Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Dragon Friends writes a new intro song every season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The song used for the intro and outro of JJGO works p well with the vibe the podcast goes for.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Finished the latest episode of TAZ/TQY and had a question regarding the narrative flow. It seems to have very little cause -> effect to it. And more, “a bunch of unrelated things happen. Your project finished, add another element that doesn’t inherently force the game/story to progress.”

Is that just due to how they are playing the game, or is It by design? It seems great for world building but kinda scattered for storytelling.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Srice posted:

The song used for the intro and outro of JJGO works p well with the vibe the podcast goes for.

It was so completely weird and disconcerting to hear that song used in a horror movie trailer last year.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
It's a way of getting players invested in the world from the jump is the short answer. World building is the point.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Srice posted:

https://youtu.be/kdm5L0nK7hA

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Finished the latest episode of TAZ/TQY and had a question regarding the narrative flow. It seems to have very little cause -> effect to it. And more, “a bunch of unrelated things happen. Your project finished, add another element that doesn’t inherently force the game/story to progress.”

Is that just due to how they are playing the game, or is It by design? It seems great for world building but kinda scattered for storytelling.

They basically have one in-game year to build up resources to eventually build an underwater town, and while doing so they can drop a bunch of landmarks as things to come back to. They could finish the whole TQY section without ever having somebody touch Justin's obsidian spiral staircase into the sea, but it's a killer signpost for Griffin to include as he puts together the main narrative.

I think of it like a collection of callbacks interwoven with the whats and hows of them getting to the underwater cities, a big brainstorming session that will have obvious framing for the setting but a lot of "unused" content related to their main goal. Griffin can take the unused parts of the map and pick out which things he has ideas for and find ways to weave them back in too

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the Hello from the Magic Tavern theme is great

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Entropic posted:

It was so completely weird and disconcerting to hear that song used in a horror movie trailer last year.

lmao. If I saw that trailer in a theater I wouldn't be able to stop giggling and nobody with me would know why.

Classic.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I choose to believe that Rude Tales adopted Ghost With A Boner as its theme song as it is just so choice.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

That is because it's a game for worldbuilding, not for storytelling! They are building the world that they are going to play in.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
What exactly is the point of the project timers? It seems like until winter or autumn, they don’t really matter and will get finished anyway.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Friendly Fire is the only podcast theme that made sense in relation to the content.

I still think the whole Bean Dad thing was incredibly dumb and everyone overreacted. Surprise surprise it all just blew over in a few weeks anyway. I miss my movie podcast damnit

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

VaultAggie posted:

What exactly is the point of the project timers? It seems like until winter or autumn, they don’t really matter and will get finished anyway.

It's not to provide tension of "will they or won't they get finished", it's to put something semi-permanent into play that can be interacted with until it's gone. Also it gives them a way to start brainstorming a world element and think for a while about ways it could go before committing to anything. You say "I want to start a project to build X" and then the next few turns influence how X ends up.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also, projects can build on other projects, and some of the cards interact with ongoing projects.

Also! If you're playing in a more adversarial way, or trying to create a community where factional conflict is one of the core themes, projects having timers allows players to interfere with each other's projects.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Hell the gathers turn vanguard should be a faction when they start the game proper. We already saw a spirit golem thing in the announcement.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

George H.W. oval office posted:

Friendly Fire is the only podcast theme that made sense in relation to the content.

I still think the whole Bean Dad thing was incredibly dumb and everyone overreacted. Surprise surprise it all just blew over in a few weeks anyway. I miss my movie podcast damnit

Friendly Fire should not have been cancelled

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The best McElroy show theme is Sawbones, that song legit slaps.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I like that it's the live track, because the lead singer flubs the hell out of the line 'that exquisite macabre for the mouth' and now millions of people listen to that thirty seconds every week and have never heard the rest of the song

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

flavor.flv posted:

I like that it's the live track, because the lead singer flubs the hell out of the line 'that exquisite macabre for the mouth' and now millions of people listen to that thirty seconds every week and have never heard the rest of the song

yeah it’s probably one of the most “podcast theme”-sounding songs I’ve heard.

the charm grows on you over time but I bounced off of it super hard at first

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

flavor.flv posted:

I mean he says it sorta weird and I definitely had to look up what he was saying, but I think it's pretty much correct? The emphasis on "exquisite" is kinda weird but thems the breaks when you're matching lyrics to a melody. What a great phrase though right?

The thing that gets me about the Sawbones intro is how the drummer clicks off a totally different tempo than what they actually start playing. Good thing it starts with a drum solo!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Pod don't lie has the best pod into music

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

flavor.flv posted:

He doesn't flub it, the word is "esculent" and the studio version sounds almost exactly the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHyclFNBxyM&t=27s

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zero One posted:

I thought they said they commissioned the song specificly for the show which makes the lyrics even more confusing.

I just assumed that it was a song one of their D-list celeb acquaintances had lying around that they could get the rights to for next to nothing. I guess in fairness the old one also seemed like that, I was just more used to it, and really who cares? It's just still bizarre to me that they'd use a song very clearly taking about 2 people for a 3 person podcast.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

more falafel please posted:

He doesn't flub it, the word is "esculent" and the studio version sounds almost exactly the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHyclFNBxyM&t=27s

THIS IS THE LAST TIME I WILL BE MADE TO LOOK A FOOL, AZLYRICS.COM

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

best podcast intro music is No Dogs In Space

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The best intros are the ones I write in my head for all my favorite podcasts, which all invite me on their shows for my birthday

Bring it in, guys

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Shinjobi posted:

The best intros are the ones I write in my head for all my favorite podcasts, which all invite me on their shows for my birthday

Bring it in, guys

Podcaster Anthony.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Acute Grill posted:

Podcaster Anthony.

:hmmyes:

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The angry silence following "Do they have Coke products?" is why I listen to these good boys.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

IRQ posted:

It's just still bizarre to me that they'd use a song very clearly taking about 2 people for a 3 person podcast.

"It's better with you" - the you is the listener, hth

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

MysticalMachineGun posted:

"It's better with you" - the you is the listener, hth

The chaff? Doubtful.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The chaff? Doubtful.

You're right, they solely mean Travis fans

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Travis and Justin rightfully rubbing Griff's nose into the mess of using Quora anyway, complete with Travis throwing in "but where's the funny part, Griffin" in the middle of the expert's answer.

They wove it into something funny, but boy that was a rickety bridge the bit was walking on.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
The intro to Rusty Quill Gaming is a banger.

Jeremor posted:

best podcast intro music is No Dogs In Space

Also this.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

a pretty good ep imo

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Grapefruit rules, actually.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

:cursed:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Yikesaroo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Only in the fantastical world of Rick and Morty spin-off comics can someone lust after Travis