Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Elswyyr posted:

I've got a complicated request that I'm not really sure makes sense for anyone but me.

I like games where you slowly develop a character/entity in a world, getting access to more and more gameplay features and parts of the world. That specific feeling of things opening up around you. The games I can think of that give me this feeling is RuneScape (unlocking new areas and ways to train), Supraland (not a lot of character development, but a world that opens up in a cool way) and heavily modded minecraft (the modpack GT:NH where my new tech unlocks allow me to get new gear/exploit new resources/killing new bosses, getting me more tech, repeat). What other games are like that?

No Man's Sky is really good at this, and is actually pretty fun after years of patches and updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Elswyyr posted:

I've got a complicated request that I'm not really sure makes sense for anyone but me.

I like games where you slowly develop a character/entity in a world, getting access to more and more gameplay features and parts of the world. That specific feeling of things opening up around you. The games I can think of that give me this feeling is RuneScape (unlocking new areas and ways to train), Supraland (not a lot of character development, but a world that opens up in a cool way) and heavily modded minecraft (the modpack GT:NH where my new tech unlocks allow me to get new gear/exploit new resources/killing new bosses, getting me more tech, repeat). What other games are like that?

So like a Metroidvania but more about opening up functional parts of the world rather than getting abilities that function as keys to gates that block off areas? Uh, you do know what a Metroidvania is right?

Aground
Terraria
Stardew Valley
Slime Rancher
Subnautica

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Graveyard Keeper is also really based around tech trees I think.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

No Man's Sky is really good at this, and is actually pretty fun after years of patches and updates.
What actually changed with it?
I jumped in during quarantine and found that it was pretty much the same game. Just the same game-play loop over and over of gathering more fuel, and inventory managment system that was a nightmare, and always lacking the 3rd ingredient to make anything. I only played for an hour, so I am wondering if I missed something.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

eSporks posted:

What actually changed with it?
I jumped in during quarantine and found that it was pretty much the same game. Just the same game-play loop over and over of gathering more fuel, and inventory managment system that was a nightmare, and always lacking the 3rd ingredient to make anything. I only played for an hour, so I am wondering if I missed something.

Did you get to the gigantic interdimensional space station and start the plot, or obtain a capital ship, or start rebuilding crashed ships, or doing side missions?

If an hour of the game makes you shrug and move on, then yeah it might not be for you.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

What are good worker placement games where your workers are also your combat units? Things like Thea 1/2 or Sid Meier's Colonization.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Early game all-in rush in Starcraft.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Did you get to the gigantic interdimensional space station and start the plot, or obtain a capital ship, or start rebuilding crashed ships, or doing side missions?

If an hour of the game makes you shrug and move on, then yeah it might not be for you.
I played maybe 100 hours of it at launch, heard things changed, played another 5 hours or so, and it seemed like nothing changed.
Crashed ships were always in, do they do something different now?
What side missions?
Whats a capitol ship?
The plot that was just fly from space station to space station stopping for gas repeatedly, or did they add something to it? I think I remember a big space station but it not amounting to much.
I do remember them adding more materials and making crafting more complicated, made me feel like I could never get the required mats to make a basic gun, and the inventory Tetris just felt a lot worse.

The basic game play loop seemed to remain entirely the same. Genuinely curious If I am missing something.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Overall the gameplay loop is what it is, yeah. But there are capital ships you can acquire now with hangars, that can be customized interiors and sent on missions. There is a Subspace Anomaly space station that can be summoned, which is an online hub for players, and contains lots of shops and specialized merchants, as well as quest givers and plot npcs (there is a plot, yes, involving searching for someone and recovering your memory).

The game is primarily going to be exploring new planets for new poo poo to upgrade gear to get new poo poo, yeah, and if that isn't something that works for you then so be it. But there is a lot of new stuff that gives the game some more depth.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Elswyyr posted:

The most recent game that did this for me is Valheim. Second half of the game is pretty grindy, but good before that.

I'm going to anti-recommend Satisfactory. In my opinion, both Factorio and Dyson Sphere Program provide a better version of this experience.

Oh! If you haven't yet, play Terraria. It is exactly what you want.

You would probably also enjoy the Zelda games, although it's been a few releases since I played one so I don't know how good the current ones are.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

LLSix posted:

You would probably also enjoy the Zelda games, although it's been a few releases since I played one so I don't know how good the current ones are.

Breath of the Wild was dope, because as soon as you get bored you can just roast dozens of smallmouth bass and brute force the final dungeon.

sad question
May 30, 2020

What are some recent good platforming games for PC? The last one I got into was Rayman Legends. I'm eyeing Monster Boy since it's on sale on steam and looks p good. Did Yooka Laylee turn out decent?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

sad question posted:

What are some recent good platforming games for PC? The last one I got into was Rayman Legends. I'm eyeing Monster Boy since it's on sale on steam and looks p good. Did Yooka Laylee turn out decent?

Ori and the Will of the Wisps is a great metroidvania (and the first is good too). Hollow Knight is nice but pretty hard. Celeste is pure plateforming die-and-retry like Meatboy.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

sad question posted:

Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair (2D platformer, NOT the kickstarter game) is really good. I usually don't like platforming games all that much, but that one was genuinely enjoyable. The last level is pretty huge jump in difficulty, but at least they added checkpoints.

Trine 4 was also nice. Probably the best of the series (playing the older games is not required).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't think there's widespread agreement on which Trine game is the best. The first is very short, so that's a good place to check out the series without making a huge investment.

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

sad question posted:

Celeste. I'm usually not much for platformers but it kept me engaged all the way through.

Also if you've been keeping up with the free Epic games you should have it in your library.

