Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Best Friends posted:

https://twitter.com/afp/status/1394446081723801604?s=21

Biden's fp so far is a direct continuation of trump's. The optics internally are different - Trump would be bragging about this while Biden keeps quiet -but the actual policy is the same. I was hopeful with the Yemen announcement but it doesn't seem like that was meaningful.

this is heartbreaking. to raise your daughter the best you can, in those difficult conditions, just to find out she's a Hamas combatant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/EllieRushing/status/1394389466115104770?s=20

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

In short cops have no rules of engagement when it comes to protests. This certainly won't lead to a spiral where protestors get fed up with police and overwhelm them with sheer numbers.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
AJAB?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Hooooooooooooooo

https://twitter.com/mattshuham/status/1394666856171122692?s=19

ly poo poo.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

That is certainly a statement

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I mean, slurs aside, I've seen similar sentiments on this board.

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1393732718064586753?s=20

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Wasabi the J posted:

I mean, slurs aside, I've seen similar sentiments on this board.

The catch is that it's literally his OWN LAWYER saying this poo poo, about him, in the papers. It's like:

https://twitter.com/Ugarles/status/1394683736042709003?s=19

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The only people I see so far taking advantage of the new cdc guidance are older white dudes. Everyone else seems to be a fan of masks still.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I do hope that since for the most of the US the idea of wearing a mask on the regular has had the glass broken, is kind of normalized now, that people will start wearing them every flu season. There was no flu season this year. At least anecdotally, every year our ER gets packed full of influenza pneumonia, but this year I don’t think any of us admitted a single case of it to the hospital. It is awesome how effective masks are in stopping the spread of a virus we’ve lived with for 200 years and kills a million people or more a year. It’s just awesome.

In actuality we will probably keep seeing conservative states get wrecked by viruses (flu, covid) year after year while Democratic states fare much better. I wonder what will happen to the general political demographics/landscape of this country after a few years of conservatives dying significantly more often than liberals. As more die they seem to just get more entrenched in their beliefs, and thus more die, and so on. I can absolutely imagine this affecting voter turnout in conservative states to the point where they’ll shift blue in a few years.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Blind Rasputin posted:

I do hope that since for the most of the US the idea of wearing a mask on the regular has had the glass broken, is kind of normalized now, that people will start wearing them every flu season. There was no flu season this year. At least anecdotally, every year our ER gets packed full of influenza pneumonia, but this year I don’t think any of us admitted a single case of it to the hospital. It is awesome how effective masks are in stopping the spread of a virus we’ve lived with for 200 years and kills a million people or more a year. It’s just awesome.

In actuality we will probably keep seeing conservative states get wrecked by viruses (flu, covid) year after year while Democratic states fare much better. I wonder what will happen to the general political demographics/landscape of this country after a few years of conservatives dying significantly more often than liberals. As more die they seem to just get more entrenched in their beliefs, and thus more die, and so on. I can absolutely imagine this affecting voter turnout in conservative states to the point where they’ll shift blue in a few years.

I live in the "technically" bluest state in the country and once you get 3-5 miles from any city of 100k people or less it's all Trump banners and old white people ignoring masks etc just about anywhere else.

I'm sure it's overall worse in the southern red states I've lived in before being here, but I am not so sure that you see as strong of a red state vs blue state divide with disease rates in the end. It will probably track more strongly along the lines of income and education as well as urban vs rural.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

boop the snoot posted:

The only people I see so far taking advantage of the new cdc guidance are older white dudes. Everyone else seems to be a fan of masks still.

For us at work the decision is wait until state, feds, university, and OSHA are all on one page , plus 14 days after vaccination which is what most places are going through as well (maybe minus feds and university, maybe add union). A lot of businesses may not be ready to follow the guidance yet and most people don't want to make a scene in case it is. I think its going to take a while for people to be comfortable in public without masks.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

That Works posted:

I'm sure it's overall worse in the southern red states I've lived in before being here, but I am not so sure that you see as strong of a red state vs blue state divide with disease rates in the end. It will probably track more strongly along the lines of income and education as well as urban vs rural.

Living in Atlanta currently, and I can't think of a business that doesn't at least have a poster on the front door that says something to the tune of "My mask keeps you safe, yours keeps me safe, masks required". I believe a lot of it is gonna be blue city vs red sticks rather than red vs blue state.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ah gently caress yeah my school just announced that they were going to make it mandatory for students without qualified exemptions to be vaccinated for the fall semester (which they have told us we have to teach in person).

I was prepared to raise some hell if they were going to put me in a full room without making the vaccination status mandatory. Whew.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I went for a wander around outside just now and my mask is now the color of pollen, so thanks mask I didn't want to be the victim of tree bukake but if that's your thing I won't kink shame.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Stolen from cspam https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1394665379616673792?s=19

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Depends where you are in the South. Despite the history nowadays the south has a lot of pockets where even in the rural areas it’s kinda blue, more in the moderate country black voter kinda sense.

Me and a friend from the sticks in the Midwest were way out in the sticks in Virginia and there’s a lot of extremely rural areas that he noticed that he didn’t see Trump signs at all one one rural area on the way to where we go shooting.

