Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm glad that class b, having entered the same school through the same entrance requirements and received equivalent training and education, are approximately equal to our main cast because there is no reason not be and it'd be stupid if they weren't

This is a weirdly extended arc to make that point with no further underlying drama or plot though. They could've done it in half the time and it'd be fine, or they could've had some kind of stakes or drama and it'd probably also be fine. Instead this is like a filler tournament arc

One thing that's kinda weird about class b though is class a has a decent number of "heavy hitters" like bakugo and hot n cold, while class b doesn't really have anyone on the same level of "blatantly overpowered in direct combat" as the guy who can turn the entire battlefield into a glacier as an opening move. Wish we got to see our focus characters' future direct peers on top of the class as a whole's direct peers

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah tbh I liked this arc just fine in the manga but I read it in like one or two sittings with the volumes, having it spread out over weeks and months like this really doesn't do anything good for the pacing.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It seems like what they've done is taken the major focus characters so far and spread them out amongst the fights to make each fight have some more viewer investment, but they really should've condensed it down to 2 or 3 fights with the focus characters in it, and had a couple fights with "nobodies" to gloss over or even outright have happen offscreen. This arc is trying to give every character across 2 different classes some focus time and there just isn't enough episode time to do that effectively, some triage needed to happen with this arc and then maybe later have a follow up arc giving the characters who missed out the first time around some extended screentime. They could probably have put tomoyami and iida on the sideline this arc and then have the next vs class b arc focus a lot more on them.

I guess after the fourth season there were a lot of pretty important classmates who have been out of the limelight for a while and this arc is a way of getting reacquainted with them/show a bit of what they've been doing in the meantime. But it really needed to focus down on "ok todoroki and bakugo are going to be big characters in the upcoming arc, let's give them some focus in the minitournament so everyone has a good baseline idea of where they are right now" and figure out who else can just be cut out this time around

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 17, 2021

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

Ojiro's a phenomenal martial arts expert and has definitely demonstrated superhuman strength with his tail. His big weakness is that he's totally useless outside of melee range. He has to close the distance on an enemy and he doesn't have any particular tools to improve his ability to do so. This isn't a unique problem - Shoji also demonstrated that this episode and Kirishima and Tetsutetsu are pure brawlers as well. They're all still going to be fine heroes, they're just never going to top the ranks.

He's a martial arts expert who lost a one on one fight with spinny hands.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I assume spinny hands is also some manner of martial artist

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

WrightOfWay posted:

Heh, foolish Batman, you didn't anticipate MY GIANT DRILL

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

ninjewtsu posted:

One thing that's kinda weird about class b though is class a has a decent number of "heavy hitters" like bakugo and hot n cold, while class b doesn't really have anyone on the same level of "blatantly overpowered in direct combat" as the guy who can turn the entire battlefield into a glacier as an opening move. Wish we got to see our focus characters' future direct peers on top of the class as a whole's direct peers

Shiozaki (aka vine hair) seems to be their hardest hitter and mushroom girl is OP as poo poo, even if she's not really as impressive at first glance. Manga can also put in some real work in terms of brute force and Honenuki can control a battlefield, but Manga clearly can't fist fight for poo poo so he falls apart as soon as someone closes the distance and Honenuki can't really finish a fight if he can't keep someone trapped because he just lacks raw strength.

There's a few Class B students left that I think have really good quirks but yeah, you're right that nobody in their class stands out as massively dangerous on the level that Bakugo, Todoroki, or even Kaminari and Tokoyami are.

WrightOfWay posted:

Kaibara, aka Spinny hands, also appears to be talented at martial arts, which makes sense considering his entire quirk is just "I can turn my hands and feet into drills." Close combat is the best place for him to use his quirk. Getting punched hurts but getting punched by a power drill is much worse.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
He made note of the super hard finger glove support item drillman was using. Seems like he needs something similar if he can't actually enhance his quirk in any way.

Gazaar fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 17, 2021

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

He should cover his tail is spikes.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

ninjewtsu posted:

My personal headcanon for this has been, if you have students like Bakugo and Todoroki who are essentially little walking WMDs coming into the first year at your school, and your two year 1 hero course homeroom teachers are the guy who can turn off quirks or the guy who can manipulate blood, you're gonna give them to the guy who can turn off quirks.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

Shiozaki (aka vine hair) seems to be their hardest hitter and mushroom girl is OP as poo poo, even if she's not really as impressive at first glance. Manga can also put in some real work in terms of brute force and Honenuki can control a battlefield, but Manga clearly can't fist fight for poo poo so he falls apart as soon as someone closes the distance and Honenuki can't really finish a fight if he can't keep someone trapped because he just lacks raw strength.

