Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
If a person was affected by Modify Memory, would Zone of Truth make them speak from the unmodified original memory, or the memory that was implanted in them? I suspect the latter, right, going by the rules?

But in that case, a truly rigorous, Lawful court system would also probably cast Remove Curse or Greater Restoration on someone before ZoT.

I find this sort of thing fascinating. A society where magical means to enact truth and justice are baked in would end up functioning very differently and...let's be honest...probably much better in many ways than our lovely real world systems.

But it also might depend on the condition and nature of that society. A corrupt empire might use magic meticulously to make sure its laws are followed, but its laws might be less "Don't hurt other people" and more "How dare you dissent against your betters, peasant?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

BrianWilly posted:

If a person was affected by Modify Memory, would Zone of Truth make them speak from the unmodified original memory, or the memory that was implanted in them? I suspect the latter, right, going by the rules?

But in that case, a truly rigorous, Lawful court system would also probably cast Remove Curse or Greater Restoration on someone before ZoT.

I find this sort of thing fascinating. A society where magical means to enact truth and justice are baked in would end up functioning very differently and...let's be honest...probably much better in many ways than our lovely real world systems.

But it also might depend on the condition and nature of that society. A corrupt empire might use magic meticulously to make sure its laws are followed, but its laws might be less "Don't hurt other people" and more "How dare you dissent against your betters, peasant?"

Zone of truth prevents deliberate lies; truth and facts are not the same thing. You can be wrong in a zone of truth so long as you believe every word you say, which a false memory would 100% be.

Don’t overthink this. Zone of truth is about intent, not underlying fact.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

feedtheid posted:

This is a ‘show by doing’ moment, esp for zone of truth. Let them walk their butts into the zone and attempt a lie, especially after they’ve failed a save. They should feel themselves being compelled to speak truth, even when they succeed the save.

But since they don't have a player's handbook to look up the spell, how do they verify that's how the spell works? Let's homebrew a spell:

quote:

Zone Of Compelled Speech
3rd level enchantment
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V S
Duration: 10 minutes
Classes: Bard, Cleric, Paladin
You create a magical zone that compels speech in a 15-foot-radius sphere centered on a point of your choice within range. Until the spell ends, a creature that enters the spell’s area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there must make a Charisma saving throw. On a failed save, a creature can only speak in the manner you decide while in the radius. You know whether each creature succeeds or fails on its saving throw. When you cast the spell, choose between the following three effects:
Truth. On a failed save, a creature can’t speak a deliberate lie while in the radius.
Lies. On a failed save, a creature can't speak a deliberate truth while in the radius.
Recitation. On a failed save, a creature who attempts to speak is compelled to recite a statement of no more than 25 words, which you determine when you activate this effect.
An affected creature is aware of the spell and can thus avoid answering questions to which it would not wish to respond to in the manner dictated by the spell's effect. While subject to the Truth or Lies effects, such a creature can be evasive in its answers as long as it remains within the boundaries of the effect.
As a bonus action, you can change the effect of the zone.
At higher levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, for each spell level above 3rd, you may designate one creature affected by a different effect than the starting effect. If you change the effect, all creatures in the radius are still affected.

The caster of the spell really needs to be someone trusted by the court, enough that it will be taken on faith that they are telling the truth when they say they cast Zone of Truth, but if I were a villainous noble/king/priest, a blind faith in the reliability of Zone of Truth would be an excellent weak point for corruptive influence, which a spell like the above has the opportunity to poo poo all over. This does sound like quite an interesting scenario hook though, PCs accused of a crime, secretly villainous cleric offers to cast Zone of Truth in front of the authorities to exonerate them, and when the PCs voluntarily fail the save, discover that the only thing they can say is "Yes, we did it, and we're planning to kill the King next".

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I think you're on to something...

quote:

Compelled Speech
5th level enchantment
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 15 feet (self)
Components: V
Duration: 1-15 minutes
Classes: Any

You speak a string of words that compels the target to respond to it. Until the spell ends, the target must choose to make a response. You know whether the target creature has chosen to respond. The length and contents of the response is determined by the affected creature. An affected creature is aware of the spell and can thus avoid answering questions to which it would not wish to respond to. Such a creature can be evasive in its answers.

