Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 minutes!

MotU posted:

Aw shucks the 60 year old man is just too naive to know what he's doin'

He has mush brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

He has mush brain

The inevtiable fate of all who work in the wrestling busness regardless if they've ever stepped in the ring. It's tragic you hate to see it.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
he has boomer reporter brain and fortunately it's terminal

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
everyones walking back this weekend smdh

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation

Incessant Excess posted:

Can’t believe he blindsided Dave like this

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Incessant Excess posted:

i didn't know they were reviewing Main Event now

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Incessant Excess posted:

https://twitter.com/dustinrhodes/status/1394007414052098060?s=20

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Da muddaship?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lamuella posted:

Da muddaship?

It was 6:05 somewhere

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dustin rules.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1393798190097477638

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Excited for the episode. I save QAA for work so I'll be listening tomorrow

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

YOU WIN THE HOUUUUUSSSSSSSSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1394147424365654021

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

great episode, Bix. The wrestling-themed Jake story... Lmao

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
there's a 20 minute mailbag section at the end of today's WOR. Blessed

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
I love the mailbag section, it’s like, don’t you dudes have Google???

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

how else are we going to get minute by minute updates on *shuffles notes* parker boudreaux

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I asked a question about Don Leo Jonathan once, if you think I'm gonna put a google alert on something like that instead of just making dave tell me you're crazy

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Bryan's story about the UFO is destroying me.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Low Desert Punk posted:

how else are we going to get minute by minute updates on *shuffles notes* parker boudreaux

thats the next Brock Lesnar!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bryan on Filthy Four taking 5 years to figure out the reason why he suddenly got more easily tired and in worse shape the moment he hit 40 was loving incredible, he couldn't believe people were right that you hit a wall and that it hit him so suddenly and half a decade later he realized wait, turning 40 coincided with having a daughter and never getting any sleep ever.... :lol:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Colt Cabana's doing a new podcast where people call in and leave anonymous questions about wrestling.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

a few days late but Lance's story about New Jack getting a cut of Tracy Smothers' confederate flag money is loving hilarious

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Low Desert Punk posted:

a few days late but Lance's story about New Jack getting a cut of Tracy Smothers' confederate flag money is loving hilarious
I need all of the details about this but I assume it's simply that Tracy was selling signed flags/flag-themed gimmicks and he was working with The Gangstas at the time, so he did the time honored tradition of splitting some of your gimmick money with the heel you're programmed with?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

davidbix posted:

I need all of the details about this but I assume it's simply that Tracy was selling signed flags/flag-themed gimmicks and he was working with The Gangstas at the time, so he did the time honored tradition of splitting some of your gimmick money with the heel you're programmed with?

Jack would disrespect the flag in promos (spit on flag, talk about how it's the racist flag, rip it up, etc.), Tracy was a proudly Southern wrestler who sold confederate flags. Tracy gave Jack flags for free because it riled up the audience to buy their own flags. Eventually this lead to such better Tracy merch sales he gave Jack a cut.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

It would appear that Amanda Huber possibly didn't take Dave and/or Bruce's apology well:

https://instagram.com/stories/mandahuber/2576700122201391198?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&utm_medium=share_sheet

collocation fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 19, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Listening to B&V&C's review of the Shawn documentary, all I can think of is Bryan's comment on how back in the day the world champion WAS the promotion while nowadays Vince wants The Brand to be the promotion. It felt like Bryan was criticizing Vince for this and who wouldn't criticize Vince for modern WWE.

But it made me think how sensible that approach is in theory. Anything based around a single individual is doomed to fail. This is brought up all the time in government 1011. Say you have the nicest, smartest dictator whoever lived, they will die eventually and then you're hosed. Say you have the best world champ of all time - Shawn and Austin both had to retire very early and they both nearly died, too. So building a fed around one person seems as much a houes of cards as building a country around that dictator. People should come for the brand, not just a transient champion.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Or they could just build up strong contenders and make them champ after their current one runs the course…

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Ideally it's symbiotic. A good champ raises the profile of the promotion, which makes it easier for them to create more stars, who will raise the profile of the promotion.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
I have no idea how anyone could watch the last few years of wwe and think building it around the brand is good.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Or they could just build up strong contenders and make them champ after their current one runs the course…

You're both right, but let's not forget how Vince wants people to stay in his bubble to wring the last drop out of them, making them too hot can lead to bigger success than he can contain.

*edit* And of course Bryan says that right after.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 19, 2021

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I have no idea how anyone could watch the last few years of wwe and think building it around the brand is good.

