Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

In Mass Effect 1, have they figured out the difference between the Level Scaling "Legendary" and "Classic" settings?
Legendary level max is 30 with double xp required per level and double level-up rewards. Classic level cap is 60, standard xp reqs and level-up rewards.

Is there any funcitonal difference other than just trying to keep ME1 in "character development parity" with ME2 and ME3?

I'm pretty sure that Legendary has you level faster and get more points with each one. I was able to unlock stuff much quicker than back in the day. I think it's because they know you're probably not gonna replay the first game again, so they want to get you your powers much faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

chaosapiant posted:

Mass Effect has two play styles:

Fire bullets from a gun
or
Be the Bullet

You can't be the bullet in ME1

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Piell posted:

That's kind of why I asked the question.

In ME2 I had a riot playing Vanguard but that playstyle doesn't really exist in ME1... and it's been long enough that I kinda forgot how these classes play.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Basically -

Tech abilities are debuffs + damage. Each one locks down - weapons, abilities, shields or a stun.

Combat classes specialize in certain weapons. If you have a specialization you should probably use one of those as your main weapon, however now with the LE weapon changes you can use all 4 depending on the situation. I'm playing an adept (pistols only) and I have put no points into pistol and swap between all of them, usually sniper/AR though

Biotic abilities are Crowd Control. Hit scary enemies to knock them down, as that prevents them from A. hurting you B. using their own abilities. You can KO enemies before they can use defensive abilities to make them easier to kill.

Whichever class you pick will have one or two of those, you'll mix and match what you want to do. Classes in 1 do not have 'signature' abilities that you put a whole playstyle around like in 2 or 3.

edit:
Classes are
Soldier (combat) - Vanguard (combat + biotics) - Adept (biotics) - Sentinel (tech + biotics) - Engineer (tech) - Infiltrator (combat + tech)

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 17, 2021

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm pretty sure that Legendary has you level faster and get more points with each one. I was able to unlock stuff much quicker than back in the day. I think it's because they know you're probably not gonna replay the first game again, so they want to get you your powers much faster.

Yeah, I'm level 19 after doing Feros and Therum and some side quests, with Noveria and everything else still to go after that. I was never level 38 by that point in the original. It's possible the other changes they made to XP, like full XP in the Mako, are offsetting that some; did anyone go with classic leveling mode to make a comparison?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Vichan posted:

A lot of enemies tend to rush you as soon as you enter the combat zones, this isn't as egregious in main missions but the sidequests can be unbearable due to this, especially when you're facing biotics.

The side quest with the biotics on the ship is horrible poo poo. Getting hit by throw 5 times every few seconds and completely unable to do anything about it.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Piell posted:

"Believe in the bullet, and shoot yourself."

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I'm not sure if I missed the listening post missions before, but how do those rachni's existence not invalidate the big rachni decision? Is it because a lack of a Queen? They've spread across multiple planets on that mission. I have to have missed/not paid attention to an explantation in the mission.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Thom12255 posted:

The side quest with the biotics on the ship is horrible poo poo. Getting hit by throw 5 times every few seconds and completely unable to do anything about it.

My biggest complaint about those biotics is that if you get hit by warp while standing near a wall you get clipped into it and you can't get iut

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Anybody else on PC not being able to even get past the launcher? I boot up ME1 and it just crashes. Extremely cool.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Wow doing the Thorian as an adept on Insane is a slog. The thralls take a million shots to go down and if they get near you they'll one shot you because your up/armor is crap. Plus your biotic powers don't do too much because there are so many of them.

I ended up putting everyone on shotguns with knockback ammo and just kept cycling who we were attacking to knock them over. Took like an hour.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
I used snipers (same as you, with knock back) and Liara. Doubling up on warp / lift / singularity kept us safe so no deaths but yeah - very very slow.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Tim Whatley posted:

Anybody else on PC not being able to even get past the launcher? I boot up ME1 and it just crashes. Extremely cool.

Try opening the regular origin client if you have it installed. I've seen some people report crashes like that with just the thin client running

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

DarkLich posted:

I've had some PS4 bugs. Two crashes, both near the Citadel Financial District. I've also had Shephard randomly freeze and stop moving, while the rest of the game around her functions. Now I've got the habit of manually saving every 5 minutes.

Beyond the bugs, the experience has been fine. I forgot how much of ME1's color palette is just silver and brown. Makes me realize why Virmire was such a breath of fresh air compared to the earlier locations.

Which boss or area is this? My general advice is to find some cover and use some abilities to pick off the weaker enemies surrounding the boss. Biotics can really help with ground control.