At higher levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 6th level or higher, for each spell level above 6th, you may designate one creature that will be compelled to respond.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
:hmmyes:
Cone of Lies? Hell yes, I love reversible spells all spells should be reversible

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My artistic friend drew the whole party this time. Its supposed to be a Guardians of the Galaxy type arrest lineup, as we are "murder hobos". Try and guess everyones race :v:

sponszi
Dec 15, 2013
Oh man maybe its a sign that I spend too much time on Heroforge that I immediately recognized all those armor pieces

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
lol yeah we all used heroforge to make our character portraits. maybe i will give them money one day

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

My players are about to finish Lost Mine of Phandelver. We ended the last session right as they were about to burst in on King Grol/Drow woman/Gundren in Cragmaw Castle so now it's all coming to an end where they run off to Wave Echo Cave and bask in victory.

BUT!

Recently, I put out a survey to find out who would want to continue playing another adventure and what feedback they had for me so far on this one. One critique stated that they wished there was more to some interactions than just GO HERE AND BONK W/ SWORD. Fair enough. They want more roleplay opportunities and I'm happy to provide that. I want to give the end of LMOP a twist to show them I'm taking their feedback seriously and I've brainstormed a few ideas. Please look these over and let me know what sounds the best or provide your own:

1) GUNDREN IS ACTUALLY STEALING THE MINE FROM NEZZNAR:
The Rockseekers were actually part of Nezznar's original survey team that helped discover/excavate the lost mine. Knowing the value of what they had discovered, the Rockseekers put together a plan to steal the mine from Nezznar. Gundren went to Neverwinter, rounded up a crew of hearty adventurers and sold them a sob story about his great discovery and the evil "Black Spider" taking it away from him. The only problem is things have spun out of his control. He has been captured by Goblins and beaten while his brothers Tharden and Nundro are still in the cave and prisoners of Nezznar. The players must roleplay a solution that gets the Rockseekers out alive and allows Nezznar some sort of consolation for being the true discoverer of the mine.

2) GUNDREN IS DYING OF DROW POISON:
While a captive of King Grol and Vyerith in Cragmaw Castle, Gundren was fed a slow acting Drow assassin's poison that has been slowly killing the dwarf. Grol and Vye are w/o the antidote and are freaking out that their captive is dying (Nezznar wants him alive... for reasons). The players must team up with Grol and Vye to get Gundren to Wave Echo Cave where Nezznar will have a dose of the poison's antidote. The players may have to negotiate a shared ownership of the mine in order to save Gundren's life.

3) GUNDREN IS NEZZNAR:
The players bust in on Grol and Vye, kill them and revive Gundren. "Gundren" is distraught over recent events and admits that he is not actually Gundren. He is Tharden, Gundren's twin brother. He explains that when the Rockseekers discovered and explored the mine in Wave Echo Cave, they activated some sort of mechanism that awoke the long dead spirit of some entity calling itself "Nezznar". The spirit possessed Gundren who immediately began attacking his brothers and in the process gruesomely killed Nundro Rockseeker before running off into the dark corridors of WEC. Tharden went to Neverwinter to round up adventurers seeking gold but really needed them in order to defeat whatever had taken a hold of his brother. Fearing no one would sign up for such a dangerous mission, he kept the worst parts of the story to himself. The players must go and reason with the possessed Gundren, hopefully w/o killing him and reunite the remaining Rockseekers.

4) GUNDREN PLANS TO TRADE THE ADVENTURERS FOR HIS BROTHERS' LIVES:
The Rockseekers had a rough time in WEC. They were captured by the Drow led by Nezznar and used as subjects in the experiments the Drow tried on various mechanisms within the cave. It was awful. Gundren managed to escape and immediately went to Neverwinter to find idiotic lvl 1's that would blindly follow him to the mine where he would hopefully be able to trade his brothers' lives for those of the adventurers. The players must now rethink their allegiances and determine what should happen to each of the parties and the riches within the mine.

5) WAVE ECHO CAVE IS IN THE SHADOWFELL:
It doesn't matter that Nezznar has invaded the mine, because he can't get out even if he wanted to, for the Drow Wizard has no way back to the material plane. The only problem is Tharden and Nundro are his captives. The mine has remained hidden for so long because it no longer exists on the Material Plane. The players must go to the mountains, perform some sort of ritual/transport to the Shadowfell where they will be facing the entrance to Wave Echo Cave. There the players must find a way to negotiate a peace and be able to return alive back to the Material Plane.

What do you all think?

