape as readily.

After some experimentation I have settled on removing the chin curtain, which increases air flow behind the chin bar and greatly reduces fogging. This creates a fraction more wind noise, but more annoyingly a little turbulence around my lower face, but by deploying the chin spoiler, this issue is overcome. It also allows space to jam a gloved finger between the chin bar and chin, to wipe condensation off a cold nose for example.

I always ride with a thin keffiyeh-style scarf tucked under my collar, which keeps wind from travelling down the neck-hole of my jacket, and somewhat blocks wind from entering the helmet from below. I feel like this would be more substantial than a neck gaiter style option without being too bulky.

I removed the foam cheek pads, neckroll etc, and inserted an ancient interphone F5MC on a home-made bracket and the associated wiring and speakers, which fit snugly into the pre-prepared cut-outs. This works well, and allows me to listen to podcasts, google maps directions etc. easily over the foam earplugs.

I can easily insert and remove my sunglasses with the helmet visor open, and even take the helmet off over the sunglasses, generally by accident. I also bought the dark tinted visor, which I can use with the sunglasses as well, which additionally reduces sun-stroke/eye strain around the eyes even further. I leave the breath deflector in place (and a bigger one would likely be better).

Oh I forgot I also got an oxford throttle-assist wrist saver thingy. Cannot recommend these highly enough for highway riding. Only problem is it kind of needs to shift from 9 o'clock to about 11 o'clock in terms of angle if looking from the side if you know what I mean to hold the speed high. You can easily kinda bump it so it shifts upwards while riding to achieve this though once you get on the highway and are off the throttle for a moment.

It is a very comfortable set up - I recommend trying each step.

I have looked into larger windscreens, the madstad one looks like the best, and I think the taller optionswould help wind noise considerably, maybe even be recommended for very tall riders. The bike is already fugly so an even bigger windscreen has a lower relative cost in terms of aesthetics, but I've found the wind to be tolerable without it. I don't really ride in terrible weather, although have been through the occasional summer rain-storm without too much issue.

I do kind of regret purchasing the Barkbuster Storms - they just look so big and daggy, like a dacshunds floppy ears. I try not to think about aesthetics on my apparently dadly bike.

antipope fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 20, 2021

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

What helmet is it? My first helmet suuuuuucked.

Also:

antipope posted:

I always ride with a thin keffiyeh-style scarf tucked under my collar, which keeps wind from travelling down the neck-hole of my jacket, and somewhat blocks wind from entering the helmet from below. I feel like this would be more substantial than a neck gaiter style option without being too bulky.

Same. Started doing it to prevent sunburn on the back of my neck after trying those tube gaiter things and finding that they didn't work well for that. The thin ebay kufiya I got worked so good in summer that I bought a couple more, then a real one from a palestinian company for winter which is excellent in all weather.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
people with fairing bikes: without headwind, what holds your torso up? what keeps you from just flopping forward onto the tank?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Greg12 posted:

people with fairing bikes: without headwind, what holds your torso up? what keeps you from just flopping forward onto the tank?

Core strength.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

What helmet is it? My first helmet suuuuuucked.

HJC RPHA 90S
I was reading people doing noise tests and it's similar to the Schuberth C3 Pro I guess in private testing.

I do have earplugs and am using them.

I ended up trying a taller windscreen. It comes in next week. It might be that it cuts airflow and makes me hotter which is already an annoyance.

I'm not going to regret trying stuff though to figure out what my preferences are.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Eh second time out on the expressway I sorta like the wind haha. :confused:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
This is more gear thread related, but also for new riders.

What your helmet is good for is designed.

You get what you pay for.

Even with high end helmets the bobblehead factor and what it's designed for makes a difference. I had a Schuberth E1 that I used without the peak, it was okay. good ventilation, quiet.
I ride naked bikes or no faring bikes.
I wanted more shell sizes(a smaller helmet) and less weight so I got a AGV sportmodular. Carbon fiber, more shell sizes and more streamlined.
The biggest difference is that its effortless to sit in 70 to 80mph on a naked bike. smooth. On the Schuberth moving your head around in the airstream was an effort and much more noticeable when you turn your head.
The smaller speed oriented agv helmet was really much better for my riding.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

SEKCobra posted:

Core strength.

what now?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just wheelie until you offset gravity duh

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I may be overstating how uncomfortable I am in corners though, I don’t want it to sound like I’m completely paralyzed by the notion, just that I often do bad lines or bottle as you mentioned. In the end it’s just practice practice practice and confidence confidence confidence so I’m working on getting out more. Today everything just aligned and my friend wanted to doot around and I found I had a much better time than I usually do.
It took me a good 5 years of riding until I was comfortable with more than even a slight lean even on dry road. I blame lowsiding on a bicycle when I was a kid where I thought I could lean over like those cool motorbike riders I'd seen, except there was a bunch of loose gravel and I smacked hard into the ground.

I'm still nervous in the wet.

antipope posted:

I always use standard foam ear plugs. I can't get them to fit properly unless I squish-roll them between my index finger and thumb, before quickly inserting them before they have time to restore their original shape.
That's how you're supposed to fit foamies. Roll them up so you can insert them without having to push and insert them at a slight upwards angle. You can use your other hand to tug your ear up slightly to straighten the ear canal to make it easier. Then hold them there until they've expanded fully.

Riding without earplugs at highway speeds will eventually damage your hearing, no matter how good your helmet is. And as a bonus, with earplugs in you don't hear all the harmless but worrying rattles from your bike.

antipope
May 2, 2021

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah it just kind of occurred to me that people complain about ineffective ear plugs, or that they are painful or w/e. It took me taking up motorcycling to figure out how to install them properly, even though i've used them before at like gun ranges and concerts and stuff. Also I had a big gross gob of ear wax that was totally blocking my right ear and giving me tinnitus/hearing problems and causing the ear canal to be inflamed for the longest time, finally after probably years of ignorance I went to the doctor and they gave me some drops and a nurse douched all that gunk out and since then using the earplugs has not been painful and everything is much better. Get your ears checked if you have any pain using ear plugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Collateral Damage posted:

That's how you're supposed to fit foamies. Roll them up so you can insert them without having to push and insert them at a slight upwards angle. You can use your other hand to tug your ear up slightly to straighten the ear canal to make it easier.

god drat it why did I not think of this before