Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

DrChu posted:

Nice to see they used the 70s pickup position on those, unlike on the older Vintage Modified series.

Yeah, definitely something I came across when researching what to get. I suppose that's why it's "modified" but eh, why call it a '77 then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

I, too, have bought a bass!

It's a Squier Classic Vibes 70's Jazz Bass (which is a mouthful). I love the versatility of the Jazz, it's what won me over.

Looks great! Heck yeah for J basses!

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Looks great! Heck yeah for J basses!

P crew has words for you.

Just kidding.i have a top end american P from fender and I touch it zero times if my brubaker J is looking at me.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

I started playing on a squier p bass, it was fine but I like the jbass neck much more

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I really really want a P. I love my J to death but the neck is so thin I’ve never been able to dig it. Plus I want that faaat punchy P tone. It’s funny how 99% of my musical desires are accomplished with the Fender classics. Leo & crew :swoon:

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Next bass I buy will probably be a Stingray

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Kilometers Davis posted:

I really really want a P. I love my J to death but the neck is so thin I’ve never been able to dig it. Plus I want that faaat punchy P tone. It’s funny how 99% of my musical desires are accomplished with the Fender classics. Leo & crew :swoon:

I own 2, one being fretless... As good as my Laklands do in replicating 60s and 70s J-bass tones, and MM stingray tones, nothing sounds like a P-bass except a P-bass.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Get a P neck for your J

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Thumposaurus posted:

Get a P neck for your J

Does anyone sell em like this?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

Yeah it's pretty easy to change out necks. A Fender made neck will run you ~350 dollars, though.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Pretty sure all 34" Fenders have the same neck heel size.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

mango sentinel posted:

The Precision Bass Special is exactly that: P-bass body, J-bass neck, P/J pickups. I have one from the year 2000 that is probably my highest mileage bass; black body, gold anodized aluminum pickguard, maple fingerboard. I love that bass.

I think it was on this board where I found out that the current crop of P/J basses from Fender and Squier have a P-bass neck. And that's probably why they dropped "Special" from the name. But if you find one with "PRECISION BASS SPECIAL" on the headstock, it should have the J-bass neck.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
No I mean does anyone sell a jazz bass that comes stock with a P profile neck?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

mango sentinel posted:

No I mean does anyone sell a jazz bass that comes stock with a P profile neck?

IIRC the mark hoppus bass has a j body but a p neck. But apparently has P pickups :(

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JBassMHSFG--fender-mark-hoppus-jazz-bass-surf-green-transparent

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Only have a Sterling by Musicman but its such a unique beast. It will jump out of the mix and pretty much anything else. The bassist from Duran Duran pretty much said the same thing and he got his straight from Bernie Edwards

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Yeah they sound great, I'd probably be fine with a Sterling. If I had unlimited funds I'd definitely get a Warwick Bootsy Collins Star Bass because they look so cool.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

There's also a jazz bass special that is a p body with a j neck stock.
Duff McKagan from guns n roses used one back in the day.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Duff has always had pretty great bass tone. That bass intro to Slither by Velvet Revolver is filthy and on youtube theres an Isolated Welcome to the Jungle bass track thats also pretty tasty

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Same...after a fretless. Then I simply have to stop. And upgrade basses instead. :v:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I really like the J neck, actually another reason I bought it, but I have tiny hands.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I'm left-handed and stubborn, and when I started playing bass the only reasonably priced option was a Squier P Bass Special, so now I'm used to a J neck profile and everything else feels like a baseball bat. (I also have big palms and stumpy sausage fingers.)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Kvlt! posted:

Duff has always had pretty great bass tone. That bass intro to Slither by Velvet Revolver is filthy and on youtube theres an Isolated Welcome to the Jungle bass track thats also pretty tasty

For real, Duff's tone is drat near perfect for the style.

For anyone interested, there are a few GnR isolated bass tracks on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/0M8NrMH0xjM

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I've talked about this in another thread. I started as an upright player, then switched to electric mostly playing Motown before I finally started playing what other kids were playing. And that was tail end of hair bands and beginning of grunge. A lot of playing on w/ MTV.

I didn't like GnR, but I could sing every song and knew the guitar licks note for note. Promise I didn't like 'em.

