Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, between Jack, Mickey, and Adam's actors....and reports of RTD turning a blind eye....suddenly Eccleston bailing as soon as contractually able to makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

jivjov posted:

Yeah, between Jack, Mickey, and Adam's actors....and reports of RTD turning a blind eye....suddenly Eccleston bailing as soon as contractually able to makes sense.

I know RTD was heavily influenced by Joss Whedon when he started work on NuWho, but this is taking that influence just a bit too far. :v:

(sorry, sorry, I'll show myself out :sweatdrop:)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I know RTD was heavily influenced by Joss Whedon when he started work on NuWho, but this is taking that influence just a bit too far. :v:

(sorry, sorry, I'll show myself out :sweatdrop:)

Yeah, cause the comparison is kinda wrong on several levels.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Astroman posted:

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a new Lives of Captain Jack from Big Finish either. I suspect Torchwood may continue with the other cast and if it doesn't sell it will be quietly sunsetted like they seem to be doing with franchises where all/most of the principle actors are dead, like Blake's 7 and Dark Shadows.

Whelp called that one. I was looking forward to more Captain Jack stories, but I guess it is not meant to be.

I wonder how far Big Finish will go? Would they pull all of the audios Barrowman appeared in?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Astroman posted:

Whelp called that one. I was looking forward to more Captain Jack stories, but I guess it is not meant to be.

I wonder how far Big Finish will go? Would they pull all of the audios Barrowman appeared in?

The current line of thinking is that it's the BBC pushing this, and not BF.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I'm guessing that since the BBC seem to be saying that Barrowman's behaviour was immature and unprofessional, not predatory or for gratification, it'll get rescheduled in a few months or something, with the advertising focusing more on David Tennant's role.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Don't take it out in public or they'll stick you in the dock and you won't a-come a-back

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/jonnymorris1973/status/1393997100170481667?s=20

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Skaro year 10963: Daleks develop gravity-variance weapon

Earth year 1976:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The Leicester Space Museum had a remote convention this weekend, with some Doctor Who guests, but the audio quality on their Youtube page doesn't seem great. Paul McGann is basically normally inaudible for being chunks of his interview due to interference.

Still, it's a cute idea and the interviewer was good, and Colin Baker plays with a sock puppet of himself.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/matt_holsman/status/1393976343772155908?s=21

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTFFl9VndC8

I wonder how Mel's screams sound in 5.1 surround sound

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/DaveBautista/status/1394125913252638724?s=20

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1394382670445125632

Oh, cool. I know another actor who could return too, as she's probably about to be free.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Now that isn't something I ever expected to see.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Today I found out the 6th Doctor had felt cats inside his coat acting like notches for adventures.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rhyno posted:

Now that isn't something I ever expected to see.

Seriously, loved the movie but it never even occurred to me that it was a film that would ever get a sequel. Hope it's anywhere near as fun as the original though, and yes would be great if Jodie Whittaker is in it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
My 6-year-old's become addicted to the 2017 Wacky Races reboot, which after my initial reactionary "they've changed things!" horror I've actually found quite good fun. But one episode in particular stood out - 'Wackier Than Fiction', where the Racers end up in a land of fiction populated by the likes of Gulliver and the Musketeers, where they face the threat of being edited out of existence by a sinister figure who controls the narrative...

Why yes, series writer/producer Mike Disa is a self-admitted fan of classic Doctor Who, it turns out!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1395031932346507270?s=20

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

You can't make poo poo like this up, lol

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Wait, why is Harry there?

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

OldMemes posted:

He's in the second story of the box according to the descriptions

quote:

1.2 Fire and Ice by John Dorney

When Kate needs Harry Sullivan’s help with a threat from the Eleven, she and Osgood travel to Australia to meet him. He’s there with Naomi Cross, investigating footage of an apparent UFO crash that turned up on social media.

They find themselves caught in the middle of a conflict between Ice Warriors. And one Ice Warrior isn’t so icy –in fact, he’s red hot. And getting hotter...

Gotta get their mileage out of the characters now that they've recast him and Sarah Jane

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

No, they can, that's literally a writer's job.

