Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

gohuskies posted:

But it seems like the lottery was a good idea at least! Anybody choosing not to get the shot probably understands probability poorly enough that they are exactly the kind of folks who a lottery could work on.

i agree and stated upthread, i think the lottery is a wonderful idea. hell, make it a billion and make it national and enter me in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

wilderthanmild posted:

For what it's worth, he was probably one of the best GOP governors as far as the pandemic goes. Ohio was one of the first to shut down. He actually stuck to his health orders other than the shutdown and really only relented on the shutdown when the legislature basically started threatening to destroy all kinds of poo poo. Particularly they were threatening to ruin his family politically. He still shouldn't have given in of course, but unlike other GOP governors, he was actually starting from a point of doing the right thing.

Hell, how many states with GOP governors kept mask mandates into this year? How many just skipped them? Even him ending the mask mandate a couple weeks from now is basically just relenting to the legislature passing a law blocking such orders and overriding his veto.

Don't get me wrong, Dewine sucks in a lot of ways, but he's a lot better than the average GOP governor in regards to the pandemic, especially considering that the entire state legislature and his own state party was basically fighting him the whole way.

Hogan did, but the relevant parts of Maryland aren't a GOP state, Hogan doesn't represent the modern republican party, and he still tripped over himself running to the mic to rescind it as soon as that cdc statement came out.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

boar guy posted:

does that make up for what a stupid open everything up rear end in a top hat he was last year? was pretty sweet watching the bloom of counties in ohio turning red from the south up as that jackass hosed everything up

Lol where did I say that it did?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

Lol where did I say that it did?

i didn't say that you said it. i was just throwing it out there because i remember him handling things very badly last year

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I like what they're doing with the vaccine PSAs https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qs342tQhJH1rp4sdg.mp4

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I like what they're doing with the vaccine PSAs

[Video]

This is very good.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Out daily confirmed cases dropped from over 2000 a couple weeks ago to mid-700s now after closing schools, restaurants, gyms, and salons again. Funny how that keeps working.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/05/18/lollapalooza-returning-at-fully-capacity-this-summer/

:stare: Wtf Chicago. I seriously did not expect any full scale festivals until next year. Seeing this a day after my coworker tells me her 19yr old Covid positive grandson is in the hospital on oxygen is a loving joke.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

liz posted:

https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/05/18/lollapalooza-returning-at-fully-capacity-this-summer/

:stare: Wtf Chicago. I seriously did not expect any full scale festivals until next year. Seeing this a day after my coworker tells me her 19yr old Covid positive grandson is in the hospital on oxygen is a loving joke.

It says it will require vaccination or negative test for entry. We'll see how well they actually enforce it. If they are asking for cards or vaccination records, probably good. If they are using the honor system, this is dumb as gently caress.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

liz posted:

If you didn't know about your coworker's grandson would it change your opinion of it?

(I hope he recovers)

wilderthanmild posted:

It says it will require vaccination or negative test for entry. We'll see how well they actually enforce it. If they are asking for cards or vaccination records, probably good. If they are using the honor system, this is dumb as gently caress.

It'll last for the first few thousand people and then nobody will care.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

My guess is they quietly drop it as more and more things open up

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It'll last for the first few thousand people and then nobody will care.

If they really do try to enforce it, it's gonna depend on how hard it is to actually do it. If it's just like scan your ticket show us a piece of paper or scan your ticket or maybe some system where your tickets aren't valid unless you submitted some thing via an app, it might go fine. If it's any more complicated than that, the people at the gate will immediately give up. They aren't gonna give a poo poo if it takes them over a minute per entrant and will immediately stop so that they don't get crushed by people trying to get through.

I'm trying to see if I can find details on what if any enforcement of that there is gonna be. They probably don't even know yet.

sharknado slashfic posted:

My guess is they quietly drop it as more and more things open up

Yeah, if no other events try doing this kind of thing, they won't wanna be the ones with rules while nobody else has them. Can't risk losing a few bucks to competition. :capitalism:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

they are doing either tested negative for covid within the past 24 hours or two weeks past the second jab for sporting events in CA, anyway

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

wilderthanmild posted:

it should be vaccine only. negative test ain't poo poo. unless you re-test every day of the event

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i mean weren't they doing vaccine passports in Wuhan like a month after the outbreak?

bring them on. i don't care about freedoms for people that don't care about my health

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Fur20 posted:

it should be vaccine only. negative test ain't poo poo. unless you re-test every day of the event

That's actually the requirement according to their site.

quote:

For patrons who are not fully vaccinated, a negative COVID-19 test result must be obtained within 24 hours of attending Lollapalooza each day

When I was trying to find details, a lot of people think they are planning to use something like the ClearApp that the NBA uses. It hooks into lab results and is currently working on getting vaccination verification as well.

