Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Spergatory posted:

So I finally decided to try Nioh.

The core combat is great. It feels really good to play. I enjoy the aesthetics and all the weapon types, and the enemies are fun and challenging to fight. I love the stances, and the way each weapon develops.

I loving hate the inventory and equipment system. Just about everything to do with it. I am positively drowning in garbage that I don't know what to do with. Every enemy seems to drop a piece of equipment, every piece of equipment has tiny randomized bonuses and different numbers, and you can sell it for Souls, but then there is forging and disassembling and materials, and I just... this is possibly the best example I have ever seen of a game where less would have been more. All this needless, brain numbing complexity only serves to come between you and the satisfying combat. Me pausing the game to check every piece of equipment to see if it is marginally better than the one I'm wearing, even if it's the same thing in name and appearance, obliterates this game's pacing. I've never seen a game get in its own way so badly.

I've decided at this point that I am going to ignore most of the numbers, because if I don't, I will very quickly come to hate this game outright. My equipment decisions will now come down to whether or not it looks cool. Everything else might as well not exist.

Yeah I don’t think even the Niohlikers will go to bat for the loot system, and afaik the sequel doesn’t improve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mode 7 posted:

I'm so close to finishing my degree that I can taste it and once all my study is done I'm going to game until my eyes fall out. :hai:

Enjoy having dreams about not knowing what room your class is in or what your schedule is for all eternity.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Nioh is great and the random loot can be totally ignored. If anything it kind of makes it easier because armor has a pre-determined weight, so you can assemble a clownsuit once and then just replace the individual pieces with stronger versions as you get them just looking at the defense stat and ignoring all of the other random bonuses. You will eventually unlock a transmogrify thing to make the armor look like any other armor piece so you can play fashion souls, too. Just make sure you aren't going above the lightest weight bracket, not getting hit because you have a million iframes is way better than +10 defense or some poo poo.

For weapons you can literally just ignore every stat except attack and maybe whether or not the weapon is blessed because thats just more damage. Plus, all the best weapons are blessed anyways.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah I don’t think even the Niohlikers will go to bat for the loot system, and afaik the sequel doesn’t improve

Pretty much, although I'll say that N2 is a bit better overall. The system is the same as N1, but the mods are clearer about what the do, they're easier to change and are generally better balanced. The biggest problem imo continues to be that any enjoyment that can be wrung out of the loot is strictly in NG+ and beyond, which is just way too long for most people to care. Until then nothing matters.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I've done this except in the reverse order

Yeah I uh, had to institute a rule for myself that while I'm actively studying I cannot be subbed to FFXIV. (I managed to knock out post-Shadowbringers up to 5.3 in a break though, suck it study).

Zaphod42 posted:

There are few things in life that give me as much of a sense of peace as knowing that I am forever done with college

Congrats

This is my second go around with tertiary education believe it or not because I want to do everything realised acting wasn't going to pay my bills am a goddamned idiot. But thankyou!

Waffleman_ posted:

Enjoy having dreams about not knowing what room your class is in or what your schedule is for all eternity.

I study online at an interstate uni so my nightmares will be online group-work related or seeing that a lecturer's lecture slides haven't been updated since 2013.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

This been posted yet? https://ignemployees.medium.com/an-open-letter-to-leadership-at-ign-ziff-davis-and-j2-global-f7171d5ad42f

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's great they did this but I really hope their jobs aren't at risk now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

5+ years later and I still have dreams about this.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I remember when I quit my teaching job I had nightmares for the next two months every night about having to go back to high school as a student and be in the class of all the kids I used to teach

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

stev posted:

It's great they did this but I really hope their jobs aren't at risk now.

Most of IGN's content is produced by short-term contractors and freelancers, their core permanent editorial staff is very small and vulnerable so yeah basically everyone who put their name on this letter is taking (a very principled) risk

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

5+ years later and I still have dreams about this.

