Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic Prison Guy
Aug 1, 2020

Bumping this thread in case anyone forgot about it. I'm also adding peices of leather onto an already created harley-davidson jacket and have massive respect for this process, seeing how hard it's been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Ex-Cyberpsycho Guy posted:

Bumping this thread in case anyone forgot about it. I'm also adding peices of leather onto an already created harley-davidson jacket and have massive respect for this process, seeing how hard it's been

Yup! I think I've said it about every hobby I've tried, but: there really is nothing like attempting these things yourself and then realizing "Oh wow, that *insert handmade good* actually isn't obscenely overpriced."

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Trabant posted:

Yup! I think I've said it about every hobby I've tried, but: there really is nothing like attempting these things yourself and then realizing "Oh wow, that *insert handmade good* actually isn't obscenely overpriced."

I'm saying this to myself as I'm like 20hrs into a bag and just realized I'm a quarter of the way through stitching the body.

I didnt even know this thread existed. I just started leather working like 2 months ago.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Double post don't care

It's technically a bag now, I guess. Also wish I had straightened the buckles before the picture but oh well. Now all that's left is detail and strap work, which should be doable over 2 or 3 days after work.

Did make a massive but thankfully correctable mistake.. As I was getting ready to glue up the back panel, I realized I had stitched the entire front panel/bag side incorrectly.

This was how I stitched it. Once I started the back panel I realized the flesh side should have been facing out for the side panel, so I had to cut all my stitching and pull the glue apart. Thankfully it was the sticky tape, not cement, and it's 99% concealed anyway.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Im glad this thread got bumped cause I forgot about it.

I decided I wanted to make my dog a leather bone toy so I 3d modeled a form, 3d printed it, and wet formed two shells to fill and sew together. She doesn't eat her toys so don't worry about poisoning. I also used veg tanned leather just in case.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Both excellent posts/projects! My fingers are in pain just looking at the stitching required for iwentdoodie's bag, and Ziggy Smalls' use of 3D-printing might be some of the most clever I've seen.

Sadly, I'm going to be That Poster for a while -- nothing to contribute, but still have all my tools and many supplies but had to store them away due to a lack of working space. One day...

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Thanks Trabant. Honestly the stitching wasn't terrible, I built a sketchy af pony and did most of it sitting on the couch watching star trek with my wife after dinner, just doing whatever I could in an hour or so before bed.

I already have plans to do another one, and next week is going to be brutal because I procrastinated on ordering leather because I couldn't decide what I wanted and in my head I've mentally promised to have 3 long wallets done by mothers day.

Anyway, current status: almost done. All that's left is top strap, and sewing the...I don't even know what to call them, medallions? Whatever holds the d rings on the sides for the strap attachment.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Looking pretty dang nice!

That looks either like chrome-tanned leather or some super-soft-temper vegtan? If it's chrome, I'd love to hear a comparison to how it stitches vs. vegtan (which is the only thing I've used). It seems like it would fight you all the way if you're stitching by hand.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
It's a 3/4oz chrome/oil tan. It's very floppy, and cuts and sews like butter. At some points I was sewing through 4 layers and it took a slightly stronger tug.

Way, way easier than veg tan.

If you're US based, pick up one of the $20 or $30 dollar oil tan sides from Springfield and give it a shot. I still prefer the look and feel of veg tan, but this is a practice run for making stuff for my wife and she prefers the look and feel of chrome tan.

Or at least she does until I start spending the money to get some nice buttero and bridle.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Huh, I legit expected that the floppiness would've made it more of a struggle to get it to cooperate. Good to know!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Trabant posted:

Huh, I legit expected that the floppiness would've made it more of a struggle to get it to cooperate. Good to know!

Double sided tape (I'm using one from tandy but there's all kinds) and for the long curving sections generous use of binder clips and the patience of a monk.

My chisels aren't great even after polishing them, so veg tan over about 2oz and especially doubled or tripled 3oz for say a wallet means every stitch I'm using pliers to pull through. The only time I had an issue was sewing the top flap to the main bag, because it wasn't glued and wanted to keep moving. It ended up in a lot of hunting to not end up skipping a stitch, and a lot of pierced thread knots from my cheap rear end thread.