I get around this by not watching WWE and watching good promotions with strong identities AND star competitors instead.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

NikkolasKing posted:

Listening to B&V&C's review of the Shawn documentary, all I can think of is Bryan's comment on how back in the day the world champion WAS the promotion while nowadays Vince wants The Brand to be the promotion. It felt like Bryan was criticizing Vince for this and who wouldn't criticize Vince for modern WWE.

But it made me think how sensible that approach is in theory. Anything based around a single individual is doomed to fail. This is brought up all the time in government 1011. Say you have the nicest, smartest dictator whoever lived, they will die eventually and then you're hosed. Say you have the best world champ of all time - Shawn and Austin both had to retire very early and they both nearly died, too. So building a fed around one person seems as much a houes of cards as building a country around that dictator. People should come for the brand, not just a transient champion.
The most recent example of this would be the Super Cena era, but that wasn't when people were tuning out.

I feel like it started because Vince got so paranoid that they were going to accidentally make a new star that would leave the company that chased off most fans as they fumbled CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Moxly and most recently Kofi and Becky Lynch because Roman must win at all costs. The booking's been bad for much longer than that, it was WWE's active disgust at what people wanted vs what Vince wanted that's turned people off.

They're reverting back to the New Generation era where WWE is making wrestling very unfun/uncool to watch for the mainstream.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Putting aside current (fairly unique!) COVID-19 issues, New Japan is a great example of a promotion that builds stars but is also able to replace or lose them and keep on going well because they have a great baseline of quality and an investment in continually building other stars who can slot in.

They lost Prince Devitt, AJ Styles, Karl Anderson, Kenny Omega (considered one of the greatest wrestlers of all time), Shinsuke Nakamura (at the time considered basically one of the greatest and most charismatic wrestlers in the world) etc and the promotion just keeps on producing more and more stars, even with Tanahashi and Okada taking less prominent roles, Ibushi only being a comparatively recent full-time signing, etc. They have people in place who can step in or step up, the likes of Ospreay, Switchblade, Takagi, Taichi, ZSJ etc and the matches keep being great, plus they have probably the best/highest potential rookies in the world.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Jerusalem posted:

Putting aside current (fairly unique!) COVID-19 issues, New Japan is a great example of a promotion that builds stars but is also able to replace or lose them and keep on going well because they have a great baseline of quality and an investment in continually building other stars who can slot in.

They lost Prince Devitt, AJ Styles, Karl Anderson, Kenny Omega (considered one of the greatest wrestlers of all time), Shinsuke Nakamura (at the time considered basically one of the greatest and most charismatic wrestlers in the world) etc and the promotion just keeps on producing more and more stars, even with Tanahashi and Okada taking less prominent roles, Ibushi only being a comparatively recent full-time signing, etc. They have people in place who can step in or step up, the likes of Ospreay, Switchblade, Takagi, Taichi, ZSJ etc and the matches keep being great, plus they have probably the best/highest potential rookies in the world.
It's something almost every other wrestling promotion in the world is doing but for some reason WWE can't. They can and have signed some of the best wrestlers on the planet in the last 10 years and still bleed viewers. A Kevin Owens/Sami Zayn match just happened at Wrestlemania and they managed to make it incredibly lame.

I can't recall how many times I've thought that "The indies are dead now" and they just keep rebuilding from scratch and have me excited again. The WWE could have Tanahashi and Okada at their primes at Summerslam this year and I'd forget that match happened a couple months later because of how poorly run the main roster is, and NXT is sinking down to that level too despite having legitimately some of my favorite wrestlers of all time currently on the roster.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Giving a title prestige is some of the best baked-in storytelling you can get. X has something, Y needs it. You want your champions to be Apollo Creed, not someone who lost 4 days ago and got a pie in the face.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

The sheer potential that New Japan have even just in their current young lions is incredible. Uemura and Tsuji are stars in waiting.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
People buy tickets and watch the TV shows to see characters and stars they like. The boom periods in wrestling have been driven by big stars, the fallow periods are when there is a lack of star power (for whatever reason be it bad luck or design).

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Yeah for my money the most invested I am in wrestling is when the talent are people I want to be, want to be friends with, or want to fight. WWE hasn't supplied that to me in a long long time. It's a lot of people that are just there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

the other side of that is that sometimes a promotion has a particular style or particular booking that makes good people better. The production style and booking approach in Riptide, for example, usually makes the performers there look even better. And conversely a bad promotion can make you not give a poo poo about the best wrestlers in the world.