Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Think Less posted:

The Phenomenon documentary on Netflix is pretty good. The Zimbabwe encounter was loving creepy as hell

Edit: guess its not on Netflix anymore. Available elsewhere though

Watched it now and yeah the schoolchildren talking about environmental stuff seems to be a bit much for them to all concoct it as a hoax to mess with their teachers or something.

That and the missile base stuff is strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

you would think 60 minutes guy who said he saw these things every day for years would be able to get a bunch of good pictures

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mola Yam posted:

what exactly do you find so compelling about the zamora case?

for me, it's the fact that, even if it was a simple encounter with an experimental aircraft (and it's certainly possible, given the proximity to the white sands proving ground), the apparent level of technology would have been far in advance of what was on hand in 1964, and would likely even eclipse modern VTOL tech. either american scientists figured out how to create a self-stabilizing craft with an otherwise convention-defying design and ran into insurmountable challenges to wider adoption, or something genuinely extraordinary took place

Vermain has issued a correction as of 15:24 on May 18, 2021

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The great filter was postulated as an answer to why there don't seem to be any aliens around. You can't invoke it as evidence that they don't exist.

my rear end cheeks are the great filter, every time they clap a planet gets denuded of all life by massive gamma ray exposure ionizing away their atmosphere.

I'm not invoking it as evidence, i'm saying it's real and cool and my friend

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

StratGoatCom posted:

This is what they've shown us. If aircraft start going missing under sketch circumstances, worry.

and even then its a countdown till they find out the pilot decided to take a drunk joyride

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Watched it now and yeah the schoolchildren talking about environmental stuff seems to be a bit much for them to all concoct it as a hoax to mess with their teachers or something.

That and the missile base stuff is strange.

This article from 2014 interviews one of the children years later and has some additional details. This part is just sad to me:

https://mg.co.za/article/2014-09-04-remembering-zimbabwes-great-alien-invasion/

quote:

"You want to know the real message here? The real message is that this stuff can brand you for life. It undermined Mack’s credibility, became this huge unending thing for others, and it certainly hosed me up. I mean, try telling people that you live in permanent fear of these things returning one day. Try telling them that you can actually sense when they’re back in our atmosphere. They’ll think you’re a kook. All this lot do,” she said, casting mock-angry eyes down the bar at a fellow boozer, who raised his glass and said: “True, but we love you anyway, Sê.”

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

There is really no examples of a species observing another species that it considers a lesser. Therefore there are no aliens.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Fried Watermelon posted:

There is really no examples of a species observing another species that it considers a lesser. Therefore there are no aliens.

Okay sure but I love eating shrimp.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

here is a blog by some guy who did a convincing takedown of Bob Lazar:
https://www.otherhand.org/home-page/area-51-and-other-strange-places/looking-at-the-bob-lazar-story-from-the-perspective-of-2018/

I guess I'm a buzzkill on the whole UFO thing. Even if these sightings belonged to foreign spycraft with the highly advanced tech some claim, I would be surprised. For example that 60 Minutes sighting with the woman pilot who saw a 'white Tic-Tac' following her jet and mimicking her movements - that strikes me as a reflective phenomenon.

There is a difference between believing in alien visitation and alien life out in the cosmos, of course. The latter is extremely likely. But for whatever reason being skeptical about the former suggests skepticism about the latter in discourse.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

here is a blog by some guy who did a convincing takedown of Bob Lazar:
https://www.otherhand.org/home-page/area-51-and-other-strange-places/looking-at-the-bob-lazar-story-from-the-perspective-of-2018/

I guess I'm a buzzkill on the whole UFO thing. Even if these sightings belonged to foreign spycraft with the highly advanced tech some claim, I would be surprised. For example that 60 Minutes sighting with the woman pilot who saw a 'white Tic-Tac' following her jet and mimicking her movements - that strikes me as a reflective phenomenon.

There is a difference between believing in alien visitation and alien life out in the cosmos, of course. The latter is extremely likely. But for whatever reason being skeptical about the former suggests skepticism about the latter in discourse.

Yeah I definitely think alien life exists but the likelihood of an intelligent species ever having physically been to this particular solar system (and maybe any other than their own) is pretty low. On the other hand I would also not be terribly surprised to learn that once we harnessed nuclear power we got someone's attention and they have been keeping an eye on us somehow. I think people are too focused on physical presence though and not some weird quantum/time stuff that an advanced civilization would probably figure out at some point. Like we're basically still monkeys and we are already starting to grasp the basics of quantum mechanics, with a really long way to go before we actually figure out how it all works.

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

I like how the interviews and reports like to talk up the credibility of the pilots by pointing out that they’re successful military officers. No one in the military could be a stupid man!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

The more of these news reports that I see, the more that I am buying the take that this whole media push is just trying to get more space force funding lmao

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

TeenageArchipelago posted:

The more of these news reports that I see, the more that I am buying the take that this whole media push is just trying to get more space force funding lmao

navy wants their piece of the pie :colbert:

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
oh trust me navy's already got the aircraft angle covered, they're just not showoffs like the Air Force

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
son-of-the-cia & former president (not that one, the other one) talking about ufos

https://twitter.com/CrewcutYoutube/status/1394668533150359558

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
They're here to warn us about the Clathrate Gun, and also because we have strip clubs.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

If I am wrong about aliens and they read my posts: I am gay enough to gently caress anything anywhere no matter how many genders you do or do not have I will join your space polycule and I am happy to be a grey's big spoon

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's weird right?
Why is this all of the sudden acceptable popular news again after having been relegated to the fringe for half a century

well compared with QAnon and flat earth its downright sensible

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

People just want to gently caress aliens. You show someone a weird alien and there's gonna be a guy who wants to gently caress it. This is how we get peace in our time

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

People just want to gently caress aliens. You show someone a weird alien and there's gonna be a guy who wants to gently caress it. This is how we get peace in our time

It is my suspicion that the aliens are completely asexual and that everytime they come down and see how horny earth is they push their reveal back another decade

Caligula ruined first contact for centuries

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I am also accepting invitations to alien cuddle parties

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

not going to lie, I'm finding some of these stories pretty fun to speculate about. Zimbabwe, the 350 or so students and teachers in Australia, all seeing wacky poo poo.

