Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My dog eats grass all the time. Part of me thinks it's habit from when he had giardia as a puppy. Sometimes he throws it up. Other times not.

Our vet said if his stool is soft or mucusy and he's eating it, that's one thing. But if he's healthy and not being obsessive about it, not a big deal.

Funny story, he's doing it as a write this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Sherlock can't go to dog parks. I can't get him back (he's too agile and is a little poo poo) and he harasses other dogs. So. That's a no go :(

He COULD do dog park when he was a puppy. We would walk 2 km to and from the dog park and spend an hour there. Daily. Sometimes multiple times a day. Plus his 30 minute walks with his walker.

Now, he gets about two hours of walkies every day, and sometimes more, depending on what my boyfriend's schedule is. We do a lot of fetch / tug inside, and training, as well. And oh god, the enrichment.

He's a high impact dog.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Gordie eats grass clippings from the mower, but his stool is always solid so I don't pay much attention. He turns 3 months old this weekend and will start puppy class on Sunday. Hopefully he will make some friends.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

So I was just in here asking questions about breeders etc, and turns out we found the sweetest little guy at a rescue, he's a Border Collie mix according to the shelter, and somewhere between 9 weeks and 3 1/2 months (based off whether you go off the paperwork when he was neutered, or the paperwork when he was found, respectively).

I do have a question though, we're trying to find the balance between letting him get comfortable with his new home (it's only his 2nd day here, and he seems quite anxious, though he's already improved since day one, and I'm aware of the 3-3-3 rule), and trying to train good habits. So far we've let him sleep on the ground in our room with the door closed instead of forcing him into the crate, not sure whether it's inevitable that you have to close him in and let him cry it out for a bit, or if proper ramping up means he shouldn't be whining or crying at all (seems unlikely?).

Also, he haaates his leash, if we take him out back and don't let him wander everywhere he wants (like under the deck) he screams and struggles at the end of the leash basically until you pick him up. We tried to let him struggle and then click and treat in the moments of silence but that only seems to work a few times until he won't take the treats anymore. I'm just afraid of him having a lot of negative associations with his leash, but I'm not sure if it's one of those things that no dog likes, they just learn to tolerate.

Thanks everyone, I hope I'm not overthinking, I just have tried to absorb a lot of info in the past few weeks, but filling in the gaps and putting it into practice is obviously hard, esp since it's our first dog.

Puppy tax:

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
My puppy has transitioned from throwing up every time he rides in the car, to hyper-producing and then not swallowing his saliva (and only occasionally throwing up).

The saliva production is absolutely insane and the inside of my car is now pretty gross. Is he going to grow out of this? It is just a car thing.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

vs Dinosaurs posted:

My puppy has transitioned from throwing up every time he rides in the car, to hyper-producing and then not swallowing his saliva (and only occasionally throwing up).

The saliva production is absolutely insane and the inside of my car is now pretty gross. Is he going to grow out of this? It is just a car thing.

Some dogs just get bad motion sickness and some don't, you can try to do more riding/driving and see if it goes away but it also might not.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

trip9 posted:

So I was just in here asking questions about breeders etc, and turns out we found the sweetest little guy at a rescue, he's a Border Collie mix according to the shelter, and somewhere between 9 weeks and 3 1/2 months (based off whether you go off the paperwork when he was neutered, or the paperwork when he was found, respectively).

I do have a question though, we're trying to find the balance between letting him get comfortable with his new home (it's only his 2nd day here, and he seems quite anxious, though he's already improved since day one, and I'm aware of the 3-3-3 rule), and trying to train good habits. So far we've let him sleep on the ground in our room with the door closed instead of forcing him into the crate, not sure whether it's inevitable that you have to close him in and let him cry it out for a bit, or if proper ramping up means he shouldn't be whining or crying at all (seems unlikely?).

Also, he haaates his leash, if we take him out back and don't let him wander everywhere he wants (like under the deck) he screams and struggles at the end of the leash basically until you pick him up. We tried to let him struggle and then click and treat in the moments of silence but that only seems to work a few times until he won't take the treats anymore. I'm just afraid of him having a lot of negative associations with his leash, but I'm not sure if it's one of those things that no dog likes, they just learn to tolerate.

Thanks everyone, I hope I'm not overthinking, I just have tried to absorb a lot of info in the past few weeks, but filling in the gaps and putting it into practice is obviously hard, esp since it's our first dog.