Sombrerotron posted:

I just murdered a geth armature with the Mako by driving over it and then jump-jetting in place on top of it until it died. A+ GOTY
ME1's combat is definitely the product of knowing in a general sense of what it should be - an action-RPG/cover shooter blend - but not really how it should be executed. After getting some levels in and arriving at the point where you can actually frequently use powers it gets a bit better, though, as you won't have to trouble yourself so much with overheating weapons anymore. ME2 and ME3 vastly improve on combat, though (not to mention the inventory, which in ME1's case is still very much a holdover from KotOR's equally dire inventory; and possibly Jade Empire's as well, but I can't really recall as I only played it once a number of years ago).

As for the boss, where are you at exactly?

It was on the planet where you get the last squad mate, right before you go into the cave there's a big fight with a bunch of shooty bois, jumpy bois, and one big tripod cannon thing. I finally got Wrex to take cover with me but I still couldn't figure out how to kill the things that were jumping all over the place, I think I just sat in cover long enough that my squad took care of them. Then I was able to snipe everything else.

After that my guys kept getting killed by these little drones that seem like they are meant to be like, goomba level enemies. I don't think I really picked up on how the combat and powers interact with each other during the introductory act battles, I just shot my way out of every situation. I still have no idea what the biotic powers do lol, but maybe that's cuz I picked a main character that doesn't have them.

DourCricket posted:

Combat classes specialize in certain weapons. If you have a specialization you should probably use one of those as your main weapon, however now with the LE weapon changes you can use all 4 depending on the situation.

Ohhhhhhhh, I was wondering why I could equip everyone with every weapon. But what does the last part mean, cuz I can't seem to actually draw every weapon in combat?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Vichan posted:

The former needs 9 charm, I had to do a lot of side missions as well as a bit of Noveria before coming back to the Citadel.

From what I remember the Exogeni dude is the hardest check in the game, I've never been able to do it unless I save Feros for last.

I swear I made it during my playthrough with Feros as my second main planet, but no longer, even with 10 Charm (current max). Any way to edit Paragon/Renegade (or the raw Intimidate/Charm scores) yet? Also, does killing Jeong screw the colony if you do all the other nice things (spare the colonists and the asari, did all the subquests) or am I OK if I can't spare the idiot?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
You know with the combat changes I'd actually recommend going Soldier in ME1 and playing on Normal.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Ohhhhhhhh, I was wondering why I could equip everyone with every weapon. But what does the last part mean, cuz I can't seem to actually draw every weapon in combat?

Hold LB/L1 to pull up the weapon wheel. In the original you could equip all 4 guns but only the soldier can actually make use of them. Now all classes can aim/shoot with them.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I think I do Dig Site - Noveria - Feros every time. Dig Site is first because of Liara, but I think it's mostly because Noveria is more interesting than Feros overall to me.

Plus the infinite paragon/renegade points at Noveria, which is still in.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bobjr posted:

I think I do Dig Site - Noveria - Feros every time. Dig Site is first because of Liara, but I think it's mostly because Noveria is more interesting than Feros overall to me.

Plus the infinite paragon/renegade points at Noveria, which is still in.

I go Therum > Feros > Bring Down The Sky/Pinacle Station > Noveria because the confrontation with Benezia at the end of Novera feels like it's a big end of act 1 moment, with Virmire and the Citadel return being act 2 and then Ilos-onwards being act 3 of the game. There's also a more logical progression on the path to Saren this way. You find Benezia's daughter on Therum, you fight Benezia's acolyte on Feros, you fight Benezia herself on Noveria, and Benezia then leads you to Saren.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Zedd posted:

Roses Are Red
Violets are Blue
Go Go Go
I will destroy you.

Therum is Red
The Normandy's Blue
Feros is Grey
Noveria is Grey
Citadel is Grey
Ilos is Grey
Spaceships are Grey
Outposts are Grey
The best armor is Grey the second best armor is grey, I was getting Titan and Colossus armors mixed up. The best armor is red and black.
The best guns are Grey
Burma-Shave

Though in all honesty, they did spruce things up a bit for the remaster so it's not quite as monotonous.

e: Jennifer Hale's take on Renegade Shepard as "done putting up with bullshit" is great.
Gianna Parasini: "You can't bludgeon your way through corporate bureaucracy."
Shepard: "I can bludgeon pretty hard."

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 17, 2021

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ME2

is getting Legion early worth it? I heard you have to essentially sacrifice people for it somehow but I want him for Tali's mission, if possible.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Inzombiac posted:

ME2

is getting Legion early worth it? I heard you have to essentially sacrifice people for it somehow but I want him for Tali's mission, if possible.
If that's all you want to do with Legion, you can do that without sacrificing anyone. After you do the IFF mission you can do two additional missions before the crew is kidnapped (unless you don't have any quests remaining, in which case it happens right away). That gives you time to do both Tali's and Legion's loyalty mission (although you need to speak to Legion to add his loyalty mission to the journal before touching the galaxy map to avoid the kidnapping triggering early).

