Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
what a dumb motherfucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Hacker news is independently reasoning towards communism from first principles:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27147477

in slow motion at 1/10000 the speed of course

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Chris Knight posted:

just

lol

I mean id expect pg to say this but still

https://twitter.com/paulg/status/1392756490138791937

disenfranchising one person is a tragedy, disenfranchising entire minorities is a statistic

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

just

lol

I mean id expect pg to say this but still

https://twitter.com/paulg/status/1392756490138791937
Wow, PG thinks that it's fine when white men write sexist or racist stuff but bad when women/minorities have the temerity to complain about it? Who could have seen that coming, lmao.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

oh no how will the former facebook midlevel guy feed and house himself

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if the guy does wind up dying from exposure this fall i guess i won't mind if getting looked into a bit. until that happens though pg is such a loving idiot.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

hes a good guy its just lockerserver room talk

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Breakfast All Day posted:

hes a good guy its just lockerserver room talk

hn thread: its just server room talk

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
How can you have server room talk if all of your stuff is serverless? :thunk:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BobHoward posted:

hn thread: its just server room talk

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
how you know people who are pretending to be in the industry: "server room talk" - lol

that poo poo doesnt exist

its server room yelling or texting each other

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

server room? sure but why would I ever go in there? the ops guys handle that stuff :lofty:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
not any more buddy
welcome to
devops

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
if I tried to go into the server room I think the Amazon guards would shoot me

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

failwhaleshark 11 hours ago [–]

Suppose protein folding simulation and manufacturing can rapidly advance well beyond current levels. It seems like a hypothetical synthetic immune system that whitelists every configuration of every protein an individual can possibly generate and excludes everything else (if possible) would be a way to blanket eliminate unknown unknowns proactively like SELinux for the body.

pontifier 10 hours ago [–]

I did a thought experiment about how the immune system must work and came up with a simple system using only mechanisms that I know are available molecularly.
If you could have a bunch of random protein sensors that undergo a training phase where they learn what "Host" is. Anything that makes a "detection" during training is discarded. Anything that doesn't is either never going to detect stuff, or might detect something "Foreign".
These then float around your blood stream and either do nothing until they are lost, or go crazy replicating and raising the alarm when something Foreign shows up.
A danger with this method is random sequences that are just really bad at detecting "Host" or a training period that is cut short. This might lead to autoimmune responses.
This thought might give some hints about how to combat autoimmune diseases without disrupting the greater immune system.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

qPM9l3XJrF 1 hour ago [–]

Is there such a thing as an ethical thousandaire? Millionaire?

If you think there is, why can't there be ethical billionaires? An ethical billionaire is just an ethical millionaire who kept working to make the source of their income grow until it grew 1000x as large.

Big businesses are generally more ethical than little ones -- subject to more customer and regulatory scrutiny. It's much easier for a small business to get away with flouting environmental regulations or treating its employees harshly. (When's the last time the manager at a tiny roadside restaurant got fired for sexually harassing his employees?) This increased level of scrutiny means it is easier to bring to mind examples of unethical behavior by large businesses even if the actual rate is about the same. The media is biased to cover misdeeds by billionaires due to billionairephobia, the same way it is biased to cover misdeeds by Black people due to racism.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
won't somebody please think of the billionaires

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

hdjfntnrn 1 day ago [–]

Like it or not, that increased car traffic delivers more utility.
You can't have a car free metropolis. That's a contradiction.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

fritz posted:

Suppose protein folding simulation and manufacturing can rapidly advance well beyond current levels. It seems like a hypothetical synthetic immune system that whitelists every configuration of every protein an individual can possibly generate and excludes everything else (if possible) would be a way to blanket eliminate unknown unknowns proactively like SELinux for the body.

pontifier 10 hours ago [–]

I did a thought experiment about how the immune system must work and came up with a simple system using only mechanisms that I know are available molecularly.
If you could have a bunch of random protein sensors that undergo a training phase where they learn what "Host" is. Anything that makes a "detection" during training is discarded. Anything that doesn't is either never going to detect stuff, or might detect something "Foreign".
These then float around your blood stream and either do nothing until they are lost, or go crazy replicating and raising the alarm when something Foreign shows up.
A danger with this method is random sequences that are just really bad at detecting "Host" or a training period that is cut short. This might lead to autoimmune responses.
This thought might give some hints about how to combat autoimmune diseases without disrupting the greater immune system.

