Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I found both the American and English ones super boring but the rest of Revolutions is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

SerCypher posted:

Yes, that is us! I appreciate the kind words.

I know some people in here prefer the very focused and lengthy exploration of topics some other podcasts do, but neither of us is a professional historian (and we both have day jobs) so we'd never be able to match that level of detail. Also sometimes we talk about modern stuff because modern chinese politics and society gets us down and we need to vent.

Instead we try to find topics that interest us personally, and do as much research as we can to give context to the event (and hopefully get across why we think its interesting). Chinese history and culture of the past 200 years is so crazy and chaotic and interesting that we enjoy doing the podcast for fun.

I've just started listening to your most recent episode. I have read some of the Fu Manchu stories. All I can say is: 'oof'.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
One thing that is worth pointing out about the ARW series of revolutions is that its the one that introduces Lafayette as a character so it might be worth listening to just for that.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It’s funny that his early Revolutions episodes, while fine (and some are good to great) are a lot like his early History of Rome episodes: covering a lot of traditionally trodden ground the traditional way only to expand significantly as he goes on.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

I've just started listening to your most recent episode. I have read some of the Fu Manchu stories. All I can say is: 'oof'.

Yeah, I was more familiar with the goofy comic book villain presentation of the character and was surprised just how blatant the worldview was in the first three books.

And that the author really seemed to own it and believe in shadowy Chinese super criminal organizations, even until late in his life. It's like if a Qanon person ended up writing a popular novel about the deep state and the character stuck around for the next century.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The English Civil War season was interesting probably more because I just knew so little about the event, while I can't really remember much of whatever's unique about Mike Duncan's take on the American Revolution in the mess of information I have absorbed into my brain.

When he gets into the French Revolution, he goes a lot more in-depth on the social contexts of events and the individuals doing their own politicking and plotting, and he gets more self-aware about the historiography.

SerCypher posted:

Yeah, I was more familiar with the goofy comic book villain presentation of the character and was surprised just how blatant the worldview was in the first three books.

And that the author really seemed to own it and believe in shadowy Chinese super criminal organizations, even until late in his life. It's like if a Qanon person ended up writing a popular novel about the deep state and the character stuck around for the next century.

With how elaborate some conspiracy theories get, it's not surprising that you could catch a big audience just by selling them as fiction instead of the secret truth. That was kind of the idea of X-Files.

And I think pulp media at the time kinda got blurry between total fiction, mythologized hearsay, and supposedly plausible stories.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
IMO the ARW episodes are good, even if not quite on the level of the later ones.

I'm partial to the Mexican episodes myself.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The Haiti episodes were where he let his usual smartass neutral historian mask slip and you could hear him get genuinely upset and heartbroken at the horrors that the Haitian people got put through.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

FMguru posted:

The Haiti episodes were where he let his usual smartass neutral historian mask slip and you could hear him get genuinely upset and heartbroken at the horrors that the Haitian people got put through.

Yeah you can hear him losing sympathy for the liberal revolutionary types who he was very sympathetic to in the previous series.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah you can hear him losing sympathy for the liberal revolutionary types who he was very sympathetic to in the previous series.

Radicalization is real.

Edit: I think it was hearing about the castration by molasses which got me.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

twerking on the railroad posted:

I'm partial to the Mexican episodes myself.

He addresses this at one point near the end, but his clear sympathy for Pancho Villa through the majority of it before quickly kind of admitting that he was a pretty lovely guy who did a bunch of bad stuff was a little weird to me.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Haiti series is the one that I'd get someone to listen to if they only we're going to listen to one.

The Bolivar series is pretty great too though. Lots of great characters. I love the janeiros, or that but where they crossed the mountains.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

The English Civil War season was interesting probably more because I just knew so little about the event, while I can't really remember much of whatever's unique about Mike Duncan's take on the American Revolution in the mess of information I have absorbed into my brain.

Same, also because it lends so much context to a great monty python song that's been banging around my head for nearly 30 years. Hell, this song covered the events more thoroughly then my AP European history course in high school did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBPf6P332uM

Kalli fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 18, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sinteres posted:

He addresses this at one point near the end, but his clear sympathy for Pancho Villa through the majority of it before quickly kind of admitting that he was a pretty lovely guy who did a bunch of bad stuff was a little weird to me.

Why? You can find someone sympathetic without having to pretend they weren't lovely. Especially in the world of revolutions, a lot of figures are like that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah Duncan is sympathetic towards a lot of figures who were assholes or didn't really end up serving the cause of revolution that well. He liked Lafayette enough to write an entire book about him even though he was ultimately never more than a (well meaning) liberal at heart, he loving loves Talleyrand who is like the textbook scheming chancellor character, and more recently he's pretty up front about his view that Tsar Nicholas wasn't really a bad guy personally and what happened to him is pitiable in a sense, he was just a woefully under equipped ruler for the times he was in and too attached to absolute authority that was very clearly not long for the world.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Kalli posted:

Same, also because it lends so much context to a great monty python song that's been banging around my head for nearly 30 years. Hell, this song covered the events more thoroughly then my AP European history course in high school did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBPf6P332uM
I loved this song for the same reasons, so I was caught by surprise when Duncan painted Cromwell as quite reluctantly following the path to executing Charles and taking power.

