Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I love Wild Murloc Shaman. Diamond 8 and fun as gently caress:

### MurSham
# Class: Shaman
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (0) Murloc Tinyfin
# 2x (1) Murloc Tidecaller
# 2x (1) Murmy
# 2x (1) Spawnpool Forager
# 2x (1) Toxfin
# 2x (2) Crabrider
# 1x (2) Firemancer Flurgl
# 2x (2) Ice Fishing
# 2x (2) Lushwater Scout
# 2x (2) Rockpool Hunter
# 2x (2) South Coast Chieftain
# 2x (2) Underbelly Angler
# 2x (3) Murloc Warleader
# 2x (3) Nofin Can Stop Us
# 1x (4) Old Murk-Eye
# 2x (7) Everyfin is Awesome
#
AAEBAYHaAwLgBajuAw7bA6cIvxe3bJ3CAovOAoyUA7WYA8qrA5HkA5ToA7PoA93sA5XwAwA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

New, untested, no crab version:

### MurSham2.0
#
# 2x (0) Murloc Tinyfin
# 2x (1) Murmy
# 2x (1) Toxfin
# 1x (1) Unite the Murlocs
# 2x (2) Ice Fishing
# 2x (2) Lushwater Scout
# 2x (2) Rockpool Hunter
# 1x (4) Old Murk-Eye
# 1x (4) Scargil
#
AAEBAYHaAwTgBZvEApybA6juAw3bA6cIvxe3bJ3CAovOAoyUA7WYA8qrA5ToA7PoA93sA5XwAwA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Devo posted:

I am not a huge fan of this new Duels meta. I think maybe team 5 made the treasures a little too good at reading your deck.

Have you ever played a rush warrior that *didn’t* have “summon a 1 health copy of your rush minions” and either “double legendaries” or “rush minions cleave for 1”?

Neither have I.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

The gently caress you secret mage version:

### MurSham3.0
#
# 2x (0) Murloc Tinyfin
# 2x (1) Murmy
# 2x (1) Toxfin
# 1x (1) Unite the Murlocs
# 2x (2) Ice Fishing
# 2x (2) Lushwater Scout
# 2x (2) Rockpool Hunter
# 1x (3) Horde Operative
# 1x (4) Old Murk-Eye
#
AAEBAYHaAwTgBZvEAqjuA+7xAw3bA6cIvxe3bJ3CAovOAoyUA7WYA8qrA5ToA7PoA93sA5XwAwA=
#

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

This one hurt. The winner wasn't even Quillboars or Poison/Divine Shield Murlocs; just two golden Molten Rock and one non-golden all ramped up to over 100 attack / health.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I use devolving missiles against a clock giant and nothing happens to it. Why?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Mayveena posted:

No 11 mana minions in standard, I'm guessing without checking.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

gandlethorpe posted:

No 11 mana minions in standard, I'm guessing without checking.

So basically it's an exploit. Guess I should get one of those pronto.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Mayveena posted:

If I had to guess, the problem is that (as far as I know) there aren't any 11 cost minions in standard right now. So, Devolving Missiles knocks it down to an 11 mana card, there aren't any 11 mana cards so it rounds up to 12 which only has Clockwork Giant, and then it repeats two more times. It's a weird situation, but it barely ever comes up and it'll only get fixed if they make more giants. Assuming I'm not forgetting a random giant in standard that actually works for this, of course.

(If you're playing in Wild, I have no idea but I assume it's just because they don't test how devolution works for minions with mana costs higher than 10 very often.)

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
In wild it would devolve into a Snowfury giant, so it's an 11-mana problem.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Shockeh posted:

Poison Rogue has now carried me from Plat 10 to Diamond 7, in straight consecutive wins, including sealing 12 in a row off my Achievements. Deck is good, and super rewards never playing anything that doesn’t benefit you enough.

One Hunter was even running double Acidic (wtf) and still couldn’t hold me off. I don’t think there’s a single slot I’d change at this point, everything has a purpose.

