Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I don't know exactly what changes they did to the ME1 combat, but it's actually fun now. That's probably the biggest surprise of this so far. Decided to go with Soldier because I've never done it and wanted to unlock weapon types for future playthroughs, and I'm enjoying sniper rifles enough that I'm probably going to do 2 and 3 as Infiltrator.

Since my previous trilogy playthroughs were Paragon best-outcome runs, I'm also doing Renegade this time and exploring some of the alternate outcomes. Not looking forward to killing Wrex. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
For those who love all weapons in ME1 and ME3 - there is a mod on Nexus for 2 that unlocks all the weapons for every class 👍

fadam posted:

Minor ME1 spoilers. Did I miss a way to Keep the research on stopping the Genophage on Virmire?

No. No choices like that

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 17, 2021

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

One thing that might have changed was the fight after you rescue Liara and fight the Krogan Battlemaster, are there less enemies now? I only had him and two basic Geth enemies, and I remember that being more of a packed fight when I played the original.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Is there any game that has similar multiplayer to 3? I miss it, but I don't want to hook up my old PS3 and pray the servers are still up.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I just got out of the Citadel in ME1 and I assumed their tweaking the gunplay would mean tweaking the piles of garbage loot but here I am, sorting through six slightly-worse pistols and four more Motorized Joints mods every time I fight some pirates!

Between that and the 'bounce around on an uncharted planet to grab those last few minerals' gameplay of every sidequest I was reminded of why ME1 was the very first time I ever went 'oh, I could probably watch a movie or listen to music and not miss anything important' while playing a video game.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Minor ME1 spoilers. Did I miss a way to Keep the research on stopping the Genophage on Virmire?

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

goblin week posted:

I remember that blonde one was met with full on Gamer Derision because eww stupid blonde bimbo girls.

The other way around, it was mostly people chastising the Gamers for voting for the most conventionally-attractive white one

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

fadam posted:

Thats me2

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Also I maintain Virmire has some of the best combat music in the series. I couldn't even tell you why but it sure scratches my itch.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Wolfsheim posted:

I just got out of the Citadel in ME1 and I assumed their tweaking the gunplay would mean tweaking the piles of garbage loot but here I am, sorting through six slightly-worse pistols and four more Motorized Joints mods every time I fight some pirates!

Between that and the 'bounce around on an uncharted planet to grab those last few minerals' gameplay of every sidequest I was reminded of why ME1 was the very first time I ever went 'oh, I could probably watch a movie or listen to music and not miss anything important' while playing a video game.

Yeah, I gotta say anyone hoping that the combat in 1 gets drastically improved is in for disappointment. Aside from making off-spec weapons feasible, giving different weapon brands a little more variation (e.g. burst fire), and making the shots feel beefier it's still the same basic ME1 combat. They definitely didn't port ME2/3 gameplay in to ME1.

It's funny how getting a new weapon in ME2 is this pivotal, once-every-few-missions event, while ME1 has every locker stuffed with two or three. Which are all vendor trash.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

lowercase16 posted:

Is there any game that has similar multiplayer to 3? I miss it, but I don't want to hook up my old PS3 and pray the servers are still up.

Warframe is essentially souped-up ME3 multiplayer and pretty cool. It’s free to play with a gamer-friendly monetizing system, I played it for maybe 40 hours without spending a single cent until I got tired of the game.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Also I maintain Virmire has some of the best combat music in the series. I couldn't even tell you why but it sure scratches my itch.

Whatever the ME1 menu theme is it might be my favorite kind of "Let's explore space" music.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

All of virmire's music is good but the assault track stands out yeah

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, I gotta say anyone hoping that the combat in 1 gets drastically improved is in for disappointment. Aside from making off-spec weapons feasible, giving different weapon brands a little more variation (e.g. burst fire), and making the shots feel beefier it's still the same basic ME1 combat. They definitely didn't port ME2/3 gameplay in to ME1.

It's funny how getting a new weapon in ME2 is this pivotal, once-every-few-missions event, while ME1 has every locker stuffed with two or three. Which are all vendor trash.