Total Party Kill fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 16, 2021

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I like option one the best, the "are we the baddies?" moment is always a good time and will give an interesting RP opportunity. Only issue is if it seems like it comes out of left field due to previous events.

I don't like the Gundren is Nezznar because that seems too much like glass staff . Poison doesn't seem like what they want since it just becomes go here and hit with a sword until it gives you the antidote type thing

Tbh, Nezznar kinda came out of nowhere. The real ending to our group felt like it came when we found the cave. Idk if in the book you have more interactions with him before that point but I would recommend it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Semi-related to the above: Our Lost Mines game is nearly complete (we're also at the castle and about to bust into the throne room), and our DM wants to roll into Storm King's Thunder after this. I was thinking of retiring my bard and switching to a Dhampir ranger, either hunter or gloomstalker, with a "monster hunter" feel. Is there any viable way to build around crossbows? Taking the crossbow expert feat seems like a requirement but I'm worried it would put me behind stat-wise.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

change my name posted:

Semi-related to the above: Our Lost Mines game is nearly complete (we're also at the castle and about to bust into the throne room), and our DM wants to roll into Storm King's Thunder after this. I was thinking of retiring my bard and switching to a Dhampir ranger, either hunter or gloomstalker, with a "monster hunter" feel. Is there any viable way to build around crossbows? Taking the crossbow expert feat seems like a requirement but I'm worried it would put me behind stat-wise.

Crossbow fighter is excellent and so is Sharpshooter. If you wanted to have absolutely no fun with the game and build for the highest consistent DPS, you'd probably aim for a Battlemaster with the Sharpshooter/Crossbow Expert combo, which is to say that feat combination is very, very good. Playing as a Vuman or using the custom lineage option from TCE gets you a free feat, which speeds up the build by a lot, letting you get both by level 4.

The plan is pretty straightforward, just use a hand crossbow to Attack every turn and spend your bonus action to get an extra shot, all the while using Sharpshooter to skyrocket your damage. The main consideration is that you ideally want to shoot with your bonus action every turn, so class features that compete for bonus actions get devalued. I'm not an expert on Ranger's new toys, but I remember the class being fairly bonus action-intensive when it came to spells and class features, while Battlemaster Fighter is not.

Anyways, taking Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter on a class with Archery fighting style and Extra Attack is basically 80% of 5e's extremely shallow charop, so you absolutely will not be set back, and can really just go with the class/subclass that sounds the most fun and interesting.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I'm probably late to the party on this but isn't it bullshit that grenade weapons are improvised weapons? Holy water and acid cost 25 gold each and they are probably going to miss. I mean throwing something is basic caveman tactics.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Proficient Scoundrel posted:

1) GUNDREN IS ACTUALLY STEALING THE MINE FROM NEZZNAR:
The Rockseekers were actually part of Nezznar's original survey team that helped discover/excavate the lost mine. Knowing the value of what they had discovered, the Rockseekers put together a plan to steal the mine from Nezznar. Gundren went to Neverwinter, rounded up a crew of hearty adventurers and sold them a sob story about his great discovery and the evil "Black Spider" taking it away from him. The only problem is things have spun out of his control. He has been captured by Goblins and beaten while his brothers Tharden and Nundro are still in the cave and prisoners of Nezznar. The players must roleplay a solution that gets the Rockseekers out alive and allows Nezznar some sort of consolation for being the true discoverer of the mine.

If you do this (and it would get my vote since I think it's a cool idea!), I'd suggest that what makes most sense here to explain Tharden and Nundro's predicament is that the Rockbreakers hatched a plan that originally didn't involve the PCs, and it went disasterously wrong, leading Gundren to flee and hire the PCs as Plan B. You definitely want there to be hints that let the party piece together some of what's going on. I think you want essentially 3 revelations:
1) Nezznar and Gundren were on a survey team together and discovered the mine.
2) Gundren was not the leader of the Survey Team.
3) The Survey team ended up fighting over who would own the mine.

Sprinkle several clues for each of these throughout the adventure. Maybe the staffer at the Coster mentions that the survey team was a joint venture , with a few humans [the dopplegangers], a dark elf, and three dwarves. Maybe the Redbrands only moved into the mansion recently, and the town can mention that the mansion was used as a staging post for the expedition, and that gives you good excuse to put some clues in there, like an unlabelled journal of the expedition's preparations that sound like they're written by the team's leader, but mention Gundren by name. Gundren should have lies handy for each one (Different dark elf, The expedition leader died and I was put in charge, etc. etc.) and stick to them for as long as possible, but if confronted with enough evidence, break down and admit the truth, just begging the PCs to still help him save his brothers.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Lammasu posted:

I'm probably late to the party on this but isn't it bullshit that grenade weapons are improvised weapons? Holy water and acid cost 25 gold each and they are probably going to miss. I mean throwing something is basic caveman tactics.