For me, it was also interesting coming back to Charles I when examining Louis XVI, the Duke of Orleans, and Nicholas II.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Sydin posted:

Yeah Duncan is sympathetic towards a lot of figures who were assholes or didn't really end up serving the cause of revolution that well. He liked Lafayette enough to write an entire book about him even though he was ultimately never more than a (well meaning) liberal at heart, he loving loves Talleyrand who is like the textbook scheming chancellor character, and more recently he's pretty up front about his view that Tsar Nicholas wasn't really a bad guy personally and what happened to him is pitiable in a sense, he was just a woefully under equipped ruler for the times he was in and too attached to absolute authority that was very clearly not long for the world.

“Woefully under equipped ruler for the times” is pretty much the catchphrase of every revolution :v:

I don’t remember if it was Duncan or someone else who said that monarchy is just drawing cards: sometimes you get the King of Hearts, sometimes you get the Two of Clubs.

And I think his love of Talleyrand stretches back a long way, well before his political views shifted. I think his more modern appraisal would be way less sympathetic or admiring.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think it's possible to build sympathy or affection towards historical figures without necessarily agreeing with them or thinking that they even did good. Pancho Villa put forth such an impressive character that it's hard not to kinda like him, even though his earlier campaigns knocking down major landholders eventually led to assassination attempts and using terrorism to engineer a US invasion. Impressive guy, bit of a psychopath. I feel like a lot more prominent figures in like the medieval era probably fit a similar profile, just projecting their charisma and relying on a cross between personal grudges and pragmatism to push them forward rather than any ideology.

Monarchs you can sort of sympathize with after you understand how they were brought up to be what they were, and how they could just be well-meaning idiots and the system generates malice underneath them automatically. Although there's also bastards like King Charles.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sydin posted:

When it comes to Nicholas II I kind of get it. He was just absolutely and completely out of his depth, had received an awful and probably counterproductive education, and operating in a system that did its best to isolate him from the world around him. He was presiding over a machine that produced a shitload of suffering but was never really in control of it. Dude would have lived a much happier and longer life if one of his uncles had pushed him off the throne and sent him to live in Denmark or some poo poo.

But he was also a living breathing caricature of a racist, so yeah.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

There aren't a lot of heroes to root for in history because heroes aren't real. The Behind the Bastards holiday episodes about not-Bastards went pretty quickly from Wallenberg (no body count) to John Brown (body count and some violent excesses but ultimately on the right side of history) to Nestor Makhno (a complicated guy in a complicated situation with a pretty substantial body count who was at best the least lovely of a bunch of lovely leaders).

Duncan is a storyteller and it's not surprising that he's drawn to people who have interesting stories. But it is kind of weird that he's so sympathetic towards Nicholas II when most of the other figures he likes were survivors while the Russian Revolution would have unfolded very differently (or not at all) without the czar constantly making unforced errors.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

webmeister posted:

“Woefully under equipped ruler for the times” is pretty much the catchphrase of every revolution :v:

I don’t remember if it was Duncan or someone else who said that monarchy is just drawing cards: sometimes you get the King of Hearts, sometimes you get the Two of Clubs.

One of Carlin's better analogies was his idea of the "monarchy dice" representing the random chance of hereditary monarchs. Sometimes you roll an 11 or 12 and get a Cyrus II or a Louis XIV who is just absolutely a cut above, sometimes you roll a 1 or 2 and get a Caligula or a Charles VI. But the vast majority are 4's, 5's, and 6's: not great, even arguably substandard, but usually fine in times of peace and stability. Charles I, Louis XVI, and Nicholas II all kinda fall into this bucket: monarchs who probably would be relative historical footnotes had they ruled in more stable times, but lacked the ability to handle the upheavals of their respective eras.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The vibe I've been getting from Duncan on Nicholas II is that Nicky is sympathetic in that he was a doufus who seemed to genuinely love his family, but I don't feel that Duncan is trying to make him out to be anything better than an extremely incompetent and self-absorbed leader.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Sydin posted:

One of Carlin's better analogies was his idea of the "monarchy dice" representing the random chance of hereditary monarchs. Sometimes you roll an 11 or 12 and get a Cyrus II or a Louis XIV who is just absolutely a cut above, sometimes you roll a 1 or 2 and get a Caligula or a Charles VI. But the vast majority are 4's, 5's, and 6's: not great, even arguably substandard, but usually fine in times of peace and stability. Charles I, Louis XVI, and Nicholas II all kinda fall into this bucket: monarchs who probably would be relative historical footnotes had they ruled in more stable times, but lacked the ability to handle the upheavals of their respective eras.