### Poison
# Class: Rogue
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Preparation
# 2x (1) Deadly Poison
# 2x (1) Paralytic Poison
# 2x (1) Prize Plunderer
# 2x (1) Secret Passage
# 2x (1) Sinister Strike
# 2x (2) Silverleaf Poison
# 2x (2) Swindle
# 2x (2) Wandmaker
# 2x (2) Wicked Stab (Rank 1)
# 2x (3) Cloak of Shadows
# 1x (3) Coerce
# 2x (3) Self-Sharpening Sword
# 2x (3) Swinetusk Shank
# 1x (4) Apothecary Helbrim
# 2x (5) Cutting Class
#
AAECAZurBAKK0AOv6wMOqssD/tED1dQD99QD4t0D590D890DqesDqusDrOsDresDkp8ElJ8E958EAA==
#

You're pretty much hosed if they play an Ogremancer aren't you? I don't normally play Rogue, but I like this deck....however, at this point if I see an Ogremancer come out I just concede.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Most of the minions it could devolve into are stronger than or equal to a vanilla 8/8 anyway.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Mayveena posted:

https://twitter.com/wiRerHS/status/1394088935509344258
:getin:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Illuminti posted:

You're pretty much hosed if they play an Ogremancer aren't you? I don't normally play Rogue, but I like this deck....however, at this point if I see an Ogremancer come out I just concede.

Yes, you need to be planning for a way to do 7 damage on T5 without dropping more Spells for it. But otherwise, you're probably due to fold.

E: well, not going past D5 this month, because it is a loving barren wasteland of Paladin and nothing else. At least the counter deck you can build that loses to everything else keeps it I- oh, there isn’t one? Get hosed, play Yellow cards or lose? Your ‘nerf’ hit it where it doesn’t care, and overall made it stronger? Excellent.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 17, 2021

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Probably not consistent enough to be good but this is a really cool OTK deck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrTiZnd6KtM

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

It's a really cute tech. I've watched a lot of GMs and honestly in Priest games I can hardly see reason why Clockwork isn't just strictly better than Flesh Giant a lot of the time. Obviously it gives you space to cut Devouring Plague and be greedier which isn't so great against hard aggro decks like Face Hunter/Token Druid, but for Control vs Control (or even decks that gather lots of resources in hand like Mage/Rush Warrior) the mana concerns are nothing and devouring is near useless too. Resilience against Devolving isn't nothing either. I've seen several games where Giants get devolved into getting Apexis'd. I've yet to see a game (iirc) where Flesh Giant was dropped and achieved anything.

There were some really good GM games last week. Definitely the best week this season in terms of close and/or intricate games, one of the best I can remember.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

RatHat posted:

Probably not consistent enough to be good but this is a really cool OTK deck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrTiZnd6KtM

I'd much rather lose against this OTK than another loving mage.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
For a total of zero mana my mage opponent drew eight cards, killed my 11/11 minion and dealt 7 damage to me. He also added three minions to his hand and reduced the cost of the few spells remaining in his deck, but that hardly mattered

peer fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 17, 2021

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

sirtommygunn posted:

Most of the minions it could devolve into are stronger than or equal to a vanilla 8/8 anyway.

True, but Devolve effects are also often played as a pseudo- Silence to get around anything they might've enchanted the minion with. So that's definitely still kinda weird.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Mayveena posted:

How is that an exploit, it follows the exact same logic of what happens if you try to devolve a 0 Mana minion

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Troublemaker Druid that's a new one for me (yeah I know it was random but):

https://hsreplay.net/replay/AMbzUmd83sbVMd9P9rxBoF

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Orange Crush Rush posted:

How is that an exploit, it follows the exact same logic of what happens if you try to devolve a 0 Mana minion

Right. Except that is obvious, you can't devolve a zero cost minion. The reason clockwork giant can't be devolved is not obvious and is basically arbitrary. If Team 5 introduces 11 cost minions at some point then clockwork giant would devolve. I thought about it more, and I think IF you're going to run a giant in this meta, you should run clockwork giant anyway. Big hands seem to be dominating this meta, so unless you run into a hunter you can get a giant cheap. And it comes with extra 'benefit' of not being able to be devolved using these current cards.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I really like Xyrella's last portrait but they got rid of the "such skill" emote so I'll probably have to stick with the first one.

Ol' Limber Legs
Nov 20, 2002

PLEASE KILL ME NOW

AnacondaHL posted:

I'm not sure this is the case this time around.

Removing Crab Rider while giving Paladin more value with First Day opened the door for Secret Libram Paladin to shine, and there doesn't seem to be any natural predator created by the buffs or other nerfs. Current stats from Top 1k Legend and MTQs is projecting that Paladin is here to stay.

Hey, great call. I’ve spent all month playing ping pong between gold 9 and 6. Pulling out this boring old deck finally got me past 5.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Deathrattle DH is so fun, Blackthorn is actually half decent even if he only pulls Razorboars or something. Illidari Inquisitors are an excellent finisher.

