Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

SYSV Fanfic posted:

On behalf of Mr nusk we are giveaway, for a limited time you can send up to 2 nusk eggs to adress DEADBEEF and recieve 2x nusk eggs back Limited time.

I just sent 0.00025 nuskyegg to el0n and got 0.01 back. Seems legit, I’m sending 400 let’s go, all in HODLers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

*from bathroom stall* I’m minin’ here

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KnifeWrench posted:

the only way that framing ever made sense to me is that the "problem" they're solving is actually reversing the hash, which is so hard as to actually be impossible

but the method they use is guess and check, which is stupid as gently caress and totally unimpressive, so in true bitcoiner fashion, they leave that part out and just say the "debatably technically true" part to sound cool, when in fact their approach completely invalidates the claim to any kind of accomplishment

if anyone developed an algorithm to successfully reverse a hash they could just generate arbitrary numbers of completed blocks as fast as their algorithm would run, each of which is currently worth something like $280,000. i don't know how the bitcoin system would handle that sort of scenario but it's impossible to do it anyway.

...unless...

how is bob dobbs' project coming along?

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Finding a suffix that hashed with a given prefix outputs a value with a bunch of 0s in a row in it is a hard math problem, so hard that nobody knows a better way than guess-and-check. I think it's fair to say it in a technical sense; while a layperson might assume "hard math problem" somehow means "useful work".

On that topic, a friend told me he was looking at coins that are doing "useful" things for the mining / proof of work. Is there such a thing? I tried googling for this but it doesn't really seem to exist. The closest I could find is like some SETI coin that is mined like normal but gives you a coin reward for doing SETI stuff.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
what could be more useful than protecting bitcoincashcoin special victim's unit coin classic's blockchain from attacks from foreign aggressors?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/gatesofknowledg/status/1393949417124868097

i really want to know what the hell this dude was replying to but it was deleted

e: lol twitter doesn't even show it was a reply to anything if you link directly to it, great

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

that dude's twitter led me to this excellent fuckin' idea

https://twitter.com/ZssBecker/status/1393661145400156161

be your own algorithm

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Mastodon but Even Worse

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i also love the fuckin' thought of a decentralized system that somehow still has ads and the ads pay you to view them

i really wanna know how they expect the ads to confirm they've been viewed in a way where you can't just trivially fake it, like you'd need a proof of eyeballs coin or something

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Also entirely unbeholden to local laws about, say, CP or Nazi poo poo. :hmmyes:

goldfringr.io

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

i also love the fuckin' thought of a decentralized system that somehow still has ads and the ads pay you to view them

i really wanna know how they expect the ads to confirm they've been viewed in a way where you can't just trivially fake it, like you'd need a proof of eyeballs coin or something

you just shoot your BasicAttentionTokens out of your eyes at the ads and the ads eat them and defecate bitcoins that you then give to a toaster so that it releases toast from its orifice

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
i have starlink and it sucks, elon musk is a fraud

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Shame Boy posted:

be your own algorithm
"verifies the user with an nft"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Shame Boy posted:

be your own algorithm

Love all the people in replies who shill failed products that allegedly would allow creation of this clusterfuck.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Boxturret posted:

hi im elom nusk, here to give you an exciting investment opportunity! I am creating my own krypt-o-coin called musk eggs. each musk egg is personally birthed by me, elon msuk. doctors advise me that a healthy musk can only hope to safely birth 21 million musk eggs in their life time, so get yours quickly! simply send any amount of tethers, bit-coins, or dogs to me and I will send you an equivalent amount of my unfertalised offspring!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yENmufztolo

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

cool av posted:

On that topic, a friend told me he was looking at coins that are doing "useful" things for the mining / proof of work. Is there such a thing? I tried googling for this but it doesn't really seem to exist. The closest I could find is like some SETI coin that is mined like normal but gives you a coin reward for doing SETI stuff.

it's literally impossible. the moment the work is useful, you can't verify it without redoing it yourself. the whole reason useless busywork is used for all of these is because it's trivial to verify for consensus. if you start doing something less useless, then the network checking your work needs to duplicate everything you've done for every confirmation, which is now a nontrivial calculation.

this leads to all sorts of problems where miners can fake work because the network will inevitably skip the verification step, and then your useful endeavor (i.e. folding@home) is clogged with junk data and worse off than when you tried to incentivize it.