I have some different thread and a somewhat nicer set of chisels coming with my current leather order, so hoping that'll improve things. If it ever loving ships...

Edit: ordered one each of the 20 and 30 dollar oil tan sides, a saffiano bundle (30sqft of 5 leathers), a black oil tan side, the stuff stated above, plus some tokonole to try it. Also ordered an edge dye from Rocky Mountain to try that out.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Ohh yeah, I have a couple of bags of tiny binder clips. Thanks for reminding me!

Tokonole is freaking magic, you'll love it. Besides edgework it's also great for smoothing out the flesh side of the leather (using a nice and heavy chunk of glass/wood to apply and polish with). Depending on the seller, the splits seem to have been done using a rusty scythe...

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 30, 2021

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

That looks real nice. I love the color of the stitching.

But I gotta ask about the timing and any possible regrets of getting that 'Bring Back the Plague 2020' sticker

Epic Prison Guy
Aug 1, 2020

iwentdoodie posted:

I'm saying this to myself as I'm like 20hrs into a bag and just realized I'm a quarter of the way through stitching the body.

I didnt even know this thread existed. I just started leather working like 2 months ago.

i really would like for you to change that avatar to anything else in the world if possible and will even give you money to do so

Epic Prison Guy
Aug 1, 2020

that being said, how did you put that bag together? It's not something I personally would use myself, but I could see it having value as a trade item. From the beginning of you making that bag, what all did you need to have in order to do all the stitching that you did? When I hosed with my leather jackets and put multiple stitches on some of the thicker leather parts using just an awl.... goddamn, I never realized how much you can make your fingers hurt, especially if you accidentally stab yourself with that thick leather stitching needle.

I've been using a fake "sinew" that I pick up from Tandy leather myself. Using it to penetrate a harley davidson jacked I've been modifying and my process is probably laughably bad. First, I tie a 3 times square knot on one of the needled sinew, then approach whatever I'm trying to sew onto it from the back so that the knot on the OTHER end of the sinew prevents it from accidentally going through. Then, I pull it all the way through and leave at least 5 inches of slack on the sinew past the knot. If I have a short stitch, then I tie both ends together on the back 3 times and cut the remaining sinew off. The awls I have been using I have gotten 2 sizes of so far. Some of the leather on this jacket is so loving THICK it's impossible to pierce with just the leather alone (at least it feels like that) and the ackwardness of the jacket shape you have to work around can be extremely frustrating. I know there are better ways to do this type of thing so if you can find the time to help me that'd be cool.

Okay, another deal with this jacket is that I'd like to make some MARKS or drawings on it that will be kind of reflective or gold or silver for a couple reasons one being that I need cars to see me at night as a skateboarder. Is there anything like this that I can place onto chrome-tanned leather that's already finished with a sealant that will STAY the gently caress on the leather and not wash off like lovely paint? Are there any secret tricks to doing something like this?

I also noticed that you used like dome - caps (the silver things on your buckles) with like a hand press tool or something. I have something I bought from Tandy Leather that was supposed to be like that (you press 2 parts together through the material in a prepoked hole then hit the top with a soft mallet to "set it"). Any, this item is exactly like these caps I've been told, except they're in 4 parts and I cannot for the life of me figure out how the gently caress to do so. If you dont know what I'm talking about I can provide a picture. Anyway, the top of the "dome" per se is a 12 guage shell's firing pin and circle around it. I dont know wtf I'm doing wrong but I feel like I've completely wasted these pieces tryng to get them on here.)

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rotten Cookies posted:

That looks real nice. I love the color of the stitching.

But I gotta ask about the timing and any possible regrets of getting that 'Bring Back the Plague 2020' sticker

Thanks. It's sadly two colors, I started with that burgundy then didn't have enough for all that was left. So everything on the bag body is burgundy and the strap handle and shoulder slider are brighter red.