Still gets destroyed but man. It's fun.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I'm sort of having the opposite experience where I go in and it's another sort of hand/miracle/control deck and it's intensely boring to play against. I actually just pushed the button and went face 5 times against a rogue because I didn't have anything I could play on my token druid (all the buffs, none of the minions) and he couldn't really do anything because the board was empty?

That doesn't feel right to me. Board should matter but it feels so trivial to clear it that why even bother playing any deck with minions? Just load up with spells and pelt each other in the face until HP hits 0. I actively dread dailies of the "play 3 matches as XYZ" type or the weekly win 5 ranked matches because ranked is such a snoozefest and I can't wait to go back to Battlegrounds where it's faster and more fun. Am I alone in feeling like this?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Arena vs duels: what’s an easier/better chance of return on my free tavern tickets? Way back during League of Explorers I was halfway decent at Arena (I think an honest 5.5 average, sometimes better streaks) but I don’t have the faintest idea now. Just do whichever seems more fun and.call anything over the free pack a bonus?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

DeadButDelicious posted:

I'm sort of having the opposite experience where I go in and it's another sort of hand/miracle/control deck and it's intensely boring to play against. I actually just pushed the button and went face 5 times against a rogue because I didn't have anything I could play on my token druid (all the buffs, none of the minions) and he couldn't really do anything because the board was empty?

That doesn't feel right to me. Board should matter but it feels so trivial to clear it that why even bother playing any deck with minions? Just load up with spells and pelt each other in the face until HP hits 0. I actively dread dailies of the "play 3 matches as XYZ" type or the weekly win 5 ranked matches because ranked is such a snoozefest and I can't wait to go back to Battlegrounds where it's faster and more fun. Am I alone in feeling like this?

Nope, I think it's the most common complaint in this meta that it feels like the board doesn't matter. Hell, even playing a board full of 8 8 taunt clowns only lasts 1 turn cause usually your opponent has an answer to clear them all off.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

idiotsavant posted:

Arena vs duels: what’s an easier/better chance of return on my free tavern tickets? Way back during League of Explorers I was halfway decent at Arena (I think an honest 5.5 average, sometimes better streaks) but I don’t have the faintest idea now. Just do whichever seems more fun and.call anything over the free pack a bonus?

In fairness I haven't played Duels in a long while, but if you were a winning player in Arena, your fundamentals will take you further than they will in Duels. Duels depends drastically on what classes you are offered (Arena also, but less) and what treasures you get given. Obviously there is draft RNG in Arena too, but it's to a lesser extent, and there is skill in drafting a workable deck.

I would just do whatever I felt would be more fun though. But if you want a higher chance at earning gold, Arena is the ticket. There's about 5 decent classes right now, check HSReplay stats to see. Only 2 in Duels.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Acerbatus posted:

Deathrattle DH is so fun, Blackthorn is actually half decent even if he only pulls Razorboars or something. Illidari Inquisitors are an excellent finisher.

Still gets destroyed but man. It's fun.

I worked on this deck a bit because there is still a lot of room for potential and I'm looking for a better 3rd deck to match with Paladin and Warrior.

Current list work-in-progress:

### Deathrattle DH
# Class: Demon Hunter
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (1) Fury (Rank 1)
# 2x (1) Illidari Studies
# 2x (1) Tuskpiercer
# 2x (2) Razorboar
# 2x (2) Sneaky Delinquent
# 1x (3) Ace Hunter Kreen
# 2x (3) Aldrachi Warblades
# 2x (3) Death's Head Cultist
# 2x (3) Razorfen Beastmaster
# 2x (3) Relentless Pursuit
# 1x (4) Fishy Flyer
# 1x (4) Kurtrus Ashfallen
# 2x (4) Renowned Performer
# 2x (6) Bladed Lady
# 2x (6) Skull of Gul'dan
# 1x (7) Death Speaker Blackthorn
# 2x (8) Illidari Inquisitor
#
AAECAea5AwSH1APj1AO/7QOc7gMN2cYDitQDxd0Dyd0DzN0D8+MDmOoDu+0DvO0D/e0DwvEDgIUEg58EAA==
#

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

idiotsavant posted:

In addition to what Jeza said, the main difference in my experience is that if you have a good collection it's pretty easy to get to that 3-win breakpoint in Duels where you're getting about as much as it cost you, but it's much harder to get to the point where it's reliably paying for itself. If you're good at building Arena decks, do that because Arena has much less weird bullshit going on. If you're bad at it like I am, just play Duels and get your 3-4 wins.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

idiotsavant posted:

If you go duels and get Rattlegore. Just play this deck

AAEBAQcP/weNDoKtAsO2AuLMA4rQA5PQA7XeA7beA4DkA5LkA6yfBIegBIigBIugBAAA

With Scrapmetal demolitionist and Magnetic Mines. Near impossible not to get 3 wins. After that it becomes a lot more reliant on you being offered armour based cards so you can keep up with deck size increase.

