Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

fridge corn posted:

What was the original post?

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1394170056343314433?s=19

after US IGN posted this, IGN Israel posted "we support the IDF obviously and we'll get that taken down"

The most recent post going up Sunday in the middle of the night clearly written by corpo-rats.

On the other hand IGN South Africa just reposted the US Palestine article so poo poo is still going on

https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/1394202250780753922?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Aand gone

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It must be crushing for the staff. So many of them seemed to be genuinely proud that their employer to a stance. Having to wake up to "we deeply apologise for the stance we mistakenly took" would've been gutting. I wouldn't be surprised to see resignations/sackings.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Yikes it's all so gross.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Maybe they're worried the Israelis would "accidentally" bomb the IGN office if kept the tweet up.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It feels a bit like some people are more upset about IGN deleting the articles than the actual massacres of Palestine citizens, though

Anyway, off to donate to Doctors Without Borders

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Plenty of disdain and horror to go around, tbh.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The IGN and Game Informer stuff is very clearly the corporate owners of the sites stepping in and going "No, gently caress off" which sucks

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey chat, just popping in to say thanks to whoever recced Stella Artois cider cause it’s definitely better than my default brand.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

”Lots of people” posted:

Streaming

Iunno. It just really sucks to put yourself out there and then realize that not only does no one really care, what you have isn’t very good at all. I will admit that I had hoped I’d at least get a little attention outside from a couple people in the friend group who wanted to know when I was streaming. But the more I think about it, the more I think I was right whenever I shook my head at all the people on YouTube and Twitch trying to Be Somebody.

I don’t really know why I’m streaming, to be quite honest. I guess part of it is curiosity, part of it is wanting to know how worthwhile I actually am. Beginning to think I’m trying to fill a hole that shouldn’t be filled with it.

I didn’t exactly spend much money I wasn’t going to - I was already in the market for a second monitor, so what’s a $50 microphone - so at least it’s not a financial hit for me.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

I guess part of it is curiosity, part of it is wanting to know how worthwhile I actually am.

Just want you to know that being a successful streamer has no bearing on whether or not you are worthwhile. :) You do not need that stuff at all.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

idk it probably doesn't mean anything if you can't get a following as a streamer, it feels like there's a big luck element

Like I'll have art streams on in the background sometimes where they're super good at drawing and are really nice people but have like 3 viewers watching because it's so hard to get noticed unless they're like chatting a lot with other art streamers/joining their discords etc

it seems like it'd be even harder to get noticed if you're just someone playing games

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
You have to burn yourself out and produce massive amounts of content to draw anyone in and that's assuming you can even get noticed in the first place. My brother is friends with someone who streams professionally and she does two 5 hour long streams five days a week and this is for an audience of a few thousand followers and a couple of hundred regular viewers. Sounds like a miserable way to play video games.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Every single streamer either popped off from something else or built up from literally nothing. That's about it. You are either known for something else, or you spend months if not years pounding away with practically no views until you grow. No other way it gets done. Don't care how big you are, you don't make a dent without a lot of time or something else blowing you up. Most of the big names do work with other big names, and most of them had an early period where they'd be lucky to have 2.5k subscribers after a solid year of doing it. And these are the people with natural charisma who took to the format well. They still don't just pop off big.

To get to the point where it's a viable life path? Could easily take years.

It's possibly one of the most brutalizing professions I could think of. It's selling your self, who you are, with no support structure and long rear end hours. God bless anyone that can do it, I sure as hell couldn't.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

theres a reason so many vtubers are willing to give up revenue to join agencies, getting out there is the hardest part. watching good indies that pull a couple hundred viewers a stream graduate to an agency that can just hand them a couple ten thousand out of the gate for their debut is a big deal

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

VideoGames posted:

Just want you to know that being a successful streamer has no bearing on whether or not you are worthwhile. :)

for example, I was once a mildly successful streamer and *gestures broadly at self*

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I will never stream with a camera. I have a face for radio.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
that's right i'm howard stern

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I still can’t believe there’s a major video game console called “the play station”

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

that's right i'm howard stern

oh poo poo whattup my dad loved listening to you in the 90s

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Harrow posted:

oh poo poo whattup my dad loved listening to you in the 90s

Dads in the 90s loved Howard Stern so much

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mulva posted:

Every single streamer either popped off from something else or built up from literally nothing. That's about it. You are either known for something else, or you spend months if not years pounding away with practically no views until you grow. No other way it gets done. Don't care how big you are, you don't make a dent without a lot of time or something else blowing you up. Most of the big names do work with other big names, and most of them had an early period where they'd be lucky to have 2.5k subscribers after a solid year of doing it. And these are the people with natural charisma who took to the format well. They still don't just pop off big.