Yeah, it's pretty dumb. For how expensive they are, they give really marginal utility. I'm guessing they didn't want to make the items so good that everyone would always buy as much as possible every time they were in town, but there's got to be a better way to handle that.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, it's pretty dumb. For how expensive they are, they give really marginal utility. I'm guessing they didn't want to make the items so good that everyone would always buy as much as possible every time they were in town, but there's got to be a better way to handle that.

Just make them simple weapons. You're supposed to stock up on holy water when you go after undead.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Glagha posted:

If someone already said this and I missed it, whoops, but on the zone of truth issue and other sorts of magically compelling people to do stuff issues, there's no reason anyone has to take you at your word that the spell does what you say it does. Magic is a lot messier in lore than it is to players so there's no reason a court for example would necessarily believe you when you say "I am casting a spell that forces someone to tell the truth." They don't have a phb with the spell list in it, and outside of maybe having a powerful enough spellcaster around who is trusted to corroborate that your magic is doing what you claim it does for all they know your spell forces someone to say what you want them to say, or who knows what wizards are weird. You could just as well pull a string out of your pocket and tie it around the person's wrist and say "this is the lasso of truth they can't lie now" for how convincing it is. The players know how the magic works which can help them but if they actually have to convince someone else of the truth as well it's harder.

Edit: Same applies for divine casters too. Not all priests are capital C Clerics who can cast spells and there's no reason anyone necessarily has to take you at your word when you wave your arms and say "Pelor says he's telling the truth".

The counterpoint to this is that someone under a zone of truth just knows that they can't lie. They don't know that, for example, the party Rogue made their saving throw and *can* lie.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I need quick ruling, in TCe one of the new fighting styles is Unarmed Fighting which states.

"At the start of each of your turns, you can deal 1d4 bludgeoning damage to one creature grappled by you."

I would normally interpret this to mean I do 1d4 damage on my turn and my turn only, but it says, "turns," implying more than one. Does this mean I apply 1d4 damage to the grappled enemy on the end of their turn as well?

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
That isn't one of your turns, so no.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I would concur with that ruling.

The wording reads to me as specifying it is an ongoing effect that occurs every time your turn comes up, not a "on your turn this happens and then doesn't happen again unless you degrapple and then regrapple your opponent".

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
It likely says turns in the plural because a combat can last multiple rounds. Though if you have some way to have multiple turns in a round (like Samurai Fighter's Strength Before Death), you could get the 1d4 bludgeoning twice in a single round.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Back Hack posted:

I need quick ruling, in TCe one of the new fighting styles is Unarmed Fighting which states.

"At the start of each of your turns, you can deal 1d4 bludgeoning damage to one creature grappled by you."

I would normally interpret this to mean I do 1d4 damage on my turn and my turn only, but it says, "turns," implying more than one. Does this mean I apply 1d4 damage to the grappled enemy on the end of their turn as well?

It means every time your turn comes up? As long as you are maintaining the grapple, you get some free damage for continuing to do so.

The magic word here is “your turns”

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

every time it's your turn and you are grappling an enemy you automatically make them taste the pain in addition to whatever else you're doing

which is likely making them taste even more pain via an attack

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
.... skids into thread...

YOUR TURNSSSSSSS

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Back Hack posted:

You only do it on the start of your turn. Not their turn. Not any other time. The reason for the S in turns is because you get more than one turn in a game, otherwise it would be a pretty boring and short game.

Campaign Begins
DM: Everyone take your turn in initiative order.
Every player takes one turn.
DM: Okay, we’re done.
Campaign Ends

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

nelson posted:

You only do it on the start of your turn. Not their turn. Not any other time. The reason for the S in turns is because you get more than one turn in a game, otherwise it would be a pretty boring and short game.

Campaign Begins
Campaign Ends

at least i'd loving finish one for a change

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

nelson posted:

Campaign Begins
Campaign Ends

Look
If you had
One shot
Or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
In one moment
Would you capture it
Or just let it slip?