Trumps real base is the suburbs, not the country.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Oh. This should be fun

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If they successfully use an insanity defense like this then wouldn't they serve a lot more time in custody?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Immanentized posted:

Oh. This should be fun

I checked the price and not fun enough. Yellen should find her spine and do something on the US side.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Immanentized posted:

Oh. This should be fun

Yeah, because a lot of the big mining ops are in China, and a lot of the laundering (since that's mostly what Bitcoin is used for) is there as well.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Hey when did Duffleblog suddenly grow a paywall? Followup question: what the actual gently caress?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Madurai posted:

Hey when did Duffleblog suddenly grow a paywall? Followup question: what the actual gently caress?

You will be given an advance on your first paycheck in order to buy your duffelblog. This is not an optional purchase, and you do not get to choose your duffelblog.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

TCD posted:

I checked the price and not fun enough. Yellen should find her spine and do something on the US side.

To be fair, I suspect the first BIG regulatory action to follow the IRS cracking down on those seeking to cash out. You secure your tax revenue first, then you move in to regulate the actual speculation and commodities activity.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/frinkatron/status/1394731339660804096?s=19

You just knew Joe was going to make the Secret Service let him drive the truck.

Edit: Ok there's video

https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/1394733937604415488

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 18, 2021

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Depends where you are in the South. Despite the history nowadays the south has a lot of pockets where even in the rural areas it’s kinda blue, more in the moderate country black voter kinda sense.

Me and a friend from the sticks in the Midwest were way out in the sticks in Virginia and there’s a lot of extremely rural areas that he noticed that he didn’t see Trump signs at all one one rural area on the way to where we go shooting.

Trumps real base is the suburbs, not the country.

I've driven through quite a bit of the rural areas of the South over the past couple of months and there were no shortage of Trump signs and even a handful of MAGA hats. Plus half of my family are rural Southerners.

The hicks love that seditious piece of poo poo.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Google Maps also took me through some rural as gently caress parts of Indiana and, in addition to tons of Trump signs, I saw god drat QAnon sign.

I drove as quickly as I could through that place.

Trump’s base is white people. The less diverse and more evangelical the place is, the more Trumpy it’ll be.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Thwomp posted:

Google Maps also took me through some rural as gently caress parts of Indiana and, in addition to tons of Trump signs, I saw god drat QAnon sign.

I drove as quickly as I could through that place.

Trump’s base is white people. The less diverse and more evangelical the place is, the more Trumpy it’ll be.

Indiana is the most conservative place in the Midwest. My family is from there and boy howdy do we try to avoid having to go back there outside of weddings and funerals.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ahahahahaha

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

this is heartbreaking. to raise your daughter the best you can, in those difficult conditions, just to find out she's a Hamas combatant

Making me feel extremely bad for laughing.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I’m saying there are a lot of rural pockets that have large minority communities out in the sticks, particularly in parts of the south where there are a lot of black folks that live outside the city.

I’d also be willing to be that the landowners are more likely to support Trump hence the signs by all the freeways in flyover USA.

I just want people to remember that its far from a monolith urban or rural.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I love the fact I live in PA. Small pockets of reasonableness surrounded by pools of chuddy insanity. Highlights include

-my daughter's Mexican BF telling her, "I really thought your Dad would be a racist piece of poo poo." (Given my demographic and area we live in, not a bad assumption)

-"You seem pretty, Uh, liberal for the area."
"Yeah. Wanting people to have a fair shot at life and healthcare makes me a loving liberal, I guess."
"I really thought you'd drop Trump poo poo on me here."

-and having an old man tell me he wanted to hate crime "those people" and democrats after a cursory conversation asking if I can pet his dog.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

We had to put up a "Masks Required" sign for the first time TODAY. Because so many people would walk in with no mask, either go "oh, ya'all still doing masks? Weird" and go get their mask, or be all huffy when we refuse to help them until they put a mask on.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bulletsponge13 posted:

I love the fact I live in PA. Small pockets of reasonableness surrounded by pools of chuddy insanity.

Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with a massive T's worth of Alabama in-between.

I didn't know that I grew up in a Trump 60/40 county until recently. I moved to a county just west that us youngin's turned from being the Home of Reagan Republicans to full-blown Bernie hippies over a generation. This city's 75/25 Biden and the neighboring city is 80/20 Biden. When I head back home every few months, it's still pretty standard suburbia, but every block has at least someone flying a huge MAGA flag off the front porch.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Finally, a 3-ton BEV... Ford is only about 3 years late :cripes:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Immanentized posted:

Oh. This should be fun

The cryptocurrencyfascists are insistent it's nothing and that China has affected to ban crypto before.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/ZcohenCNN/statu...ingawful.com%2F

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

:drat: lmao

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

A Bad Poster posted:

You will be given an advance on your first paycheck in order to buy your duffelblog. This is not an optional purchase, and you do not get to choose your duffelblog.

Hit me like a brick wall I was ordered to march into.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Brand new F-15QA, not yet handed over to Qatar. Looking forward to details.

https://twitter.com/LaurieSkrivan/status/1394664519935397890?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/EmilyGorcenski/status/1394783547777503232?s=19