Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Eikre posted:

And I already have a nice VPN sitting on an Azure VM, so that's no problem.

Keep an eye on your bandwidth costs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I've been asked to configure a server for our small non-profit of around 5 people. The server will replace our little NUC running a Perforce server. I'm planning on adding a git server, Snipe-It and OwnCloud to it but not much else. So nothing too intensive. We don't have a dedicated sysadmin, just me next to my normal duties so it should be relatively foolproof. Any pointers on a good basic setup?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What's the use case? Is "use the cloud" not an option? Why do they need git or Snipe-IT, do they do a lot of development work and need asset management?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
We're a performance company that uses a lot of Unreal Engine 4, hence Perforce. We also use a lot of 3D scan data, which takes up a considerable amount of data in the projects so the cloud isn't an option. Especially because our site only has ~30mbps upload. I also want to implement a lightweight Git service like Gitea for smaller programming projects.

As a performance company we've got a considerable amount of props and assets, which are not inventorised properly so I was thinking of trying out Snipe-It as an inventory management system. I kinda brainfarted on OwnCloud, I just meant something with which to create a local mirror of our Dropbox.

EDIT:
We've got a couple of Qnap NASes that handle raw storage and backups, but they're too low powered to use for the above

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 17, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sounds like a pretty cool use case. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say. One thing I will say is that it might be a good idea to get 2x what you need and use one as a cold spare that you can restore backups to, that way you're not stuck scrambling for hardware if something dies, as a NUC is not engineered to be highly-available. In my past life, for smaller clients we used the free version of ESXi on hardware so that when we were backing stuff up it was a VM that could easily be restored to the other ESXi host.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Sounds like a pretty cool use case. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say. One thing I will say is that it might be a good idea to get 2x what you need and use one as a cold spare that you can restore backups to, that way you're not stuck scrambling for hardware if something dies, as a NUC is not engineered to be highly-available. In my past life, for smaller clients we used the free version of ESXi on hardware so that when we were backing stuff up it was a VM that could easily be restored to the other ESXi host.

All of his software can be containerized pretty easily.

If all of the applications are running as containers, and the data is stored and backed up it should be really easy to migrate to different hardware if needed.

It’s a new skill set to learn though.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, I wasn't going to suggest containers to someone whose fulltime job isn't this. But hey, maybe that's "easier" than installing ESXi on prosumer hardware these days.

Fragrag, I think the basic gist of it is that you all are kind of a special case and the normal tools aren't really geared towards you these days. But yeah, there's options!

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
I wouldn't mind learning working with containers. I've always liked the concept and I can imagine it being handy further down the line. I was looking more for hardware recommendations as I'm not really familiar with server hardware. I was looking at the HP Proliant Microserver which looks like a pimped out NUC but seems to fit our needs pretty well

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 17, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That would be really sweet, because you could put anything stateful on your NASes and then just make sure that stuff is backed up. On the hardware side, it really doesn't matter. Having something with dual power supplies and the ability to do RAID helps keep things more highly available, but you are also going to have to account for those downtimes where a non-HA component fails, so you could go the NUC route. It really just depends on your willingness to accept downtime risks.

Honestly, if you already use QNAP NASes, you could get something a little beefier and just use containers on it to run what you need. They have models that have dual power supplies, dual NICs, OSes spread out over hard drives, etc. Just again, redundant components does not mean that you don't want backups and a hot/cold spare to swap out to. Especially these days when hardware has long lead times.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

[edit: double post]

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

If it were me I’d get a proper server (hpe proliant? Something with on site warranty that meets your biz requirements) with free esxi on it. Yes doing something like docker with portainer is pretty fool proof but I think esxi and vms will have better community support and will be less of a time sink since this is an other duties as assigned operation. Also if you end up growing to the point where this responsibility goes elsewhere you’ll have an easier time finding affordable support for servers than for containers.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What do you goons recommend for conference rooms? We're slowly building out our in person office and I'm planning two TVs with Mac Mini/Apple TV, but I'm unsure what to do about a conference/bridge phone thing.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Use whatever video conference setup. Like zoom room has a dedicated phone option that uses the same gear/controls so you don't need a second set of gear.