Chernabog posted:

I really like Xyrella's last portrait but they got rid of the "such skill" emote so I'll probably have to stick with the first one.

Same.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Arena warrior is so much fun when you get a good draft

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Is battlegrounds unplayable on mobile for everyone now or is it just me

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It's almost unplayable. But Quillboars isn't that high apm so you can win. I reckon elementals or murlocs is the worst for mobile because you want to play a lot of them per turn for either the Majorodomo or battlecries. Maybe Pirates would be bad too, because I think the idea is that you can buy lots of pirates with capn hoggar.But you just have some some par turns sometimes, and can get top 4 still fine.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I'm not even talking about the APM stuff, it's just totally laggy and unresponsive once you get to turn 3 or 4. Normal ranked play is still fine.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Haven't had a problem here. Usually the high APM builds are trouble but they usually only get out of hand if you're late game and in the top 4 anyway.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Toebone posted:

I'm not even talking about the APM stuff, it's just totally laggy and unresponsive once you get to turn 3 or 4. Normal ranked play is still fine.

I get this on my phone - it seems to get worse as I play more games too. Standard is usually bearable but more than 1 game of battlegrounds and even non-APM builds are painful..

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Flat Tusk + Hogarr is probably the highest APM build.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

WARNING: Boring Arena stuff

I know nobody really cares about Arena (except bloom) but I wanted somewhere to brag about this 12 win run and so I'm going to one-sidedly ramble to this thread.

This is our boy:

One good single-target spell (Hysteria) that is anti-synergy with the deck. No lategame. Minimal unconditional value generation. Garbage minion quality. No real way to pressure with minions or capitalise on early game tempo (one six attack minion, then maxes out at 4 damage) or burn. Certifiable brick topdecks like Desk Imp, Rafaam's Scheme, Ritual of Doom etc. Soul Fragments with no synergy payoff. The list goes on.

I even plugged it into Heartharena which I haven't used since 2017 just so I could see the tierscore, and it was flat the bottom rated 12 win deck from the 2 years of runs on there and close to the bottom of the pile of any deck I had drafted. And frankly, its score was inflated by the 'good on paper, trash in reality' synergies it measures like "Cast Grimoire of Sacrifice on your Ring Matron!".

The only win condition in the deck is get on board early and continually flood it with garbage and hope to exhaust your opponents, then just outdraw them with Warlock HP and hope you Discover into anything that can actually win you the game. Almost wholly reliant on the game going to Turn 10 or later because you need the Darkmoon Rabbit to just blow out the massive board they will inevitably put up.

All that being said, there is a sort of compelling wholeness to the deck. Yeah, it has a lot of lovely cards. But those lovely cards play off each other just enough to scrape by. Vectus (optimistically chosen over the much higher-rated Mankrik) really shines. It was extremely fun seat-of-pants gameplay throughout.

Overall, this was probably the sickest Arena run I've ever had in ~5 years of Arena. Almost every game was an absurd slugfest. Went to fatigue or near it multiple times, not common in Arena and especially not common with a non-Control style archetype. This run has single-handedly boosted Ritual of Doom from a negative to starkly positive winrate on HSReplay because it comprises like 25% of all the times it has been played post-patch.

I realise watching HSReplays are pretty sterile compared to actual footage, but I'm going to post a few with some play-by-play/analysis just because I want to spew words.

1-0 Game vs Mage.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/iSwtFrrP77zL8BUHqKeJzg

Absurdly weak starts on both sides. Her hand too heavy, mine mostly just unplayables. Opponent plays poorly (probably game-losing misplay with Darkmaster Gandling) and is a psychopath who somehow gets Oasis Ally three times. She gets arguably the strongest 'normal' tempo play possible in Arena, Protodrake into Strongman but gets Rabbited and overwhelmed by garbage as she gasses out. Turn 17, she loses a 50/50 flip with Unseen Saboteur(!) that might have saved the game for her. First big piece of luck in my favour, but it will not be the last.