Remember that if the kidnapping does happen, you can't do any more missions before going through the Omega 4 relay or you will lose part of your crew.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
EDIT: Legion's better left for a second or third playthrough

Spacebump posted:

I'm not sure if I missed the listening post missions before, but how do those rachni's existence not invalidate the big rachni decision? Is it because a lack of a Queen? They've spread across multiple planets on that mission. I have to have missed/not paid attention to an explantation in the mission.

It's another out of control experiment by humanity's answer to the Salarian STG, Cerberus

Outpost22 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 17, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Outpost22 posted:

EDIT: Legion's better left for a second or third playthrough

Also if you have the PC version you can edit Legion into your party immediately after Freedom's Progress with one of the readily available and easy to use save editors and see all the dialog that was recorded for him for every mission that 90% of people never got to witness because BioWare stuck him at the end of the game essentially after the Point of No Return. That said you won't get any of his characterization dialog on the Normany until after you finish his loyalty mission/the game itself. Taking him into the Derelict Reaper also breaks the game, so don't do that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hmm, sounds like a hassle.
I've completed ME2 once before, way back when, so maybe I'll just look it up on YouTube.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MadDogMike posted:

I swear I made it during my playthrough with Feros as my second main planet, but no longer, even with 10 Charm (current max). Any way to edit Paragon/Renegade (or the raw Intimidate/Charm scores) yet? Also, does killing Jeong screw the colony if you do all the other nice things (spare the colonists and the asari, did all the subquests) or am I OK if I can't spare the idiot?

If you did all the other stuff it survives.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Vichan posted:

The bottom one is the best solely because the face doesn't look as derpy as the others. The blonde one would be my second choice.

I remember that blonde one was met with full on Gamer Derision because eww stupid blonde bimbo girls.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

goblin week posted:

I remember that blonde one was met with full on Gamer Derision because eww stupid blonde bimbo girls.

My first Shep was blonde and is my head canon Shep. Haters gonna hate. :colbert:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Why is this thread obsessed with what gamers did 10 years ago.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I forgot how wordy 1 was. You can see the old school RPG design showing when you make it to the Citadel for the first time an hour in and have to wade through a bunch conversations about politics and corruption and such.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Because they rose up, and now Biden is president?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I mean, the thread is about games that came out 10 years ago. It seems like a fair topic of discussion to me, but I haven't been a close follower of Mass Effect drama.

I think any of those Shepards look fine, it's not like it has any impact on my game, it's something that shows up in the occasional promotional artwork or default character option that I immediately click off of.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Blue Raider posted:

I forgot how wordy 1 was. You can see the old school RPG design showing when you make it to the Citadel for the first time an hour in and have to wade through a bunch conversations about politics and corruption and such.

Oh yeah. You can spend the first 4 hours or so there and it really drags.
2 is much more punchy.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It’s called having a working memory! You should try that out someday.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
ME1 down, 100% completion! Barely level 29 and because I forgot to click ONE DIALOGUE OPTION AT THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME - I missed only 1 achievement.

Apparently it'll only take 30-45m to get it in ng+ but still... Why the hell is there only one chance to learn about Protheans.

On to ME2 insanity! Horizon calls to me 😩

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

goblin week posted:

It’s called having a working memory! You should try that out someday.

I don't give a turd about what your imaginary gamer strawman from ten years ago thought about which mass effect lady looked good or bad, and I'm glad my mind automatically deletes useless poo poo like that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My mind perfectly recalls all memories and it is tearing my family apart.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Oh yeah. You can spend the first 4 hours or so there and it really drags.
2 is much more punchy.

It’s not just that either. I had completely forgotten about the text blurbs that pop up when you complete one of the game’s throwaway side quests. There’s like 500 words describing the vision when you put the consort’s artifact in that random sphere you find by exploring some planet.

Games don’t really do that much anymore.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

DourCricket posted:

ME1 down, 100% completion! Barely level 29 and because I forgot to click ONE DIALOGUE OPTION AT THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME - I missed only 1 achievement.

Apparently it'll only take 30-45m to get it in ng+ but still... Why the hell is there only one chance to learn about Protheans.

On to ME2 insanity! Horizon calls to me 😩

Some of the codex entries have weird triggers, since I got the "Collect all main codex entries for council races" only after I talked to the Elcor vendor on Noveria, and that could easily be missed, unless it can pop up in a few places.

Also one thing I just noticed this run is most characters have a solid yes/no on should we have killed the Rachni Queen or not if it comes up, but Kaiden is the only one to go "We should have just pushed this decision on someone else" without a clear answer.

bobjr fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I don't give a turd about what your imaginary gamer strawman from ten years ago thought about which mass effect lady looked good or bad, and I'm glad my mind automatically deletes useless poo poo like that.

Someone please think of this poor person struggling to keep up with the blistering pace of this ten post per hour thread because some people talk about things they don't care about