I didn't buy a PJ as a my second bass, an 800RB, a 2x15, and 4x10 to chase that tone. Nope. Not me.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

anyone got any opinions on late 90s german Esh basses? probably not i imagine, but might as well ask. likewise, what about mid 2010s lakland skyline basses? i've been looking for a decent 5 string and these are 2 of my best current options i think, on the used market, though the lakland is nearly twice as much as the esh, no idea if it's worth it

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I've got an 06 Skyline 55-02 and it's been my main player for over a year. I got it at scratch and dent prices (because it's got a big gouge on it that was filled with wood putty) but it's the best $800 that I've spent on an instrument.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Kevin Bacon posted:

what about mid 2010s lakland skyline basses?

wouldn't hesitate for a second assuming good condition

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Who all is running a comp on their pedal boards and is anyone using the MXR M87? Is that still the go-to for bass comp stomp boxes? I've been running a Boss LMB-3 for 15 years at this point, and really only use it to control the resonant peaks from my envelope filter.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Scarf posted:

Who all is running a comp on their pedal boards and is anyone using the MXR M87? Is that still the go-to for bass comp stomp boxes? I've been running a Boss LMB-3 for 15 years at this point, and really only use it to control the resonant peaks from my envelope filter.

Can't go wrong with the M87 to be honest, especially if there's not a specific thing you are looking for in terms of circuit design or tone color. It Just Works.

I've been happy enough with the Darkglass SuperSymmetry, with its mild tube-inspired warmth, but that's been taken off the board and replaced with the HX Stomp's Rochester model because that works great and doesn't take any board space.

If you can find them, the Empress Compressor MkII and Empress Bass Compressor are both amazing and have excellent visual indicators. If I was in the market today, these would be top of the list.

The OvniFX Smoothie was designed by the guy who made the Ovnilabs encyclopedia website of bass compression - if you've seen that site, you know he knows his poo poo. They're small batch and sporadically in stock - the only reason I don't have one is because I couldn't get it for months when I was in the market.

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
I like my Keeley Bassist. Nice and clean; works great as a compressor or a limiter.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I'm using the regular Diamond Comp Jr., which apparently only differs from the Bass Comp Jr. in lacking a tilt control. I don't play anything lower than drop D, so it wasn't a necessary feature for me

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So I'm still considering getting a 30" bass down the line. I have big hands and can stretch fine so that's not an issue but 34" can be a lot for my shoulder to work with and my studio corner is a bit cramped feeling with the size of a bass. Would I be happy with a 30" in a studio context? I realized that if Paul McCartney says it's okay then I should shh and go for it. I just don't want to end up fighting for anything that isn't the tubbiest of tones. Not that I can't dig that. Something like one of the CME pink Mustangs or a weird Danelectro would work. Or a Hofner!

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

So I'm still considering getting a 30" bass down the line. I have big hands and can stretch fine so that's not an issue but 34" can be a lot for my shoulder to work with and my studio corner is a bit cramped feeling with the size of a bass. Would I be happy with a 30" in a studio context? I realized that if Paul McCartney says it's okay then I should shh and go for it. I just don't want to end up fighting for anything that isn't the tubbiest of tones. Not that I can't dig that. Something like one of the CME pink Mustangs or a weird Danelectro would work. Or a Hofner!

There should be some decent tone comparisons on YouTube, and I also made one for this thread if it helps you:
https://soundcloud.com/user-593859898/tone-comparison-gretsch-g2220-vs-epiphone-thunderbird-pro-v

That's with a Sansamp on neutral settings running straight into an interface. I think a short scale is just fine for recording but as always it depends on what you're looking for. I also have a couple U-Bass tracks on there as well.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 21, 2021

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
I use the empress mkII and it is amazeballs.

Really really got me over a skill plateau. Highly recommended. Plus it has a side chain input so you can like mic a kick drum and pretend you're Fred Falke. Like me.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I use the Spectracomp, which is multi-band and one knob. Tweak it with phone or iPad or PC. Or, download a new preset and change it completely. I have mine set to a downloaded toneprint that is like the default, but just a little more of a ratio and tone boost. The default is surprisingly transparent and effective.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

I have an Asus Xonar Essence II, is that a good card for recording or should I get a usb audio interface?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Apparently it has ASIO and a 1/4" input so it'll do for basic things, but you'll probably end up wanting to upgrade to a proper interface with XLR and more inputs pretty soon (not to mention plugging into the back of the PC will get old pretty fast.)

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

My pc is in my living room so that's not a problem, mainly I just want to play around with different effects without dropping a ton of money on pedals, I was more concerned about latency

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

what have i done

couldn't quite justify spending that much on a lakland for my second ever bass and my first 5 string (even thought its probably worth it). it's an esh various from 98 - super weird little thing with a piezo PU in the bridge. but i like it. the sound fits my band very well, but it's a very different beast from my 80s schecter p-bass, so i'm having a hard time making it go funky, but i'll have to mess around with it some more to see what it can do.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

What do y'all think of the Hipshot Kickass bridge (or similar)?

It seems cool, but I'm new to bass, so maybe I'm an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Expensive aftermarket bridges do nothing for tone or sustain. And, some high-mass ones add a lot of height to the action, and the only thing that will allow a proper setup is a neck shim.

Only replace your bridge if it is so lovely that it is causing problems, or if the one you want to install adds some function you're looking for.