Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

It takes me far too long to harvest wood in this game, because I find it endlessly entertaining to push logs around until they roll down the hill squashing greylings or greydwarves. Sadly the occasional pig or deer gets in the way also, but oh well, tasty meat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lozareth posted:

[Golems] have the best trophy though.
I'm still waiting to get a golem trophy, but so far I've been hoping to get a ton more Surtling trophies and use them as permanent light sources, even if they are dim. So there's that. As a bonus it isn't hard to farm the surtlings, just need to find a few fire spouts near each other and get to work digging.

I thought they were supposedly nerfing the passive spawn-camping of surtlings at some point?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The Locator posted:

It takes me far too long to harvest wood in this game, because I find it endlessly entertaining to push logs around until they roll down the hill squashing greylings or greydwarves. Sadly the occasional pig or deer gets in the way also, but oh well, tasty meat!

Lumberjacking is pretty fun.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Do wolves eat cooked meat? Two just kind of airdropped onto my base into an enclosed area from a ledge up top so I managed to tame them pretty easily with some sausages, but I have a ton of cooked meat from earlier in the game I wish I'd saved as raw meat (for sausages and turnip stew!) and could use it for that easily enough.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 17, 2021

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

What is the point of taming wolves in the game? Can they follow you around and help with fights?

I understand that taming pigs is for breeding/slaughtering them, although I've never done that. So far the only wolves I've seen were by mistake when I got too close to a mountain biome when exploring and they promptly snacked upon me.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Locator posted:

What is the point of taming wolves in the game? Can they follow you around and help with fights?

I understand that taming pigs is for breeding/slaughtering them, although I've never done that. So far the only wolves I've seen were by mistake when I got too close to a mountain biome when exploring and they promptly snacked upon me.
When you pet them they switch between a small-area roaming mode and a follow mode, so yeah, you can put some in your base and have them guard it or go roaming with some wolf buddies. If you wanted (and were a monster) you could also use them like boar for a source of wolf fangs/fur/raw meat if you were short for some reason.

Mostly I wanted to for fun and to see if I could. When I finish with this mountain area I am planning in building both a waystation halfway up in a black forest and a little port at the bottom of the mountain in some meadows and I'll move a breeding pair to both areas. I'm going to see if I can manage to get them on a boat too. I don't know where my next base is going to be but I wouldn't mind some friends when I go!

E: you can breed them like boar too. I have two 0-star wolves so I don't know how Valheim genetic stock works but if I can snag some higher-star wolves I'll try and figure it out.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 17, 2021

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

The Locator posted:

Can they follow you around
Yes

The Locator posted:

and help with fights?
Yes

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Valheim "genetics" are a 50/50 chance of either parent's star level. Breed two 2-stars and your guaranteed a 2-star baby.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Valheim "genetics" are a 50/50 chance of either parent's star level. Breed two 2-stars and your guaranteed a 2-star baby.

So as long as you don't think about it too hard all you need to do is capture/tame one 2 star and breed with whatever until you get another 2 star and then start culling.

Well that's kind of hosed up, but whatever.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Pretty much. Complicating factor for this is that two star wolves only spawn at night when fenrings are also running around so have fun with that.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
How hard are graydwarf nests, hp-wise? I've got a corpse right next to the 'ooh, what that purple glowy thing?' and they keep kicking my arse.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pretty much. Complicating factor for this is that two star wolves only spawn at night when fenrings are also running around so have fun with that.

Still haven't seen one of those and I've spent a few nights out so far. Weird. Oh well!

I also have never seen a sea serpent despite hours of sailing around large ocean biomes.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ravenfood posted:

Do wolves eat cooked meat? Two just kind of airdropped onto my base into an enclosed area from a ledge up top so I managed to tame them pretty easily with some sausages, but I have a ton of cooked meat from earlier in the game I wish I'd saved as raw meat (for sausages and turnip stew!) and could use it for that easily enough.

Only raw meat, and specifically raw meat, they won't even eat raw neck tails or fish.

Unkempt posted:

How hard are graydwarf nests, hp-wise? I've got a corpse right next to the 'ooh, what that purple glowy thing?' and they keep kicking my arse.

Not too tough unless a Brute spawns, and they're not an easy roll even at early Bronze, but you can take down the nest with fire arrows from range and kite the remainder for long enough to recover your stuff.

Ravenfood posted:

Still haven't seen one of those and I've spent a few nights out so far. Weird. Oh well!

I also have never seen a sea serpent despite hours of sailing around large ocean biomes.

Have you done it at night or in the rain because they don't spawn any other time.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A flint spear can take out a grey dwarf spawner out fairly easily. Draw them away then run back and hit until dead. But if your corpse has all your stuff if nothing else you can down some food, run in, grab your stuff, and get out again.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm 90% sure wolves eat raw neck and raw lox

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I think a flint axe might be better damage due to resist? I'm not sure, and wiki doesn't list resists for the nest... Either way, it's pretty quick to smash one, yeah, but if you're not expecting it it'll catch you out.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

thespaceinvader posted:

Have you done it at night or in the rain because they don't spawn any other time.