If you really can't do that and need more desk crap sitting there, then any current conference phone setup is fine.

Of your room is a huge desk, just be mindful you might need an additional microphone.

Oh, and don't forget that hard surfaces echo audio, so if people complain that the mic sucks, that is probably your issue.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah that's my plan. We don't have anything and use Google Meet... So I guess my question is more around cameras/microphone setups.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'd start with looking at Logitech stuff. It's a good low-priced intro into basic video conferencing. Their "bars" particularly are pretty nice because they can just be mounted below/above the TV.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/video-collaboration/products

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
We have the Poly (formerly polycom) Studio X50 provisioned for Zoom Room with the TC8 touchpad.

It's big expensive and works great... When you're only using Zoom. It has the ability to reboot into a generic Poly OS and use any other conference system but it is not easy to do.

But it operates standalone so no computer needed (but you can if you want). And when it *is* configured correctly it's a one touch smooth operation.

I'd go to Logi setup above and I think Lenovo has or is about to have a good bundled setup coming out with PC and all (which Logi won't have).

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

There's a whole bunch of decent gear out there these days - the cost points are generally if you get a ptz (pan tilt zoom) camera or a fixed high end webcam.

I'm kind of sour on Logitech because they try and do things like use custom cables (extensions $200) and their drivers if needed lag considerably behind the hardware. They're a huge company so they do marketing deals with all the conference companies so that's why they are listed.

Aver is lately what I've recommended for high quality general purpose gear that hooks to a mac/pc.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

I'd start with looking at Logitech stuff. It's a good low-priced intro into basic video conferencing. Their "bars" particularly are pretty nice because they can just be mounted below/above the TV.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/video-collaboration/products

This is what we use as well.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
We got that eye camera at work and it works pretty good for like three people huddled around it, but the points about the drivers lagging behind are very true.

We tried really hard to get a grant to build out a media room but we didn't get any of them but I feel like the thing we are missing the most is the extension mic element. It sort of doesn't matter how good people look if you can't hear them.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rick posted:

We got that eye camera at work and it works pretty good for like three people huddled around it, but the points about the drivers lagging behind are very true.

We tried really hard to get a grant to build out a media room but we didn't get any of them but I feel like the thing we are missing the most is the extension mic element. It sort of doesn't matter how good people look if you can't hear them.

For all the drawbacks of the Studio X50... It's mic pickup was great even in our very large conference room.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Fragrag posted:

We're a performance company that uses a lot of Unreal Engine 4, hence Perforce. We also use a lot of 3D scan data, which takes up a considerable amount of data in the projects so the cloud isn't an option. Especially because our site only has ~30mbps upload. I also want to implement a lightweight Git service like Gitea for smaller programming projects.

As a performance company we've got a considerable amount of props and assets, which are not inventorised properly so I was thinking of trying out Snipe-It as an inventory management system. I kinda brainfarted on OwnCloud, I just meant something with which to create a local mirror of our Dropbox.

EDIT:
We've got a couple of Qnap NASes that handle raw storage and backups, but they're too low powered to use for the above

Let me preface this by saying that I am a huge fan of Snipe-IT: make sure it actually fits your use case before you go all-in on it. The only aspect of it which is really customizable (as in "supports custom fields") is hardware assets, so unless you want to track literally everything in the same category as computers, you're gonna be in for a bad time unless what you need to track fits in the preexisting field setup.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So CentOS is dead. I was looking at Oracle Linux and it looks had decent. Anyone got any experience with it?

mewse
May 2, 2006

bolind posted:

So CentOS is dead. I was looking at Oracle Linux and it looks had decent. Anyone got any experience with it?

I'd stay way the gently caress away from anything Oracle. I don't use centos personally so I googled what you're talking about and found this article that says centos isn't as dead as the community is assuming.

