Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
I have two cats, brother and sister, and currently one dog since his sister just passed in December. I noticed that the female half of the cats had a loose incisor and some swelling on her lip. She is probably around 12 and a BIG GIRL so I was like "oh god is it cancer is it this that etc" and did the hypochondriac google search, got all upset since my dog had just passed, all that. Was up all night, then took her to the vet the next day. She was still eating fine, a little slower but she definitely didn't stop eating.

Good news in a way, it's just regular dental disease with no cancer, she'll need to have some extractions but should be fine after the surgery. Got it scheduled, had a heart attack at how much it's going to cost. Definitely check your cat's teeth if you can to avoid some pain for them and a BIG BILL.

My question is for those of you who have cats who needed pretty extensive dental work, did they lose weight after (she really needs to lose some) and how did you change their food if you did? Were they able to eat hard food after or did you just lay off on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

LegionAreI posted:

I have two cats, brother and sister, and currently one dog since his sister just passed in December. I noticed that the female half of the cats had a loose incisor and some swelling on her lip. She is probably around 12 and a BIG GIRL so I was like "oh god is it cancer is it this that etc" and did the hypochondriac google search, got all upset since my dog had just passed, all that. Was up all night, then took her to the vet the next day. She was still eating fine, a little slower but she definitely didn't stop eating.

Good news in a way, it's just regular dental disease with no cancer, she'll need to have some extractions but should be fine after the surgery. Got it scheduled, had a heart attack at how much it's going to cost. Definitely check your cat's teeth if you can to avoid some pain for them and a BIG BILL.

My question is for those of you who have cats who needed pretty extensive dental work, did they lose weight after (she really needs to lose some) and how did you change their food if you did? Were they able to eat hard food after or did you just lay off on that?

We had to do this exact thing with Leela this last year, doctor said it's genetic and more may need to come out in the future which sucks. We had to take her in recently for some other issues and she actually gained weight since the surgery so uh all is well I suppose :sweatdrop:. She almost exclusively ate wet food prior to the surgery so we just kept feeding her wet food, I have been trying different types because she doesn't always eat it and I'm not sure if it's hard for her to eat certain types over others. It's been a couple months and she's taken some cheeky bites of her brother's dry food and also we give her crunchy treats so she's able to eat dry but I'd still probably be changing her diet to wet food primarily if she wasn't already.

The good news is now we get to call her "Ol' Chomper" because of her one top canine

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

LegionAreI posted:

We have about fifteen (!) cats at the shelter this year who have needed significant dental extractions. (This is very abnormal and from what I've heard we've never had a year this bad for it) For the most part medicators have set them up for 2+ weeks of wet food only (no chunks of food in it if possible) while their gums heal. Most of them are able to switch back to dry food after they've healed, including one who lost every tooth, but not everyone has done well with it. The dry food requirement is a logistical one for us, though; if you can afford the wet food approach I'm sure it's more comfortable for them.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
My boy had to get a ton of extractions and he actually ended up gaining weight. His teeth apparently hurt bad enough he ate without chewing, which often made him sick.

After fixing his teeth he quickly became a chinked and we had to stop free feeding and instead do a diet. He's slowly lost most of the weight over the past year

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Robo Kitty posted:

Hey cat thread. Does anyone have suggestions for an escape-proof cat harness? My tortie could really benefit from some outside time but she's capable of wriggling out of her current harness if she tries hard enough.
I've got this sort for my cat and it works great, but then she also doesn't do much wiggling anymore. Got this one as a replacement for one with just thin straps, which she managed to toss off easily.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ballz posted:

Our newest member of the family is Bailey, who’s been with us for about three weeks now. When we adopted her from the shelter they told us she had an upper respiratory infection and needed medicine for the first week we had her.

While the conjunctivitis in her eye has cleared up, I still hear her sneeze semi-regularly. Plus I’ve noticed in recent days she aggressively licks and scratches herself all over, like she’s chasing itches. Is there something else at work here? Allergies maybe? I hope she’s not allergic to people :ohdear:

The sneezy itchy cat in question:

https://twitter.com/newsfedora/status/1390083632870694912?s=21

Did the shelter have her on a flea topical and/or have you been applying one?

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

Cugel the Clever posted:

I've got this sort for my cat and it works great, but then she also doesn't do much wiggling anymore. Got this one as a replacement for one with just thin straps, which she managed to toss off easily.

Unfortunately this the kind she can Houdini her way out of. :radcat:

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

If you do get the hutch can you post how you like it? I’m kinda on the fence about it.

I have one. It definitely looks nicer than just the LR but it’s also very large and my cats don’t appreciate or use the top part of it. If I were to do it again I’d probably just buy the bottom half and put more decorative type stuff on top of it. it’s definitely nicer than just having a big old litter box in the middle of my living room.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Robo Kitty posted:

Unfortunately this the kind she can Houdini her way out of. :radcat:

I recently got this style and I like that the neck strap is separate.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Sydin posted:

Did the shelter have her on a flea topical and/or have you been applying one?