Real talk what type of Bard is Eminem?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Kaal posted:

Look
If you had
One shot
Or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
In one moment
Would you capture it
Or just let it slip?

a bad one. as a juggalo i hate eminem

Deviant posted:

at least i'd loving finish one for a change

i think smaller campaigns are better anyway but there is a strange appeal in 100 session long mega campaigns. you have to do a lot as a dm to keep these things interesting and the scope in check whereas smaller campaigns are way more manageable

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

last year I ran a 5 month campaign with a very clear start and ending and it felt so satisfying to finish something, and give the characters their (not so) happily ever afters.

now I'm running a campaign I expect will take them to 10th level from starting at 1, and they just got to level 4. I expect it will take the rest of the year to finish at minimum, if not a bit beyond.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mr. Lobe posted:

last year I ran a 5 month campaign with a very clear start and ending and it felt so satisfying to finish something, and give the characters their (not so) happily ever afters.

now I'm running a campaign I expect will take them to 10th level from starting at 1, and they just got to level 4. I expect it will take the rest of the year to finish at minimum, if not a bit beyond.

Knock on wood I've finished like the last three of our campaigns I've run, all of them big year long epics, and for me personally it was all about just disciplining myself to continue to run them long after the shine wore off. Like I'm consistently running these games long after I'm kind of vaguely disappointed in them and thinking of something else.

That's no cure for real life priorities like kids, but whacha gonna do, sometimes things like that just take priority.

Ironically, it's the party that always wants the full lv 1 to lv20, I think D&D (and most any rpg, we also did 40kRPG), just falls apart in the back third. I'd love to run a game that intentionally stopped short.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Kaal posted:

School of Appropriation?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I wish there were more modules that started at higher levels.

Currently running Tales from the Yawning Portal and the party is going through Lost City of Tamoachan, and I'm not really feeling the later modules and looking for an offramp into something that has a little less of the adversarial DM trying to TPK the party while the players spite the DM by continuing to live. The current plan is to run White Plume Mountain, because that looks fun, then try to find something else for them when they're level 7 or 8.

I'm not at a place where I have a lot of time to upscale encounters, let alone write my own campaign so I'm looking for something that'll let my players keep their characters going without giving me an aneurysm.

I've heard that Rise of Tiamat can be run without running Hoard of the Dragon Queen first. Does anyone have experience doing this, or have alternate suggestions for a module that I can run with a group of level 7 to 8 characters?

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

I believe Storm Lord's Wrath (NOT STORM KING'S FURY) on DNDBeyond starts @ level 7 and its sequels will take your PCs to level 13.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Azathoth posted:

Currently running Tales from the Yawning Portal and the party is going through Lost City of Tamoachan, and I'm not really feeling the later modules and looking for an offramp into something that has a little less of the adversarial DM trying to TPK the party while the players spite the DM by continuing to live. The current plan is to run White Plume Mountain, because that looks fun, then try to find something else for them when they're level 7 or 8.

I'm not at a place where I have a lot of time to upscale encounters, let alone write my own campaign so I'm looking for something that'll let my players keep their characters going without giving me an aneurysm.

I've heard that Rise of Tiamat can be run without running Hoard of the Dragon Queen first. Does anyone have experience doing this, or have alternate suggestions for a module that I can run with a group of level 7 to 8 characters?

In theory, DMsGuild should be absolutely packed with this stuff.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Proficient Scoundrel posted:

I believe Storm Lord's Wrath (NOT STORM KING'S FURY) on DNDBeyond starts @ level 7 and its sequels will take your PCs to level 13.

Oh this looks just delightful

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Azathoth posted:

Bryce has reviewed a whackload of 5e adventures over the years: https://tenfootpole.org/ironspike/?cat=25

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

There's a new book coming out that will have a lot of new stuff and also help fund youth cancer research.
Link to video explaining: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doQpKQ0xCVU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Got the Ravenloft book and I love it. But why doesn't it list the monsters alignment.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
They're all Hella Evil, I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lammasu posted:

Got the Ravenloft book and I love it. But why doesn't it list the monsters alignment.

It's because you can make them whatever you want. Maybe that carrionette is evil, but maybe you run into a little killer doll who's actually possessed by a kid ghost and just wants to play, not really hurt people. Or whatever. It's WoTC moving towards a "let the DM decide who is good or evil" system rather than imposing racial alignments.