Same except it's about teaching. Just last week I had a dream that I was teaching a new ENG 101 class and I forgot to make a syllabus and had to make it up as I went for the first day of class. I haven't taught a class in over seven years.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

After the bullshit statement this morning and former ign employees making it very clear that this was probably not their friends doing this really loving stoked to see this. More journalistic integrity than most of the major news works it seems. Happy to listen to a few of their podcasts since their hosts all signed that letter.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Harrow posted:

Same except it's about teaching. Just last week I had a dream that I was teaching a new ENG 101 class and I forgot to make a syllabus and had to make it up as I went for the first day of class. I haven't taught a class in over seven years.

one time I dreamed that I was teaching a class, I was late, and that some people I slept with when I was in college were in the class

I’ve dreamt about being late/unprepared for the first day of class a LOT

Fortunately Zoom School caused some of those dreams to subside but maybe they’ll come back when we resume in person teaching

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah, I really enjoyed Nioh 1 and 2 both but man that game has just TOO MUCH loot. It feels like a job.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

FirstAidKite posted:

I am playing etrian odyssey 4, just got to the 2nd land for the first time

What's your team look like?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Waffleman_ posted:

There was about a 1.5 year period where I only had one semester of a single class that I needed to finish my degree, but I had some other stuff going on that prevented me from doing it during that time. I had that dream multiple times a week, now 5 years after getting my degree I have it once every couple of months. It's the worst.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

LionArcher posted:

After the bullshit statement this morning and former ign employees making it very clear that this was probably not their friends doing this really loving stoked to see this. More journalistic integrity than most of the major news works it seems. Happy to listen to a few of their podcasts since their hosts all signed that letter.
just don't listen to the colin moriarty one. he sucks

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Arzaac posted:

What's your team look like?

Front: Fortress & Landsknecht
Back: Medic, Nightseeker, & Runemaster

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Re: Streaming

I haven't found a stream or YouTube commentator I like yet. I never used to consider myself some kind of audiophile but I've found that a poorly miked stream will hurt my ears more than nails on a chalkboard ever could and most streams are not miked properly. And the ones that are miked well are usually run by puffed up douchebags and with all of the recent scandals coming out about YouTube personalities just kind of turns me off of the whole medium.

I do enjoy a lightly commented LP though and I'm fascinated by speedruns.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Acerbatus posted:

No it's been there forever.

Interrupt the therapist every time you can, talk to Electrohead, tell him you talked to Electrohead, kill all the police officers in the prison. Do that all and you'll fight him after Headhunter.

KZ spoiller:

All I have left to do is finish the game in hard mode and...Hard mode sucks. There's probably a way to do it reliably but I sure as hell can't figure it out.

Cool, thanks for sharing. I was able to follow a guide and jump to the relevant sections to trigger the flags without too much trouble, but that last boss was a doozy. The hardest part was dealing with the adds in the last part, my hard started cramping pretty bad.

Of course I did all this on the Switch so I don’t even get the dopamine hit of unlocking a trophy.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hot take: streaming stopped being fun when it became about money, like all things on the internet. Those who prioritize profit on the internet should be banished forever for their avarice.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
people making a living doing what they love is cool

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

just don't listen to the colin moriarty one. he sucks

I only listen to the Nintendo one and sometimes the Playstation one. I really just listen to what's good games and play watch listen (I miss AP being on more review games based podcasts but I get why she nopped out and that podcast is fantastic even if they rarely really talk just about games).

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Walla posted:

Re: Streaming

I haven't found a stream or YouTube commentator I like yet. I never used to consider myself some kind of audiophile but I've found that a poorly miked stream will hurt my ears more than nails on a chalkboard ever could and most streams are not miked properly. And the ones that are miked well are usually run by puffed up douchebags and with all of the recent scandals coming out about YouTube personalities just kind of turns me off of the whole medium.

I do enjoy a lightly commented LP though and I'm fascinated by speedruns.

Gonna once again vouch for Vinny from Vinesauce. His streams are chill, weird, and he's not an rear end in a top hat. Sunday night streams are often filled with really weird, obscure, old, or terrible games and can be a lot of fun.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

didn't he get Cancelled

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/HBJohnXuandou/status/1394436795333447682?s=20

https://twitter.com/HBJohnXuandou/status/1394442573461131266?s=20

https://twitter.com/HBJohnXuandou/status/1394442575461814273?s=20

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

homeless snail posted:

didn't he get Cancelled

I hadn't heard so I googled. I can't vouch for any of that poo poo. Do your own googling and decide what you think, I guess. I can't keep track anymore.