3-0 Game vs Priest.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/FsXLnkbapsk5ezxETpqnDU

Decent starting hands on both sides. By fluke, I prevent him getting T2-3 Sethekk into Luminance which would probably have been back-breaking. Almost worst possible Demonic Studies. I begin to fall behind, then fall even further behind when I get blown out by Holy Nova. It's looking lost, and then I get blown out by a topdecked Nova again. But I have picked up two strong Dragons thanks to Lackey RNG. Ysera bails me out (ignore the horrible misplay with Nightmare, I forgot it was +4/+4 now and planned to heal it and let the Blackwing snipe before dying). They gas out due to no draw or generation. Game only winnable through the right Lackeys because zero answers in deck to his board states.

6-1 Game vs Warrior. This is probably the highlight match and one of the best I can remember.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/2kpQVe2cVuWPqnQxAYfojD

My start is OK, his is very strong. His aggressiveness with revealing the Sneaky Delinquents I don't agree with at all, but whatever. By Turn 7 I'm on half hp, he has full and even after my turn he's still ahead on board which in Arena is...not good. He gets Troublemaker down on Turn 8 onto an empty board (staight outta Constructed) and now I have 4 hp with zero board. But thanks to a magic card known as Hysteria, I can trade with Rush to leave an empty board (technically it was a 50/50 bad outcome but hey). Now he is wishing he hadn't overriden his weapon charge from earlier. I put up taunts, he trades and then plays Whitemane to resurrect them. I'm dead on board again, but now it's Turn 10 and his positioning with Augmerchant means I can actually kill off one stealth minion with my ultimate run-saver Darkmoon Rabbit - enough to live. I draw a Fragment, up to 6. He goes face, back to 3 and plays a massive taunt I can't answer. I tap down to one because I know that I need one specific card in my deck - Blood Shard Bristleback. I draw another fragment, back up to 3 and taunt my trash. If he has anything I'm dead, so I make the favourable pre-trade and just pray. He can't get through, but drops yet another 4/10 taunt and I couldn't even answer the first. Only one card in my deck can help, Bristleback, and I top deck it. With 2 fragments left, it was effectively a 1/11 draw. But it's not active because I have 12 cards in deck, so I have to tap again to draw a fragment as well for the third turn in a row just, solely to thin my deck. And I tap. And I get one. Now the 6 damage lifesteal battlecry is active, but it can't clear. In fact it actively makes the taunt stronger because it enrages when it takes damage but I need to do it to not be dead immediately, but I'm back down to 3hp. On Turn 13, he makes a critical mistake in not using Whirlwind to push 2 extra face and clear my two Vectus 1/1s. But that's not his fault, because who expects the one-two punch of RITUAL OF DOOM and Grimoire to be 2 of the 3 cards I'm holding? That completely swings the game in my favour with recurring lifesteal now available. The 5/5 and AoE without having to sacrifice bigger minions gives me the lead and not even his Rattlegore can save him. He topdecks Scorpid right after, so with +2 extra to face and less of a swing on my end, it probably would have been enough to kill me. End scene.

Insane game by Arena standards. A daisy-chain of unlikely events - my Demonic Studies on 6 was so bad I was forced to take a 0 mana Spirit Jailer vs unplayables. But that put in 2 extra fragments into my deck which I then chain drew 3 turns in a row which I needed to do in order to tap. But I also thickened my deck such that it was exactly to the card the amount I needed to live and activate Bristleback.

8-1 Game vs Shaman. I'm already well beyond my wildest dreams for this deck, but everything just keeps panning out for some reason.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/pnY423Xp5Wb4Qvy8bF6R6b

Nothing too crazy to talk about here, but it's a great example of a game where everything I said about the deck comes true. If you keep tapping and vomiting garbage to stall long enough, you can hit one huge Rabbit. Eventually they just will run out of stuff and you drown them in 1/1s. His deck was quite modest for an 8 win Shaman from what was played, so he probably never drew his Walking Fountains et al.