They did say they had her on one, although I don't remember if it was Revolution or something else. I haven't given her any in the three weeks I've had her. No sign of fleas or flea dirt and she's not allowed outside.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hawkperson posted:

I have one. It definitely looks nicer than just the LR but it’s also very large and my cats don’t appreciate or use the top part of it. If I were to do it again I’d probably just buy the bottom half and put more decorative type stuff on top of it. it’s definitely nicer than just having a big old litter box in the middle of my living room.

Thanks for the information! I’m seriously thinking about getting one.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I slapped an airtag on one of my cats. Seems just a little too big to be dangling around his neck (If he looks down from a ledge for example, sometimes it touches his chin). Any recommendations for a cat collar that has something like a pouch I can stick it in or whatever?

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Surely there are third-party vendors who make collars for these by now? I was thinking of doing the same but they seemed a little big and cumbersome for two cats with an enclosed backyard.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Surely there are third-party vendors who make collars for these by now? I was thinking of doing the same but they seemed a little big and cumbersome for two cats with an enclosed backyard.

I haven't been able to find one; that's why I'm asking here.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

creepin n rollin

thanks a bunch for this! really appreciate it. i spoke to his vet and we’re gonna fly, which is both a huge relief and its own new set of terrors, but hopefully goes ok.
i bought the most highly reviewed airline carrier and the vet said to just give him double the dose of gabapentin beforehand. it’s gonna be a 2 hour car trip followed by a 4 hour nonstop flight. i’m gonna get him used to a harness too, i have about 3.5 weeks.

wish us luck! if anyone is a dick to me at the airport about my probably-screaming and making GBS threads cat i will freak out, both in anger and stress.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I haven't been able to find one; that's why I'm asking here.

first google result seems pretty legit: https://www.gearpatrol.com/tech/g36230653/airtag-pet-accessories-collars/

you'd want something that slides onto the collar so the weight is distributed, I guess, seems to heavy to have it dangle.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

InvisibleMonkey posted:

first google result seems pretty legit: https://www.gearpatrol.com/tech/g36230653/airtag-pet-accessories-collars/

you'd want something that slides onto the collar so the weight is distributed, I guess, seems to heavy to have it dangle.

I live in the US, but I found this:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1001236726/collar-and-case-accessory-for-apple?ref=hp_rv-2&frs=1&bes=1

Which seems to be exactly what I was looking for. Not sure why I couldn't find it a few days ago when I asked, but :shrug:

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Any recommendations on litter that my cat won’t track all over the drat place, and that works well with the Litter Robot? Moved from a pretty big place to a 1 BR and everything is close enough to the litter box that litter is on every chair/couch/bed

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I've been pretty happy with world's best in the robot, especially the red bag variety. It won't eliminate all tracking but not a lot gets further than the giant mat I have it on. The steps catch a ton of litter too.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Boogalo posted:

I've been pretty happy with world's best in the robot, especially the red bag variety. It won't eliminate all tracking but not a lot gets further than the giant mat I have it on. The steps catch a ton of litter too.

Seconding red bag World's Best, works fine in my litter robot

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

While showering, I saw Wolfgang had streaks of brown in his fur, on his back.

Oh no!

So I got out, picked him up, and brought him into the shower with me. Turned the water on gently, and just held him. Fortunately it wasn't poo, just cat food coloured stomach juice, and it washed right off him.

He was an absolute trooper. No distress, no claws, just a few polite meows at the door, like he wanted to just get on with his day. Toweled him off as best I could (I think he's more absorbent than my towels are), and gave him some treats.

He looks a bit bedraggled, but his tail still goes up into the happy position. What a champ!

E: he has since entirely recovered his magnificent floof. Just now:

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 22, 2021

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hyperlynx posted:

(I think he's more absorbent than my towels are), and gave him some treats.

Do you use fabric softener? Fabric softener works by coating the fabric, which incidentally makes it less absorbent. Secrets Big Softener doesn't want you to know ITT.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

LegionAreI posted:

Had two cats with congenital gum disease a few years ago, both had to have half their teeth out (costing me $1000 per cat so yeah it costs).

They'd always been on hard food and stayed on it happily enough - near as I can tell they just don't chew, they swallow it whole. If their gums have been hurting that's probably what they were doing before anyway. Neither lost weight (quite small kitties anyhow) but my third, big bully kitty decided one of them didn't 'smell right' (i.e. of gum disease) any more and basically treated her as a mortal enemy from then on, we had to keep them separated.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Facebook Aunt posted:

Do you use fabric softener? Fabric softener works by coating the fabric, which incidentally makes it less absorbent. Secrets Big Softener doesn't want you to know ITT.

No, I don't... He's way, way softer and fluffier than my towels, though. I think he probably just has more actual surface area.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

day three of having Surefeeds. both cats are eating, but one of them likes to walk over just to open his food and leave.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Len posted:

day three of having Surefeeds. both cats are eating, but one of them likes to walk over just to open his food and leave.

