Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

watho posted:

every time i use a wave table synth i always end up defaulting to the basic shapes wavetable and treating it like any old oscillator

I'm basic but I really running an LFO through the wavetable selection on my Braids, so it just moves between tables gradually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
After dicking round with my Microfreak (which is what convinced me to get Pigments as it's on sale and the 'freak was my first Arturia product-I am currently treating Pigments as a sort of extension of that), I like using really slow, small modulations on simpler wavetables to add a bit of movement without getting into dubstep territory. With some snappy envelopes you can get some gross solid FM-y plucky bass sounds straight off your favourite FLA album. I haven't delved much into the sampler, utility or harmonic engines yet, just the analogue and wavetable oscs offer a lot of power.
Pigments 3 is grabbing more so far than Massive X does.
Its not particularly different to either of the Massive really, or Serum for that matter. The workflow and fx section are working well for me, and that sequencer is almost too good and is great for sending stuff back at the hardware.

One thing I have noticed is it can get pretty cpu hungry and take a while to load/open, however this might be because I've got it running via Komplete Kontrol, haven't tried loading it 'directly' so to speak.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
ADSR Sounds has Melda's MTurboEQ as its free with purchase promotion this month. Here's their on sale listings, annoyingly not showing prices, but you can still sort by price. https://www.adsrsounds.com/sale/plug-ins-sale/

I'll probably pick up that SONiVOX vocoder for $15 to get that equalizer. I could always make a song more annoying with something like that.

Wave table synthesis is something I've been meaning to explore more thoroughly. One of these days I need to sit down and watch a few videos on it, because right now I can't wrap my head around it beyond pretty basic sounds.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

OutOfPrint posted:

Wave table synthesis is something I've been meaning to explore more thoroughly. One of these days I need to sit down and watch a few videos on it, because right now I can't wrap my head around it beyond pretty basic sounds.

A lot of Serum tutorials do good jobs of going into wavetable synthesis.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

any specific ones you can recommend? i love serum but only mess with presets/random flailing. i feel like i know what's going on with subtractive synthesis but wavetable and fm both leave me just kind of randomly fiddling with knobs

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Wavetable is essentially subtractive synthesis, you're just using wavetables instead of traditional oscillators. Pretty much everything else is the same.

If you think of a traditional oscillator shape as a 2D cycle (e.g. sine, square, saw), a wavetable adds a 3rd dimension of multiple different waves loaded at the same time (a table of waves if you will). For example, you could have a wave table that contains a square, saw and sine wave all in one. This gives you additional parameter of deciding where within the table you want to oscillate (e.g. you could switch between outputting a square or sine wave all within this wave table). Not only can you position at say the square wave or sine wave, you can also position in between the waves in the table and have your resulting wave be a morphed combination of the 2 based on the proportional distance the chosen position is between the 2 waves (i.e. the morphing is weighted: if your position is 1/4 of the way between a sine and square, your result will be a morph that's 75% sine, 25% square). Now, if you just set a position and leave it, everything else is very much like a traditional VA synth (especially using the example where your wavetable has square/sine/saw waves). Where things get interesting is when you start modulating the position via an envelope, LFO etc, as now your base oscillator sound can now change drastically throughout its lifecycle. The final wrinkle is that since wavetable synths are digital, the individual waves can also be essentially anything. So you can have individual waves that are already much more complex and evolving than a traditional analog wave, then on top of that dynamically morph that complex wave between other complex waves in the table. As you might imagine, things can get pretty interesting before you even hit the filter.

I'm using a wave table with 3 waves in it as an example here (and wavetable synths typically do have wavetables that are just 2 or 3 traditional analog oscillator waveforms), but wave tables can also contain much more than just 2 or 3 waves as well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Achmed Jones posted:

any specific ones you can recommend? i love serum but only mess with presets/random flailing. i feel like i know what's going on with subtractive synthesis but wavetable and fm both leave me just kind of randomly fiddling with knobs

This series gets right into it all, really messing around (and explaining) all the features. It's specific to Serum, but in laying everything out, it should give you a great understanding of wavetable synthesis.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Achmed Jones posted:

Virtual Riot has a few good Serum tutorials as well. Dude is a loving wizard in what he can do with it, and how quickly.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hey, I'm not a major person on this thread, but I was just going through old hard drives. Are there any free VSTs that anybody is looking for? I downloaded a lot of good free ones ages ago and I bet you can't find some of these anymore.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

petit choux posted:

Hey, I'm not a major person on this thread, but I was just going through old hard drives. Are there any free VSTs that anybody is looking for? I downloaded a lot of good free ones ages ago and I bet you can't find some of these anymore.