Yeah, after trying out a few different classes on Eden Prime I just went gently caress it and rolled a soldier to hopefully steamroll the encounters a bit, I figure the inevitable second run will be better after unlocking a bunch of stuff on this playthrough.

This will also be probably the only time I let Fist live onto ME2, because I skipped getting Wrex until the very end of the Citadel this time (a thing I didn't even realize was possible until my fourth playthrough back in the day).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
To this day I have no idea what the hell is going on with Armistan Banes. Did he really die? Was Cerberus just using his identity? Very big Jedi Master Sifo Diyas energy from this plot line

Lmao I forgot to ask Anderson about Banes until after Kahoku dies and Anderson is telling me to ask Admiral Kahoku. I was able to tell Anderson I had met him before, but not that he was dead. It made the conversation hilarious because it played out like Shepard was awkwardly keeping it from Anderson for some reason.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 17, 2021

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Banes is just a thread to lead to the Cerberus storyline. Bodies and mysteries.

Banes? He’s dead. These guys found him. What? They’re dead too. poo poo now I’m dead.

They never address why the krogan is using his name.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

goblin week posted:

I remember that blonde one was met with full on Gamer Derision because eww stupid blonde bimbo girls.

the way i remember it going down, blonde was voted most popular and everyone who wanted anything else raged, it was probably the first time on the internet when i'd read the argument that democracy doesn't work for situations like this because the unwashed masses will just pick the 'blonde bimbo' every time, even when there's strong reason to do otherwise like the default femmeshep being a redhead, and that you'll never see any variety without editorial fiat

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
If I play Adept in ME1, would it be better to go with an upgraded pistol or a not-upgraded assault rifle and spending the points elsewhere?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You should probably spend some points elsewhere anyways but pistols are quite good in ME1.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

bobjr posted:

Some of the codex entries have weird triggers, since I got the "Collect all main codex entries for council races" only after I talked to the Elcor vendor on Noveria, and that could easily be missed, unless it can pop up in a few places.

Also one thing I just noticed this run is most characters have a solid yes/no on should we have killed the Rachni Queen or not if it comes up, but Kaiden is the only one to go "We should have just pushed this decision on someone else" without a clear answer.

I'm going with a Kaidan romance and (Virmire spoiler) killing off Ashley this playthrough and I don't know if it's because I'm older or I didn't pay enough attention or what, but I'm appreciating Kaidan a lot more.

His whole point with the Rachni Queen is "uh, I think this is a bit of a bigger decision than any one person should have" which is absolutely true. The Council might be dicks (well the Asari member seems okay) but just arbitrarily going "sure this species that nearly wiped out the galaxy can be un-extinct" with no other input is totally nuts.

GreatGreen posted:

If I play Adept in ME1, would it be better to go with an upgraded pistol or a not-upgraded assault rifle and spending the points elsewhere?

Other than the Thorian fight I've been able to use pistols everywhere just fine. They're even pretty good if you put points in, I can take out Geth Destroyers like they're no problem with Lift + a high-level pistol.

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 17, 2021

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Aphrodite posted:

They never address why the krogan is using his name.
"Armistan Banes" is a pretty rad name ngl.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

GreatGreen posted:

I just completed Insanity without any points in pistol. Used AR and Sniper most of the time. I'd recommend spending the points elsewhere. Having more upgraded powers was more useful

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

bobjr posted:

I've never played ME1 on Insanity before this, and overall it's not too bad as an Adept outside of a few types of situations.

1. Snipers, mostly because I see no tell when they actually fire or track you. I see the red beam, but when it fires or who it fires on just seems to be whenever, and it's a 1 hit kill.

2. Rachni, but really only in crowded spaces. Biotics can mess with some of them, but their attacks still go through shields, and it's a one hit kill for melee.

Doing my first playthrough as a Sentinel, Insanity as well because cheeevoooos and I have problems with basically all the melee enemies - husks, creepers, varren... The worst are probably the krogan vanguards who have a million hitpoints, charge at you and will not. stop. chasing. no matter what you do (but thankfully they tend to come one at a time so you can usually neuroshock/yeet them before they reach you). But yeah, a horde of bullet sponges that one hit kill is certainly a Thing.