Puppy tax:

It's definitely normal for them to not like their collar, leash, or crate, and it may take a couple weeks to see real progress. We tried letting ours cry it out on his first day home just for a short nap, and he lost his mind, so we let him out and had to work up to keeping him in there for any amount of time. He went from wouldn't tolerate being in there whatsoever to willingly going in himself to take naps in a couple weeks, although he will still whine in there a little from time to time. I think a lot of it is just learning the routine. Those first few days they have no way of knowing if or when they are going to be let out, so it's a scary experience. Once they learn that the crate just means taking a nap before being let back out to go play again, I think they start to appreciate being in there. At least ours does. There's times when he's being nuts due to being overtired and he won't settle down. Once he's crated there's less stimuli and he dozes right off.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

MF_James posted:

Some dogs just get bad motion sickness and some don't, you can try to do more riding/driving and see if it goes away but it also might not.

We drive every day for around 30 minutes. The fact that I’ve seen solid improvement in the vomiting makes me think that we can make progress with the salivation as well. Any thoughts on how to make the experience less stressful overall? He’s loosely in the back of my hatchback with the windows down, and alternates between sticking his head out the window and drooling down the neck.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Ask your vet about motion sickness meds. If he keeps getting nauseous in the car it can cause travel anxiety in the future.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Got a chihuahua mix from a rescue recently. Why did no one tell me how cute they are when they get the zoomies and miscalculate how much traction they have? A tiny dog rolling down a hill is funny as hell.

Anyway despite being obsessive dog people he has still developed a rash on his belly. :( Here’s hoping it’s not serious, but the vet can tell us next week when he gets his next round of shots. At least he seems not to have noticed it at all.

e: are attachments broken? Imagine a black and white flop-eared chihuahua mix gnawing on an oversized stick.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Loucks posted:

Got a chihuahua mix from a rescue recently. Why did no one tell me how cute they are when they get the zoomies and miscalculate how much traction they have? A tiny dog rolling down a hill is funny as hell.

Anyway despite being obsessive dog people he has still developed a rash on his belly. :( Here’s hoping it’s not serious, but the vet can tell us next week when he gets his next round of shots. At least he seems not to have noticed it at all.

e: are attachments broken? Imagine a black and white flop-eared chihuahua mix gnawing on an oversized stick.

How old is he? The rash could be demodex picked up from his time at the rescue

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

How old is he? The rash could be demodex picked up from his time at the rescue

Or ringworm :v:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

:hai:

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Ask your vet about motion sickness meds. If he keeps getting nauseous in the car it can cause travel anxiety in the future.

Vet gave me anti nausea meds when I brought the topic up - they aren’t meant to be used frequently so it is more of a long car trip thing. Are motion sickness meds the same thing?

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Quick question that seems simple but I’m having trouble finding the answer to regarding crate training:

For the 4 nights that we’ve had our pup, we’ve kept him in our bedroom with the door closed and his crate door open. He normally chooses to spend most of his time in the crate but will move around the room sometimes. We’ve been doing lots of work making sure he’s comfy with his crate (feeding him in it, encouraging him to nap in it during the day, etc.) but we haven’t been closing him in it. We finally tried to close the door last night and he made a huge fuss and my wife was afraid we were traumatizing him so we waited for a short lull in his crying and let him out.

I’m not crazy and it’s just a normal part of crate training that he’ll have to cry it out until he gets used to it right (assuming we’ve laid the groundwork well up to that point)? There’s no magical incremental positive reinforcement training that skips the whole distress crying is there?

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

You can throw treats in and close the door behind him, then when he's done eating, open the door and let him out. Just to kind of get him to realize that the door closing doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be stuck in there. We would also shut ours in and reward him when he settled down with a chew toy when the door was closed to incentivize settling down when he was shut in his crate instead of trying to get our attention. Another thing was sneaking over and closing the door while he was asleep, then opening it as soon as he woke up and realized the door was closed, before he could panic. Just a little "yeah the door was closed and no one died," type of thing. He'll probably still whine for a bit while you work on these things, but if you're consistent about it he'll get comfortable with the idea of the door being shut, and will start to take the door closing as a sign that it's time to settle down and nap. Some dogs have really intense separation anxiety and you'll have to use your judgement on that, but you can work through a little crying and whining. If the dog still willingly goes into the crate on his own then you aren't scaring him too bad.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I got incredibly lucky with Pongo and crate training as he is very good motivated. We only crate him if he is going to be alone in the house by himself for a while.

At first he was super resistant to even go inside. After a week or two of leaving treats inside for him to find randomly as well as working on word association he started to go in willingly, and now I just have to say “Pongo, crate!” and he heads right in.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
My dog is old and a few months at most from death. He's on a medication that makes him pee a lot and he's having trouble controlling his bladder.

What should I do for diapers?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dogwood Fleet posted:

My dog is old and a few months at most from death. He's on a medication that makes him pee a lot and he's having trouble controlling his bladder.