9-1 Game vs Hunter There's only one way a Hunter gets to 9 in this meta, and it's relentless aggro. But my deck actually has some reasonable counterplay vs aggro even though it's so uncommon.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/pfpMU2rfaQEkTzRWQXJvLK

I lead with Desk Imp on Turn 1 (sweet). He answers with Wound Prey (not sweet). I Demonic Studies and open the box (strictly speaking this is debatable ordering). Jumbo Imp is straight up no way. Tickatus is tempting very slightly just as a 6 mana 8/8 even with drawback, but it seems so slow. And Mad Summoner, a card so trash that most people have never even seen it. If you don't know, it's a 6 mana 4/4 that fills your board with imps. And your opponent's board. But objectively trash as it is compared to a 6 mana 8/8...doesn't that kind of...work? In this deck? So I get down my discounted 1/5 taunt for the time being. Normally dogshit on curve, I have just ruined this Hunter's day because all their minions have one health for some reason. He's forced to rush and give me the juiciest trades. This is not how the perfect 1+2+3+4+5 curve in his hand was meant to go. I trade My Ruststeed Raider straight into his, wasting the battlecry but leaving a 1/7 taunt. I play even more one damage high hp taunts. This guy is sweating bullets now at all the trash in my deck. I'm not even playing anything proactive. It's Turn 7 and both the Hunter and Warlock are on 30 health. Something abnormal is happening here. But wait, there's more! I have just realised a dream I never even contemplated in my darkest fantasies - Mad Summoner into Grimoire to fully clear his board. At this point, the Hunter is emoting "Astounding!" relentlessly because I'm playing cards that don't even exist. He sticks around just long enough to see me play RITUAL OF DOOM before his spirit is finally broken.

10-2 Game vs Mage

https://hsreplay.net/replay/oW4FRxaig25qMMXujCJb4S

At this point, my heart's giving out on the play-by-play but this is still an instructive and interesting game. Watching the replay back, it's hard to even understand how I win with almost trivial ease. Also especially notice how I play incredibly badly into Combustion twice in a row (undeserved win). Her deck is out of this world in terms of generating value. You can check the tracker on the side - basically every card makes more cards. But they still gas out in the end. I'm afraid of burn hoarded in hand and boardclears that never come. Deeply sus trade with Mini-Mage on my Apathy'd Vectus though with Cram Session in hand.

11-2 Game vs Druid Druid is top dog in Arena right now generally speaking, because they have access to good spreading cards on top of Arbor Up, Blessing of Ancients and Mark of the Lotus. So an 11 win Druid deck is generally quite degenerate.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/JG9RdZqphtcfU4Kf2oq9ob

My starting hand is way better than his. Honestly it was such a relief to see the curve because I was now insanely invested in getting 12 with this deck and starting with coin isn't much help. I trade like my life depends on it because I'm petrified of all the possible buffs. He begins to catch up on board and by Turn 6 it's all evened up. He plays a 7/8 which I can't answer (a running theme in this deck) and have to go wide with Argus taunts to stall as usual. He gets the perfect value trade with the Frenzy ability to make a 7/1 then drops that loving 4/10 taunt again. And I'm dying inside because I can just feel the Arbor Up coming to lock me out. The turn timer on HSReplay doesn't give justice to this turn, but it went all the way to the rope burning out. There were several lines to consider. I wanted to use Grimoire no matter what to deny the buff, but it would strand Arcanist as a dead card unless I used it as well, but no matter what I could only do 9 damage to the 10 health taunt, buffing it up to pointlessly high attack in the process. So Vectus + Grimoire + 2 Drop was the max tempo and clear I could do realistically. But I knew it just wasn't good enough so I had to dig with Demonic Studies. I was looking for Abyssal, Dread Infernal, one of the bigger taunts etc. but then I saw my boy - Magtheridon. And I had the only two card combo in my deck that could ever activate it in hand. I felt like I had won on the spot. Then he played a super wide board with tiny taunts. And now I REALLY just knew that that one card he had been holding the whole game was Arbor Up. So I traded my 12/12 into a 1/2 and cleared up as much as possible and dropped a nice discovered big boy taunt. And it turned out his Arbor Up was actually a 7/7+7/7 10 drop taunt which, in fairness, was pretty good in that spot. But like an utter loving clown, he played around Silas Darkmoon and thus played directly into the Darmoon Rabbit I topdecked because lol, gently caress you, I was destined to go 12 with this mess.

Post-script: An insanely fun Arena run, taking a deck that never should have got there all the way to 12. I got insanely lucky over and over again in the process. My two losses were complete washouts and I didn't even draw badly in either. I would have shown them but they were pretty boring no hope games. Those games were really the expected outcomes for this deck in the higher win levels. Runs like these really highlight the best Arena has to offer, getting to muddle through with sub-par, rarely seen cards, and find a strategy that works. I am totally in love with the tense, agonising endgames you can get in Arena that are so rare in Constructed because the decks are so refined.

Jeza fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Love when my opponent casts a 7-damage flamestrike and a 12-damage mask of c'thun on the same turn. It just feels fair, y'know?