Also, I'd forgotten how much I loving hated those geth jumpy things, and I could swear they made them even zoomier this time around.

And am I the only one who finds the sound balance completely out of whack ? Not sure if it's just this new rig that I may or may not have calibrated right ; but the music is sometimes quiet, sometimes deafening, most guns sound like someone if firing a 45 right next to my head yet voices are super soft except when they aren't. Very strange.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah, after trying out a few different classes on Eden Prime I just went gently caress it and rolled a soldier to hopefully steamroll the encounters a bit, I figure the inevitable second run will be better after unlocking a bunch of stuff on this playthrough.

This will also be probably the only time I let Fist live onto ME2, because I skipped getting Wrex until the very end of the Citadel this time (a thing I didn't even realize was possible until my fourth playthrough back in the day).

You can let Fist live after getting Wrex, you just have to keep Wrex out of your squad when you go to Chora's Den.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

But why would you

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

So you can mock him when he washes up on Omega, of course.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Wrex says straight up he’s gonna kill Fist. Shepard taking him to see Fist is just reinforcing the narrative that ME1 Shepard is a merely charismatic dumdum.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Bloody Pom posted:

So you can mock him when he washes up on Omega, of course.

it's hilarious, well worth doing it at least once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_w_DkKO9rI

just like nominating Udina to the council where he immediately gets a shot in at the turian councillor

Psion fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 17, 2021

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I don't give a turd about what your imaginary gamer strawman from ten years ago thought about which mass effect lady looked good or bad, and I'm glad my mind automatically deletes useless poo poo like that.

Mass Effect thread is a place to be friendly, dude

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

God, Mass Effect 2 is such a leap in quality from ME1. Going right into it from the first one just makes it incredible how much better everything is.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

God, Mass Effect 2 is such a leap in quality from ME1. Going right into it from the first one just makes it incredible how much better everything is.

This was my feeling as well. Not just the gameplay quality but the storytelling quality. The whole atmosphere of ME2 is fundamentally different, and for the better.

The Citadel is a great example of this. In 1, it's this giant, vacant, lifeless place that exists to show off next gen hardware. In ME2 it feels like a place where people actually live and do stuff.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
ME2 definitely feels like a huge step up coming right out of the ME1 remaster, cinematically if nothing else.

But then there's also no easily accessible inventory screen and the UI is somehow even less functional than in the first (in the remaster at least, I don't remember how the original was), and every time you pick up any random codex entry or incidentally earn a paragon or renegade point there's a popup taking up half the screen (and probably another 10 waiting to pop behind it), just in case you somehow missed that something happened in the game you were playing.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I'm playing as Male Shepard, ultimate Bad rear end and extreme space racist. And you can bet I'm getting that blue pussy.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Just finished Eden Prime and I totally forgot that Shepard only gets mind probed by the Prothean beacon because Kaidan is all "oooh look, mysterious alien artifact let me touch it". If Kaidan isn't such a dumbass then the whole universe would have been doomed!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

tanglewood1420 posted:

Just finished Eden Prime and I totally forgot that Shepard only gets mind probed by the Prothean beacon because Kaidan is all "oooh look, mysterious alien artifact let me touch it". If Kaidan isn't such a dumbass then the whole universe would have been doomed!

It flips between what gender Shepard is too. Kaidan triggers the beacon for FemShep, and Ashley triggers it for BroShep.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The only reason not to take Wrex to Fist is so you can kill Fist yourself.

:colbert:

loving hell, replacing Kelly's ME2 model with the ME3 one is the kind of consistency fixing delivered straight from the monkey's paw. Look how they've massacred my girl, etc. It was always the barely acknowledged problem with ME3, the way something went awry with the non-fixed human character models so everyone, custom Sheps included, looked worse than they did in ME2.

Heads up for anyone still pootling about on the Citadel doing the pre-Spectre quests: don't return to Rita in Flux before turning in the Jax quest back to Chellick. If you do, it kind of sets the quest as complete so you won't be able to talk to Chellick and get your P/R points for buying the mod/killing Jax.