Sorry that your time is short with your dog :(

The answer probably depends on the size of your dog and his tail situation. For my large-but-skinny dog I’ve used big kids Pull-ups with a hole cut out for her stubby tail. If your dog isn’t very flexible or tolerant of being dressed up, maybe regular diapers with a line cut for the tail? Then you could use a piece of tape to connect the diaper back together above his tail.

Edit: so I didn’t think about the anatomical differences with a boy dog, I don’t know if a kids diaper would work or not.

Joburg fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 20, 2021

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I was fostering for awhile but Im thinking maybe Im ready for my own dog? Im not sold yet, but I was thinking about buying some of the supplies beforehand and I want to know whether I can get a crate before a dog? I wouldn't get a small dog but is there an issue with a crate being too big? Like should I only buy the crate once I know the dog i want?

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Witness the most exciting 90 seconds of her life to date - there were THREE deer in the neighbor yard.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Dogwood Fleet posted:

One of my rescues was not trained when I got him and they gave a "belly band" which you'd load with something absorbent

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Reminds me of this photo of my dog and a completely unimpressed deer:

Deers know how fences work!

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I was fostering for awhile but Im thinking maybe Im ready for my own dog? Im not sold yet, but I was thinking about buying some of the supplies beforehand and I want to know whether I can get a crate before a dog? I wouldn't get a small dog but is there an issue with a crate being too big? Like should I only buy the crate once I know the dog i want?

Yes, if the crate is too big it will not trigger the dog’s natural instinct to not eliminate inside the den. If the dog is older and fully house trained this may not be an issue, but it came up a lot in my puppy research.

In other news, I think my puppy picked up kennel cough either at the dog park or kennel i boarded him with. He is vaccinated against it, so hopefully it is just a mild case.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. I'm looking for an all-in-one water bottle system for the walks with my old man, something that will both hold and dispense water at once a la:

but, as per usual Amazon, there are a thousand varieties out there and many of them can't be bothered to take a picture with an actual dog but instead photoshop them in. Makes me think dogs won't even come near those things. Are there any an actual person ITT can recommend, or is it pretty much always a crapshoot?

Here's the old man, waking up as I snuck up to take a picture of him while he was napping:

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
We have one of the second ones (or a similar style), and it works pretty well for our pooch. I don't think I've even seen dog beds from a lot of drop-shipping stores that have actual "in use" pictures instead of photoshops

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I use those small, round silicone collapsible bowls and my water bottle. They have little carabiner clips to hook onto her hiking harness. I've tried larger waterproof cloth roll up bowls but I found those too big, they needed too much water.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a new puppy and every puppy class in the area was full, I finally managed to get her into one starting next month, and they sent an email that says the following:

quote:

Please bring a leash, non-retractable, and a lot of small, easy to chew treats. We recommend a prong collar, Martingale collar, Gentle Leader, or flat collar; no harnesses. You may bring water and a dish for your dog. We are only allowing one human in the building with each dog. Please wear comfortable shoes because we will be walking during the training.

So far I've only used a harness with her because I've heard that collars can hurt the dog's neck, and the trainer's recommendation of a prong collar gives me pause (I'm not putting a prong collar on her) should I be concerned about this? And what's the best option?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Any collar is fine if used well. I use a flat on one of mine and a martingale on the one who slips out of flats and harnesses. Harnesses do not give great control of a dog. Preasure on their chest can/will give a pull instinct like a sled dog.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What about a harness with a chest clip instead of back clip?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The gentle leader will be closest to that. Turns the dog's head instead of their body on pressure. Harnesses just make my boys not give a gently caress about what I want them to do, front or top clip. I'll probably be getting a gentle as they get older and more stubborn.

I imagine that there will be correction used with any of the collars. Just be mindful that it's a correction and not a punishment and you won't hurt your pup.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I personally wouldn’t go to a puppy class that recommends a prong before the class even started. If used they need to be fitted and used correctly for training, not as an everyday collar. Puppies are babies, they don’t need physical corrections.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Dolphin posted:

I have a new puppy and every puppy class in the area was full, I finally managed to get her into one starting next month, and they sent an email that says the following:

So far I've only used a harness with her because I've heard that collars can hurt the dog's neck, and the trainer's recommendation of a prong collar gives me pause (I'm not putting a prong collar on her) should I be concerned about this? And what's the best option?

My puppy class did the same thing, and Gobi *hates* leashes. I told them that and they said “for this leash training a harness won’t work”. So I switched it, and the training was basically getting them to heel, and of course Gobi just shut down when I started pulling on his collar. He just sat down for the rest of the class. The assistant teacher started making snide remarks like “it would be nice if everyone was actually putting in effort...”