There's a few Class B students left that I think have really good quirks but yeah, you're right that nobody in their class stands out as massively dangerous on the level that Bakugo, Todoroki, or even Kaminari and Tokoyami are.

Kaibara, aka Spinny hands, also appears to be talented at martial arts, which makes sense considering his entire quirk is just "I can turn my hands and feet into drills." Close combat is the best place for him to use his quirk. Getting punched hurts but getting punched by a power drill is much worse.

Not just his hands and feet. His quirk is "any part of his body," so if they wanted to be really silly, they could've had him go full helicopter with his torso or something, but who knows.

Looking over the quirks of Class 1-B and spoiling myself on some of them, they very much don't have the raw "explosive" sorts of powers that 1-A has at least compared to Bakugo and Todoroki or Deku and Iida. Much of the class is closer to Kaminari and Tokoyami and the rest of 1-A where they're either still very broadly potent but at a lower tier or or have extremely good utility that just needs the appropriate tools or situation or combo to shine.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It does make sense that Izuku Bakugo and Todoroki would all be with Aizawa. Each of them is dangerous enough that having the no quirks now guy around during all their training sessions is pretty mandatory.

As for why Bakugo can keep up, remember he’s been training all his life for being a hero and his fighting style involves exposing himself to high power explosives point blank. The toughness of humanity in general seems to have gone up and Bakugo in particular uses explosions to fly.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

isn't there some additional mechanism to his quirk that bakugo utilizes to protect himself form his own explosions? i feel like there was an explanation that was basically "bakugo is effectively immune to his own explosions, but he does have to flex his 'my hand will not be hurt by my explosions' muscle as a constant background distraction." like has to flash a protective layer of anti-explosion sweat on his hands or some poo poo

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

ninjewtsu posted:

isn't there some additional mechanism to his quirk that bakugo utilizes to protect himself form his own explosions? i feel like there was an explanation that was basically "bakugo is effectively immune to his own explosions, but he does have to flex his 'my hand will not be hurt by my explosions' muscle as a constant background distraction." like has to flash a protective layer of anti-explosion sweat on his hands or some poo poo

He's immune to the fiery death part of his explosions, not the physical strain of constantly having high pressure bombs go off near you. Too much use strains his shoulders and his hero outfit is actually designed with a bunch of braces to help counter that fact, as well as his glove/grenade thingies which are meant to reduce the amount of force that he takes when he fires off.

Specifically, when they were fighting All Might and Izuku uses Bakugo's grenade thing the explosive force nearly dislocated Izuku's arm (he wasn't using One for All so that's just Izuku's natural capability/musculature).

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 17, 2021

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Holy poo poo they got cube man back for 40 seconds of animation and drat it was nice

I love cube guy

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I've also seen a few theories that Bakugo is as loud as he is because he's starting to lose his hearing as a result of his own explosions and is too proud to admit it. I doubt it's canon, but it does seem like a likely long term downside to his quirk.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

CuwiKhons posted:

I've also seen a few theories that Bakugo is as loud as he is because he's starting to lose his hearing as a result of his own explosions and is too proud to admit it. I doubt it's canon, but it does seem like a likely long term downside to his quirk.

Exposure to Nitroglycerin also can cause headaches, dizzyness and low heart rate/blood pressure. Which some theorise is why Bakugo does a few of his personality things, dealing with constant headaches causes him to tune out non-important information "extras" and he gets angry a lot to keep his adrenaline up because that helps with his issues, not that this excuses things and he's likely not fully aware of it, but these are the effects of nitroglycerin exposure and he does straight up sweat nitroglycerin.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Well logically Bakugo should really spend his entire life in a hospital having his sweat harvested for pharmaceutical purposes.
-a web comic by someone who's just so very smart, you see

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

Exposure to Nitroglycerin also can cause headaches, dizzyness and low heart rate/blood pressure. Which some theorise is why Bakugo does a few of his personality things, dealing with constant headaches causes him to tune out non-important information "extras" and he gets angry a lot to keep his adrenaline up because that helps with his issues, not that this excuses things and he's likely not fully aware of it, but these are the effects of nitroglycerin exposure and he does straight up sweat nitroglycerin.

he just has an explosive personality, much like how tokoyami is the world's most precious mall goth

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Revelry in the dark

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
It does seem like, given how omnipresent the issue of "close-combat heroes need to be able to get in close" is, the support course faculty at UA should have developed by now like a suite of gadgets to help out with this. Rocket boots, AoT style zipline harness thingies, fuckin heelies or something, just anything to be able to lay out as options to upcoming heroes like Ojiro or Shoji so they have SOMETHING other than just "hope you can run after the villains fast enough on foot!"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Waffleman_ posted:

Revelry in the dark

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Hargrimm posted:

It does seem like, given how omnipresent the issue of "close-combat heroes need to be able to get in close" is, the support course faculty at UA should have developed by now like a suite of gadgets to help out with this. Rocket boots, AoT style zipline harness thingies, fuckin heelies or something, just anything to be able to lay out as options to upcoming heroes like Ojiro or Shoji so they have SOMETHING other than just "hope you can run after the villains fast enough on foot!"