MadDogMike posted:

I swear I made it during my playthrough with Feros as my second main planet, but no longer, even with 10 Charm (current max). Any way to edit Paragon/Renegade (or the raw Intimidate/Charm scores) yet? Also, does killing Jeong screw the colony if you do all the other nice things (spare the colonists and the asari, did all the subquests) or am I OK if I can't spare the idiot?

The only thing that screws the colony is killing all the colonists. No one gives a gently caress about Jeong, blow him away as a lesson to all corporate scumbags now and forever. ExoGeni and Cerberus types are what the renegade options are there for, never pussy foot around with those twerps. DON'T be a space racist or mean to your buds or punch journos, DO be a righteous fury against corporate shills, amoral scientists, egotistical warlords, dickhead mercs, crime bosses, slave traders, terrorists, etc. Get a coolass end screen instead of standing around looking gormless like you're on the starting line of a middle distance race.

DourCricket posted:

ME1 down, 100% completion! Barely level 29 and because I forgot to click ONE DIALOGUE OPTION AT THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME - I missed only 1 achievement.

Apparently it'll only take 30-45m to get it in ng+ but still... Why the hell is there only one chance to learn about Protheans.

Oh. poo poo. I didn't take it because hey, Shep's a woman of the world, she knows all about the goddamn Protheans and wasn't about to look like a rube in front of the cool Turian Spectre dude. Welp.

nine-gear crow posted:

It flips between what gender Shepard is too. Kaidan triggers the beacon for FemShep, and Ashley triggers it for BroShep.

Oh wow, never knew that. Never done a Broshep run but I can't really imagine Ashley being dumb enough to do that (like she's gonna give a gently caress about Prothean technology) whereas Kaidan I very much can.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Extortionist posted:

ME2 definitely feels like a huge step up coming right out of the ME1 remaster, cinematically if nothing else.

But then there's also no easily accessible inventory screen and the UI is somehow even less functional than in the first (in the remaster at least, I don't remember how the original was), and every time you pick up any random codex entry or incidentally earn a paragon or renegade point there's a popup taking up half the screen (and probably another 10 waiting to pop behind it), just in case you somehow missed that something happened in the game you were playing.

The devs were probably limited in how much they could change - at least the awful original ME1 HUD got swapped out for something a little nicer but the loot panel, inventory and other things are essentially the same.

Bioware was very aware of the criticisms when ME2 was made, and so they overcorrected - mostly by simplifying a bunch of features instead of truly fixing them.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Huh. That's a good change. The number of missions in ME1 you need to play with each of the companions for the achievement has been dropped from 45 to 5, making it a whole lot more practical. It's also worth doing with Wrex ASAP unless you're playing a soldier because regenerating health is huge.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I just noticed the faint trashcan/mark-as-junk icon next to items when you're in your equipment screen. Please tell me that wasn't always in ME1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

hard counter posted:

the way i remember it going down, blonde was voted most popular and everyone who wanted anything else raged, it was probably the first time on the internet when i'd read the argument that democracy doesn't work for situations like this because the unwashed masses will just pick the 'blonde bimbo' every time, even when there's strong reason to do otherwise like the default femmeshep being a redhead, and that you'll never see any variety without editorial fiat

I mean you can't really draw that conclusion from this, because of the hairstyles. The only red option there is a short military cut. The public's always going to vote for a white woman with a traditional cut, and yeah while I think blonde is usually more likely to win they actually did have a vote on color for Femshep and red won.

Sentinel Red posted:

loving hell, replacing Kelly's ME2 model with the ME3 one is the kind of consistency fixing delivered straight from the monkey's paw. Look how they've massacred my girl, etc. It was always the barely acknowledged problem with ME3, the way something went awry with the non-fixed human character models so everyone, custom Sheps included, looked worse than they did in ME2.

The only thing that changed was her hair. That 'new' hair is awful, but her face structure is the same. LE has altered the lighting though, she used to have a spotlight directly on her whenever you spoke to her and now it uses ambient lighting and the shadows really change how she looks.