Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
it would be so cool if this turned out to be anything interesting. i want something not terrible to happen for once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Mayor Dave posted:

China perfected the EM drive

That's really the rub of it. If China has a working EM/propulsionless drive there are a lot bigger things to worry about (from the Pentagon's standpoint) than some spy drones, and they sure wouldn't be declassifying anything about it (or publicly encouraging it's pilots to report sightings).

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

reusing a post but

WEH posted:

I always got the feeling that the O'hare sighting could've been a huge deal if more than ~12 people saw it. Handwaving the entire thing away as a bunch of people getting confused by a fallstreak hole doesn't make any sense, both because if you live or work anywhere near an airport (and especially one as busy as O'hare) in that kind of climate, you're likely going to have seen one already, and also because people in different locations placed it directly above the same gate.

Whatever the thing was probably did make a fallstreak hole when it left and the FAA just latched onto that fortuitous event as a way to write the whole thing off. Most of the people that saw it worked for United Airlines, which then and probably now actively suppresses employees from reporting UFO sightings, so the whole thing went away.

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite conspiracy theory is the one where the feds or the illuminati or whatever have a cross-country network of deep tunnels created by nuclear tunnel boring machines because it's at least plausible

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

Mayor Dave posted:

Docs Show Navy Got 'UFO' Patent Granted By Warning Of Similar Chinese Tech Advances
https://patents.google.com/patent/US10322827B2
https://patents.google.com/patent/US10144532B2

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Look if the folks on r/emdrive can't figure it out I doubt anybody else has.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I guess I also sincerely do want to believe.
Its weird. I grew up a Scully but as I age I am more and more a Mulder, so desperate for there to be any hint of something bigger than this parade of nothing to reach out to

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I guess I also sincerely do want to believe.
Its weird. I grew up a Scully but as I age I am more and more a Mulder, so desperate for there to be any hint of something bigger than this parade of nothing to reach out to

i've ping-ponged around on the skeptic's scale for most of my life and my current stance is that there's enough cases that are bafflingly hard to explain to raise the possibility of something genuinely otherworldly going on, but I also still need more evidence to say anything firm

i don't think it's inherently silly to entertain the possibility - no less a luminary than carl sagan speculated on the possibility of mesopotamian myths of the oannes being records of alien visitation - but it is basically impossible to point to even truly logic-defying cases like the zamora case and say much more than that something inexplicable occurred

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

The Saucer Hovers posted:

you may be thinking of brett tingey

maaaaaaybe

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Vermain posted:

i've ping-ponged around on the skeptic's scale for most of my life and my current stance is that there's enough cases that are bafflingly hard to explain to raise the possibility of something genuinely otherworldly going on, but I also still need more evidence to say anything firm

i don't think it's inherently silly to entertain the possibility - no less a luminary than carl sagan speculated on the possibility of mesopotamian myths of the oannes being records of alien visitation - but it is basically impossible to point to even truly logic-defying cases like the zamora case and say much more than that something inexplicable occurred

what exactly do you find so compelling about the zamora case? i've only read the wiki on it but it doesn't seem very weird?

like, if you were expecting to come across a couple of people secretively fixing up an experimental aircraft, the southwestern desert in the 40's -> present is the place to be. The blue/yellow flames coming out of it don't hint at any weird tech either.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

welp, be back in a while

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's what happened, op

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I've been hearing that disclosure is around the corner for so long that even this unprecedented poo poo doesnt move me much. On the other hand, if the relatively mundane (for the subject matter) and old footage coming out is enough to get the gears turning publicly I would bet that whatever hypothetical agency exists to compartmentalize this poo poo got properly freaked out by something changing in the last few years.

Or it's just running cover for something else lmao

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

this is both pointing towards the "we've developed secret flying saucers" hypothesis and the "bunch of spooky bastards are making up ufo stories for some... reason" hypothesis, i love it.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
all i know is i want to gently caress whatever is on board these ufos

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

fuckin lol

https://twitter.com/lemonodor/status/1394414929009160192

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The idea that alien probes are surveilling us here on Earth as being extremely unlikely isn't actually based on anything.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Mayor Dave posted:

The Execution Channel is a true story

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Also doesn't an em drive theoretically rely on sustained acceleration to achieve high speeds?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The funniest option for the UFO videos coming out is that the religious military officials who thought UFOs were demons have all retired.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Pobrecito posted:

Don't worry, they want to gently caress you too

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Pobrecito posted:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The first reported alien abduction in the US was a pair of civil rights activists. The abduction took place a few miles from a CIA base that was experimenting on using LSD to induce false memories.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Chamale posted:

The first reported alien abduction in the US was a pair of civil rights activists. The abduction took place a few miles from a CIA base that was experimenting on using LSD to induce false memories.

