Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

SOLO looking kind of tight. Anyone know of any English resources to read up on what the classes do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Babe Magnet posted:

I played the Dragons Dogma MMO and it was worth the hassle. I remember using the google translate app on my phone to read a bunch of tue stuff the dialogue patch didn’t hit lol

the assassin in the mmo had dope rear end grappling hook moves you could use to slingshot around giant enemies

really hosed up we didn't get even a shitbag P2W version of this game on steam.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah for real, my money was on them at least giving us access to it after slowing down/dropping support or whatever, to wring some more cash out of a new market, but it straight up came and went before it left Japan.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ya im def playin solo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Calling your MMO "solo" is an interesting choice.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's actual name is Swords of Legends Online.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Everything I’ve read/heard about it sounds cool. It’s really popular in China so hopefully it has legs here.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I said come in! posted:

It's actual name is Swords of Legends Online.

That ruins the fun!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

fadam posted:

Everything I’ve read/heard about it sounds cool. It’s really popular in China so hopefully it has legs here.

Yeah the popularity in china combined with non garbage cash shop is what gives me the tiniest scrap of hope it's hit something good instead of being generic fantasy mmo #42069. China also has bucketloads of mmos, and this one isn't keeping people attached with lootbox stuff, there has to be something right?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pretty good class skill breakdown for SOLO here:
https://blog.fayie.net/gaming/solo/class-skills-list/

Translation seems a lot better than I expected.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah I went ahead and picked it up

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

eonwe posted:

yeah I went ahead and picked it up

It like doesn't have a hard release date yet, does it?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
nah but I know i'm gonna play it and that'll get me a beta key

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

fadam posted:

If I had a dollar every time someone had hope in an mmo, I'd be posting from the playboy mansion.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
It looks pretty. As long as the combat is more action than tab-target I am willing to give it a try.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not expecting it to be the MMO I always wanted, but it seems to have a lot of systems, its very popular in China while also not being pay to win, and it has lots of cool cosmetics.

So from the perspective of an mmo person, seems like its worth a try

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

eonwe posted:

I'm not expecting it to be the MMO I always wanted, but it seems to have a lot of systems, its very popular in China while also not being pay to win, and it has lots of cool cosmetics.

So from the perspective of an mmo person, seems like its worth a try

I thought mmorpgs are only really popular in China if it's p2w? At the very least I remember reading Eastern MMOs constantly need to adjust the p2w when going to Western markets, since that the east has more of a tolerance for p2w mechanics.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

If I had a dollar every time someone had hope in an mmo, I'd be posting from the playboy mansion.

MMOs are like RTSs. Dead.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Keegers posted:

I thought mmorpgs are only really popular in China if it's p2w? At the very least I remember reading Eastern MMOs constantly need to adjust the p2w when going to Western markets, since that the east has more of a tolerance for p2w mechanics.

It's not tolerance, afaik p2w mechanism are welcome, since it shows personal wealth and that is cool and good. I wish I remembered the article that delved further into p2w in Asia.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I have no expectation of this being a revelatory experience or anything, but I like MMOs (brand new MMOs might be my favourite genre of game tbh) and it's been a while since I've played a new, traditional-ish theme park MMO and it's nice that this at least has the benefit of being extremely popular in a market with a lot of competition.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also xianxia is cool even if I barely understand the references

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I’m excited for it because I enjoy BDO combat but hate that there’s nothing to actually do in that game besides grind, so am hoping SOLO can maybe bridge the gap a bit. These days I’m more into overworld content like GW2 events rather than raids but we shall see.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
If anyone ends up with extra SOLO beta keys and no friends I'll take one off your hands, assuming I don't break down and just buy it (in which case I'll drop keys here).

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

You can buy and refund it on Steam if you’re not 100% on board.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

busalover posted:

It's not tolerance, afaik p2w mechanism are welcome, since it shows personal wealth and that is cool and good. I wish I remembered the article that delved further into p2w in Asia.

Meanwhile, the West doesn't worship personal wealth at all.

No offense, but that does sound like bullshit.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
No clue what the reason is behind P2W mmos, but the Asian market loves em

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

eonwe posted:

Whale hunting most likely.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

fadam posted:

You can buy and refund it on Steam if you’re not 100% on board.

The beta time doesn't count toward the 2 hour refund? Well gently caress it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
generally the 2 hour refund limit is upon actual release on steam / steam early access, it can be refunded at any time prior to that

e: also you can preload the beta. its under a separate title, Swords of Legends Online Beta. So even more reason why you can refund if you want. Also its an 80 gig preload

eonwe fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 19, 2021

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Fame Douglas posted:

Meanwhile, the West doesn't worship personal wealth at all.

No offense, but that does sound like bullshit.

Yeah but P2W in the West runs afoul of an established gamer culture that is very against P2W. Without it I think P2W would be a lot more accepted and that's possibly why Asia embraces P2W: it's exactly what the West would do without that culture. I mean look at mobile games - since gamers largely rejected the platform (and it reached a much more casual market that didn't draw its opinions from that culture anyway) it grew up without their influence and developed very P2W.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Phigs posted:

Yeah but P2W in the West runs afoul of an established gamer culture that is very against P2W.

except in cases where the demographic is untapped and unaware of the established culture.

see: Star Citizen and nostalgic gamer dads.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

eonwe posted:

Internet cafes. They were the primary means of accessing the internet in asia 20 years ago. Asian developers created the f2p/p2w model with cafes in mind. Western MMOs had some technical hurtles that needed clearing by the cafe owner, which made them less popular.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

cmdrk posted:

except in cases where the demographic is untapped and unaware of the established culture.

see: Star Citizen and nostalgic gamer dads.

Also, sports games. NBA2k, FIFA, etc.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

Pandaal posted:

Also, sports games. NBA2k, FIFA, etc.

I have been so sad about the degredation of Fifa games...PES just doesn't cut it =/

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

SOLO Beta 1 Patch Notes: http://gf2.geo.gfsrv.net/cdna1/b8419cd16a9c8e179103005cc3b480.pdf

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Legit impressed they're reworking some of the UI to deal with the differences in text length between the two languages instead of just shrinking stuff down and cramming it in there lol.

I think this is cool as hell. I've played a lot of MMOs and I've never seen a dev release something like this before a launch.

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 19, 2021

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
It's true, I have never seen patch notes for an MMO realeased in .pdf :v:

Pryce
May 21, 2011

fadam posted:

Legit impressed they're reworking some of the UI to deal with the differences in text length between the two languages instead of just shrinking stuff down and cramming it in there lol.

I think this is cool as hell. I've played a lot of MMOs and I've never seen a dev release something like this before a launch.

Huh this is actually pretty neat and open. Surprising to see that much transparency, but really good guidance and expectation-setting.

.....anyone got a spare key? :P

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm finally trying RuneScape and I feel that this game would be good if it had like basic quality of life features such as telling you what items you need to gather for your quests via the menu (instead of going back to the quest giver) or markers to where the quest givers are.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Sword of Legends preload is up on steam if you like turtle heading your shits for a few days before dropping them.