One of ours seems to enjoy activating the litter robot just to watch it spin. Cats gotta cat.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010
Recently we adopted two kittens from a stray litter at eight weeks. One of them is definitely the runt of the litter and while they both have had some minor health the issues, Barry the runt had to go to a pet ER on Saturday after not eating for a few days. I was in constant contact with his vet (a personal friend) and while it never sounded serious, he agreed that he should be seen ASAP. Fortunately it was most likely a case of conjunctivitis caused by a flare-up of feline herpes and after even a few applications of eye ointment, he's much better and showing more signs of life.

However, he still doesn't eat as much as his brother and generally has less energy as well. He's on the road to recovery but as a nervous first-time kitten dad, how long does that usually take? I'm almost certainly just anxious to see improvement and I realize it's only been one day buy I feel for the little guy. Only been in my life a week and he already owns my whole heart. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah one day is not enough for recovery. Give it at least or week or two and I bet he'll perk up.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Takes No Damage posted:

So there's a colony of ferals behind the parking garage at my office. I had a few cans of pate' cat food that gives my cats the shits so I started crawling back there a couple of times a week and leaving it out on little paper plates. That seemed to go over pretty well and I've got a lone can of tuna sitting next to me that I'll probably dole out to them in the same way. If I wanted to get some food just for that purpose, what's the best way/kind? Is there a brand that's cheap in bulk but also decent quality for any range of random cats? There are at least 2 kittens I see regularly and 5 or 6 adults I recognize. Stick with canned foot or dry and maybe put some cheapy little bowls out in the bushes for them?

I'm not the only one doing this, but somebody else just dumps canned and dry foot on the ground back there, probably from an above-ground level of the garage, and it just sits there and rots and stinks, that can't be good for them...

Now try working from home with a tortie vying for your attention :gonk:

i feed the colony in my area kitten food because it's calorie dense. the local humane society feeds cats in their care nutro brown rice and chicken so that's how i decided to feed the colony that. during fall or for special occasions, i feed them wet food that i mix with some warm water, mostly because it makes me feel nice to feed them a warm meal on a cold night. i wait until i have hungry mouths at my patio door before i put out the wet food. i always have a bowl of fresh water out for them. during the winter, it drops below freezing here so i plug in a heated water bowl.

yes i might have a taxoplasmosis infection how could you tell

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I walked about 30 minutes to the store to get a bagel. When I got home I realized I didn't get a coke to go with it. I. Put the bagel which was still in the bag on the couch and left to go get the coke. Came home and saw the 3 cats eating my bagel. Now I'm hungry because I am not going back to the store.

(It was a plain bagel, no cream cheese or butter, just a plain bagel that is why I thought it would be safe.).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I walked about 30 minutes to the store to get a bagel. When I got home I realized I didn't get a coke to go with it. I. Put the bagel which was still in the bag on the couch and left to go get the coke. Came home and saw the 3 cats eating my bagel. Now I'm hungry because I am not going back to the store.

(It was a plain bagel, no cream cheese or butter, just a plain bagel that is why I thought it would be safe.).

My future mother in law gave us a couple packs of English muffins once. After eating the good pack that was blueberry or some poo poo I went to get a cinnamon raisin one. No idea where it was

"Hey where did you put the other pack of muffins?"
"There was another pack?"
"Yeah cinnamon raisin and now I can't find them"

Someone had hunted the entire pack, drug it through the apartment, pulled it under the bed, and feasted on a small part of muffin before realizing he didn't actually like English muffins.

He also once hunted a bag of rice. Just a pound bag of plain white rice. Found it under the bed

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Never assume your food is safe

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Never assume your food is safe

If it was broccoli I would not have assumed it was safe. Our black kitty loves broccoli!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
My first cat loved uncooked pasta and Doritos.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Our last cat loved all meats and bread and also popcorn and would scream at you to share with the last one. Meanwhile all I’ve seen Harold eat is his kibble and even then he’s a picky poo poo who only likes the seafood flavor

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Mel loving loves bread, she loses her mind when I make chicken sandwiches because she gets pieces of bread AND chicken thrown her way!

You're supposed to be an obligate carnivore you stupid cat, why do you like sourdough so much?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

One of my former roommates had a cat who would eat.

Full stop. He wanted all food. Meat, vegetables, grains, dairy, whatever, he would steal it off your plate and yowl his head off if you locked him in her bedroom to eat in peace.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
THINGS MY CATS HAVE REFUSED TO EAT:
Fresh salmon
Mousse cat food
Acana grasslands dry food
Cat treats
Chicken ever, for any reason

THINGS ALETA REALLY WANTS TO EAT:
Coconut oil
Coconut milk
Every plant in the universe
Small pieces of plastic
Q-tips
My moisturizer, off my face
The blue bits in crystal litter
Any bug in the universe

Luna wants to eat nothing except spectral spookiness and mystery while staring at you like a fat blowfish ghost.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Gus stole a whole bag of brown sugar off the table once. My friends and I were standing right next to it talking and just wondered wtf he was thinking

Best guess is he thought it was the treat bag and thought he was pulling a fast one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

As a kid I tore off a piece of my cheese sandwich for my cat. He very carefully disassembled it, ate the bread and left the cheese. Not a fan of Kraft Singles.