Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
THE BEST MAN VS DARBY 71 56.35%
BUCKS VS SCU 40 31.75%
NAGATA VS MOX 14 11.11%
OC VS PAC 1 0.79%
Total: 126 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

nick gage was literally just the subject of a very popular documentary series about wrestling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

I have no idea who Nick Gage is. If he's the Joker I will be very disappointed, although I guess it's hard to sign new people that the average wrestling fan knows these days

I think we finally found the mythical casual viewer!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

https://twitter.com/wwe/status/1394081439591936006?s=21

#Brandpartnership

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If they get Nick Gage I want it to be in an unsanctioned deathmatch against Moxley, with Tony Khan on a headset mic at ringside just constantly berating the audience for forcing him to book this match because they wouldn’t stop making GBS threads on how safe the company had been trying to do things up until now while he hands out an endless supply of light tubes.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

cast nick cage as nick gage for the movie adaption,

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

if theres not a gage vs cage vs cage vs page vs page showdown, someone hosed up somewhere

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Helicity posted:

if theres not a gage vs cage vs cage vs page vs page showdown, someone hosed up somewhere

Is DDP still floating around

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Can’t wait for Scabspin to write an article about how AEW is spiraling because it had two beatdown segments on the same show while WWE is putting zombies and human train sound effects on their show

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Helicity posted:

With Team Dark on commentary

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
how many y’all like brands

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Seams posted:

not a huge fan of the neck tattoo

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

For reasons completely unrelated to any other show, I want Abadon to have an army of zombies.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Alaois posted:

nick gage was literally just the subject of a very popular documentary series about wrestling

What documentary?

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Alan_Shore posted:

What documentary?

It was the latest episode in season 3 of Dark Side of the Ring

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

all elite wrestling

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ozymandius1024 posted:

It was the latest episode in season 3 of Dark Side of the Ring

Cool I'd better check it out!

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Seams posted:

her cooking show is p. good

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

Seams posted:

only the philanthropic ones

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Would love to see Dickinson on TV, even if he clearly wants to be in NJPW so bad.

I would love to see him on TV too, I struggle to think what his actual character would be though.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

he's the Dirty Daddy

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Alaois posted:

he's the Dirty Daddy

Get him on Dark just for the 5 minute tangent from Taz about his drawstrings.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

History Comes Inside! posted:

Is DDP still floating around

Bet he could at least do referee duty

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Chris Dickinson probably has good matches but it's impossible to tell because the dick strings are the single craziest and most distracting attire choice in all of wrestling

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Get him on Dark just for the 5 minute tangent from Taz about his drawstrings.

Drawstring Jones

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Edit:wrong thread

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Huntman posted:

For reasons completely unrelated to any other show, I want Abadon to have an army of zombies.

https://twitter.com/KingSerpentico/status/1394094657919930375?s=19

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Spiderdrake posted:

Tony thinks he's the shits so I don't think he's coming back. Feels like Cody burnt the friend card liberating Ethan Page from impact instead.

Is that true? I wasn't really keeping a close eye on backstage buzz when Cardona was on TV.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Is that true? I wasn't really keeping a close eye on backstage buzz when Cardona was on TV.

They were doing the.. I want to say post All Out media scrum and some little kid asked Tony if Matt Cardona had been signed because he's one of his favorites and Tony very explicitly avoided answering "no" but still basically said "no"

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Did John have drip cut into his hair? Wwe is lame

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I would poo poo if Dickinson came out in the joker spot. I've been wanting to see him in AEW for a while, and I know he's kind of killing it in NJPW US but I just gave up my NJPW World sub so it'd be nice to see him on a show I watch.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
:toxx: fulfilment, week 2.

A whole week past, and yet still no sign of Bryan Danielson. With Amdragwatch for this week concluded, we now flip back to another American Dragon: it's time for the second Jake Watch-a-Long with the second episode of Season 2, Dragon Breath!

This episode's getting right into the mythical creatures, it seems, with an entire community of sewer trolls going running out of their homes. Jake's clearly rattled, part because he'd rather worry over the school dance and part because his mentor just shoved him into an open sewer with like no prep time. With how little time his talking dog's spent with him, pretty sure he's Jake's grandfather's wacky animal sidekick, not Jake's.

We also get only half an anime transformation- oh, I'm sorry, Dragon Up- this time around, and miss that chunky spinning dragon model.

It seems like every time Jake even shows a split second of ego, the show pulls the rug out from under him. Honestly, its a surprise. Usually the more action-y shows in this vein, like Danny Phantom, try to give their protagonists a W now and then, or at least have the alter ego be this cool hero type that they can never find the moxie to be as a civilian. Jake's dragon form and human form, on the other hand, act exactly the same. It's actually pretty refreshing handling it like this.

The plotline whiplash is real from this show. We're going from fighting monsters in the sewers, to Jake making up a fake date for the prom to save face in front of his crush, to Jake having really, really bad breath in the first few minutes. They're tying it all together, but you could've probably done an episode for each of those plots in a bit more slowed down of a show.

"Hasn't had a date since the Ming Dynasty" actually got a chuckle out of me. This show's humor overall definitely has its moments, although it's felt kind of tryhard overall. Then again, the early-mid 2000s were kind of tryhardy in general, weren't they? I can kind of see why ironic detachment became so popular, between that and the perceived earnestness of the 90s.

A secret bazaar hidden right in the rafters of a subway system is exactly the kind of poo poo I was waiting for in this store. And I didn't expect the magical reality elements and slice of life elements to bleed into each other, rather than serving as parallels or interruptions. I'm a fan of them going for that kind of intertwined plotline as early as episode 2, and Jake trying to find dates in the magical world is opening up a lot of opportunities for good humor.

