Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
THE BEST MAN VS DARBY 71 56.35%
BUCKS VS SCU 40 31.75%
NAGATA VS MOX 14 11.11%
OC VS PAC 1 0.79%
Total: 126 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
someone please hug christopher daniels :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That eye looks like abadon's eyes with the contacts in

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
matt buck nobody made ten grand with your dumbass signature

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Going from CD's promo right into the BTE theme is what I would call mood whiplash

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
god. ryan nemeth carrying around that fake assed oscar is so damned lame but its so perfect for him

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

all-timer of a BTE this week

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Heel vs heel matches can be dicy, but I trust them to pull it off. I guess you could just add a face team, then have the face team beat the Bucks to prove they're #1 contenders

One of my favorite heel vs heel matches was The Orient Express vs Power and Glory, simply because they kept teasing Mr. Fuji and Slick going at it at ringside.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

One of the better BTEs in recent memory.

CD killed it in the opener and now I'm very much behind a final singles run for him, maybe even with the TNT Title sprinkled in or something.

Nick Jackson's ability to hit trick shots from literally anywhere is kind of bonkers.

The airport bit with Nick calling out that autograph stalker guy was loving great.

The very end was also hilarious but I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't watched yet.

The Daniels bit at the start also made me go out and watch the Dusty promo he referenced which is very short but pretty good stuff, and interesting to see someone give such a promo after winning a belt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZtpZ5DlOtU&t=109s

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Long BTE, but a very good one. Not every segment was a winner but enough were that the whole thing felt enjoyable.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ganso Bomb posted:

One of the better BTEs in recent memory.

CD killed it in the opener and now I'm very much behind a final singles run for him, maybe even with the TNT Title sprinkled in or something.

honestly I'd love him working up to a tnt title shot that ends with a last stand but he doesn't quite have enough left in the tank

similar to darby's last stand vs miro but with the current champion actually seeming to be in danger of legitimately losing

or hell, do that vs Omega on a TV title defense of big plat

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Miro will force CD to retire by turning him into an actual angel

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

what's also obvious is how much fun CD is having with this. If you're going to have a swan song, you might as well sing the gently caress out of it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

It's definitely a time when his theatre training has got to be just a massive asset.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

HidaO-Win posted:

The emotional core of the SCU story is something that has not been given the airtime it deserves. I think it’d draw more if it had been given a few minutes on tv for the last few months, but you need to give airtime for promos like that to pull it off.

I 100% agree with this. Especially because SCU (and especially Daniels) pulled me in so hard with that match, the blood, the story, and now Daniels' post-match promo.

e: omg these Hollywood Trivia segments are absolute gold :lol:

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 17, 2021

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
For a final run, CD should introduce an Over 40 title, be the oldest guy in the division, and just wreck dudes in their 40s.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

For a final run, CD should introduce an Over 40 title, be the oldest guy in the division, and just wreck dudes in their 40s.

Christopher Daniels vs Toru Owashi and Gorgeous Matsuno for the DDT O-40 belt

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

CD rules. Good BTE overall. I'm not crying after that opening promo. I'm not crying.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I can't believe I have to admit Madi Wrenkowski and Ryan Nemeth have grown on me, but here we are.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

SonicRulez posted:

I can't believe I have to admit Madi Wrenkowski and Ryan Nemeth have grown on me, but here we are.
Ryan Nemeth has been great since joining AEW. Not in the ring obviously.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

Ryan Nemeth has been great since joining AEW. Not in the ring obviously.

I loved that amateur wrestling schtick he was doing.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

:honk: is good enough in the ring and that's what matters.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

he also does the best hannibal lecter impression of anyone ive ever seen, which is probably more important than boring poo poo like selling a punch or whatever

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pylons posted:

I loved that amateur wrestling schtick he was doing.

he still does it, he chain wrestles and then breaks and declares points for himself, it rules

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I rolled my eyes through the first Ryan Nemeth appearance but yeah, he's a glorious doofus

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Christopher Daniels transformed into Kano who kills people with sadness. :smith:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

he also does the best hannibal lecter impression of anyone ive ever seen, which is probably more important than boring poo poo like selling a punch or whatever

Rarity posted:

I rolled my eyes through the first Ryan Nemeth appearance but yeah, he's a glorious doofus

:yeah:

He’s very very funny

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from

jesus WEP posted:

people like it

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/FuegoDelSol/status/1394384870370168835

This match should rule and that's a great promo from Fuego.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 17, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The card for elevation later looks really good

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I feel like slowly but surely they're getting the pieces into place for what Elevation / a potential second show should look like. More competitive matches than Dark, more up and comers than Dynamite, a few straightforward squash matches and a sprinking of tryouts for the guys they see something in. Plus some storyline development but not enough that people just watching Dynamite feel lost.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Pylons posted:

https://twitter.com/FuegoDelSol/status/1394384870370168835

This match should rule and that's a great promo from Fuego.

God drat, this fuckin' rules. And it's also something I didn't think about. They're not going to tour with the entire Dark crew. Some of these people are probably going to start to fall off if they go back to doing Dark the way it used to be. AEW going back on tour could hit a lot of people in a lot of very different ways.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The features on and interviews with future stars really sells the concept of Elevation too. Just a few minutes for the wrestlers to go "hey this is why you should want to see me succeed" has been really effective in, uh, making me want to see them succeed.
I would like to see those prospects get more traditional promos too. The Marvez interviews tend to be with established stars.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Fuego is quite possibly the second best promo in all of AEW. I feel like his only competition are PnP.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The existence of both Dark and Elevation lead me to assume the "Daily's Place show with a bunch of matches" format will continue to exist somehow. Also Tony Khan has said it's a very valuable tool that I think he wants to keep.

Still, great promo. Fun how you have "I want your spot" feuds at the literal very top and the very bottom of the company.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

All Elevation needs is that elusive something with the commentary team, maybe Paul and Toney just need more time to finish gelling but I just can't help but feeling like there's some element that they're missing. I don't know that it necessarily needs to be a third person, though someone not another white man would be welcome, just something to give them definition. Dynamite has Excalibur as the glue, Dark has the glorious weirdo chemistry of Ex and Taz, Elevation just needs its thing.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I agree they should hire Veda Scott.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I wonder if Ricky would be a good fit since he has to take some time off anyway.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
elevation wants someone who knows the moves and the history but every time i try to come up with someone on the roster who might be able to do that i just go to excalibur and dude needs SOME time off

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MJeff posted:

The existence of both Dark and Elevation lead me to assume the "Daily's Place show with a bunch of matches" format will continue to exist somehow. Also Tony Khan has said it's a very valuable tool that I think he wants to keep.

Still, great promo. Fun how you have "I want your spot" feuds at the literal very top and the very bottom of the company.

Hire Billie Kay to be a commentator, she'd be amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

flatluigi posted:

elevation wants someone who knows the moves and the history but every time i try to come up with someone on the roster who might be able to do that i just go to excalibur and dude needs SOME time off

Yeah, that is kind of the big thing with AEW commentary, they need a second mic with all of the skills of Ex but who isn't Ex so he can rest is voice.

Ex needs to take an apprentice is what I am saying.