Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
THE BEST MAN VS DARBY 71 56.35%
BUCKS VS SCU 40 31.75%
NAGATA VS MOX 14 11.11%
OC VS PAC 1 0.79%
Total: 126 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Important reason to watch Elevation: Private Party has brought the velvet rope back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MorningMoon posted:

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1394454437427617794

I was secretly hoping Ogogo would go there for his rebuttal of Cody's USA USA USA promo. I just couldn't see it actually happen. AND YET.

this is really good. I really hope Ogogo is legit in the ring.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

It's kind of hilarious and I never thought about it but wrestling is the only "sport" you could go 0-34 in and still be employed.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

JD Drake's boots.

whoops not the elevation thread.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the first head coach of the tampa bay buccaneers went 0-26 and kept his job, along with some players probably. that's the closest to baron black as it gets in real life, i believe. Don't know for sure

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Baron Black should be the kingpin behind a jobber faction.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Jonny Nox posted:

Important reason to watch Elevation: Private Party has brought the velvet rope back.

I really want someone to be late running into a Private Party match because the guy won't lift the rope until they show him their ID.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Eat My Fuc posted:

It's kind of hilarious and I never thought about it but wrestling is the only "sport" you could go 0-34 in and still be employed.

Trust the process

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

0-34 means you made a lot of ppl famous so that's pretty much job security until your body gives. Elite jobber Baron Black.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Eat My Fuc posted:

Friend, let me tell you about a little franchise called the Detroit Lions.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Eat My Fuc posted:

The sumo wrestler Shonanzakura Sota is 3-229-1 over his 6 year career.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Isn't the bottom rung of Sumo more a 'hobby' than a 'career'? At least if you've been down there that long.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

Isn't the bottom rung of Sumo more a 'hobby' than a 'career'? At least if you've been down there that long.

I can't believe you'd doubt the commitment of this man to the great sport of Sumo

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

you should the lifetime records of some of the dudes famous boxers fought early in their careers

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Dimebags Brain posted:

The sumo wrestler Shonanzakura Sota is 3-229-1 over his 6 year career.

PLease tell me who he beat lmao

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Eat My Fuc posted:

he's got one win over Kenny Omega

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

MorningMoon posted:

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1394454437427617794

I was secretly hoping Ogogo would go there for his rebuttal of Cody's USA USA USA promo. I just couldn't see it actually happen. AND YET.

There is no world where calling Cody a "pissboy" is not a face move.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Anthony Ogogo rules.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
they gotta know how the average zoomer/millennial feels about America rah rah poo poo, right?

or am *I* in the bubble here or?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

smarxist posted:

they gotta know how the average zoomer/millennial feels about America rah rah poo poo, right?

I'm pretty sure that either
A) They are aware and Ogogo is going into business for himself just a bit and nobody in AEW, including Cody, cares to tell him not to because in AEW, over is over, who cares how you got there.
B) The heat, as mentioned earlier in the thread, is that Ogogo saying all this while holding a loving Union Jack.

Probably a little of both.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Anthony Ogogo for Prime Minister :britain:

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Eat My Fuc posted:

From an article I found:

Fantasy Basho posted:

More intriguing are Hattorizakura’s (Shonanzakura's previous Sumo name) three wins. One was a yorikiri over Sawanofuji in May 2016. One was a yoritaoshi over Houn in January 2019. And one was a koshikudake, the kimarite describing the losing wrestler accidentally falling, over Soga in July 2018. He’s never had a streak or an impressive match or a signature moment.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Hattorizakura lost to a man so broken down he couldn't kneel during the opening parts nor for the tachiai (the charge) and was effectively standing and just ran at him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRGR92rBD_w

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I love to be wrong. I liked Ogogo on commentary but wasn't sure if he could be a good promo and he is. Love his guvnor delivery and a bit of cockney (not full cockney wich is good). Now, if he can do a proper wrestling match he's gonna be a big star.

I bet Quality Television Marshall is going to be punched by Agogo in the near future.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Elevation doesn't feel quite a B-show, but the closest comparison I can make is that it feels like the early post-FCW days of NXT when they were just trying new things and not concerned yet about being a brand or having PPVs.

Though I feel like Elevation stats should count, but Dark stats shouldn't. Nobody's going to beat a Dynamite talent on Dark, and the name of the show indicates that they're mostly just tune-up dark matches. The stats are weird as hell anyway, but aside from Britt's fun angle of building up contendership wins on Dark, I can't see why they'd ever count them.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I think it's fine to include match stats from Dark, even if they're mostly tune ups and squashes. I feel like it adds to the idea that things can happen outside of Dynamite (and AEW). Someone's not on screen recently? They've been racking up wins ala Britt Baker. They've been preserving their no-loss streak, ala SCU. They've been fine, Team Taz is fine, look at how much they're cooperating.

It does inflate the numbers, yeah, but I feel it adds to the charm. Mox wasn't just sitting at home doing nothing for like 2 months, he's been destroying jobbers on Dark, biding his time while getting ready to get back at Kenny or the Bucks.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
idgaf about dark and elevation being used to justify the whole rankings thing and i love jobber squash c-shows because i am a broken human being, that being said its stupid af to have like, shawn spears be on a year long win streak bc he only fought geeks on the internet show

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I pray to god they drop the rankings bullshit for s3 of Dynamite

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i hope they make the rankings more important

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I love the rankings. It's a super fun way to give stories concrete stakes and serves as a good idea of who's getting featured right now or in the upcoming PPV. They were used wonderfully during this build.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Not possible

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The rankings are good, if you don't pay attention they might come off as anime power ratings or something, but the fact that they actually keep track of them for real makes them work even if I don't keep up with them. I feel like it's part of the whole "The universe exists outside of Dynamite" thing AEW is doing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Most of the time the rankings and records are just there but when I see it's the #1 ranked guy coming up, I know something's at stake. It's like a mini championship match. Two wrestlers with perfect win streaks, I know something's gotta give. Or someone comes up with a 0-6 record vs. someone who's about evenly split, I automatically wonder if he can pull off a win this time.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Considering people ITT didn't even understand how the rankings worked when a #1 Hangman dropped out, I'm not surprised some people just haven't taken to em yet. I am not saying everybody who dislikes the rankings doesn't understand them, but I still think there's plenty of adjusting to them the audience and AEW have yet to do.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean I didn't understand it either but I understood enough to know Hangman wasn't #1 anymore and oh no Hangman :ohdear:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

shiksa posted:

idgaf about dark and elevation being used to justify the whole rankings thing and i love jobber squash c-shows because i am a broken human being, that being said its stupid af to have like, shawn spears be on a year long win streak bc he only fought geeks on the internet show

I don't think I can take seriously anything related to Yawn Spears :q:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

smarxist posted:

yes.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

shiksa posted:

I think it's great to have the real sports feel of a -b-lister only fighting cans to inflate their ranks for a year and then getting smashed every time they go for a money fight.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Here's a Red Velvet hype package, and she's up against Serena Deeb for the NWA Championship next week!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ChyMdzd0XE

Becoming a real big fan of Red Velvet.

Actually, I feel becoming a real big fan of ______ is such a common AEW phrase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
fuuuck, I forgot Red Velvet did that amazing moonsault to the outside

she's so god damned good