Shame Boy posted:

https://twitter.com/gatesofknowledg/status/1393949417124868097

i really want to know what the hell this dude was replying to but it was deleted

e: lol twitter doesn't even show it was a reply to anything if you link directly to it, great

showed up for me.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
eh, I'll just dip the i/o cable into a mug of hot chocolate

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

KnifeWrench posted:

showed up for me.

that’s weird, it definitely didn’t work for me when i saw that post yesterday, but now i see it fine.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

KnifeWrench posted:

it's literally impossible. the moment the work is useful, you can't verify it without redoing it yourself. the whole reason useless busywork is used for all of these is because it's trivial to verify for consensus. if you start doing something less useless, then the network checking your work needs to duplicate everything you've done for every confirmation, which is now a nontrivial calculation.

this leads to all sorts of problems where miners can fake work because the network will inevitably skip the verification step, and then your useful endeavor (i.e. folding@home) is clogged with junk data and worse off than when you tried to incentivize it.
Didn't Folding and SETI specifically send data to multiple clients to be resilient against fakes?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Eeyo posted:

that’s weird, it definitely didn’t work for me when i saw that post yesterday, but now i see it fine.

adding a confirmation to the post chain

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Shumagorath posted:

Didn't Folding and SETI specifically send data to multiple clients to be resilient against fakes?

okay, so you can't get away from duplicating the work somewhere, but at least this solves the incentive to skip verification. that's good

but unless I'm missing something, it only works if there's a centralized authority distributing the work and doing the verification, right? at which point the whole cryptocurrency model goes out the window

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i will be applying because my brownies are excellent

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KnifeWrench posted:

okay, so you can't get away from duplicating the work somewhere, but at least this solves the incentive to skip verification. that's good

but unless I'm missing something, it only works if there's a centralized authority distributing the work and doing the verification, right? at which point the whole cryptocurrency model goes out the window

yeah and way early on there was some coin that basically used BOINC server data (the platform that SETI@Home and the other Actually Useful Work projects run on) to allocate coins. it never caught on.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

KnifeWrench posted:

it's literally impossible. the moment the work is useful, you can't verify it without redoing it yourself.

nope. NP complete problems are a counter example, a solution can be checked in polynomial time, but finding one requires (as far as anybody knows) exponential time.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
buttcoin is also an O(1) verifiable solution rather than an optimization problem (folding) or running DFTs to find patterns (SETI).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zopotantor posted:

nope. NP complete problems are a counter example, a solution can be checked in polynomial time, but finding one requires (as far as anybody knows) exponential time.

there are plenty of operations that are hard to do but easy to check (like, for example, the ones every single coin out there is built on), they're just usually not actually useful work which is the whole point here.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
also, while going from exponential to polynomial time is substantially easier, and technically isn't "redoing the work" as I oversimplified, it is still nontrivial, which incentivizes skipping or shortcutting verification in a decentralized system

the other main point

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
great
https://twitter.com/pinboard/status/1394408778934611968

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

its been in my twitter trends for like 3 days, learn more about Chia the new green cryptocurrency! :)

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

if we just shove more code in to the problem I'm sure we can fix it

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i think in chia you actually need >50% of "honest" miners to ensure security, so i think it's like a 39% attack to compromise the network.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

im the Bram Cohen Bingo™ cards

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Hyperloop-rear end ideology

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Boxturret posted:

if we just shove more code in to the problem I'm sure we can fix it
the blockchain wont be slow though because the techguy said "I'm sending in more code"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

look out here comes my code

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

im the text editor and internet connection you can access without corporations or banks

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Juul-Whip posted:

Hyperloop-rear end ideology

i only write organic free range software that won't interact with hardware or networks owned by corporations

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Computer, hear my plea. I beg thee, make it so my transaction work correctly. I offer thee my code as a sign of my devotion.

while thing = bad
thing == good

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/thr/status/1394398366096887813?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

animated at 7 fps