Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Literally doesn't say what you claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Samson Option isn't controversial, it's just saying the quiet part out loud (that nuclear weapons are defensive deterrences against actions which existentially threaten a state).

Saying this as someone who isn't exactly positive towards Israel, there's far worse things about Israel to criticize.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
It's not clear to me where the line falls between using nuclear weapons on the nation(s) attacking Israel vs. randomly nuking places out of spite. The part about targeting Europe comes from a military historian, not someone in the Israeli military. Quotes from a poet and a journalist aren't particularly convincing either.

Neurolimal posted:

Samson Option isn't controversial, it's just saying the quiet part out loud (that nuclear weapons are defensive deterrences against actions which existentially threaten a state).

Saying this as someone who isn't exactly positive towards Israel, there's far worse things about Israel to criticize.
I agree that the Samson Option isn't controversial, I'm questioning this part specifically:

Flannelette posted:

Israel's past doctrine is if the US stops protecting them and their military falls to invasion they will launch submarine nuclear missiles at the US/Europe/Mid East's etc cities to take them down with them. That was some time ago I haven't seen any more recent stances on it but there is nothing the US can do to stop them from doing this if they actually intend to so it's safer to just help them + any government that doesn't support Israel will have a hard time being elected either way.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 17, 2021

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

PittTheElder posted:

Nah Israel has normalized it's relations with its neighbors for long enough, that would probably rely on political change in neighboring states as well.

Even if all the Arab states still had a hard on for destroying Israel, historically only a coalition of Syria, Egypt, and Jordan has been able to really threaten Israel with military defeat. Israel is stronger now than its ever been, meanwhile Syria is mid civil war, the Egyptian regime has been bought off with a firehose of American money, and Jordan isn't anywhere near strong enough to go it alone.

The Syrian Civil War is essentially over. Assad won largely due to help from Putin. Granted, it's an extremely weak victory.

The only thing he has to show for it is that he's been able to maintain power at the cost of destroying his own cities and destroying his own economy. He's the king of a pile of rubble. The Countryside will won't ever be safe and controlled by bandits, ISIS and whatever remaining rebel groups exist.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Why does a term like this even need to exist specific to Israel? Mutually-assured destruction, like that described here, applies to all nuclear armed countries.

And lmfao at the dude that thinks Israeli doctrine included an outcome that involved nuking the US.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Elysiume posted:

I agree that the Samson Option isn't controversial, I'm questioning this part specifically:

They're launching them at the cities of the invaders obviously. The point is they seem to openly say they might use nuclear weapons as a response to a conventional invasion like NK does which is effectively saying you are holding the whole world hostage to prevent such an invasion happening or succeeding.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
The threat to the US and Europe was the assumption that even a limited nuclear exchange had a strong chance of being misinterpreted as an attack by either the US or Soviet Union and triggering their nuclear response.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah having plans like "we will blow up Washington DC if Syria and Egypt beat us in a war" seems like plans that a) the CIA will 100% find out about even if they keep it under wraps b) will make all your potential friends think twice about backing you in peace time.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Flannelette posted:

They're launching them at the cities of the invaders obviously. The point is they seem to openly say they might use nuclear weapons as a response to a conventional invasion like NK does which is effectively saying you are holding the whole world hostage to prevent such an invasion happening or succeeding.

I mean, this is the insinuation of any nuclear armed state. It's why the world has a vested interest in India & Pakistan tensions, and why the US flipped its poo poo at Cuba having missiles stationed despite the fact that Russia could nuke the US from their country. It's why the countries most guilty of foreign intervention are also the greatest advocates of nuclear disarmament.

If your state is being existentially threatened, it's in your best interest to make that everyone's problem.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Even if it was purely a regional conflict, the deployment of Nuclear Weapons would be absolutely catastrophic. Even if a few of them went of it'd likely cause a mini-nuclear winter.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah Israel has never formally had a doctrine worse than MAD. The 'rabid dog' doctrine was just the personal preference of a couple particularly bloodthirsty generals who were only speaking for themselves. If it were official policy we'd know, like how we know Israel has nukes even though they are the only nuclear power to have never signed the non-proliferation treaty or disclosed their armament.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 17, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

droll posted:

A typical reply I would expect from the DSA.