To get to the point where it's a viable life path? Could easily take years.

It's possibly one of the most brutalizing professions I could think of. It's selling your self, who you are, with no support structure and long rear end hours. God bless anyone that can do it, I sure as hell couldn't.

Yeah, I just...hate the idea of streaming for the purposes of "putting yourself out there" and seeing if the primordial soup of the internet gives a gently caress about you. Cause it seriously doesn't.

I played this game already in middle school, I ain't playing it again. This might be one of the most loathsome things I've had to think about. gently caress "popping off big", it's demeaning and depressing. I'm perfectly happy as a consumer.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
As soon as streaming stops being fun and becomes hard work, I will stop doing it.
I already have a job that is not fun, I do not want to lose video games to work as well :)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh man, you know what we need? An extension that hides viewer/sub/follower numbers from Twitch. Helps cleanse the loving mind.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

What is it that you're trying to get out of streaming?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is no both sides are the victims to this conflict. Condemning what Israel is doing, and being publicly opposed to their government and U.S. funded military is the only correct response. Being wishy washy about this, is supporting genocide.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

A lifetime discount to Delice de France.

I can always hope...

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

If I stream enough my understanding is someone will turn me into an anime girl.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Oh man, you know what we need? An extension that hides viewer/sub/follower numbers from Twitch. Helps cleanse the loving mind.
i guarantee that exists

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

^^ to google

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

To be found interesting enough to care about and follow.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

If I stream enough my understanding is someone will turn me into an anime girl.

Being an anime girl at heart is what is most important.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I do wonder sometimes when people hate the viewer interaction, hate the chat, hate the donations, what are you even enjoying at that point that isn't provided by youtube

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Being an anime girl at heart is what is most important.

I just want to be an anime boy. No not the protagonist, the friend who is basically his hype man and reacts to everything that happens with a level of vocalized amazement and wonder of that of God coming down from on high.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

i think looking for that in streaming is just a good way to make yourself miserable

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Barudak posted:

I just want to be an anime boy. No not the protagonist, the friend who is basically his hype man and reacts to everything that happens with a level of vocalized amazement and wonder of that of God coming down from on high.

I fully support this. Being an anime boy also comes from the heart. :)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

homeless snail posted:

i think looking for that in streaming is just a good way to make yourself miserable

Yeah, I'm beginning to think that.

My MO is to minimize suffering and maximize happiness. Streaming is not gonna get me anywhere in that department, so to hell with it, honestly. Somebody else can run that treadmill.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

^^ to google

I would not like to come off like I'm being mean about this, but attempting to be a performer on Twitch is not going to fill this need for you. you should find a dedicated goon group to play games with regularly, like maybe PlanetSide 2. it seems like there's new and fun stuff happening with that recently, I've been thinking about jumping into it myself

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Man Planetside 2, I could go some of that

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Man Planetside 2, I could go some of that

I haven't found time to coordinate with the goon group that still plays it, but I play for a few hours every half a year or so and have a lot of fun reliving my PS1 glory days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I would not like to come off like I'm being mean about this, but attempting to be a performer on Twitch is not going to fill this need for you. you should find a dedicated goon group to play games with regularly, like maybe PlanetSide 2. it seems like there's new and fun stuff happening with that recently, I've been thinking about jumping into it myself

Yeah, I'm part of an LGBT group that comprised the two viewers I had last night. :v: Plus we do Discord calls sometime where one of us plays a game and we all hang out and watch. That is very fun, because I'm not lonely when it happens.

And honestly, I liked streaming itself - having people commentate and interact with me while I game is a bit stressful and is gonna take getting used to, but it's far nicer than being alone.

I think the problem I have is with the algorithm treadmill and the supersaturated market. It's just...bloated. Too many people. You need to hit the right sweet spot.