Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
World Map should include alternate Pangea instructions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
And extra ocean pieces so you can blot out Florida in 30 years.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Why wait?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Is that map only 1x1 studs? It might take the prize for most irritating set to build.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

VaultAggie posted:

Is that map only 1x1 studs? It might take the prize for most irritating set to build.

At least they're not the square tiles.

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost
I kinda like the map although a different color for the continents would be better. It's probably gonna cost more than I'd be willing to pay for it though.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Y'know what sounds like fun? Opening MSPaint and filling in a 128x75 .BMP one pixel at a time.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I pray for my fellow weirdos who make sure that the print on the pieces all faces the same way with that one.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

FBS posted:

Y'know what sounds like fun? Opening MSPaint and filling in a 128x75 .BMP one pixel at a time.

The pixel artist of my teen years just got a boner

I mean he does that a lot but this one's massive

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

People in FB groups are showing their whole rear end with statements like ‘when did Lego get all political?’ and generally being trash.

My usual answer is when Lando Calrissian made them change Star Wars figs from all bright yellow to various flesh tones, so Lego has been political since 2003.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wouldn't answer people like that at all, it's just a dumb bigoted dog whistle. There's absolutely no reasonable discussion to be had with them.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

VaultAggie posted:

If it's like the other art sets, you build it on 16x16 plates with paint-by-numbers style instructions and then connect all the plates together with technic pins.

I got one of the Beatles sets and it was a good set to put together with movies on in the background.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Step 3 is when you adjust the flat square tile ever so slightly tons of times until it's straight.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

xzzy posted:

Those people that spend who knows how much time and/or money collecting monochrome minifigs are gonna be real annoyed or real happy right now.

The guy with the dedicated website selling monochrome minifigs for $9 a pop just had a brain hemorrhage and died.

PKMN Trainer Red fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 18, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

FBS posted:

Your analogy could be cynically used for a lot of lego, but with minecraft or other building games in place of mspaint.

Lego will always be more fun because it's a physical toy. Granted, there's so many better sets you can get for the same amount of money, but I can almost see an appeal to just sticking together those small bits while listening to a podcast, or with a movie on.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I would 100% buy a mosaic set with blue oceans and elevation-coded land if it had alternate builds for Pangaea.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

There's a whole crowd of people buying maps of the world who like to hang them and mark all the places they have been and use it as a conversation piece. If have several of those people as friends. They will love this map seeing as Lego is loving cool now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I went to the Lego store for the first time in forever today, yay they were sold out of literally everything i went in for.

But I did get to take a look at some sets in person and wow, Monkee Kid is an amazing line. I'm not the target demo and I'm not personally going to but anything from it but as kids toys they are really impressive and remind me a lot of Ninjago Movie, which is what I would consider the best builds of any kids line they have done.

Also the Batwing is very cool and shockingly huge. I think that's going to be my next big one. Still no idea where I'd put it atm since I'm not huge on wall hanging. Definitely getting it though.

Is the 60's Batmobile Lego store exclusive? I can't find it for sale anywhere else and Lego is always sold out. Really wanted to get that for myself and the bouquet for my mom and that was sold out too despite the website saying it was in stock :sigh: Got her the Bonsai which is also very cool, so nbd. Almost grabbed one for myself. They had a damaged box one. I should have just grabbed two.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Get in the habit of calling ahead of time to ask about what’s in stock.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

The pixel artist of my teen years just got a boner

I mean he does that a lot but this one's massive

Not an empty quote. Just pure appreciation.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

veni veni veni posted:

I went to the Lego store for the first time in forever today, yay they were sold out of literally everything i went in for.

But I did get to take a look at some sets in person and wow, Monkee Kid is an amazing line. I'm not the target demo and I'm not personally going to but anything from it but as kids toys they are really impressive and remind me a lot of Ninjago Movie, which is what I would consider the best builds of any kids line they have done.

Also the Batwing is very cool and shockingly huge. I think that's going to be my next big one. Still no idea where I'd put it atm since I'm not huge on wall hanging. Definitely getting it though.

Is the 60's Batmobile Lego store exclusive? I can't find it for sale anywhere else and Lego is always sold out. Really wanted to get that for myself and the bouquet for my mom and that was sold out too despite the website saying it was in stock :sigh: Got her the Bonsai which is also very cool, so nbd. Almost grabbed one for myself. They had a damaged box one. I should have just grabbed two.

Saw the 66 Batmobile at Walmart

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I love maps, and even bathymetry, but I also wish it was topographic too. Like I actually recently got a shower curtain that's a topographic map of the world.

This MOC is a bit better: https://dirks-blog.tumblr.com/LEGO-world-map

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Jehde posted:

I love maps, and even bathymetry, but I also wish it was topographic too. Like I actually recently got a shower curtain that's a topographic map of the world.