Statement from DSA:
https://www.dsausa.org/statements/dsa-stands-with-palestinians-from-sheikh-jarrah-to-gaza-and-beyond/

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

hobbez posted:

Why does a term like this even need to exist specific to Israel? Mutually-assured destruction, like that described here, applies to all nuclear armed countries.

That article says as recently as 2008 talking openly about their nuclear weapons could lead to arrest, so maybe it's just a cheeky way to refer to them?

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Putting this down in text,

1. China
2. France
3. Russia
4. United Kingdom
5. United States

Thinking about this out loud - I could see the UK and France pushing back against Israeli. Maybe just maybe this will happen with US but I have a difficult time with seeing China and Russia getting on board.

Infidelicious posted:

All they have to do is NOT veto resolutions, IE: 'pushing back' by literally doing nothing.

The US seat on the UNSC completely shields Israel from any kind of organized international response in a way that China and Russia aren't interested in replicating.

PittTheElder posted:

Russia doesn't really give a poo poo either way as far as I can tell? I'm not sure they have any real vested interest there but I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong.

China on the other hand is the other potential sticking point, don't their arms industries have a lot of ties?

But yeah the US is the biggest impediment to real action by far.

Beijing uses chairing role at UN Security Council to press for immediate ceasefire and resumption of dialogue on two-state solution
Foreign Minister Wang Yi also urges the US to stop obstructing the council’s role in taking action on the conflict

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/dip...pgtype=homepage

Maybe Wang Yi is a goon!

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah Israel has never formally had a doctrine worse than MAD.

The US and the CCCP never said the quiet part out loud though, they always said we won't fire nukes until they did first. The Israel, NK, I guess India/Pakistan blackmail tactic of "gee I hope no one invades helpless little us and we have to let off a nuke and start a chain reaction that destroys the world" is not the same as MAD.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Flannelette posted:

The US and the CCCP never said the quiet part out loud though, they always said we won't fire nukes until they did first. The Israel, NK, I guess India/Pakistan blackmail tactic of "gee I hope no one invades helpless little us and we have to let off a nuke and start a chain reaction that destroys the world" is not the same as MAD.

That's not true. 'No first use' is the policy of China and India. The USSR made a no first use pledge in 1982 (nobody believes they were sincere) which Russia rescinded. NATO explicitly rejects no first use.

e: pretty much everyone talks in terms of 'minimum credible deterrence', but there's an awful lot of wiggle room on how you define 'minimum', 'credible', and what you are trying to deter.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 17, 2021

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Thanks for info

What I'm trying to say (poorly) is I think there is a difference between saying to a threat "you better not invade me because I have nukes" (MAD) and saying to everyone "you better protect me from invasion because I have nukes".

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Flannelette posted:

Fair point. Israel does not have a no first strike policy, which is worse than MAD, but not quite the 'rabid dog' doctrine. That's my mistake.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

punishedkissinger posted:

Tensions were high due to looming evictions in East Jeruselam and then the Israeli police stormed Al-Aqsa during ramadan, injuring around 300 people with rubber bullets and stun grenades. The reasons for this have not really been explained but it was likely to intentionally stir up conflict for the Bibi to hold his poo poo together. This pissed off palestinians and rockets were launched from Gaza in retaliation and then Israel started levelling apartment complexes with 500kg bombs.

Btw the modern conflict really only dates back to the breakup of the Ottoman empire and the partition by the British. Before that there were Jews in Palestine who were free from persecution and seemed to get along fine with the arabs there.

Thanks for the summary. And yeah that's the best modern explanation I found as well, although it was hard to figure out because some sources really like to dredge up old history to back up their arguments.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Even if it was purely a regional conflict, the deployment of Nuclear Weapons would be absolutely catastrophic. Even if a few of them went of it'd likely cause a mini-nuclear winter.

