Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Silca baby what are you doing??

this is a computer mount

:awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

they knew what they were doing

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

TobinHatesYou posted:

There was no way to seat it normally even with a shop compressor.

were you taking the valve core out and using an air nozzle?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Guinness posted:

they knew what they were doing

Putting those long bottom bolts in single shear, loading up with a big Hammerhead GPS.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

TobinHatesYou posted:

It’s literally so I can confidently ride in the middle of the lane of a country road where there’s no crap/debris without constantly glancing over my shoulder. I hear the beep, I move over.

Also it can detect cars from almost 500ft away, and how fast they are going. Red means “I’m in danger.”

The pro move on group rides is remembering anyone can link to anyone else’s radar. Your entire group can piggyback off one.

Huh, this is the first description of using the radar that intuitively makes sense to me. I've debated getting one, but I could never see how it would really change how I feel or behave on the road... What do I do with the information that a car is behind me when I'm riding by myself, on the right side of the lane, with a light? If somebody is going to overtake me unsafely, they will do it regardless. It's legally required around here to give cyclists at least 1.5m distance when overtaking and not most drivers tend to respect that, especially outside of city limits where the speed differential is higher. Some drivers don't respect it and yes, they put my life at risk, but how is the radar helping me if I am riding safely and legally?

But it's interesting to see the positive opinions on it here! Maybe I'll give it a shot after all.

Also, I missed hitch rack chat by a couple pages, but do I need to worry at all about the clamps on a hitch rack damaging a carbon frame? Something like this:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Thule has clamps with torque limitations specifically for carbon frames, like this: https://www.thule.com/en-gb/bike-rack/towbar-bike-rack-accessories/thule-acutight-knob-_-528001

But eh, just don't clamp down -too- hard and it'll be fine. At least, that's what I do with my bike on my thule rack!

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Serendipitaet posted:

Also, I missed hitch rack chat by a couple pages, but do I need to worry at all about the clamps on a hitch rack damaging a carbon frame? Something like this:

Short answer: yes, you do need to be cautious when clamping anything to a carbon fiber frame, as they are not intended to be used that way. Too tight and the tube could crumple, too loose and the bike could sway and the paint get ruined.
That design looks a little better as it still has supports for the wheels, so it isn't fully suspending the bike from just the top tube.

However, personally, that concern is why I went with a style that only clamps to the wheels rather than needing to clamp to the frame.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Now that we have established the utility of the radar - do folks (other than EvilJoven - thank you!) have opinions on Garmin v Wahoo bike computers?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Sab0921 posted:

Now that we have established the utility of the radar - do folks (other than EvilJoven - thank you!) have opinions on Garmin v Wahoo bike computers?

They both work just fine with the radar.

If you want to do structured workouts outside, Wahoo is hands down better in its UI.
If you want the best hardware and best gps accuracy, Garmin is much better.

Everything else is down to personal preference imo.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Sab0921 posted:

I've never used a Garmin computer so I can't make the comparison, but I think the Wahoo Element Bolt works great. Accurate GPS, the screen is quite visible in just about any light conditions, the navigation works great with the phone app connection, and it's relatively cheap. I don't mind pulling out my phone if I want to change the route I want it to navigate for me and I don't need a lot of bells and whistles fancy features. What I want from a computer is to load in a route from Strava or Ride With GPS, for it to give me the directions for the route as I ride, and then to track all the data accurately for upload, and that's it. The Wahoo Bolt delivers that.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

bicievino posted:

They both work just fine with the radar.

If you want to do structured workouts outside, Wahoo is hands down better in its UI.
If you want the best hardware and best gps accuracy, Garmin is much better.

Everything else is down to personal preference imo.

:hmmyes:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

gohuskies posted:

What I want from a computer is to load in a route from Strava or Ride With GPS, for it to give me the directions for the route as I ride, and then to track all the data accurately for upload, and that's it. The Wahoo Bolt delivers that.

This is me too (original ELEMNT though). I don't know if it's got any better recently but going by experiences from weekly group rides of 10-15 peeps a year back pre covid, everyone wahoo had the advertised route on them without fail, barely anyone on their garmins as it was too much hassle, especially for the older boys and girls

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Wahoo and Garmins are both great and suck in different ways. I think bicievino sums it up nicely. I had a Bolt and have generally been happier with my 530 despite having to take a little while to configure the screens for what I want and turning off lots of the new features to make it more like an old school dumb 500.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I still use a 520 because I already know where I'm going.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
worth noting that the Wahoo stuff is much easier to setup because you can use an app to configure screens, change settings, etc.
Garmin makes you do it on the unit and you have to navigate their maze of menus and figure out what buttons do what etc etc
I'm sure it's fine once you get used to it but it seems needlessly hard initially

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Levitate posted:

worth noting that the Wahoo stuff is much easier to setup because you can use an app to configure screens, change settings, etc.
Garmin makes you do it on the unit and you have to navigate their maze of menus and figure out what buttons do what etc etc
I'm sure it's fine once you get used to it but it seems needlessly hard initially

This is a fair shout. I have a garmin watch for running so the garmin head unit made a lot of sense to me, but it's definitely a bit of a faff the first time.