There have been a few instances now of online groups forming to accuse streamers/YouTubers of things just to try to gently caress with them that turn out to be not true, not really the full picture, or imo not anything. Not saying this is one of those, and I'm gonna poke around some more, but google anyone who gets mentioned and decide for yourself, I guess.

I'll just stop recommending poo poo to people entirely, lol.

mutata fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 18, 2021

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

homeless snail posted:

didn't he get Cancelled

Nah. They tried to make a big deal out of it, but if you actually look into the allegations, he was accused of... having casual sex with consenting adults. There's some stuff about a possible STD in there, but really, the whole thing felt really nasty and personal and ultimately made the accusers look worse than the accused.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

can never go wrong recommending vtubers. if they do crimes they are simply deleted and never existed in the first place
therefore,
https://twitter.com/PomuRainpuff/status/1393793382468759553

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Started playing a game called Cloudpunk last night that I think I got in a H.Bundle at some point in the past. It's....pretty okay! The concept of a voxel-based cyberpunk delivery game is kinda fun, and even though it's pretty barebones (as someone who pokes around in game development discussions/forums from time to time it's hard to not notice some stuff) its still neat to just scooter around a city and try not to crash into a million hovercars in the process while taking questionable objects from point A to point B.

I do think it is kind of funny that the game immediately sets up 'hey here is a moral choice if you dont do the bad thing you will be punished' as a recurring plot element, but then like two deliveries later after the first one theyre like 'hey we decided to remove the penalty you got for not doing the bad thing because you delivered this one really good! congrats :buddy:' but like. If you want a game that's just loving around a city dropping packages off and then having conversations with your dog (who is an AI you installed in your hovercar) this game sure does have that.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

homeless snail posted:

didn't he get Cancelled

This one is so dodgy that even Kiwifarms thinks the accusations against him are made up. There have been a group of "rival streamers" from /v/ that have been trying to land this exact kind of thing on him for years. This one in particular was helped circulated by someone named GPM (he shared it on his twitter as soon as it was posted from a brand new account with 0 followers) who Vinny kicked out of the streaming group for stealing charity money and then afterwards got called out for having an actual convicted sex offender on his stream all the time. Two of the other three people who originally "signal boosted" the google doc have since retracted their statements and apologized saying they only did it because a friend asked them to (which was probably GPM). One person reading the doc recognized one of the accusers as someone who abused them in the past who had described this "incident" to them in the past and posted the receipts, and they don't match up at all. There's emails that come from Vinny's business email which he is not the sole owner of, so trying to hit on girls with a non-private email account seems weird, also.

The one accusation that probably has a little bit of truth to it is that he at one point hooked up with someone who watches his channel, and so how much you disagree with what he did comes down to whether or not you think he should have said no to a 25-year-old who slid in his DMs

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

These rival groups trying to take down popular streamers via sex pest allegations seems to be a new developing trend as I saw at least one other similar situation in the past year.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Why can't we just have nice things?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Gaius Marius posted:

Why can't we just have nice things?

Capitalism

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Finished up Mad Max finally. It was a game I kept on the PS4 and would chip away with as a low-engagement checkbox game. Drive around, blow some stuff up, collect some scrap, listen to a podcast. I’ve been motivated to wrap up some games that have been languishing on the hard drive for a while since when I need to make space I scan over things like Mad Max and Spider Man and Metal Gear Survive and say “oh, I’m so close I shouldn’t delete this” but then I never actually go back to beat the game.

I was only a handful of story missions away from the end, but even with a focus I kept getting sidetracked by the little things dotting the wasteland. Anyway, it’s in my rear view mirror now

It’s a real beauty of a game though, and while the design is simple it was a great thing to play and kind of zone out with. I thought about trying for some of the trophies but I don’t really care enough to seek out all the special cars.

One thing that I never could really get is where the disparity between Max‘s knowledge and the rest of the world’s knowledge comes from. Max can look at an old photograph and opine something like “a fiberglass helmet wouldn’t stop a bullet” while the goblin who worships Max’s car says “watch out for the boom-booms buried in the great dust here, Saint!”