Why would that cause a nuclear winter?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

looks like some Ultra-Orthodox settlers got themselves killed by overpacking some bleachers that were still being constructed during a ceremony

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/16/9973...KD0fk6TX6OETEUE

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...?outputType=amp

The Biden administration has approved the sale of $735 million in precision-guided weapons to Israel, raising red flags for some House Democrats who are part of the shifting debate over the U.S. government’s support for the Israeli government of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1394260581201371146?s=20

Tony Blinks is a classic foreign policy scumbag, so it seems somehow notable that he's rebuking an Israel narrative

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Neurolimal posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1394260581201371146?s=20

Tony Blinks is a classic foreign policy scumbag, so it seems somehow notable that he's rebuking an Israel narrative

This is funny because the Jerusalem Post was writing yesterday about how the IDF showed Biden their secret evidence and he was completely convinced.

https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/israel-showed-us-smoking-gun-on-hamas-in-ap-office-tower-officials-say-668303

quote:

“We showed them the smoking gun proving Hamas worked out of that building,” a senior diplomatic source said. “I understand they found the explanation satisfactory.”

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 17, 2021

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah having plans like "we will blow up Washington DC if Syria and Egypt beat us in a war" seems like plans that a) the CIA will 100% find out about even if they keep it under wraps b) will make all your potential friends think twice about backing you in peace time.

I have no idea why you'd think this.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Madkal posted:

I have mentioned it before but it is interesting talking to people of an older generation and today's generation about being Jewish and the relationship with Israel. I have heard that without Israel all Jews all over the world be vulnerable to another Holocaust with no where to go; people want Israel to go away because they want all the Jews dead; Israel will always be villainized regardless of what they do so they should just do what they want anyway (heard that one on the weekend); people around the world are just unhappy that Hamas aren't killing more Jews with their missiles (also heard that one on the weekend) etc.
I know people will always talk about Israel being an ethnostate (who hate Jews apparently) but I have also heard that if Israel wasn't a Jewish state then Jews worldwide would have to face expulsion, pogroms and anti-Semitism.
It's a lot easier to dismiss or accept certain points as an outsider I guess. It's a lot harder if you are told to accept something and see things that make you question it.

That's classic nationalist rhetoric, deployed by various revanchist entities throughout the 20th century. Declaring the need for a dedicated state for _insert ethnicity here_ for all members of that ethnicity to flee to in order to escape oppression is a typical move, and once they get this state it's often not long before they start oppressing the new minorities in their territory and engaging in aggressive foreign policy against neighbors, using the need to "protect" _insert ethnicity here_ as their excuse as they establish an _ethnicity_ supremacist state with ambitions to expand their territory in pursuit of some Greater _nation_ justified by extremely tenuous historical claims often set in a nationalist mythology.

If you sit back and think about it, the idea that Israel is necessary to protect Jews makes no sense. It doesn't protect Jews from expulsion, it gives other countries a place to expel their Jews to - to the point where it has a perverse incentive to facilitate those expulsions to increase its own national manpower and bolster its own military. Similarly, Israel as a sovereign state does not actually have the power to prevent pogroms or combat anti-Semitism in other countries. And if the United States decides it wants to engage in a second Holocaust and kill every Jew on the planet, you'd probably have a better chance of surviving that in France or Russia; just "being a state" alone isn't going to keep the US military away.

Other countries being unwilling to take refugees from a potential internal genocide is certainly an issue, true. But considering the global refugee crisis that's been happening the past few years, it's hardly a problem that's unique to Jews. And in fact Israel has done more than its part to contribute to that problem - the creation and expansion of Israel created millions of refugees, and Israel has not only refused to allow those refugees to return but also actively worked to prevent the creation of a dedicated country for Palestinians that might take those refugees.