This isn't true, they're just twice as likely to spawn at night or during storms. Predictably, they're four times as likely (almost but not quite guaranteed) during night storms.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

Not too tough unless a Brute spawns, and they're not an easy roll even at early Bronze, but you can take down the nest with fire arrows from range and kite the remainder for long enough to recover your stuff.

With a fine bow that's max quality, basic fire arrows will pop the purple spawn points in a single shot.

My first adventure into the mountain biome went well. Killed a few wolves and got enough pelts to make a dragon bed, killed a couple of drakes with fire arrows (two shot them), killed my first stone golem by just blocking and mashing him with a mace, found a bit of obsidian and then my first silver vein.

Is there more obsidian below the obsidian outcropping I found? I'm a moron and didn't think to try to dig down there when I got it, and since I popped the outcropping I'll never find it again, but would be good to know for the future.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

I'm 90% sure wolves eat raw neck and raw lox

They do. I've tested both.

The Locator posted:

Is there more obsidian below the obsidian outcropping I found? I'm a moron and didn't think to try to dig down there when I got it, and since I popped the outcropping I'll never find it again, but would be good to know for the future.

Obsidian is like tin - lots of small deposits on the surface only.

Lozareth fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 18, 2021

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I don't think on my entire server we ever tried raw lox meat on wolves, it's too valuable in vikings.

Has anyone ever tried Serpent meat on them?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

I don't think on my entire server we ever tried raw lox meat on wolves, it's too valuable in vikings.

Has anyone ever tried Serpent meat on them?

I will if I can ever find a serpent.

I think the Lox or linen cape should prevent wet, or at least the Wet created by rain. Not sure how you'd make that make sense, but it'd be nice. As-is I can't see not wearing a wolf cape forever.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Ravenfood posted:

I think the Lox or linen cape should prevent wet, or at least the Wet created by rain. Not sure how you'd make that make sense, but it'd be nice. As-is I can't see not wearing a wolf cape forever.

Yeah, the fact that Vikings can't seem to invent a rain coat kinda irks me. But as a game mechanic changes unravel quickly.

My new want is a house Dwarf to do rudimentary tasks like keep all my light sources topped off. "Sir, we're running low on resin, would you mind terribly murdering sever dozen of my kin as to replenish supplies?"

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
If you're playing with the epic loot mod, you can get an enchantment on your cloak that gives waterproof to rain. It's pretty sweet to have for the swamp.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

IMO it would be perfect if the linen cape prevented wet from rain. It would give a reason to use it, and then you'd have to choose cold resistance or rain resistance.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Goons keep posting about being able to dodge trolls by rolling, but I can't figure it out. Is there some way to roll while not in stealth mode? Staying in stealth mode while fighting murders my stamina, and then, when I'm out of stamina, whatever I'm fighting murders me.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There’s a dodge button, it doesn’t have anything to do with stealth mode. You hold block and then hit the dodge button. It still takes a chunk of stamina though.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

LLSix posted:

Goons keep posting about being able to dodge trolls by rolling, but I can't figure it out. Is there some way to roll while not in stealth mode? Staying in stealth mode while fighting murders my stamina, and then, when I'm out of stamina, whatever I'm fighting murders me.

While you're blocking, jump becomes dodge.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Floppychop posted:

IMO it would be perfect if the linen cape prevented wet from rain. It would give a reason to use it, and then you'd have to choose cold resistance or rain resistance.

Especially if you removed cold resistance from the wolf chest so you couldn't get both (or somehow prevented both from activating at once). But yeah I'm mostly thinking about how you have to go back to the swamps in the blackmetal era, which mostly plays out as before except you have armor and weapons that trivialize the combat, leaving only the environmental impact. You can negate the mountain's impact, why not the swamp's? (Even if only on the return).

Visually the trollhide cape probably works best as a poncho but I don't think having it available before the first swamp is a good idea. So, linen/lox it is!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Just bring campfires and set yourself on fire constantly, can't be wet if you're on fire :eng101:

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Ravenfood posted:

Visually the trollhide cape probably works best as a poncho but I don't think having it available before the first swamp is a good idea. So, linen/lox it is!

I don't see why this would be an issue, a waterproof cape would only protect you from rain, not swimming in swamp water which you inevitably have to do in the swamp.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Sounds like someone doesn't have the hoe as their primary swamp weapon!

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fUpZLsmh6U
This boar farm was so easy to construct and work with. It took me maybe an hour to set it up and an hour later I had a hundred raw meat. For my pig farm, I found that using a spear is the best way to cull them since it's a forward attack, not an arc. Since the bottom pen will have tons of piglets, the spear lets you kill the adults, maximizing your meat output.