The vast majority would be 6's 7's and 8's!! Dice don't work like that Dan Carlin!!!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

The vibe I've been getting from Duncan on Nicholas II is that Nicky is sympathetic in that he was a doufus who seemed to genuinely love his family, but I don't feel that Duncan is trying to make him out to be anything better than an extremely incompetent and self-absorbed leader.

Emphasis mine.

Nicholas II, while being just a middling-to-incompetent ruler, is also totally bought into the idea of absolutism. An imperial figure who believes he’s God’s regent in Russia and is just failing about in his role.

It’s completely horrendous.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

His house would have better called Dunning-Kruger than Romanov.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Sydin posted:

Tsar Nicholas wasn't really a bad guy personally and what happened to him is pitiable in a sense, he was just a woefully under equipped ruler for the times he was in and too attached to absolute authority that was very clearly not long for the world.

Thats pretty much an accepted consensus, Nicholas II didn't do things like personally intervening into political court cases to force surprise last minute verdicts like his "liberator" grandpa Alexander II used to do (and people wonder why he got blown the gently caress up), he was a failson to rule them all who delegated way too much to incompetents and monsters and rolled along in blood and wine until it was too late.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't listen to it consistently, but whenever I run through a few episodes of The Pirate History Podcast I come away impressed. It strikes a great balance between doing what it says on the tin, as well as putting that in the greater context of the history of civilization and focusing in on relevant subjects outside of a strict historical continuum.

It probably errs a bit on the side of pop-history in places, but I think it's a good listen for anyone who is curious.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Can anyone recommend a philosophy podcast with decent politics? I tried The Partially Examined Life but listening to them critique Camus and Kant one minute and praising the likes of Malcolm Gladwell and "philanthropists" like Bill Gates the next left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

PerilPastry posted:

Can anyone recommend a philosophy podcast with decent politics? I tried The Partially Examined Life but listening to them critique Camus and Kant one minute and praising the likes of Malcolm Gladwell and "philanthropists" like Bill Gates the next left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Why Theory is pretty good

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
History ifPhilosophy without any gaps

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/edward_guimont/status/1395504959056187393

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/lessismorrissey/status/1395544668562247683?s=20

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sydin posted:

yeah, nicky was hosed from the beginning because he was dumb but sorta wellish meaning royal moron who believed in absolutism and got all the wrong lessons from his dad because his dad and nicky got hosed up seeing their somewhat reformist leaning grandfather get voiped by a bomb and die in front of them on a table. nicky sorta fell into the Louis XVI spot where he was the wrong man at the wrong time to save the regime or himself.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cockblocktopus posted:

There aren't a lot of heroes to root for in history because heroes aren't real. The Behind the Bastards holiday episodes about not-Bastards went pretty quickly from Wallenberg (no body count) to John Brown (body count and some violent excesses but ultimately on the right side of history) to Nestor Makhno (a complicated guy in a complicated situation with a pretty substantial body count who was at best the least lovely of a bunch of lovely leaders).

Duncan is a storyteller and it's not surprising that he's drawn to people who have interesting stories. But it is kind of weird that he's so sympathetic towards Nicholas II when most of the other figures he likes were survivors while the Russian Revolution would have unfolded very differently (or not at all) without the czar constantly making unforced errors.

yeah. there are no pure "good" guys but their are goodish guys but all of them are messy and most of them are bad as gently caress in other respects.

i think its because nicky 2 could have actually done good things with his power but he was too stupid and up his own rear end to do them.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Wow, I was the pole dancer in that bar that night. What a small world!

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

History ifPhilosophy without any gaps

fuf posted:

Why Theory is pretty good
Thanks guys. I'll check them out :)

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I just stumbled across What's Left of Philosophy and it's been pretty good through the first couple episodes I listened to.

I don't think the politics of PEL are terrible (like 2 libs a centrist and a progressive?) but they seem out of their depth talking about anything contemporary.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Anyone know of a "economic history" podcast? Like "a look at the japanese economy in the 80s", "argentina in the 90s", "the four tiger states in the 90s", etc.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I was wondering if there were any podcasts about Irish History? Anything really, either pre-colonialization to independence or pre 21-st century. Likewise for Australia, New Zealand, India, and South Africa (really former British Colonies). I'm an English teacher abroad and I've realized my knowledge of other English-speaking countries isn't great.

The US I've got pat. The UK is generally pretty good, especially England, though I suppose I should ask for Scotland and Wales as well. Hell, my knowledge about Canada is good enough that if I need more information I know where to find it. But the others? Nada.

I've been enjoying The Chinese History podcast otherwise. Montgomery has a strange delivery that feels a bit try-hard, but I'm enjoying the short-form style. It's refreshing after so many deep dives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

There’s one called The Irish Revolution, it’s a ten part lecture series. I can’t vouch for it because I never got around to listening to it but maybe it’s worth checking out.