Homora Gaykemi posted:

He's in the second story of the box according to the descriptions

Gotta get their mileage out of the characters now that they've recast him and Sarah Jane

Having listened to the 3rd Doctor trailer with Sarah Jane and Liz Shaw, out of all the recasts, Liz sounds the closest to the original actor.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1394570955775614983?s=20

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 19, 2021

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

OldMemes posted:

He showed up to the cover shoot despite not being in it, because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SO1kQi4Pds

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

quote:

An ancient artefact, a stone arch anachronistically imbedded with electronic circuitry, is recovered following a rupture in an undersea stretch of the Mull lava group in North West Scotland, a geological feature dating from tens of millions of years ago.

UNIT's investigation will unlock a link to another world and bring them face to face with a new and powerful threat...

Admittedly I haven't listened to UNIT stuff yet, so I'm missing something for sure, but what's so unbelievable here? I know nothing about the computer-rock but I'd buy that basic concept in almost any scifi, certainly Who.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If I understand right this is the modern UNIT running into the 4th Doctor and Harry?

I am so loving there for this, even if it's a total disaster. Maybe especially if it is a total disaster.

Also in very mildly related news, I had a chance to listen to the first of the 9th Doctor stories and goddamn it is so loving great hearing Eccleston as 9 again, it doesn't feel like he's missed a day.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

If I understand right this is the modern UNIT running into the 4th Doctor and Harry?

I am so loving there for this, even if it's a total disaster. Maybe especially if it is a total disaster.

Also in very mildly related news, I had a chance to listen to the first of the 9th Doctor stories and goddamn it is so loving great hearing Eccleston as 9 again, it doesn't feel like he's missed a day.

The cover would suggest that’s the Curator, rather than the 4th Doctor.

And it’s that time again:

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1395303287721586694

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

The cover would suggest that’s the Curator, rather than the 4th Doctor.

Who knows, eh?

Who.... knows? :shobon:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

Who knows, eh?

Who.... knows? :shobon:

I rewatched that part about 2 weeks ago and my wife brought up how when I sat on the couch watching it originally I just went to tears as soon as I heard his voice. My grandmother had passed 3 days earlier and I hadn't started mourning for her and hearing Baker's voice just hit my fragile emotions in the right place.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

The_Doctor posted:

Having listened to the 3rd Doctor trailer with Sarah Jane and Liz Shaw, out of all the recasts, Liz sounds the closest to the original actor.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1394570955775614983?s=20

Never listened to one of these. Oh boy, that does not sound like Jon Pertwee.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I rewatched that part about 2 weeks ago and my wife brought up how when I sat on the couch watching it originally I just went to tears as soon as I heard his voice. My grandmother had passed 3 days earlier and I hadn't started mourning for her and hearing Baker's voice just hit my fragile emotions in the right place.

God, it was such a fantastic Day (of the Doctor).

fluppet posted:

e: HOLY gently caress ITS TOM

And then it just kicks off from there :hellyeah:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'll never forget Tom saying on social media "oh well they told me not to tell anyone I'm in the anniversary special, but I'm in it. What are they going to do to me?"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And nobody would have suspected a thing because he has a history of saying things like "I think I'm called Peter Davison in this one". He's so great.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I've had a story idea kicking around for a while, so might give it a try this year!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Admittedly I haven't listened to UNIT stuff yet, so I'm missing something for sure, but what's so unbelievable here? I know nothing about the computer-rock but I'd buy that basic concept in almost any scifi, certainly Who.

It was more that how insanely fanwanky premise is. New UNIT and the Ice Queen from Empress Of Mars fight. Also The Eleven, Harry, and a future Doctor Who companion are there -- her story isn't coming out until 2024, and this story is set during that season!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ1ndzjkNYI

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So if they are doing Curator stories now...

Could we get a 4/Curator story?!

Could the audio medium handle that much Tom Baker? :swoon:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Astroman posted:

So if they are doing Curator stories now...

Could we get a 4/Curator story?!

Could the audio medium handle that much Tom Baker? :swoon:

The Curator's been in the 8th Doctor series "Stranded"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was fun! And are those Amy's glasses? :3:

"Half human on her mother's side. And her father's." got a good laugh from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

jivjov posted:

Haven't heard of the other two until now...what happened?