If you read that page carefully, you'll see that all the sources in any position to actually know what they're talking about only refer to the "Samson Option" as a plan to nuke whoever's attacking them in war. The idea of an Israeli plan to destroy the world by nuking every other country, on the other hand, comes from random hyper-nationalist nobodies with no connection to the Israeli government or military, describing their own personal opinion for what Israel should do in opinion pieces and lectures. Considering the severity of the accusation, that's the sort of thing I'd want much better sourcing on.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I was just linking what the Samson Option was, but the reports about them nuking other allied countries was always just rumor

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I was just linking what the Samson Option was, but the reports about them nuking other allied countries was always just rumor

Well, it's real loving dumb and you should probably stop repeating it without some sort of source.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Smeef posted:

Beijing uses chairing role at UN Security Council to press for immediate ceasefire and resumption of dialogue on two-state solution
Foreign Minister Wang Yi also urges the US to stop obstructing the council’s role in taking action on the conflict

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/dip...pgtype=homepage

Maybe Wang Yi is a goon!

This.

Anyone claiming that China or Russia would just pick up after America ignores how little they give a poo poo about Israel and what a small player it ultimately is in their view. What America has been doing (and is doing now) is actually self-harming as far as international relations are considered and is not based on getting something logical out of it, but on having the second-largest Jewish population in the world and kowtowing to rural evangelicals because of their outsized influence.

It's just not something that other countries are willing to engage in, because they don't have those internal factors.

Sorry America, this one is on you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1394276465966030852?s=20

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why would that cause a nuclear winter?

If you nuked a city, it'd burn and all of the ash would go into the atmosphere blocking the sun. Even if it was a limited engagement, there would be global warming.

Here's a whole report on it - NUCLEAR FAMINE:A BILLION PEOPLE AT RISK

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

If you nuked a city, it'd burn and all of the ash would go into the atmosphere blocking the sun. Even if it was a limited engagement, there would be global warming.

Here's a whole report on it - NUCLEAR FAMINE:A BILLION PEOPLE AT RISK

In reality the entire concept of nuclear winter is actually questionable. Modern cities aren't as flammable as historical ones. Dresden burned in a firestorm in WW2, but other cities with more modern construction failed to generate firestorms despite deliberate efforts to cause them.

That report looks comically sketchy at best.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"Modern cities aren't as flammable as historical ones" seems like a very dubious claim to me. Populations are way higher these days, and tons of wooden houses in the US especially. Or insulation material that might burn.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's a bit irrelevant anyway because the most obvious high risk scenario for Israel deciding to use nukes doesn't involve them targeting cities at all.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Fame Douglas posted:

"Modern cities aren't as flammable as historical ones" seems like a very dubious claim to me. Populations are way higher these days, and tons of wooden houses in the US especially. Or insulation material that might burn.

Well, US cities aren't as flammable because of excessive suburban sprawl.

This is immaterial though. Nuclear war is horrible because of the death and devastation. "Nuclear winter" type events have only ever been observed from volcanic eruptions as far as I know, not ground fires.

I don't really want to continue this conversation in this thread as this is way too derailed, and bad things are happening.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 17, 2021

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/Francescorocca/status/1394364393866006528?s=20

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1394391456731877381?s=20

Also destroyed the only covid testing lab in the region:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/05/17/israel-gaza-conflict-latest-update/

quote:

Israeli jets also destroyed a mattress factory in northern Gaza shortly after dawn. Video circulating on social media showed plumes of black smoke pouring from the facility. An airstrike Monday on a building in central Gaza City damaged the nearby al-Rimal Clinic, which housed Gaza’s only coronavirus testing lab, according to Palestinian media.

https://twitter.com/MiddleEastEye/status/1394346475014995969?s=20

This is hosed.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

so whats actually still going on? are rockets still getting fired? is the IDF actively marching through gaza?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

MightyBigMinus posted:

so whats actually still going on? are rockets still getting fired? is the IDF actively marching through gaza?

The rocket tempo was down a bit, but then came back up after Israel took out a head Hamas guy, apparently.

IDF bombing is very active. The IDF hasn't entered Gaza on the ground and at this point I'd be surprised if they did.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

Modern materials and building methods and fire suppression definitely decreased the risk and severity of fires, even in the US where everything is made from wood apparently

This isn't per capita as far as I could tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Count Roland posted:

The rocket tempo was down a bit, but then came back up after Israel took out a head Hamas guy, apparently.

IDF bombing is very active. The IDF hasn't entered Gaza on the ground and at this point I'd be surprised if they did.

Top Hamas leadership had gone underground before the bombings started.