What other stories along these lines are must read for crazy content?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

not going to lie, I'm finding some of these stories pretty fun to speculate about. Zimbabwe, the 350 or so students and teachers in Australia, all seeing wacky poo poo.

I like Shag Harbor, lots of witnesses that give it the vibe of something happening for sure. it feels like there is probably a 'boring' terrestrial explanation but if so, what secret aviation/space program was it??

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

tokin opposition posted:

the asexuality or agender nature of these guys is uh heavily exaggerated

androgynous is perhaps more accurate a descriptor for most of distinguished groups

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
the CIA is jealous that the aliens are mating with whales instead of our brave soldiers :geoduck:

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Bilirubin posted:

not focused on aliens but satanic ritual abuse and satanic panic are a good look at mass delusions

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

tokin opposition posted:

these aren't ur grandpa's space ace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYKzlKZzGZc

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

dexter is actually an asexual, that's why he and his platonic life partner adopted the evil baby

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Vomik posted:

not focused on aliens but satanic ritual abuse and satanic panic are a good look at mass delusions

The satanic panick is usually a bunch of smaller events distributed over time with only individuals or small groups of people claiming to see something weird. The big events like Zimbabwe are much more punctuated and involve more collaboration.

Skinwalker ranch and all the fuckery that happens out that way better fits the mold of mass delusion. However stuff like the cattle mutilation that goes along with it is material that exists regardless of any delusions.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
If you look up the wiki page for the Franklin coverup, it's completely dismissed as a hoax based on the fact that the witnesses either perjured themselves or refused to testify. However, there's a lot of evidence that there was a child trafficking ring operated out of omaha. This ties into the satanic panic. It's especially weird looking back at this in light of what we know about Epstein too.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2012/09/10/still-evil-after-all-these-years/

quote:

I should also say that I’ve looked at his evidence, listened to interviews, sorted through 200 receipts for planes chartered by Larry King with five-to-eight unnamed passengers, and I’ve read the book carefully. I can think of no innocent explanation for why King would be flying children, some of them spirited out of the Catholic orphanage Boys Town, around the United States, mostly to Washington. I’ve listened to Nick at great length on the phone about all of this as he was reporting. I have listened to him in the immediate aftermath of strange phone calls and death threats over the years.

This isn’t “conspiracy theory.” It’s one of the best investigative books I’ve ever read. If it’s true, then there are significant elements in America’s ruling class that are depraved beyond Caligula’s dreams. And I don’t see how it isn’t true.

Last pod on the left did a good series about this too

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Anyway my take is still that any aliens that are able to make it here but haven't been helping us bootstrap our energy generation and storage tech to prevent climate change are assholes

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Think Less posted:

Quite a few abduction/encounter episodes have the aliens transmitting messages about ecological collapse. When did climate change really enter public consciousness?

Greenpeace campaigned on it in the mid-late 80s, we called it global warming back then though.

Modern political ecological movement dates back late 60s-early 70s. Rachel Carson's book Silent Spring was a watershed, with Love Canal and 3 Mile Island being major drivers as well. Not sure when global warming became an issue though.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Wot if ET never had a weed or booze equivalent? Wot if we get discovered by space Mormons? Is it even worth it?

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Think Less posted:

If you look up the wiki page for the Franklin coverup, it's completely dismissed as a hoax based on the fact that the witnesses either perjured themselves or refused to testify. However, there's a lot of evidence that there was a child trafficking ring operated out of omaha. This ties into the satanic panic. It's especially weird looking back at this in light of what we know about Epstein too.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2012/09/10/still-evil-after-all-these-years/

Last pod on the left did a good series about this too

What the gently caress? Larry King as in Larry King live? I've never heard about this before.

Just read the actual article, was about to lose my loving mind. I mean, this is still making me lose my loving mind, just in a different way.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
lmao that'd be awesome but I'm afraid not

https://medium.com/the-true-crime-edition/the-omaha-pedophile-network-63705acd15a1

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The aliens wouldn't interfere with our culture because any species assholeish enough to not have already ended capitalism are clearly keeping watch on us as a prank. When all but a small ragtag group of inexplicably hot survivors are dead they'll come down, call humanity the alien r word, and blow space weed in their faces.

Then they build a sick hoverboard park out of human bones

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Anyway my take is still that any aliens that are able to make it here but haven't been helping us bootstrap our energy generation and storage tech to prevent climate change are assholes

Why would they want us to not kill ourselves? The human race has let itself be ruled by psychos for its entire history while the vast majority suffers. If you were an alien would you want a bunch of maniac assholes flying around the galaxy? I could see aliens wanting to determine if humans could kill all the psychos before they let us in the ufo club, that's a fun idea

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

come on folks, it’s called the Prime Directive

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

dew worm posted:

come on folks, it’s called the Prime Directive

More like the "They still killing each other because of their skin colors and artificial scarcity? Alright, check back in another century I guess"...directive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Please give me Fully Automated Luxury Gay Earth Communism Reconstruction Mr ET sir, my family is dying