If they do go a route like that, them actually enforcing this becomes a lot more realistic.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I actually like that idea. No one will want to get multiple covid tests for each day of the event, that's just taking time away from enjoyment. So it may well push some lazy asses to get vaxxed

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

wilderthanmild posted:

That's actually the requirement according to their site.

whoa that's great then! this is like the first time i've EVER seen this done right.

not sarcastic, which is loving sad

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Play posted:

I actually like that idea. No one will want to get multiple covid tests for each day of the event, that's just taking time away from enjoyment. So it may well push some lazy asses to get vaxxed

They'll just buy the cards off ebay and lie and put numbers and "MODERNA" on it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

There needs to be a lot more of that and not just in festivals or events. The more stores, locations, events etc. that demand proof of vaccination the more likely people will just do it so they aren't constantly inconvenienced by/barred from an area or activity.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

They'll just buy the cards off ebay and lie and put numbers and "MODERNA" on it.

That's why there needs to be an unfalsifiable database of people who are vaccinated.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I think most people who are vaccine hesitant are just lazy about it and I'm skeptical that those lazy people will decide it's easier to forge a vaccine card than to just get one.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Looking at mine, I could make one here myself if I were inclined (actually I can't as I don't have a printer, I'd need some kind goon to carry one over for me)

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The feasibility of this depends entirely on how that app verifies the vaccines. If it uses the state databases, which exist in most states and have backends that can be accessed if you're willing to jump through the proper hoops, they'll just be wasting their money.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Play posted:

That's why there needs to be an unfalsifiable database of people who are vaccinated.

I agree with this but my experience with this whole lovely covidmania has been that even people in court are too lazy to ask people to put on a mask, so I really doubt they're gonna go to that extent. The Superbowl and Wrestlemania had live crowds full of unmasked people and nobody could even try to pan the camera away from them. If the apathy is that overwhelming, I really doubt an outdoor music festival with 400,000 attendees (per 2019 figures) is going to have the manpower on hand necessary to check everybody or even bring themselves to care.

E: Obviously I hope for different, but my doubts have some evidence behind them. Also, it is a ways away so maybe there will be so many people vaccinated that it won't really matter?

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 18, 2021

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

Play
Apr 25, 2006

You could also get this from any random homeless person on the street, lol.

I can confirm that even comparing the two is loving insulting, Americans are absolute babies and you could easily just get randomly sick and have it be many times worse than the vaccine side effects.

This is like comparing a splinter in your palm to having cancer and receiving chemotherapy, they aren't even in the same ballpark lol

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I agree with this but my experience with this whole lovely covidmania has been that even people in court are too lazy to ask people to put on a mask, so I really doubt they're gonna go to that extent. The Superbowl and Wrestlemania had live crowds full of unmasked people and nobody could even try to pan the camera away from them. If the apathy is that overwhelming, I really doubt an outdoor music festival with 400,000 attendees (per 2019 figures) is going to have the manpower on hand necessary to check everybody or even bring themselves to care.

E: Obviously I hope for different, but my doubts have some evidence behind them. Also, it is a ways away so maybe there will be so many people vaccinated that it won't really matter?

I agree it's difficult and unlikely to happen since the word "database" triggers all the conspiracy theorist freaks, but I still think it is absolutely necessary. And nothing would help us get to herd immunity more quickly than telling people they can't go somewhere or do something until they are vaccinated.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

gohuskies posted:

I think most people who are vaccine hesitant are just lazy about it and I'm skeptical that those lazy people will decide it's easier to forge a vaccine card than to just get one.

This. It's anecdotal, but I know two people that aren't anti vax, just dumb and don't pay attention to the news. I asked one if she was vaxxed, her response was "It's not in my area yet". This is in a state that opened it up to everyone in late March and she lives in the heart of the city. Also this conversation only happened a week ago. So I corrected her and said it's very available in her area. Then she asked how much it costs. Again, I really thought everyone knew it was free. So thankfully she has now gotten her first shot.

