Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Did they ever release official lyrics for the Replicant OST? I’d love to know what Hills of Radiant Wind says, for example.

I believe it's just psuedo language, ie gibberish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Agents are GO! posted:

Yeah it's all completely made up. Taro has said they wanted music that had aspects of every language, so they went for that weekend they developed their own. That's why bits and pieces sound almost understandable. I've heard that the singing and writing is able to be translated into an actual language, but I've never say down and tried.

On an unrelated note, but it's it still indigo x red flowers to get pink ones? I'm on round three of trying and have yet to get one to spawn.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Soysaucebeast posted:

Yeah it's all completely made up. Taro has said they wanted music that had aspects of every language, so they went for that weekend they developed their own. That's why bits and pieces sound almost understandable. I've heard that the singing and writing is able to be translated into an actual language, but I've never say down and tried.

On an unrelated note, but it's it still indigo x red flowers to get pink ones? I'm on round three of trying and have yet to get one to spawn.

Yes (it's a 5% chance iirc)

Edit: thank you for inspiring my garden to do the right thing

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 16, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The only thing I know about the Lunar Tear is that 1. it exists and 2. its a pain in the rear end to get. It's been mentioned in a sidequest before but is it ever explained in-game what the process of getting one is or do I need to just look it up

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
e: never mind, thought you meant life in the sands

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The only thing I know about the Lunar Tear is that 1. it exists and 2. its a pain in the rear end to get. It's been mentioned in a sidequest before but is it ever explained in-game what the process of getting one is or do I need to just look it up

The latter.

A lot of it is luck, I got mine very quickly with only 1-2 wasted harvests along the way. Some people say they try for months without it popping.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Its not even hard, just tedious and the worst part of it is the act of actually planting since the animations are so long. On pc at least time traveling is quick you just save, change the clock, then load it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I did it honestly :colbert:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I did it honestly :colbert:

i'm sorry

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Soysaucebeast posted:

They shoulda been more hardcore like the Ar Tonelico music peeps and made an entire functioning language. And add a new one for every game in the series.

No really. They did that.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
My last run-through was on hard, so on my way to ending D, I decided to turn on easy/auto-battle. And holy poo poo

:black101: :black101: :black101: :black101:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
https://twitter.com/BeefstewSA/status/1393898143784312834
Speedrun complete, Platinum acquired. Final time: 5 hours, 45 minutes.
Platinumed both games now (and I did Automata the hard way). What a ride.

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 16, 2021

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Tarezax posted:

They shoulda been more hardcore like the Ar Tonelico music peeps and made an entire functioning language. And add a new one for every game in the series.

No really. They did that.

In this case having the words not mean anything is the intent though. It's just about having vocal sounds without any actual "lyrics" because words are distracting.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Agents are GO! posted:

Soysaucebeast posted:

No I know it’s made up, I mean is there an official objective transcription. Never mind.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

So apparently I never finished the original Nier on PS3, but I finished Replicant last night. I need an expanding :qq: like the expanding :ironicat:.

:qq:"Now then... Say, how many rules are there about what to shout before dying in battle?":qq:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

No I know it’s made up, I mean is there an official objective transcription. Never mind.

I don't think the OSTs have lyrics in the liner notes so those might be coming from somewhere else, like the Grimoire, unless the sites are just pulling a fan transcription from somewhere

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I started listening to the last few tracks of the Automata OST since my phone started it up on my sleep and it just makes for real good listening and man...gently caress. It’s been three years and Weight of the World - End of YoRHAh still hits different than other final boss themes.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

I started listening to the last few tracks of the Automata OST since my phone started it up on my sleep and it just makes for real good listening and man...gently caress. It’s been three years and Weight of the World - End of YoRHAh still hits different than other final boss themes.

The most recent Final Fantasy XIV expansion had a series of nier automata-themed raids (and, by the end, drakengard-themed) and they had some stellar original music which combined songs from automata with final fantasy themes (Keiichi Okaba and Yoko Taro were heavily involved and it shows)

the first one featured weight of the world and it owns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVAgd9dbYIs

The other tracks are all amazing too (spoilers I guess but at this point if you haven't played this content you probably aren't going to, it's worth watching for the spectacle even if you've never played FF14; i think he might have snuck some actual new nier/drakengard canon in here too):

Song of the Ancients: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s833ihtGf1M
Kaine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr9OEKNbElQ
Dark Colossus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TogSk45Q3QY
Emil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD68T8ZnlBs

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second
Just finished Route D in Replicant. I’ve never played Automata but was planning on playing it next. Should I wait on Route E in Replicant until I’ve finished Automata or should I completely wrap up Replicant first?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Just turned on Nier Automata for the first time in a while to look at this new ultra HD texture pack and lmao I forgot this game has the worst default minimap of all time that I instantly locked the rotation on.