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I want a Trauma Center game where the basic premise is that you're repairing all the damage done by the Surgeon Simulator guy. So all do your missions are things like "find where Nigel hid this guy's liver" and "collect all of the patient's rib bones from the floor and glue them in" or "get all of the glass out before sewing him back up".

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

LawfulWaffle posted:

One thing that I never could really get is where the disparity between Max‘s knowledge and the rest of the world’s knowledge comes from. Max can look at an old photograph and opine something like “a fiberglass helmet wouldn’t stop a bullet” while the goblin who worships Max’s car says “watch out for the boom-booms buried in the great dust here, Saint!”

An essential part of the mad max lore, especially from the 2nd movie on, is that he's both from before the apocalypse and impossibly young. He's more readily interpreted as a story people tell about the wandering man from the Old World than as an actual person.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mad Max stories have a mythic quality, his character is entirely "man drives the last of the V8 interceptors and helps tip the balance for a faction and carries a weight from the old world". Max knows what things are because it lets him better mourn the loss of the old world, even if time wise he would have aged out and died long ago (see Fury Road and his age versus the old women).

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Add Iconoclasts to the pile. I remember really liking this game but I got tied up in trying to get all the secrets before the end. Coming back to it, the end sequence and credit roll just served to remind me about how much I had forgotten about the game. I don’t know if I was on a good end or bad end path, and since you can’t see the whole map at one time I really had no clue where anything would be. Luckily my save was close enough to the final zone and I made the right call to go left instead of right to get me there.

During the final battle I realize I had set all three of my augment slots for extra breath because I was trying to find some underwater area when I was last playing the game a few years ago. Those augments did nothing to help me in the final set of encounters. Oh well, I adapted back to the controls quickly enough and didn’t have too many problems. Hell, after starting my night with the secret Katana Zero boss all these other fights have been a cake walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
over the weekend i played sonic the hedgehog 4: episode 1, and i don't really think i have anything unique to say about it. the game is a hollow nostalgia grab more concerned with reminding you of elements from sonics 1 and 2 than being its own game on top of being somewhat unpleasant to look at and listen to. the first two zones are okay, i did like the card-centric act in not-casino night, but there are some dire acts in the latter two zones and the final boss is just the final boss of sonic 2 but like three times longer. i'm curious to see what changes in episode 2

but before that, it's time for colors! and colors is really good! it's got a back to basics vibe story-wise which is kind of a bummer as someone who loves silly sonic stories, but what is there is super cute and the gameplay is top notch. there are rumors of an upcoming remaster and i hope they're true because i'd very much like to see what this game looks like with a fresh coat of paint

for my own sake more than anyone else's, here's a list of what i've played so far and what i'm planning on for the future

sonic the hedgehog
sonic the hedgehog [for game gear]
sonic the hedgehog 2
sonic the hedgehog 2 [for game gear]
sonic chaos
dr robotnik's mean bean machine
sonic spinball
sonic the hedgehog 3 & knuckles
sonic drift
sonic triple trouble
sonic drift 2
tails adventure
sonic labyrinth
sonic the fighters
sonic 3d blast
sonic blast
sonic r
sonic adventure dx
sonic pocket adventure
sonic shuffle
sonic adventure 2 battle
sonic advance
sonic advance 2
sonic battle
sonic heroes
sonic advance 3
shadow the hedgehog
sonic rush
sonic riders
sonic the hedgehog [2006]
sonic rivals
sonic and the secret rings
sonic rush adventure
sonic rivals 2
sonic riders: zero gravity
sonic chronicles
sonic unleashed
sonic and the black knight
sonic the hedgehog 4: episode 1
sonic colors **currently playing**
sonic generations
sonic the hedgehog 4: episode 2 (plus episode metal)
sonic & all-stars racing transformed
sonic lost world
sonic mania plus
sonic forces
team sonic racing
mario and sonic at the olympic games 2020
romhacks that let you play as amy rose in genesis games

i knew i was in the latter half but dang releases have really slowed down...