As for bring back the plague, https://youtu.be/lXGSLKWeVwE

i really would like for you to change that avatar to anything else in the world if possible and will even give you money to do so

I've had this for like a decade and honestly never even think about it because I'm on the app 99% of the time :v:

The silver pieces are just double cap rivets, they're just a post and a cap and they hammer together. They're not super load bearing worthy, and honestly I'll probably use Chicago screws on my next one. It almost sounds like you're describing snaps, which I haven't messed with yet.

As for sewing, this was all just done with diamond chisels and then hand sewn with harness needles using a saddle stitch or at least my attempt at one. The thread is just a .8mm waxed poly. I can't imagine trying to use sinew, especially with knots like that.

Reflective...not sure honestly. Not much is going to hold up with the bending and flexing of jacket leather and not flake or peel, especially on chrome tan. I always just wore a safety vest over my jackets.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

iwentdoodie posted:

It almost sounds like you're describing snaps, which I haven't messed with yet.

Yeah, it does sound like snaps. They need a setter tool, e.g.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwBNL6lluLM

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Note: buy quality rivets, or just use Chicago screws. Jfc. Half of those cheap rear end rivets snapped after like a day, so now I get to redo a bunch of things.

Oh well, live and learn.

On the bright side I don't have to worry about cramming a bunch of work into this week because SLC apparently needs 7+ days to pull and ship orders, despite saying this...nowhere on the site.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Is it cheating to use trauma shears on leather? I find myself really chewing up the cuts with a head knife (admittedly I have a super cheap one) or xacto and want to know if I'll be screwing myself further down the line

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

theflyingexecutive posted:

Is it cheating to use trauma shears on leather? I find myself really chewing up the cuts with a head knife (admittedly I have a super cheap one) or xacto and want to know if I'll be screwing myself further down the line

If the results are good it's fine. Any exposed edges should be burnished at the end anyways so you won't see any kind of small texturing from the pattern on the shears.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

For doing what? Just cutting straight lines, or?

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Change the blade on your razor, or sharpen your head knife. Leather messes up your edge fast.

I've never been happy with the results I've gotten from scissors, but if you're working with, say, really floppy chrome tan they may be the only real option.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TheNothingNew posted:

Change the blade on your razor, or sharpen your head knife. Leather messes up your edge fast.

I've never been happy with the results I've gotten from scissors, but if you're working with, say, really floppy chrome tan they may be the only real option.

Yeah one of the first things that anyone should be buying in this trade is a pack of blades. I also recommend having a very large one for big long straight cuts. This is my go to:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

It's just a hobby, I scream, as my wife pummels me to death with half of a cow.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
lol

But I'm also envious as hell

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Trabant posted:

lol

But I'm also envious as hell

Come to the hellworld known as FL and gently caress up some animal skins with me

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've never seen printed (painted?) leather before that's incredible

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

cakesmith handyman posted:

I've never seen printed (painted?) leather before that's incredible

Even better, it's suede! The back side is deliciously fuzzy.

It's going to be used as the interior liner for a wallet for my wife. I'm sure the paint will wear off eventually but it'll be pretty until it does. I wanted to buy a bunch and use it as like a liner for the top flap of a bag but it isn't cheap, and having never used it I figured I'd actually start small and try it before going whole hog.

Which is a first for me in this hobby.

https://www.springfieldleather.com/shop-now/leather/chrome-tan/suede

https://www.springfieldleather.com/Suede-Water-Color-Love-Heart-Paisley I really want some of this

Psykoguy
Oct 10, 2003

I said those words on
the Internet.

I can't just take them back.
I've been slowly getting into this, and will be doing more projects once I get a proper desk to build everything on. But here's my latest bag I have made as a gift.

https://imgur.com/qrqSkyj

https://imgur.com/SDUA7O3

This was the first time I used a stitching awl, and I had fun with it (until the cheap awl I was using broke. Don't buy cheap awls)

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

I'm upset by how pretty this is because it's absolutely going to shed metal flake paint everywhere as it ages/flexes.