I stopped going shortly after that. Regardless of their qualifications or whatever, you know your own dog better than they do.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I personally wouldn’t go to a puppy class that recommends a prong before the class even started. If used they need to be fitted and used correctly for training, not as an everyday collar. Puppies are babies, they don’t need physical corrections.

I got mine as adults so quoting this wrt correction and a true puppy.

It may be worth sending an email back and asking about methods and such. I would have never gotten a path to something as simple as say "down" without a trainer's tip of luring through tented knees and such so it does help to have more experienced eyes on them asap. Ofc not if those eyes want to choke the dog.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Alucard posted:

We have one of the second ones (or a similar style), and it works pretty well for our pooch. I don't think I've even seen dog beds from a lot of drop-shipping stores that have actual "in use" pictures instead of photoshops

Thanks and you're right. I ended up going with a company from the one company which bothered to hire dogs and people for their product photos. That's honestly all it took -- a tiny bit of effort.

GoodBee posted:

I use those small, round silicone collapsible bowls and my water bottle. They have little carabiner clips to hook onto her hiking harness. I've tried larger waterproof cloth roll up bowls but I found those too big, they needed too much water.

We've been doing that for a while, but it's become a bigger and bigger hassle to carry on a walk around the block: we have to bring along pee pads (he has Cushings), sometimes a collapsible ramp (he also has arthritis), and there are only so many hands available.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not stoked about this trainer but the class is paid for and I'm going to just ignore any negative reinforcement or anything that might harm my dog. There are literally no other options within an hour drive unfortunately.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
My parents bought a quarantine dog last fall because they were not handling the loss of our family dog well. He's a good dog, when I'm around, if a bit needy and beggy.

But...

Apparently, when I'm not around, he can get aggressive to strangers (but not my parents), and especially to other dogs (he went after a pit bull in the alley today, unprovoked).

I don't see another more appropriate dog thread, and the training thread appears to be archived. I'm trying to find out what resources I can find for locating a suitable local trainer. My condo rental does not allow dogs, and I live about 45 minutes away from my folks on the opposite side of town, and they are aging incredibly rapidly, so I don't have the real means to either take him to train him, or to keep on top of them to do it. I'm kind of at a loss.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Aggressiveness towards people and dogs should probably see a veterinary behaviorist rather than just a trainer (although a good trainer should refer you to one if needed). You can find a board-certified one here and many now do virtual consults.

If you're worried about being able to afford a vet behaviorist or want to work with a trainer beforehand you can give a general area and I can look around at what your options are. You're going to want a trainer that uses science-based, positive reinforcement training. You want to avoid any trainer that uses a prong collar, e-collar, or other punishment for aggression. Punishing aggressive dogs can make them unpredictable and more dangerous. Usually if they talk about dominance or pack theory they're not going to be using modern science-based training and I would avoid them.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Hello fellow dog turds, joining this thread with my buddy Jarvis.

He's a 3 month old Mini Bernedoodle.

Much as I would have loved to rescue, we have allergy issues in the family, and being our first dog, we wanted a known quantity in the behavioral space.

My kids have been lobbying for years, and when I saw cracks start to form in the wife's defenses, I took over with the deal that I get to pick the breed.

He's super social already and friendly with everyone if a bit nippy because he's an as-yet untrained puppy. He acts just like a toddler when he's tired and/or hungry (read: an rear end in a top hat, heh), but he's definitely meshed into the family well.

He's so soft I can hardly stand it when I'm cuddling him.

Puppy training starts soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

Hello fellow dog turds, joining this thread with my buddy Jarvis.

He's a 3 month old Mini Bernedoodle.

Much as I would have loved to rescue, we have allergy issues in the family, and being our first dog, we wanted a known quantity in the behavioral space.

My kids have been lobbying for years, and when I saw cracks start to form in the wife's defenses, I took over with the deal that I get to pick the breed.

He's super social already and friendly with everyone if a bit nippy because he's an as-yet untrained puppy. He acts just like a toddler when he's tired and/or hungry (read: an rear end in a top hat, heh), but he's definitely meshed into the family well.

He's so soft I can hardly stand it when I'm cuddling him.

Puppy training starts soon.

Doodles are just mutts and you have no guarantee that the dog, in full adult coat, won't blow it all over your house and exacerbate your allergy issues. If they are serious, be ready to up the medical treatment (I don't know if we're talking anaphylaxis or sneezes, but whichever) during seasonal shed times.

He's cute and I'm sure he'll be an awesome bud, but "hypoallergenic" is bullshit in doodles and you got taken.