If you're looking for a distro with commercial support, SUSE is apparently decent.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

bolind posted:

Rocky Linux RC1, the realistic successor to CentOS for sane people, is out.

For production environments you should probably continue to run CentOS 7 until it EOLs in 2024 as long before then Rocky will be in full production. Alternatively go on and run CentOS 8 and use the roadmapped transition script to convert to Rocky once the RCs are done, presumably before CentOS 8 EOL's at the end of the year.

The steps below will convert CentOS 8 over to Rocky right now and are very likely future safe

code:
rpm -e --nodeps centos-gpg-keys centos-linux-release centos-linux-repos
rpm -ivh \
  https://download.rockylinux.org/pub/rocky/8.3/BaseOS/x86_64/os/Packages/rocky-release-8.3-11.el8.noarch.rpm \
  https://download.rockylinux.org/pub/rocky/8.3/BaseOS/x86_64/os/Packages/rocky-repos-8.3-11.el8.noarch.rpm \
  https://download.rockylinux.org/pub/rocky/8.3/BaseOS/x86_64/os/Packages/rocky-gpg-keys-8.3-11.el8.noarch.rpm
dnf distro-sync -y

Sheep fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 18, 2021

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

nvrgrls posted:

This is what we use as well.

Another Logitech vote. The Rally range is excellent.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Another Logitech vote. The Rally range is excellent.

Yeah, at old job we put rally cameras in all our new conference rooms, they worked quite well.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Print server migration question...well really more of a client migration question. Printers are currently mapped via GPO using the 'Update' option. When switching the clients to the new server I should just be able to edit these existing policies to point to the new server, right? Or do I have to set the old policies to Delete, then create new ones that point to the new server?
In my testing, editing the existing policy to point to the new server results in 2 printer objects, the new one and the old one. Same thing happens if I switch the option to 'Replace'; 2 printer objects, old and new.
Am I doing something wrong here or do the Update and Replace options not do what it says on the tin?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Pretty sure you can't remove printers with GPO, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Doesn't just removing the printers from the policy stop it from applying?
Also you can do some sort of regedit thing iirc.

Haven't had to touch printers in a minute, God bless.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

MF_James posted:

Pretty sure you can't remove printers with GPO, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Yeah, when we migrated to a new print server a few years back I just added a login script to the printer GPO that would purge any existing connections to the old one.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Oh right that's what you do!!!
https://www.computerperformance.co.uk/logon/remove-printer/#Example_1_-_Simple_RemoveNetworkDrive_

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

MF_James posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying but you definitely can remove printers via GPO. There is literally an option named "Delete". There's also another option that says "Remove all shared printer connections". I've tested both of these and they do exactly what they say they do.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Anyone here use LTO tapes?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bolind posted:

Anyone here use LTO tapes?

I did at my last job. Just a desktop drive. What's up?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Yes for backups, unfortunately. Some HP model tape deck.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I used Quantum libraries for a bit but then just got an internet connection that wasn't awful and put that stuff on :yaycloud:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
We use it for archiving, as we have fairly massive amounts of data. Also, we're afraid of the :cloud:

Currently we have a Dell PowerVault 114X with dual LTO-7 decks. Looking to upgrade to LTO-8.

I'd like to wait for LTO-9, but it seems like it's delayed at least until the end of this year, and if history repeats itself, there'll be massive media shortage for the first six months after launch.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I have a request to use DNS to forward all requests for file server A to the new file server B. Both servers are members of the same domain.

There are essentially 2 steps in this process:

Step 1 is to configure file server B to accept SMB requests directed to file server A.
Step 2 is to edit DNS to redirect requests meant for file server A to file server B.

I'm good with Step 2. Does anybody know how to do Step 1?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I think, assuming Windows, it'll just work. Can you hit the share via IP?
If you're using fancy clustering or anything it's more complicated, but not much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/networking/dns-cname-alias-cannot-access-smb-file-server-share#resolution

But the real answer is to use DFS-N