Psykoguy posted:

I've been slowly getting into this, and will be doing more projects once I get a proper desk to build everything on. But here's my latest bag I have made as a gift.

https://imgur.com/qrqSkyj

https://imgur.com/SDUA7O3

This was the first time I used a stitching awl, and I had fun with it (until the cheap awl I was using broke. Don't buy cheap awls)

Looks like you wet formed the bag face. How'd that go, and what did you use as a mold? One of those things I need to get my head around.
Bag looks good.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

iwentdoodie posted:

Come to the hellworld known as FL and gently caress up some animal skins with me

Ha! Not that it was in the cards, but my wife is from Jacksonville and has expressly forbidden any notion of us moving to FL.

Psykoguy posted:

As good as your final product looks, I don't think you could pay me to stitch with just an awl. It's exhausting to even think about :sweatdrop:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Trabant posted:

Ha! Not that it was in the cards, but my wife is from Jacksonville and has expressly forbidden any notion of us moving to FL.

As good as your final product looks, I don't think you could pay me to stitch with just an awl. It's exhausting to even think about :sweatdrop:

Yeah I'm only here because my wife wanted to move back (I'm not from here) but it isn't all bad.

So, got all that leather and finally figured out what I wanted to do for a bag for my wife with the $50 oil tan. Start working and found its actually an SB Foot side, so....score?

Cut one side piece and my pattern is a little manky so I laid the cut piece down to use it as a mirror.

Somehow through sheer luck the width here is the exact same as the cut piece, so I have to make literally two length cuts. Im going to pretend it was on purpose because I'm awesome and know what I'm doing.

Why and how is this hobby so goddamn addictive

Epic Prison Guy
Aug 1, 2020

You get to live there? gently caress yourself. Sorry, I digress.

Anyway, I tried about every combination of the locks. I feel like maybe Tandy leather just didn't inform me of a missing piece which would've been nice before I AWLED a huge loving hole in my leather jacket in order to put the parts on. The pieces simplly don't click together correctly, and I can't find anyway to make them do so. I tried getting them on the phone but describing very particular leather part pieces is pretty hard to do.

Epic Prison Guy
Aug 1, 2020

https://tandyleather.com/products/shotgun-shell-concho-34?_pos=1&_sid=12b80d36b&_ss=r

I've found them. Anyways, even knowing what they were the person at the store couldn't tell me what to do with them which was.. promising.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

You get to live there? gently caress yourself. Sorry, I digress.

Anyway, I tried about every combination of the locks. I feel like maybe Tandy leather just didn't inform me of a missing piece which would've been nice before I AWLED a huge loving hole in my leather jacket in order to put the parts on. The pieces simplly don't click together correctly, and I can't find anyway to make them do so. I tried getting them on the phone but describing very particular leather part pieces is pretty hard to do.

Nah that was on vacation last week, but poo poo like that is less than an hour away.

Pictures would help, seems like that's just a riveted concho

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
Yeah, if you follow the links in the descriptions it leads you to the setting tools they recommend. If for some reason those setting tools don't work definitely try to get a refund!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've been meaning to replace the sheath of my grandfather's knives for a while now, minor cockup I cut it backwards but no biggy. Waiting for new snap fasteners to turn up then I'll call it done. If it turns out to need the rivets I'll restitch and rivet later.

Next task, clean up and sharpen the knives.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

I've been meaning to replace the sheath of my grandfather's knives for a while now, minor cockup I cut it backwards but no biggy. Waiting for new snap fasteners to turn up then I'll call it done. If it turns out to need the rivets I'll restitch and rivet later.

Next task, clean up and sharpen the knives.

Not sure if you've done this a few times before or not, but I recommend using a few applications of Tan-Kote where the knife will be sliding in and out of the sheath. This will protect the leather.

Since at the moment it's still raw veg tan you can also wet form it around the knife so that the knife blade 'wants' to sit in the center and not against your stiching (less of a concern if you glued it along where the stiches are but it's hard to tell).

Looks good. Grandpa would be proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Thanks, advice always appreciated. I've only made a couple of things before, they're probably all in this thread. I actually cut the leather for this at least a year ago, it would be nice to wet form it, I'll wrap the blades up and give it a go. If I were to make this again I'd wet form it before cutting to final size but that would be a complete new piece. Ah well, always learning.