I would assume that's second year stuff, first year is probably lets get you where you can get on your own with some support items as necessary. In general UA seems to also reward/push for self-improvement and thoughtful action, instead of just providing the answers they want the students to reach the answers on their own about how best to be a hero.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lord_Magmar posted:

It does make sense that Izuku Bakugo and Todoroki would all be with Aizawa. Each of them is dangerous enough that having the no quirks now guy around during all their training sessions is pretty mandatory.

As for why Bakugo can keep up, remember he’s been training all his life for being a hero and his fighting style involves exposing himself to high power explosives point blank. The toughness of humanity in general seems to have gone up and Bakugo in particular uses explosions to fly.

Also Bakugo is a literal genius

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah for how powerful bakugo's quirk is in combat, i did really appreciate when they spent some time going into how it's also really hard to use, bakugo just makes it look easy. all of those precise midair acrobatics bakugo does require having a pretty well ingrained sense of physics and also a lot of control over the strength and angle of his explosions, if you gave a bunch of people that same power very few would be able to do half the poo poo he does. hell that he manages to make a safe landing more than 40% of the time is probably pretty remarkable in itself.

honestly if the show wanted to get into it (it definitely doesn't) there's probably some decent parallels between bakugo and lemillion there

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

One day I want to see the absolutely wild acrobatics Bakugo could get up to if Uraraka used her quirk on him and just let him fly.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

One day I want to see the absolutely wild acrobatics Bakugo could get up to if Uraraka used her quirk on him and just let him fly.

Not really acrobatics but I couldn't resist:

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 17, 2021

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ninjewtsu posted:

yeah for how powerful bakugo's quirk is in combat, i did really appreciate when they spent some time going into how it's also really hard to use, bakugo just makes it look easy. all of those precise midair acrobatics bakugo does require having a pretty well ingrained sense of physics and also a lot of control over the strength and angle of his explosions, if you gave a bunch of people that same power very few would be able to do half the poo poo he does. hell that he manages to make a safe landing more than 40% of the time is probably pretty remarkable in itself.

honestly if the show wanted to get into it (it definitely doesn't) there's probably some decent parallels between bakugo and lemillion there

The main difference between Bakugo and Mirio is that Mirio had to work hard to get his quirk to a place where it is dominating but Bakugo is a natural so he already started ahead and he's a hardworker which is also kind of why Deku pisses him off. Bakugo knows he's talented but he's been working his rear end off since day 1 to be the strongest despite how a lot of people would rest on their laurels and out of dumb luck this kid he knew is surpassing him.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Bakugo is actually the same as Shinso. Both were immediately told that their quirks are amazing and that they would make a good hero/villain.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Bakugo FTW

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Bakugo is the type of person who screams at baristas when they write the name slightly wrong on a cup and I will never understand why people expended so much brainpower fawning over an unrepentant bully.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Are you okay

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

sharrrk posted:

Bakugo FTW

Yeah!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

As a human being, I would say Bakugo is pretty much impossible to like before his fight with Deku at the dorms. But hey, character development is cool.

As a character, whatever. People like way worse (in terms of crimes) characters than Bakugo.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

socialsecurity posted:

Not everyone fights supervillains some dudes walk around stopping basic muggings and the such he'd be fine for that.
What I meant was, keeping Shinso from entering the hero course is stupid given his abilities and their current situation

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 17, 2021

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jackard posted:

What I meant was, keeping Shinso from entering the hero course is stupid given his abilities and their current situation

Yeah any system that would deny someone with that power from being a hero is dumb, the sole ability to say "Let that hostage go" and have them do it makes him incredibly useful, who gives a gently caress if he can't punchmans.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Not Keyser Soze posted:

Bakugo is the type of person who screams at baristas when they write the name slightly wrong on a cup and I will never understand why people expended so much brainpower fawning over an unrepentant bully.

Bullies are cool now.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Not Keyser Soze posted:

You say this like it somehow disqualifies a character from being enjoyable to see onscreen and I don't understand how this is the case

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
bakugo praiseposting into bakugo hateposting is a tale as old as time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

we are in season five how do you go that long without getting an inkling of an idea why someone else would enjoy a character you don't