In other news, the gang and I attempted Yagluth and it went very poorly. For starters, we didn't have any fire resist pots. Second, only one guy had frost arrows. Then, two deathsquitos spawned and murdered us. After that, a fuling patrol. including a 1 star spear thrower, wandered into the fight and chased us during our corpse runs. But we're learning from our mistakes:
1. clearing the plains out from a huge area surrounding the fight.
2. dropping torches all over the area to prevent deathsquito spawning.
3. going to build a large fence around the area to prevent any fuling spawns from wandering in
4. building a small rest area underneath Yagluth's altar.
5. making an additional "oh poo poo" portal
6. better food and arrows

Is there anything else we're forgetting? Would it even be worth it to construct small stone walls spread out like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyenKCEJ8i4
We used that strategy for Moder's aerial phase to great success.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tetrabor posted:

I don't see why this would be an issue, a waterproof cape would only protect you from rain, not swimming in swamp water which you inevitably have to do in the swamp.

I pretty rarely needed to swim while in the swamps. I just leveled the ground or made roads.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

GlyphGryph posted:

Sounds like someone doesn't have the hoe as their primary swamp weapon!

Ravenfood posted:

I pretty rarely needed to swim while in the swamps. I just leveled the ground or made roads.

That seems like a lot of work and rock when you could just drop a fire in areas of interest.

I was only in the swamp for about two hours though, and that was primarily pickaxing sludge for enough iron to move on.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Tetrabor posted:

That seems like a lot of work and rock when you could just drop a fire in areas of interest.

I was only in the swamp for about two hours though, and that was primarily pickaxing sludge for enough iron to move on.

Level Ground works on most of the swamp and uses no stone. Certainly a lot of work, but to at least have pathways it's worth it

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I just hoe as I go as needed honestly, I tend to move pretty slowly in the swamp so I don't get ambushed by draugr archers, surprise slimes or ghosts. You don't need to actually make roads to avoid the water, just a click or two will get you across most wet areas without going in the water and being targetable by leeches.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Using a hoe to level ground and "make roads" takes no rock at all and isn't much slower than just moving around, especially if you're making multiple trips.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

AmbientParadox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fUpZLsmh6U
This boar farm was so easy to construct and work with. It took me maybe an hour to set it up and an hour later I had a hundred raw meat. For my pig farm, I found that using a spear is the best way to cull them since it's a forward attack, not an arc. Since the bottom pen will have tons of piglets, the spear lets you kill the adults, maximizing your meat output.

In other news, the gang and I attempted Yagluth and it went very poorly. For starters, we didn't have any fire resist pots. Second, only one guy had frost arrows. Then, two deathsquitos spawned and murdered us. After that, a fuling patrol. including a 1 star spear thrower, wandered into the fight and chased us during our corpse runs. But we're learning from our mistakes:
1. clearing the plains out from a huge area surrounding the fight.
2. dropping torches all over the area to prevent deathsquito spawning.
3. going to build a large fence around the area to prevent any fuling spawns from wandering in
4. building a small rest area underneath Yagluth's altar.
5. making an additional "oh poo poo" portal
6. better food and arrows

Is there anything else we're forgetting? Would it even be worth it to construct small stone walls spread out like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyenKCEJ8i4
We used that strategy for Moder's aerial phase to great success.

Yagluth's beam attack will chew through rocks with ease, and I assume walls as well. The pillars around his spawner collapsed during our fight. I don't think it works on ground though so maybe raising up chunks of ground with a hoe will work?

Get good food. Really good food. Lox pie blood pudding and fish wraps was my combo for the fight. Then the fire resist and medium stamina/healing potions.

Possibly better equipment? A deathsquito shouldn't be much of a threat if you're fighting the boss of the plains. If they ambush you and get in a bite they can do some damage, sure, but shouldn't be murderous amounts. As soon as you hear them buzzing in hold block and point towards the sound. First attack will bounce off your shield, then they stand around for a second or two, whack them and they should die in one shot.

Fulings, yeah they're gonna suck no real way around how hard those assholes hit. Maybe even more raised ground around the arena to make a wall? a large fence is just going to get obliterated between the beam attack and meteors.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Ravenfood posted:

Using a hoe to level ground and "make roads" takes no rock at all and isn't much slower than just moving around, especially if you're making multiple trips.
Good to know, I never really tried leveling since it was such a pain for an outpost I created, but if it's almost as fast as running through, I'll give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

Fulings, yeah they're gonna suck no real way around how hard those assholes hit. Maybe even more raised ground around the arena to make a wall? a large fence is just going to get obliterated between the beam attack and meteors.

I'm a fan of trenches for keeping mobs out generally. Once you've dug the hole to the depth you want, it only takes one or two swings to extend it in any direction and requires no resources.