Whatcha got? My interest is piqued.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Whatcha got? My interest is piqued.

Well I was hoping you'd tell me what you wanted and I'd search these drives. But for one thing, if anybody can verify that it's abandonware, I've got the installers and codes for polystretcher, seamless looper and beatcreator. I actually bought the CD from Digital River years ago. I think these guys had to abandon their projects because of IP violations, like reverse-engineering Propellerheads' file formats. Beatcreator may save optionally in the recycle file format, I don't recall.

Judge Judy
Apr 16, 2001
Is it a big pain to run 32bit VSTs these days?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

petit choux posted:

got anything from Arc Dev?

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Judge Judy posted:

Is it a big pain to run 32bit VSTs these days?

On macOS, yes. On windows, no.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Gaspy Conana posted:

Might. If you recall the names of the individual plugs that might help too. Oh, this is Windows, I don't do Mac.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Gaspy Conana posted:

Okay, found the ArcDev Noise Industries folder. What are you looking for?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Does EnergyXT VST work all right nowadays? As I recall XT had a really nice arpeggiator built in. I also recall the head programmer went nuts.

And I think I have just located all my "Classic" VSTs from Kjaerhaus, I think those were discontinued years ago.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 6, 2021

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

petit choux posted:

Okay, found the ArcDev Noise Industries folder. What are you looking for?

Whatever you've got, really!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Softube's model 84 is a thing of beauty. Been testing it alongside my Juno 106 and it's indistinguishable from one another

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Ayyyyyy free for a limited time saturation plugin

https://www.master-tones.com/product/british-kolorizer/

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Hell yeah, gonna check this out before I drop the $50 I ALMOST just spent on Decapitator (which is on sale again with all the other Soundtoys stuff, FYI)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Hell yeah, gonna check this out before I drop the $50 I ALMOST just spent on Decapitator (which is on sale again with all the other Soundtoys stuff, FYI)
I haven't checked out British Kolorizer yet but Decapitator is 1,000% worth the $50

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic posted:

I haven't checked out British Kolorizer yet but Decapitator is 1,000% worth the $50

Yeah, absolutely. I rarely do a track where there isn't at least one instance of Decapitator somewhere.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah, absolutely. I rarely do a track where there isn't at least one instance of Decapitator somewhere.

Until you own decapitator, it's impossible to understand how it just is involved on almost everything you do.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
Is the complete Soundtoys pack worth it or just Decapitator? Looks like they’re all on sale now.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i bought the big sound toys pack a year or so ago and i'm too bad at making music to know how to use stuff

would love some decapitated tips. it doesn't seem to do much to me v_v

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Its like salt and pepper, just add a little for some flavour on vocals, drums and bass.

Before you know it you are listening to old Led Zeppelin records nodding sagely: hint of overdrive on Robert Plant's vocals really adds to the mix makes it glue together.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Moogs posted:

Is the complete Soundtoys pack worth it or just Decapitator? Looks like they’re all on sale now.

Keep in mind the plugins are old as poo poo at this point, no vst3 versions.
I don’t use much of the collection anymore and don’t particulary like decapitator (bought it for decapitator back in the day).

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Moogs posted:

I think so, but it really depends on what you're looking for. It's a great bundle of creative effects with vintage character. In general, they sound good, and combined with a decent amount of presets for most devices, it's easy to get nice results quickly. In some cases the effects have some unique features that you aren't going to find on most stock effects, and even when that's not the case, you often would need to combine multiple stock effects to achieve something similar (and probably still wouldn't sound as good, or at least would take much more effort to create a similar sound). That said, they do kinda have a 'sound' to them, which might not always fit with certain tracks/genres/styles. I love them on guitar and bass guitar. I like them on synths too, but there are more cases with synths where I'm not looking to add that vintage vibe. The main thing to understand is these aren't transparent, surgical mixing tools, so they're not a replacement for stock effects in all cases. Ultimately, just download the trial and play around with everything for a bit to see if you like them or not.