Another person I know didn't know where to get it. I told her it's available drat near anywhere now like grocery stores, WalMarts, pharmacies, etc. Then she said she didn't know how to make an appointment. I told her an appointment isn't necessary now. Then she asked how much it cost....

I have a feeling the clueless and uninformed and not very concerned make up a pretty large part of the "vaccine hesitatant".

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Looking at mine, I could make one here myself if I were inclined (actually I can't as I don't have a printer, I'd need some kind goon to carry one over for me)

Fine but you better be wearing something skimpy.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
At my job we're working from home still. The company is spread out all over as some kind of global thing (I just joined 2 months ago, I dunno). So in Philadelphia, they sent out an email saying they would allow employees to go on company time to get vaccinated, and not miss any paid time for it. I asked my boss here (in another state) if I could go get mine. I had to use my lunch break and make up the time I missed because of a huge traffic accident on the way. So I'm kind of bitter they pulled that.

I still have to wait unit the 1st to get my second Moderna shot. But after the first one, I only had the weird brain problems a fever gives. But nothing else. I didn't even notice it until I realized I spent a half hour writing really irrelevant jokes. My arm didn't hurt. I got the shot in my upper shoulder, and lower in my arm felt a little weird a few days later. But more of a feeling like I worked the muscle too much than any kind of pain feeling. I'm just gonna be happy when I get the other one done and over with.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If you didn't know about your coworker's grandson would it change your opinion of it?

(I hope he recovers)

I think it’s crazy to have anything full scale yet. When they announced Broadway was going to 100% open in the fall, my reaction was the same. :stare:

Even though I’m vaccinated, it’s really really hard to imagine going to anything indoors like that any time soon. The only place I am really itching to go back to is the gym but even that worries me now with the whole ‘vaccinated people don’t have to wear masks’ thing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The place I got vaccinated sent me a link so I could add my vaccination record to my Apple wallet which shows the dates and has a QR code which can be scanned.

That’s really the only trustworthy way it’s gonna work.

The physical cards are a joke.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

The place I got vaccinated sent me a link so I could add my vaccination record to my Apple wallet which shows the dates and has a QR code which can be scanned.

That’s really the only trustworthy way it’s gonna work.

The physical cards are a joke.

Where'd you get poked? Kroger hasn't done anything like this for me. I'd be way cool with it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Where'd you get poked? Kroger hasn't done anything like this for me. I'd be way cool with it.

It was done through LA county but they used a third party (carbon Health which I had never heard of).

I have to imagine other places will try and roll something similar out. It doesn’t seem that difficult.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

the app we registered with in orange county, CA, to set up an appointment for the vax (Othena) also has a digital record of it including the date, manufacturer lot number, and location of each injection, and there's a place to upload photos of your card as well

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I put my vax record on the Blockchain so that it will forever be decentralized

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

foreverally vaccinatified

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

quote:

A nurse who administered just one vaccine in the course of an eight-hour shift at one of Victoria’s mass vaccination hubs says she is “furious” at the “snail’s pace” of the vaccine rollout.

The nurse said working in Australia was a drastically different experience to places such as the UK and US, where people were streaming through vaccination centre doors.

“During one eight-hour shift I gave just one vaccine, and I came out afterwards just fuming,” she told Guardian Australia. “It’s slow, it’s frustrating for the nurses, and it’s concerning that Australia seems to take this attitude of, ‘let’s just shut the borders for as long as possible’ while there is vaccine just sitting there.”

The nurse, who did not want her name used as employees are not allowed to speak to the media, said supply at the vaccine centre was not an issue – “there’s plenty,” she said. But people were not coming, she said. It was so slow that anyone who walked in without an appointment could get vaccinated even if they were not strictly in an eligible category, she said.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...amps-up-rollout

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

I put my vax record on the Blockchain so that it will forever be decentralized

I made an NFT out of my vax record. Accepting bids now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1394789875853971456?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

The COVID Stanley Cup is a shitshow for western Canada so I am choosing to invest myself in this competition instead https://trevortombe.github.io/covidgraphs/usa

You can do it, little red line! You can surpass! :canada:

Just contributed my first dose today. Pfizer :cheersdoge:
After about three hours my husband claimed he was a little lightheaded, and I maybe felt the same but had dismissed it as unrelated. Almost 5 hours now and not even feeling that. I got my sleeping arm jabbed so I hope I can sleep tonight though. It's not sore yet.
I keep wondering if I am feeling aches but I am old and always feel aches so I dunno :negative: