Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

yeah i don't think he was expecting oliveira to be ready and willing to trade right away. chandler came in swinging but kept his right hand low the entire time, that's where the left snuck in and stunned him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

That's the other thing, Chandler isn't as good as his push. He's a good top ten guy but probably gets smoked by the top 5.

JKong
Sep 11, 2003
Oliveira's run to the championship feels a lot like RDA's. Lots of promise starting out, but always seemed to stumble in pivotal match-ups and so they get written off. But they kept getting better over time and finally they get over the hump. Very cool to see.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

JKong posted:

Oliveira's run to the championship feels a lot like RDA's. Lots of promise starting out, but always seemed to stumble in pivotal match-ups and so they get written off. But they kept getting better over time and finally they get over the hump. Very cool to see.

I was going to compare the two. RDA, when he got the title, set the record for most UFC fights between his debut and his first tite shot at 17. Oliveira just smashed it with 27 or so. It's amazing to see him come so very far, and spending the whole time with an Overeem esque dedication to either winning in a cool as gently caress way or losing in a really funny way.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Some other fun Oliveira facts courtesy of Wikipedia:

He now has the most finishes in UFC history (not just the most subs)

He has the most combined performance/knockout/submission of the night bonuses with 14. Cowboy has 12. Best I can tell Andy is third with 9.

13 of his first 14 wins were by submission (1 decision). Since then he's TKOd 3 of his last 5 opponents. Do Bronx is cool

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I see Oliveira's protracted path to the title as a failure of UFC brass to appropriately nurture talent more than anything. I remember seeing him early in his UFC career and thinking right away that he looked like a future contender, but any time he ever got some forward momentum going the UFC would throw him in the deep end of the pool and match him up with someone he was clearly not ready for. I mean, in his first three years with the promotion that dude fought Jim Miller, Donald Cerrone, Frankie Edgar and Cub Swanson all close to their primes. If he would have been given a more gradual path into contention then I think he would have developed his confidence and skills to where they are today much faster. But instead he just got his rear end whipped over and over by division elites and I think that shook him and led to this unfortunate narrative that he wilts under pressure. Who knows, maybe he even believed it after a while. I'm really glad that he had the wherewithal to keep going until his game and mentality developed more fully. He's just an incredibly fun fighter to watch and seems like a genuinely nice guy. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does moving forward now that he isn't just bouncing off the top 5-10 over and over anymore.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I think the UFC just generally has no idea what to do with fighters in their early 20’s, and frankly I’m not sure what to do with them either except let them murder guys in the prelims for a couple years, which UFC doesn’t do, anyway

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I see Oliveira's protracted path to the title as a failure of UFC brass to appropriately nurture talent more than anything. I remember seeing him early in his UFC career and thinking right away that he looked like a future contender, but any time he ever got some forward momentum going the UFC would throw him in the deep end of the pool and match him up with someone he was clearly not ready for. I mean, in his first three years with the promotion that dude fought Jim Miller, Donald Cerrone, Frankie Edgar and Cub Swanson all close to their primes. If he would have been given a more gradual path into contention then I think he would have developed his confidence and skills to where they are today much faster. But instead he just got his rear end whipped over and over by division elites and I think that shook him and led to this unfortunate narrative that he wilts under pressure. Who knows, maybe he even believed it after a while. I'm really glad that he had the wherewithal to keep going until his game and mentality developed more fully. He's just an incredibly fun fighter to watch and seems like a genuinely nice guy. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does moving forward now that he isn't just bouncing off the top 5-10 over and over anymore.

i really don't know about this. it's not like he was just fed to sharks. the dude was good and when he was on he could have beat those dudes.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Yeah, not sure about that either. Maybe if he didn't get owned he'd never have the motivation to get decent striking?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There is an argument for throwing fighters in the deep end, since most people/fighters struggle to learn from success and learn much better from adversity. However, it's also loving darwinian and with UFC management and a chunk of the fans being scum I don't know why anyone would trust them to be the ones making any kind of judgement.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i genuinely miss joe silva and hope that giant nerd is happy somewhere far away from the ufc

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Foul Fowl posted:

a brazilian who doesn't know english was also pretty good.

The UFC Promo Institute has much work to do:
- stock the ESL library with more than Borat dvds
- secure sponsorship from Tesla before having figthers go "dude where's my car"
- better sound bytes for criticizing implementations of anti-capitalist theory

Does anyone have a clip of Oliveira going "Thank you San Chiego, I no speak English!" from an early fight?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Marching Powder posted:

i really don't know about this. it's not like he was just fed to sharks. the dude was good and when he was on he could have beat those dudes.