I hate it when minimaps rotate the entire map itself, but Nier Automata's manages to be the most useless default one of all by rotating the map and not having an indicator for which way is north, making it completely worthless :cripes: Like, why. Why would anyone want this.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

It's all over :cry:

On the upside, as a result of the speedrun now I have a save file I can use to enjoy the cool music and cinematics of the final level where I have a character tuned to it and not just exploding everything in 4 seconds

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

sevenflow posted:

Just finished Route D in Replicant. I’ve never played Automata but was planning on playing it next. Should I wait on Route E in Replicant until I’ve finished Automata or should I completely wrap up Replicant first?

Finish Replicant first.

You're not far from the end, and it's only small reference, not anything essential.

Automata's got some improvements to the basic combat that you'll probably miss if you go back.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Got ending E last night, fantastic game. Quick question were the administrators in ending E voiced by the same actors as 2B and 9S?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Yea

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah, I suspected something was going to happen after I beat ending A and saw Kira Buckland credited as "(???)" in the credits. But I didn't suspect it would be that, so good job defying expectations, game

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, I suspected something was going to happen after I beat ending A and saw Kira Buckland credited as "(???)" in the credits. But I didn't suspect it would be that, so good job defying expectations, game

Awesome. They sounded really familiar and the character designs were even reminiscent

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Got ending E last night, fantastic game. Quick question were the administrators in ending E voiced by the same actors as 2B and 9S?

Yes.

I'm now really curious about what this means about the designs/voices of 2B and 9S in-universe; like, were they patterned after these sys admin AIs? Was it just a coincidence that 2B was assigned to work with 9S then?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

ChaosArgate posted:

Yes.

I'm now really curious about what this means about the designs/voices of 2B and 9S in-universe; like, were they patterned after these sys admin AIs? Was it just a coincidence that 2B was assigned to work with 9S then?

Ending E both games spoilers I kind of hope that’s not the case. It could just be a nice redirect, revealing the VAs came back and promoting a connection to Automata, and have them be completely different characters. I like how the protagonist in both games seem to exist in defiance of the fatalism of the world they live in even if the end results are disastrous.

But this is Yoko Taro so I’m expecting an explanation will come forward in a light novel or maybe Resurrection.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Full automata/replicant spoilers:

Don't we already know that the 2 series is patterned after Kaine? That's why A2 is how she is. There are also canon sources for the other androids IIRC but they're from extraneous material.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I think (Ending E) it’s just a cute reference. 2B and 9S are so different from the admins that they’re basically different characters anyway, so it wouldn’t amount to much if they were the same.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Organza Quiz posted:

Full automata/replicant spoilers:

Don't we already know that the 2 series is patterned after Kaine? That's why A2 is how she is. There are also canon sources for the other androids IIRC but they're from extraneous material.

The Nier wiki says "It is mentioned in the YoRHa stage play that No2 aka A2 has the "false memories" of a young girl who lived happily with her grandmother on a farm, possibly a reference to Kainé." She definitely has a similar kind of personality

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

ChaosArgate posted:

Yes.

I can't remember if this was outlined in some of the external supplements for Nier Automata; I just looked around for a bit and I couldn't find the explicit text but I feel like I remember reading it, maybe I just made a logical leap in my brain or something. Anyway, heavy spoilers for both Niers:

One thing that is explicitly stated is that the Machine army was at one point non-sentient and then later very much became so. What I remember reading somewhere is that in their conquest of Earth they gained access to a vast amount of human records and incorporated it into their own network, and this was the point where they started to develop sentience. You may recall in Automata once you're going through the tower you find a perfect recreation of the Nier Replicant library, and they had to get that somewhere.