Wild coincidence

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Chamale posted:

Bideo James posted:

wow weird,

coincidence

e: gently caress

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Gods_Butthole posted:

The Zimbabwe encounter is definitely up there in terms of incidents that really make you wonder.

wtf this is posad af

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
the kids had images of a dying earth beamed into they loving brainboxes SAVE US POSADS

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
curious what dumdums are saying on the teevee, here is the title to jimmy kimmel video

quote:

Biden’s Venmo Revealed, UFOs Definitely Exist & Exclusive Look at The Bachelorette Men

yeah, that's basically the level of response i would expect from the general public. hum, ok, aliens exist. interesting, what's on tomorrow night?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Some spook in the secret CIA-billionaire-NSA alliance that actually runs the world got worried about China/Russia/Saudis/Antifa using secret spy planes and they want the rubes to report any potential spy tech online.

Meanwhile the Great Filters means that no species ever advances to interstellar travel or sticks around on long enough time spans to send recognizable signals, everywhere in the universe, at a massive energy cost for no real reason. It takes decades to transmit round trip, requires someone there to find the signal (who's rarity we have no real solid evidence of) and understand information stored in an entirely alien format, with alien mathematics, language, concepts of importance, communication standards and expectations, and not have it be functionally static.

As for travel, space is fundamentally antagonistic to life. We can't even reliably get into orbit, it takes huge amounts of energy and materials. Sure, there's lots of materials in space, but good luck gathering, refining, or using it in a place that is waiting for the tiniest fuckups to end you. Why would you want to go to space? Why would you develop the tech to go to another star? Waste the time and resources involved? gently caress space, space sucks.

We are alone in the universe and our world will not be saved by aliens, magic, or The Dialectic or anything else. We are currently doomed to die in the mid to long term, and you will have to face your mortality and lack of freedom in society which underlines all of these wish fulfillment dreams of space men, ghosts, or bigfoot.

Read philosophy and smoke weed instead.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
x files binch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYdC1uwO4UI

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
more x-files content: a tumblr focused on scully's wardrobe https://fucknoshoulderpads.tumblr.com/

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

tokin opposition posted:

Some spook in the secret CIA-billionaire-NSA alliance that actually runs the world got worried about China/Russia/Saudis/Antifa using secret spy planes and they want the rubes to report any potential spy tech online.

Meanwhile the Great Filters means that no species ever advances to interstellar travel or sticks around on long enough time spans to send recognizable signals, everywhere in the universe, at a massive energy cost for no real reason. It takes decades to transmit round trip, requires someone there to find the signal (who's rarity we have no real solid evidence of) and understand information stored in an entirely alien format, with alien mathematics, language, concepts of importance, communication standards and expectations, and not have it be functionally static.

As for travel, space is fundamentally antagonistic to life. We can't even reliably get into orbit, it takes huge amounts of energy and materials. Sure, there's lots of materials in space, but good luck gathering, refining, or using it in a place that is waiting for the tiniest fuckups to end you. Why would you want to go to space? Why would you develop the tech to go to another star? Waste the time and resources involved? gently caress space, space sucks.

We are alone in the universe and our world will not be saved by aliens, magic, or The Dialectic or anything else. We are currently doomed to die in the mid to long term, and you will have to face your mortality and lack of freedom in society which underlines all of these wish fulfillment dreams of space men, ghosts, or bigfoot.

Read philosophy and smoke weed instead.

The great filter was postulated as an answer to why there don't seem to be any aliens around. You can't invoke it as evidence that they don't exist.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

pancake rabbit posted:

yeah - i was into the instrumentation artifacts theory too, but then on that 60 minutes thing last night they showed these two photographs that some pilots took which afaik haven't been shown before?

drat china u got some weird lookin drones

Any other "visual" contacts that don't look like a balloon

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
I wonder why none of the recent leaks cover what happens when you try to shoot at them. I don't believe for a second that a Navy ship would let itself get surrounded by UAVs without opening fire. And if they really were a "daily occurrence" for the Air Force someone has to have tried to see if the missiles worked.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Pooky posted:

I wonder why none of the recent leaks cover what happens when you try to shoot at them. I don't believe for a second that a Navy ship would let itself get surrounded by UAVs without opening fire. And if they really were a "daily occurrence" for the Air Force someone has to have tried to see if the missiles worked.

missiles wont work because the aliens jamming fields will block the missile launchers DRM authentication signal from going through, rendering the launchers unable to launch until internet access is restored and a brief update is applied

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kCQH92g9X8

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Pooky posted:

Even the loving air force probably ain't stupid enough to risk provoking a shooting war with ET when they haven't done anything yet.

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Any other "visual" contacts that don't look like a balloon

yeah that’s my feeling…none clips shown on 60 minutes really show anything besides more grainy footage and a bunch of pilots says wow over and over gain

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

dew worm posted:

yeah that’s my feeling…none clips shown on 60 minutes really show anything besides more grainy footage and a bunch of pilots says wow over and over gain

This is what they've shown us. If aircraft start going missing under sketch circumstances, worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The idea that alien probes are surveilling us here on Earth as being extremely unlikely isn't actually based on anything.

yeah I mean why WOULDN'T aliens be exploring and watching other signs of life?

aliens are real and they are here. just accept it because it's cool and good