That being said, if you're specifically buying it to work with the varia, I wouldn't complicate things too much; just buy the same manufacturer for both.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

meltie posted:

This is a fair shout. I have a garmin watch for running so the garmin head unit made a lot of sense to me, but it's definitely a bit of a faff the first time.

That being said, if you're specifically buying it to work with the varia, I wouldn't complicate things too much; just buy the same manufacturer for both.

I think this is what I'm going to do - thanks for the feedback everyone, the conclusion seems to be they're both good.

It would be kind of funny if there were bike computer fanboys though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Sab0921 posted:

Easily 40% of this thread.

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010
I love that the 530 has a "navigate back to start" button that can either retrace your route or calculate a shortest path using the map regions you load. Saved my butt both road and mountain biking.

Setting up the data screens initially is obtuse though.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I wasn't even aware radar was a thing I could buy and now I'm shopping. My beard likes to get in the way of me seeing whether or not I'm going to get hit by a car when I look over my shoulders and I'd rather not get hit by a car.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

that's a fierce beard

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I've never actually configured a Garmin bike computer I thought it also had an app that was just as dead simple as Wahoo's.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

EvilJoven posted:

I've never actually configured a Garmin bike computer I thought it also had an app that was just as dead simple as Wahoo's.

ahahahahahahahahahah

Garmin does a lot of things right and cool and then shits all over it with their UI

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Garmin GUIs are …… something. I try to never change my mind on what a page should be so I never have to go back into the menus.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
That sounds like the Garmin I know from hiking nautical and aviation GPS units. I thought maybe their cycling division wasn't quite as obtuse. IIRC I also showed a former coworker how easy it was dealing with the Wahoo via the app once and he was all 'Who cares my Garmin can do that too!' but he was a poo poo for brains.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The thing that worries me about Garmin is the idea of trying to navigate a touch screen with sweaty hands.

That's been a problem when I've had to drag my phone out during a ride and I figured that would be a bigger problem with a smaller screen mounted right in the spash zone.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Weembles posted:

The thing that worries me about Garmin is the idea of trying to navigate a touch screen with sweaty hands.

That's been a problem when I've had to drag my phone out during a ride and I figured that would be a bigger problem with a smaller screen mounted right in the spash zone.

You're in luck, the 530 doesn't have a touch screen. Entering my 15 character wifi password during setup was NOT fun.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna throw this out there that if the Garmin doesn't have an easy to use phone app maybe get the wahoo. Setting up my screens and wifi was basically scanning a QR code with the phone app and then flicking a few toggles and then dragging the fields around...

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

I think this is what I'm going to do - thanks for the feedback everyone, the conclusion seems to be they're both good.

Giant Neostracker didn't get enough love

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

After setting up my Garmin screens once I pretty much never change them. Yeah whatever its fiddly for a few minutes the first time but then its a non-issue.

But both Wahoo and Garmin are good so do whatever you like

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Giant Neostracker didn't get enough love

I had one when I left my first Wahoo on the bumper of the truck and lost it and wanted to see if I could make due with a cheaper computer.

I sold it after a few months and got another Wahoo.

The NeosTrack is bad.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

80.5 mile ride.

My legs are going to be sore as gently caress tomorrow.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

EvilJoven posted:

I'm gonna throw this out there that if the Garmin doesn't have an easy to use phone app maybe get the wahoo. Setting up my screens and wifi was basically scanning a QR code with the phone app and then flicking a few toggles and then dragging the fields around...

Does the Wahoo have the "return to start" button that someone mentioned the Garmin having upthread?

iospace posted:

80.5 mile ride.

:stonk:

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Garmin also allows for good page flexibility in how information is presented to you. Wahoo lets you change the number of fields and there is only one layout.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

vikingstrike posted:

Garmin also allows for good page flexibility in how information is presented to you. Wahoo lets you change the number of fields and there is only one layout.

You can change the order and location of the data in that layout though, just to be clear

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
i believe the garmin can control bike lights, whereas the wahoo cannot

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
There's actually multiple layouts on Wahoo.

But drat that return to start Garmin has sounds really awesome. Wahoo doesn't even let you navigate to a POI natively, you gotta upload your route from another source like RWGPS or Strava.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

vikingstrike posted:

not quite sure what you mean? wahoo lets you change the fields on the page and you can zoom in and out to control how many you see. I believe it respects the order you put the fields in as well but I haven’t played with it in a while. that seems like “good page flexibility” to me, is the garmin doing a lot more?

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

iospace posted:

80.5 mile ride.

Awesome!! This is weird but that feeling is almost like a security blanket to me. Keep racking up these miles!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Dren posted:

not quite sure what you mean? wahoo lets you change the fields on the page and you can zoom in and out to control how many you see. I believe it respects the order you put the fields in as well but I haven’t played with it in a while. that seems like “good page flexibility” to me, is the garmin doing a lot more?

Garmin has a few different ways that 4 fields (or however many) can be shown. Wahoo doesnt. You can change the fields and the order to kinda get around it but its the same layout design.