When Jake's fake date had a bunch of rules about night time, a fixation on the moon, glowing red eyes, sharp teeth, and snarling sounds in the background whenever she appears, I expected a werewolf. Breaking out a much more obscure mystical creature (or maybe one unique to the series instead? It's a soul-sucking winged serpent kinda creature called a Nix.) is a nice surprise. Same with what seems like an obvious school bully type (big, dumb, dating the girl Jake likes) actually being a pretty chill and relaxed dude. I don't even think he's antagonized Jake a single time, even if he's making moves on the Nix.

Bad choice! There goes his soul, along with the souls of everyone at the party. Jake really should've let her go home sooner, and it's kind of weird that he isn't even having a moment of reflection about this. She even warned him that she has a very specific time before she can't be around people. It seems she's the same creature that was tearing up the troll sewer earlier, so it makes me wonder if she can even control this despite her best efforts. Was she caught up in a similar obligation in the troll sewer? Or does she seek out mayhem and destruction no matter how far she isolates herself? These questions the show has 0 interest in bringing up or answering have been the most interesting part of this watch by far.

The episode must've been running long, because they just kinda fast-tracked Jake's stinky breath into being the episode's solution. Like, legit, it just kinda passes out from the smell and everyone's souls get returned to their bodies. And that's the end.

If there's one thing I'm noticing about Jake Long, compared to other shows that experimented with being more plotty or adding comic book style elements at the time, it feels kind of static. I know I said Jake's buffoonery extending to his dragon form was kind of refreshing, but it also means we aren't really seeing the better self he could be striving for that teen heroes usually have represented in their secret identities. Without that immediate flash of forward potential, Jake's just kind of Jake, if that makes any sense. In addition, a lot of the other elements, in both the action and slice of life elements, seem to already be set pretty in stone. Jake already does all the things a dragon does (fly, breath fire, have sharp bits), which means there isn't any immediate forward progression in what he's capable of. His main weaknesses are his bravado and inexperience, and if the show isn't super invested in tackling these, then there won't be much forward momentum there. In addition, he and his crush are already pretty obviously into each other. If they end up together, it's not going to feel like it's because of character development, but instead because the showrunners decided, okay, now's the part where we let this happen.

Maybe that's all the point, though. From my initial judgments last episode, the show seems less interested in character development and episode-to-episode stories, but more interested in setting and overarching plot elements. The first episode threw us a ton of basic, bland character archetypes and a cliche plot, especially when it came to the slice of life elements, but seeded a lot of interesting potential in its setting detail. This episode seems to continue that trend, because frankly the only character of interest wasn't any of the main cast. Instead it was our one-off antagonist. She was a reluctant monster who, despite her best efforts to isolate herself, steals souls and rampages uncontrollably when the moon's too high in the sky. She even ends the episode on good terms with Jake, apologizing for her rampage despite Jake not even acknowledging his own mistakes in the episode. I don't think the school stuff should be cut entirely, because I think the fact that the magical world is so intertwined with the human world is part of what gives the show its interest in the first place. However, its painfully clear which half is getting interesting material to work with and which half is coasting by on 2000s cartoon stereotypes.

A lot of WWE alums like Ric Flair seem confident that Bryan Danielson's taking a short break before hopping back in the WWE, so this toxx could end up picking up it's pace quite a bit. On the other hand, I have no idea how much we can trust from people currently working with the WWE, so there's a lot still up in the air. It also makes me wonder what the heck Danielson appearing on AEW, then signing with WWE would count as for toxx purposes. Oh well. That's probably a question for another night.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

duckdealer posted:

I think we finally found the mythical casual viewer!

I think I'm also this, since I have no idea who that is either?

That said though a Gage/Cage/Page/Cage/Page/Dice match would be pretty cool.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Would the joker spot have to be someone unexpected and still well known for the “casual” fan? Unexpected in that AEW fans would be over the moon for, and well known for people hearing about the ppv but not having seen it would check out AEW to see this person in action.

Bee, what made you choose Jake Long to recap? I think I forgot the reasoning for the choice and I’m curious to know what would happen if you finish the series before Bryan comes back.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

Would the joker spot have to be someone unexpected and still well known for the “casual” fan? Unexpected in that AEW fans would be over the moon for, and well known for people hearing about the ppv but not having seen it would check out AEW to see this person in action.

Bee, what made you choose Jake Long to recap? I think I forgot the reasoning for the choice and I’m curious to know what would happen if you finish the series before Bryan comes back.

The American Dragon

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

poo poo. Right.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The Joker is going to be a Jokerfied Samoa Joe

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1394134616794140677?s=21

Evaluate Number accordingly next week.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Speaking of Number, I wonder if we'll hear any news coming out of WarnerMedia's event on Wednesday.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Joe Ker Spotted

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

TV Zombie posted:

I legit didn't even account for what happens if Bryan spends an entire year completely divorced from the mainstream US wrestling bubble. Like, I know taking off for a while to do stuff in Japan and the indies is a possibility, but I figured in that case we'd eventually get him in some kind of one-off match at AEW. I guess in that case the toxx is over because that's 53 entire episodes fulfilled?

Honestly, its kind of an unprecedented idea. Has anyone who was big in the US remained actively wrestling while simultaneously avoiding WWE or . . . I guess Impact would be the closest analogy? Closest I can think of is full-on going to Japan during that time.