these are so loving good

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lots of great hn posts today, wow.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I wanted to imagine how the immune system works, but I didn't go read a biology textbook, or even a wikipedia page. Instead I sat here in my computer chair and dreamed to myself about how it might work, and then I wrote some stupid words about it on the internet. Anyway have you considered that the bloodstream is a bit like GitHub

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

fritz posted:

hdjfntnrn 1 day ago [–]

Like it or not, that increased car traffic delivers more utility.
You can't have a car free metropolis. That's a contradiction.

what the gently caress, no it doesn't

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

KozmoNaut posted:

qPM9l3XJrF 1 hour ago [–]

Is there such a thing as an ethical thousandaire? Millionaire?

If you think there is, why can't there be ethical billionaires? An ethical billionaire is just an ethical millionaire who kept working to make the source of their income grow until it grew 1000x as large.

Big businesses are generally more ethical than little ones -- subject to more customer and regulatory scrutiny. It's much easier for a small business to get away with flouting environmental regulations or treating its employees harshly. (When's the last time the manager at a tiny roadside restaurant got fired for sexually harassing his employees?) This increased level of scrutiny means it is easier to bring to mind examples of unethical behavior by large businesses even if the actual rate is about the same. The media is biased to cover misdeeds by billionaires due to billionairephobia, the same way it is biased to cover misdeeds by Black people due to racism.

The last line makes me think this is an obvious troll, or at least I dearly hope so

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

xtal posted:

The last line makes me think this is an obvious troll, or at least I dearly hope so

It tracks with their posts for their entire 11 month account history, so it's either are very dedicated troll or a True Believer.

Perennial favorite WalterBright has joined in, and I know he's definitely drinking the libertarian Kool-Aid.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Quote != edit, crapitalist scum

mystes
May 31, 2006

xtal posted:

This type of thing (making false equivalences with racism) has become really common on HN recently so it may not be.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

raxxorrax 25 minutes ago [–]

Isn't every man an incel between sexual intercourse?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Hammerite posted:

I wanted to imagine how the immune system works, but I didn't go read a biology textbook, or even a wikipedia page. Instead I sat here in my computer chair and dreamed to myself about how it might work, and then I wrote some stupid words about it on the internet. Anyway have you considered that the bloodstream is a bit like GitHub
first principles!!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

fritz posted:

raxxorrax 25 minutes ago [–]

Isn't every man an incel between sexual intercourse?

lol i came to post this

it was in response to this

pfisch 1 hour ago [–]

Calling a person an NPC is a good way to throw away your credibility and sound like an incel.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

fritz posted:

lol

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

mystes posted:

This type of thing (making false equivalences with racism) has become really common on HN recently so it may not be.

Yeah this is a common glibertarian attempt at "I am speaking your language, beep boop, look how credible I am".

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
2021: the year of SELinux on the body

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
also my body can already whitelist a whole bunch of proteins if you know what i mean

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ploika 43 minutes ago [–]

I think you're talking about different things.
Yosemite could be breathtaking, but not interesting (because it feels very foreign) the way that a huge high school football game or a typical American diner might be interesting to non-American eyes.
(In case it's not obvious, I've never been to the USA)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

It tracks with their posts for their entire 11 month account history, so it's either are very dedicated troll or a True Believer.

qPM9l3XJrF 7 hours ago [–]

>things with large amounts of money aren't humans and don't have morals
"Dehumanize when it's trendy." This is billionairephobia, friend.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
God I hate Devise

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

pasquinelli 13 minutes ago [–]

there aren't enough billionaires to vote in anything. if they have that kind of power, it's a power that trumps the democratic institutions of this country.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
pretty big if!!!! who knows!??!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The rare good post:

dougmwne 34 minutes ago [–]

I was shocked the other day on the Ethereum PoS announcement by the energy consumption per transaction metrics. It threw the whole crypto market into a new light for me. BTC is using over a megawatt hour PER transaction! That's almost 5000 miles in a Tesla model 3. BTC is using about 2/3 of the power of every data center on the planet! Many, many people have been imprisoned or executed for creating less societal harm and externality than Bitcoin. Satoshi Nakamoto may end up being the most destructive person to have ever lived.
People are free to gamble, but could they please not turn the surface of the Earth into a black body radiator while they're at it?