Personally I'm a big fan of EchoBoy, and would recommend considering that in addition to Decapitator for stand-alone purchase even if you're not going to get the bundle. I also tend to use PhaseMistress, FilterFreak and Little AlterBoy (recently started tossing a Live LFO on the Formant control for a cool effect) a lot. Crystallizer is really cool, but I don't get that much opportunity to use it, Tremolator too. Pretty sure I've listed over half the effects at this point (and some that I haven't listed are more just due to not really exploring them yet as opposed to not liking them)...

Achmed Jones posted:

would love some decapitated tips. it doesn't seem to do much to me v_v
I mean, at the end of the day it's just a saturation plugin. It's not supposed to do that much. While it can get pretty crazy if you turn it up to 11, when people talk about using it on everything, I think they're mostly talking about using it with more subtle or moderate settings as more of a "special sauce" to make things sound just a little bit better.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's how I use Decapitator.

My most-used Soundtoys effects are Decapitator, Tremolator, Little Plate, MicroShift, and Little Alter Boy. I really ought to explore some of the others in more depth though.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
what's a good distortion/overdrive/whatever plug in for general metal playing that's not too expensive? The gojira one sounds cool but it was a lot of money so I didn't get it. I have the AHM5050 one which was 20 bucks, it's not too bad and sounds pretty decent to me but I'd like a couple others for variety. e: I don't know much about this stuff, maybe I'm asking for a general amp sim that does metal good, I dunno.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 17, 2021

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Fortin Nameless Suite? But most amp sims are getting expensive enough that a Micro Terror Stamp isn't much more expensive for example.

Edit: sorry I missed the part about not to expensive. Perhaps the Amplitube Mesa Pack has a good stand alone amp?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I mean, I have reaper, so it doesn't HAVE to be like a standalone amp sim or whatever, or maybe it could be used along side the amp sim I have, as I said I dunno much about this stuff. I'm just asking for more ways to make guitar sound good on PC for general playing and/or recording.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

what's a good distortion/overdrive/whatever plug in for general metal playing that's not too expensive? The gojira one sounds cool but it was a lot of money so I didn't get it. I have the AHM5050 one which was 20 bucks, it's not too bad and sounds pretty decent to me but I'd like a couple others for variety. e: I don't know much about this stuff, maybe I'm asking for a general amp sim that does metal good, I dunno.

https://www.stltones.com/products/stl-ignite-emissary-plug-in-bundle

This thing is supposed to be pretty cool.

I have the Gojira plugin though, it is totally worth the money if you like that that 5150-ish metal sound. All the Neural DSP stuff is nice but yeah kind of expensive.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, I want to get it for sure eventually, but I conned myself into house buying so I'm not allowed to spend much right now. And I still need like 3 more guitars at least.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
If you have a Mac, the amp sims in Garageband are decent

Neural has two or three sales a year for all of their plugins and occasionally puts out coupon codes for individual plugins, so I'd just keep an eye on their twitter/insta

edit: I haven't used their stuff, but Kuassa has a sale going on right now and their amp sims are also highly regarded

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 18, 2021

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
If you can't afford Decapitator, Audio Assault's Headcrusher is close to it for $7. XCTR is a really nice multiband saturated for that price, too.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I asked this in the Ableton thread, and they said ask here as well.

I am using Ableton 10 Lite, which doesn't come with the noisegate. Does anyone have a suggestion for something either free or cheapish that would work on PC? I'm extremely new at this and may be asking a dumb question for reasons I don't know yet.

Thanks!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Huxley posted:

I asked this in the Ableton thread, and they said ask here as well.

I am using Ableton 10 Lite, which doesn't come with the noisegate. Does anyone have a suggestion for something either free or cheapish that would work on PC? I'm extremely new at this and may be asking a dumb question for reasons I don't know yet.

Thanks!

I don't know of any off the top of my head, but honestly I'd just search for "free gate vst" or similar and grab a couple to test. There's really not a whole lot to noise gates, as long as you have attack/release and threshold, it'll do 95% of what you need. Some will have knee or curve controls, which can be handy in some situations but you can usually live without them. Some are expanders too, which might be interesting but I could probably count on two hands the number of times I've actually needed an expander in my entire audio career.

Some compressor plugins also have a gate mode, though it can be harder to just stumble across those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
There's another Native Instruments freebie, Hybrid Keys