And yet he did not beat any of them. You don't have to fight exclusively sharks to have your career suffer for being pushed too fast. The fighters that were appropriate matches he did beat. I just think that when your best wins in your first five years with the promotion are Jonathan Brookins and Jeremy Stephens, maybe there should be some intermediate steps before you get to the biggest murderers in the division. That's what he was getting though.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

And yet he did not beat any of them. You don't have to fight exclusively sharks to have your career suffer for being pushed too fast. The fighters that were appropriate matches he did beat. I just think that when your best wins in your first five years with the promotion are Jonathan Brookins and Jeremy Stephens, maybe there should be some intermediate steps before you get to the biggest murderers in the division. That's what he was getting though.

fair enough. i can't remember the context of the matchmaking back then but i never remember anyone saying how inappropriate the match ups were or thinking that oliveira was being sent in there to die. he's always been hanging around contention.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

lol @ dariush trying to suck up to booing chuds in texas.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Southpaugh posted:

lol @ dariush trying to suck up to booing chuds in texas.

Dariush: “I dedicate this win to all those
affected by Marxist ideologies!”
Texan crowd: “BOOOOOOO!”

MMA is still the funniest sport.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Trillhouse posted:

:lol:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Trillhouse posted:

MMA is still the funniest sport.

yeah whoever posted that in the gdt had me lolling.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dariush: This win is dedicated to to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Does anyone have a clip of Oliveira going "Thank you San Chiego, I no speak English!" from an early fight?
I realized that cuz he shouts out the city, I could easily figure out which event it was.
If anyone on Fight Pass can rip his interview after his fight with Elkins, I would love to see it again.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Sorry if this was already posted.

Someone on reddit made, or linked, to a collection of delayed knockouts.

Figured it would be neat since there was some extra discussion about it.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CraftyClassicIndianhare-mobile.mp4

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Needs more liver shots where someone gets hit, squares up, then realised they're in an incredible amount of pain

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

the nick - daley fight kinda doesn't count because they were both completely hosed multiple times.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

moctopus posted:

this is cool because it reinforces to me just how loving weird the barboza one is. a count of four before the dude goes cross eyed, loses all balance, and then finally loses consciousness.

still think about that liver shot knockout from the olden days where the dude gets drilled in the liver, doubles over in pain, and when the other guy runs in to finish it he gets knocked the gently caress out and finished before the knockout from the liver shot sets in.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Marching Powder posted:

this is cool because it reinforces to me just how loving weird the barboza one is. a count of four before the dude goes cross eyed, loses all balance, and then finally loses consciousness.

still think about that liver shot knockout from the olden days where the dude gets drilled in the liver, doubles over in pain, and when the other guy runs in to finish it he gets knocked the gently caress out and finished before the knockout from the liver shot sets in.

Scott Smith vs Pete Sell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1RTGZIZ630

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

muchos gracias lobster. every time i see it i think it can't be as insane as my memory thinks it is and... yep. that's a knocked out dude knocking out a dude.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

muchos gracias lobster. every time i see it i think it can't be as insane as my memory thinks it is and... yep. that's a knocked out dude knocking out a dude.

It's the salient example of a fighter who's completely rocked swinging for the fences and turning the tide when the opponent comes in to finish.
Pat Barry x Cheick Kongo isn't a one hit example but has the same insane degree of reversal.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

It's the salient example of a fighter who's completely rocked swinging for the fences and turning the tide when the opponent comes in to finish.
Pat Barry x Cheick Kongo isn't a one hit example but has the same insane degree of reversal.

actually i just remembered a story from i think bisping who got knocked out but autopiloted to victory and came to during the result announcement. he said he was heaps excited but back stage everyone was trying to get him into the ambulance and he was saying 'no, i won, what are you talking about?' and finally someone asks him 'what year is it?' and he thinks for a couple of seconds before asking where the ambulance was.

scary poo poo.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I miss full on board shorts in the UFC lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

leftist heap posted:

I miss full on board shorts in the UFC lol

lol who was that hobo who was on a tuf that wore supermarket board shorts in an actual fight forcing herb dean to rip off the tag mid fight

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

moctopus posted:

Why would you apologize for posting a cool video? Post more.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

lol who was that hobo who was on a tuf that wore supermarket board shorts in an actual fight forcing herb dean to rip off the tag mid fight

Cody McKenzie lol he owns

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

Cody Mckenzitine McKenzie.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Goddamn I forgot how hosed up Cheick was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMAwOwBB5OQ

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Goddamn I forgot how hosed up Cheick was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMAwOwBB5OQ

i absolutely cannot believe the ref didn't call that for pat. i forgot that cheick was known for things other than punting dudes in the balls

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Rich Franklin blasting Chuck with a broken arm for the KO was pretty sick at the time.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It's on a short list of fights where I'm glad for the comeback but still disagree completely with letting the fight go on. Hell, Pat catches two hard hammerfists while staring into deep space and Miragliotta is standing right there.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TheKingslayer posted:

Rich Franklin blasting Chuck with a broken arm for the KO was pretty sick at the time.

still remember Rich wiggling his wrist and looking down at it, for a sec i though he was trying to check what time it was

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Marching Powder posted:

I thought you were talking about Charles McCarthy getting killed by David Louiseau in the first half of your sentence, but Chainsaw Charlie didn't have an epic comeback, he just pooped out his guts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

kimbo305 posted:

I realized that cuz he shouts out the city, I could easily figure out which event it was.
If anyone on Fight Pass can rip his interview after his fight with Elkins, I would love to see it again.

https://i.imgur.com/jtm4F62.mp4