MrXmas fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 18, 2021

sad question
May 30, 2020

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. Actually I should have Celeste from that big itch.io bundle.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Unreal_One posted:

What are good worker placement games where your workers are also your combat units? Things like Thea 1/2 or Sid Meier's Colonization.

It's admittedly not much like Thea or Colonization (which, along with SMAC, are some of the best games in the history of ever), but maybe Chaos Overlords is worth a shot?
Not worker placement exactly but all units can both do combat, take over sectors, and activate buildings for income and effects.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
What is the consensus of Hearts of Iron IV and its DLC?

Are the DLC necessary for quality of life or are they more like Total war warhammer where DLC are closer to ‘playsets’

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Cracker King posted:

What is the consensus of Hearts of Iron IV and its DLC?

Are the DLC necessary for quality of life or are they more like Total war warhammer where DLC are closer to ‘playsets’

There's a hoi4 thread with recommendations but if you're playing MP only the host needs all the dlc for everyone to get to play with all the stuff. Otherwise just get the ones that sound interesting to you. Personally I figure if any of em's skippable it's the Together For Victory one, but ymmv if you happen to live in or be a fan of Commonwealth nations.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

sad question posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. Actually I should have Celeste from that big itch.io bundle.

Works out well since that’s the best one!

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Thea: The Awakening, which is one of my favourite games ever is on hobobundle for €1 now, so I recommend you all go buy it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

sad question posted:

Sockventure (pure platformer), Smelter (also has combat), and Blasphemous (same, with combat) are the best games with a strong focus on platforming that I've played recently. The first two are level-based while Blasphemous just has a continuous enormous map; that one has a focus on combat but there is also a lot more platforming than you'd think and they recently even released a DLC tie-in with Bloodstained ROTN that is pure platforming, no combat. Fantastic game, as is Smelter. Sockventure is really good too, just a bit basic so certainly don't pay a lot for it.

Little Nightmares II was pretty good and could be classified as such although there is a lot of other gameplay.

For 3D platformers, Crash 4 is fantastic in a very slim field, with Ghostrunner including tons of 3D platforming but also combat elements.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Me and my friend were interesting in playing some kind of 2v2 competitive game, of basically any genre, with enough of a player base to comfortable find matches, preferably not an RTS.
I tried looking around myself but I couldn't find anything except for Bloodline Champions which seems to be 100% dead.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Battlerite is the sequel to bloodline champions. Might still be alive.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jack Trades posted:

Me and my friend were interesting in playing some kind of 2v2 competitive game, of basically any genre, with enough of a player base to comfortable find matches, preferably not an RTS.
I tried looking around myself but I couldn't find anything except for Bloodline Champions which seems to be 100% dead.

Rocket League! It has a 2v2 queue, and the standard 3v3 works fine as "party of 2 and a random."

Rocket League is an incredibly fun game with a regular partner, and it's free to play (all $$$ stuff is cosmetic). My ex and I stayed together at least a year longer than we should have in large part because we loved playing Rocket League together.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I think this is a serious longshot, but does anything exist on PS4 that has a similar feel to the Heroes of Might and Magic games? Closest analogs I’ve found are For The King, which I have and rather like, and Age of Wonders: Planetfall, which seems too cumbersome to play on console and is rather more involved looking than Heroes was.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
guys, is there a modern day "Majesty" yet? that level of town management.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

What's something like the modern XCOM games and also good? Did Phoenix Point ever reach good status?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've heard good things about Mario vs. Rabbids, oddly enough. It's apparently quite well-designed...if you can stomach the rabbids

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Cavauro posted:

What's something like the modern XCOM games and also good? Did Phoenix Point ever reach good status?

Gears: Tactics is a pretty good XCOM type game. Its mechanics work for creating real incentives to be aggressive and avoiding the "advance/overwatch/next turn" cycle that can take over those type of games, and they work way better than XCOM 2's "put timers on everything". It doesn't really have a strategic layer but you still get to upgrade all your guys between missions with skills and gear and etc. I wasn't very familiar at all with the Gears of War universe and I thought it was better than I expected.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Cavauro posted:

have you played "Steamworld Heist"?
also seconding "Raving Rabbits" or whatever, very solid

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Cavauro posted:

Troubleshooter

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I would argue Steamworld Heist is decidedly NOT like an xcom game. There's way more of a reliance on equipment and abilities than tactics, mostly because the cover system is so drat unreliable. On top of that, boss fights tend to just ignore cover altogether, which means it's a DPS race.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cavauro posted:

Warhammer: Mechanicus

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

Cavauro posted:

I'd like something that is 30% (the first new) XCOM and 70% Jagged Alliance 2.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cavauro posted:

Can I also get an answer to this, with the caveat that my biggest annoyance about nuXcom was that everything was rewarded at the end of a successful mission so there was no way to bug out of a failing mission but still get a "win" by returning with a new gun or alien corpse.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
It's not super polished, but I had fun with Massive Chalice, I'd say it's worth a playthrough if you get it on sale.

Idk if this one falls under XCOM-likes, but Invisible Inc is very good.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Cavauro posted:

I have mixed feelings on Hard West as a game, but it's the same sort of turn-based tactics shooting, with a story-driven setup in a Weird West setting & some twists on the formula, and was at least compelling enough for me to play through it once. Don't pay full price for it, but I think I got it on sale for $15 and liked it. It has issues but imo is worthy enough as an entry to the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've heard good things about Mario vs. Rabbids, oddly enough. It's apparently quite well-designed...if you can stomach the rabbids

The skill tree, leveling and customization mechanics are going to feel small compared to other tactical RPGs, but I'd actually call that a plus.
It has a bunch of fun mechanics with throwing teammates and warp pipes. Each character has unique a playstyle and good synergy with other characters. The minimal customization means you can't power game any encounters and they all feel well balanced. Plot is meh, but cute.

Highly recommend Mario vs Rabbids.