What Replicant E implies, at least to me, is that the memory tree thing you run through is what the Machines got access to; it recorded data from all over the world for thousands of years, the Machines took that in the war, and incorporating that information turned them human enough to start thinking for themselves. 2B and 9S look like the sys admins because all YorHa come from Machine Cores, as is revealed near the end of Automata; it's not a big leap to imply that Machines-that-look-like-Androids (and Androids look like Humans to begin with) would draw from templates in the Machine network; this also explains a little why A2 is so similar to Kaine.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Another lore question

So Devola and Popola fail to stop Nier from killing the Shadowlord and doom humanity, etc. etc. In Automata there's another Devola/Popola pair who are programmed to constantly feel guilt about it or whatever. Does that mean in the Nier Replicant time period there are a whole bunch of Devolas and Popolas all over the world overseeing the replicants in each area? Or how much of the world is even inhabited outside of the game world

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Another lore question

So Devola and Popola fail to stop Nier from killing the Shadowlord and doom humanity, etc. etc. In Automata there's another Devola/Popola pair who are programmed to constantly feel guilt about it or whatever. Does that mean in the Nier Replicant time period there are a whole bunch of Devolas and Popolas all over the world overseeing the replicants in each area? Or how much of the world is even inhabited outside of the game world

Yep, that's exactly what it means.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Organza Quiz posted:

Yep, that's exactly what it means.

Word. I'm thinking I should replay Automata now that I've played OG Nier

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Meiteron posted:

I can't remember if this was outlined in some of the external supplements for Nier Automata; I just looked around for a bit and I couldn't find the explicit text but I feel like I remember reading it, maybe I just made a logical leap in my brain or something. Anyway, heavy spoilers for both Niers:

One thing that is explicitly stated is that the Machine army was at one point non-sentient and then later very much became so. What I remember reading somewhere is that in their conquest of Earth they gained access to a vast amount of human records and incorporated it into their own network, and this was the point where they started to develop sentience. You may recall in Automata once you're going through the tower you find a perfect recreation of the Nier Replicant library, and they had to get that somewhere.

What Replicant E implies, at least to me, is that the memory tree thing you run through is what the Machines got access to; it recorded data from all over the world for thousands of years, the Machines took that in the war, and incorporating that information turned them human enough to start thinking for themselves. 2B and 9S look like the sys admins because all YorHa come from Machine Cores, as is revealed near the end of Automata; it's not a big leap to imply that Machines-that-look-like-Androids (and Androids look like Humans to begin with) would draw from templates in the Machine network; this also explains a little why A2 is so similar to Kaine.

But the Memory Tree admits to having its databanks corrupted, right? With only a few memories left.
...that part has always felt v confusing. Is the tree a shade...?

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
hello yes it's me, Pagliacci the clown who tried for a week to grow a lunar tear by cross breeding the wrong flowers

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Can someone explain ending D? who erases you from memory and existence? how does that work? and it somehow saves Kainé because ???

Ending C is great, but D makes no drat sense to me.

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

Trickyblackjack posted:

Can someone explain ending D? who erases you from memory and existence? how does that work? and it somehow saves Kainé because ???

Ending C is great, but D makes no drat sense to me.

The D ending is : intentionally ambiguous to some degree, which is a running theme for Yoko Taro's work, it's partly up to your interpretation of events. He refuses to answer questions like that whenever he is asked in interviews, and expresses wanting people to come to their own conclusions.

My interpretation is: That the ending crosses into the meta, and the person with the power to do all the things you are asking about is 'you', meaning the you the player holding the controller, not the protagonist. Most stories only have one ending, and yet you replayed events in an attempt and vain hope that something will change. The player has the power to change things, you come in expecting one fantasy only to have that subverted and a completely different power fantasy, with far more weight, placed in your hands at the end. I think all of his games have similar themes in terms of asking questions about the players agency within the narrative and asking players to make sacrifices, of their time and emotion.

That's just one interpretation, a lot of the game is also asking questions about what it means to be human, it's suggested the Replicants have developed souls of their own, separate from the Gestalts, and perhaps another interpretation would be that it's simply trading one soul for another, and the memories and everything are attached to the soul as the means of payment, an equivalent exchange as it were. Of course that interpretation relies on your belief in a soul or essence of humanity existing outside the body, which is kind of a core assumption of the game generally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've been watching a drakengard 3 LP because I never played it, and I was hoping that the cringy horniness would subside after parting ways with Five, but I've just met Decadus and it seems that I am not to be so lucky

I guess it's a good thing that this game didn't get too popular, because the fanart of him and the tall lady from Resident Evil would have gone to dark places fast