This MOC is a bit better: https://dirks-blog.tumblr.com/LEGO-world-map

that's so much better than what they're putting out it's unreal

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Electromax posted:

Step 3 is when you adjust the flat square tile ever so slightly tons of times until it's straight.

i keep looking for the loss edit.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

FBS posted:

https://m.imgur.com/IoHU6J7

:colbert:

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 18, 2021

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

veni veni veni posted:

I ordered one from lego.com along with a bonsai. Just got an email today saying it will take longer than expected to fulfil my order and to just hang in there. Don't really have much choice.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

engessa posted:

There's a whole crowd of people buying maps of the world who like to hang them and mark all the places they have been and use it as a conversation piece. If have several of those people as friends. They will love this map seeing as Lego is loving cool now.

Yeah but they also would want the continents detailed rather than the sea if it has to be either. I don't understand why the continents are flat grey...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like a LEGO topographic map would be really cool but that mosaic thing has to be one of the most unappealing LEGO sets I’ve ever seen.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

People in FB groups are showing their whole rear end with statements like ‘when did Lego get all political?’ and generally being trash.

People are terrible. That's not even a rainbow! :cripes:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
How cool would it be if Lego started selling same sex wedding vignettes?

I went into a store 4 years ago to buy 2 wedding sets for gay friends to combine into a 2 groom set. I told the guy in the store when he asked whether I was going to 2 weddings and he loved the idea so much, he and a colleague checked in the back to see if they had a openen package set so they could give me a second groom for free. He even called the other store in Munich to ask if they had one.

They didn't, but I happily bought 2 sets then and there because that was a great experience and I loved how much they cared.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hopper posted:

How cool would it be if Lego started selling same sex wedding vignettes?
It'd be good.

They did a better job with the Bride / Groom brickheads by making them separate and customisable.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The world map would have been a cool thing imo if they went for blue tones on the oceans, and actually green, brown, sand and grey tones for the land mass, and if they would have gone a step further in regard to the mosaic idea and actually made slight elevations where larger mountain groups are (just one or two 1x1 round plates under the tile). That would have given a really good 3d effect and it might have been something I would have bought. This thing is totally unappealing to me.

Then again, 1x1 tiles and plates are pieces that you can get super cheap from alternative manfucaturers, and the risk of them clutching poorly is also negligible. Pixelating a worldmap is also pretty simple. I might actually give this a try.

Are there lego sets with glow in the dark 1x1 round plates? Would be cool for larger cities...

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
What you want is clear 1x1s with LEDs through the back canvas so you can simulate the cities illuminating their surroundings

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

That would be even better, but :effort:

And having worked with a bunch of the lighting sets that come with Mould King etc., I think I pass.

(then again, this might be the first, good use for that astronomocially expensive board from LightStax)

e: lol, lightstax already made something similar with the board:
https://www.light-stax.de/shop/article/stax-weltkugel.html
Price is absurd, of course, as it is for the board itself.

Sadly.

ee: of course someone made something similar from what I described:

hmm....two lightstax boards might work....just have to find a place that sells them way under retail...

tuo fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 19, 2021

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I really like the idea of a Lego world map, have even been toying with the idea of designing one of my own, but the thing Lego has made here is so unappealing.
Topographic oceans and white continents? The only redeeming quality of this set is that it will put more 16x16 technic bricks into circulation, as these are still expensive and i need 150 of them.

https://www.poe-vault.com/guides/impale-cyclone-champion-build-guide

This one linked and discussed above is so much better. It looks genuinely good as not just a set and display piece but it looks good as a map as well. It even has a legend at the bottom. And worst of all is that it is HALF the piece count of Lego's own map, (sure, some of these pieces have a larger volume) so it should cost roughly the same to produce.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I have used LEDs, wire and a psu to make posters with lights in them before, it is not difficult and costs under :10:. Combine that with additional no name base plates you don't mind damaging and a drill and that might work. You just need someone competent at designing simple circuits to figure out the exact wiring plan if you can't do it yourself.

But yeah, :effort:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I have a bunch of similar lighting sets lying around (mostly Mould King). And since I mostly use thirdparty base- and buildplates, I have no problem drilling into them. Might give it a try (as the lighting kits already have pre-assembled 1x1 trans-clear round plates with LED and wiring in them).

Might be a project for the winter, maybe the lego worldmap has been heavily discounted by then so I also could use the technic foundation from it.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Electromax posted:

Use the orange brick tool to perfectly align pieces like that first shot.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Teal brick seperator getting no love

e: actually, the mosaic brick seperator is even better if you have to align a lot of 1x1 square tiles/plates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Spookydonut posted:

Use the orange brick tool to perfectly align pieces like that first shot.

I just press them against the table to get them aligned.