Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

LesterGroans posted:

Jason X is too aggressively Canadian for me to get on board with it.

Jason X was clearly part of the Andromeda expanded universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I actually like Hellraiser Bloodline a lot for that reason, they were like gently caress it we're going to space, and actually the Cenobites and space are a better match than most of the other iconic horror franchises.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

RobbZombae posted:

Ed Gein: The Butcher of Plainfield.

Kane Hodder as Ed Gein jumps out as a ridiculous casting decision but y'know I couldn't help but be intrigued by how Hodder was asked to do things we hadn't see him do before (although he hulks out enough times anyway). It got me thinking about what the best performances by iconic horror actors were - or at least times where they were asked to do more. Was Robert Englund's best performance his appearance in the Fat Boys music video? Maybe.

Jamie Lee Curtis with a great comedic performance in A Fish Called Wanda but I wonder if Halloween 2018 was the hardest task.
Boris Karloff in Targets showed us a new side of him whilst keeping his aging, painful body as comfortable as possible.
Christopher Lee has been asked to just be Christopher Lee so many times, I wonder if Gremlins 2 was as fun for him to perform as it is to watch.

I am actually drawing a complete blank on other horror actors who get asked to make a step up and deliver a performance.

I keep thinking about how amazing Brad Dourif is in Exorcist III and even though it's not completely out of his wheelhouse boy do they give him a big canvas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXLg3VRiAM0

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Dourif’s best acting was probably in Deadwood. He’s a lot different of an actor than Hodder obviously, who’s primarily a stunt guy.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is Dourif method? I know he has that story about how he kept the English accent he used for Wormtongue through the entire filming of LOTR, and dropped it immediately after his last shot, and then Bernard Hill (Theoden) thought he was doing a terrible American accent as a joke or something

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Drunkboxer posted:

Dourif’s best acting was probably in Deadwood. He’s a lot different of an actor than Hodder obviously, who’s primarily a stunt guy.

Yeah, dude's an Oscar and Emmy nominated actor who just so happens to do a lot of horror stuff.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can only imagine that Dourif must be like a living legend to other actors. The range of stuff he's done, the length of time he's been doing it, and his ridiculously consistent high standard that he delivers ever single time, there's very few actors who have had that level of career just in terms of acting as a craft. Obviously there are tons of actors who have had more famous roles and made a lot more money but I'm guessing that other actors worship at Dourif's feet when they get the chance to work with him. They should anyway.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Dourif was great in the early X-Files episode he was in, but since he was playing a death row inmate it probably doesn’t count as massively out of character.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

St Maud...in space!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

St Maud...in space!

It'd be great if a director had like a major hit horror movie and then immediately took the first sequel to space completely out of nowhere. I'd respect the hell out of a director who had the nerve to do that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

Jason X is too aggressively Canadian for me to get on board with it.

Looks too much like a WB show, yeah.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It'd be great if a director had like a major hit horror movie and then immediately took the first sequel to space completely out of nowhere. I'd respect the hell out of a director who had the nerve to do that.

Midsommar in space where the Midsommar cult meets the Heaven's Gate cult on the Hale Bopp comet.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Looks too much like a WB show, yeah.

Sounds like it too. Far too much quippy Whedon dialogue.

Also a great forgotten Jamie Lee Curtis role is True Lies.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Basebf555 posted:

Machete was successful and followed by a sequel that went to space, but it mostly sucked.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I strongly believe it's about to happen with F&F.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I strongly believe it's about to happen with F&F.

Oh yea I think it is, but with F&F it's long overdue. They probably could've gone to space as early as Fast 6, definitely 7.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Attack the Block 2 https://deadline.com/2021/05/attack...impression=true

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

they've had a lot of time to consider what a sequel looks like. I hope it turns out well.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

That's kinda what happened with Highlander.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Patrick Swayze wrote and performed “She’s Like the Wind” for Jamie Lee Curtis.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Dourif is such a good actor that watching the Exorcist III Legion vhs workprint scenes that look like pure dogshit is still great because of him. Without all the vocal audio tricks and cutting between him and Jason Miller, it's like a great stage performance.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

loving the brad dourif love. he's just such a good character actor and throws so much cool poo poo on the screen that it elevates whatever scene it is he's in. lookin at you, Alien Resurrection. him in Deadwood as an incredibly moral and sympathetic character is really great too; he doesn't just play psychos!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Pumped for this

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Just wanted to add to the Brad Dourif love. Anytime I see his name in the credits it's an instant "hell yes!".

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Now I'm thinking about Brad Dourif, and realizing the reason I've always been partial to Ben Foster is because he totally reminds of Dourif. The two of them could have one heck of a wild-eye staring contest.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

add Rami Malek and Dennis Hopper and youd have the ultimate "absolutely unhinged look" staring contest

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Can Michael Shannon get in on that?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Brad Dourif reminder: watch Death Machine

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If you've never seen it Tobe Hooper's Spontaneous Combustion has Brad Dourif in it as the lead and its worth tracking down.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Dourif’s best gig

https://youtu.be/Hz1DHgdVKeE

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

That is blessed.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

"i'm doin' love scenes with jennifer tilly and you're callin' me the dummy?"

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Just watched The House that Jack Built, and I had a few questions/observations(spoilers, btw):
Why did Jack only tell Vergil about seemingly dumb women? Is it an inferiority thing wrt the lovely house he never builds and his constantly claiming that he's an architect/artist?
What was the symbolism of the black light?
The movie really nails OCD, esp with the imaginary blood behind the painting.
I really enjoyed that, at the lowest level of Hell, Jack is finally done in by his hubris and pushing his chances no longer works.
"Grumpy was no longer Grumpy."

Kulkasha fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 18, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Might want to spoiler text that post my dude, youre kinda giving away the movie

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kulkasha posted:

Just watched The House that Jack Built, and I had a few questions/observations:
Why did Jack only tell Vergil about seemingly dumb women? Is it an inferiority thing wrt the lovely house he never builds and his constantly claiming that he's an architect/artist?

Yeah, it's heavily implied throughout that a lot of things including his ego makes him an unreliable narrator and just because he focuses on women doesn't mean 1) those were his only victims or 2) they were anywhere near as unintelligent as he made them sound. He wants to feel powerful and successful and smart, so anyone he kills automatically had to both be weaker and be way stupider than him

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

weekly font posted:

Also a great forgotten Jamie Lee Curtis role is True Lies.

I don't think there's many heterosexual men who have forgotten Jamie Lee Curtis in True Lies.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Terrifier 2 finished their rough cut and it has a runtime of 2 hours and 21 minutes.

I'm not sure there's a human on this planet who wants to watch that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Terrifier 2 finished their rough cut and it has a runtime of 2 hours and 21 minutes.

What in the heck

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, I don't "want" to watch that. And yet I will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Kvlt! posted:

sheepishly raises hand