Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

The rest of the game doesn't really have that excuse for its bad voice acting, though.

It actually has a very good excuse: the way the cutscenes were coded, every voice line had to have an extremely specific duration or the whole thing would break. So every English dub voice line had to not just match the lipflaps as well as possible (adjusting the lipflaps would've ballooned the budget at the time), but also be intelligible, and also be the exact length of the Japanese line.

Ever wonder why Yuna sometimes has a really short, clipped "yes"? It's because in Japanese she's saying a very quick "hai" and the English line has to be exactly, precisely the same length. A lot of lines had to be sped up or slowed down in the editing to make them work, too.

Honestly what they accomplished under the constraints is really impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

wasn't ff10 also one of the first square games to get like, a Ton of voice acting in them too?
i've had ff10 and 10-2 on my switch for a while but i haven't had the chance to play them yet... hopefully i like them!!!

oh yea i saw a nice detailed review about the nocturne remaster too and it was p handy (the one in that rpg tweet: https://www.rpgsite.net/review/11141-shin-megami-tensei-iii-nocturne-hd-remaster-review) :)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The story and characters in FFX honestly aren't very good. When I replayed it when the HD collection came out I liked it more, but I hated it at the time and it's easy to see why people would hate it based on story/characters alone.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Very little of the game appealed to me outside of the battle system itself. It was good at being turn based combat. Everything else I found to be incredibly tedious and frustrating, and to me that's the worst thing a game can be.

I got to a point where I felt I understood the mechanics just fine, but the bosses had stupid amounts of HP and in order to do the damage necessary to beat them, I'd have to complete a thousand tasks, like a timed press to dodge lightning however many times and I noped out. No thank you.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That's doesn't sound like base game ffx at all

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

Very little of the game appealed to me outside of the battle system itself. It was good at being turn based combat. Everything else I found to be incredibly tedious and frustrating, and to me that's the worst thing a game can be.

I got to a point where I felt I understood the mechanics just fine, but the bosses had stupid amounts of HP and in order to do the damage necessary to beat them, I'd have to complete a thousand tasks, like a timed press to dodge lightning however many times and I noped out. No thank you.

The lightning bolt dodge is for Lulu’s ultimate weapon which is absolutely not required to beat the game. FFX, much like every other FF game, is pretty easy

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The lightning bolt dodge is for Lulu’s ultimate weapon which is absolutely not required to beat the game. FFX, much like every other FF game, is pretty easy

Just the most obvious example that comes to mind because how absurd it was. It's been a few years since I played it, but I just remember the game saying, "Hey try this quest!" and then me just hitting an absolute wall and all the guides I looked at with suggestions on how to get around various issues would require several hours of things I didn't enjoy doing so that was enough for me.

This isn't "the game is awful", but another thing I distinctly remember and being annoyed with was playing Blitzball the first time and finally setting up a goal but before the point was scored a cut scene was triggered because the timer reached a certain point and I know it only happens that one time, but it was seriously what the gently caress.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I enjoyed FFX myself but I played it again with the HD Collection recently and there's no cutscene skip and I just dropped out. I wasn't stuck or anything, but I just had memories of listening to Yunalesca ramble for like 15 minutes before the boss fight every time I lost, and I lost the will to play it. Having a multi-GOTCHA fight after such a long cutscene that you can't skip is just deflating

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I actually just beat Dragon Quest XI on Switch and I have to say how nice it was that the final boss isn't a multistage boss. You just wail on him and then it's over.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I wonder how much of the hate in FFX is because there's a high percentage of people in this forum that cannot help themselves touching the godawful, not-at-all required endgame weapons and Remix dark aeons.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Irony.or.Death posted:

Yeah, strong disagree on Nocturne as a 6.5/10. I'll grant plenty of standard of-the-era criticisms like a lack of within-dungeon visual variety, but I certainly can't think of a better PS2-era RPG.

PS2 era had some of my favorite JRPGs ever, so this is really tough. Many of them were from the SMT franchise too. Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2, Persona 3 & 4, Devil Summoner 2, Final Fantasy X & XII, Rogue Galaxy, Suikodan III, Dark Cloud 1 & 2

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Irony.or.Death posted:

Yeah, strong disagree on Nocturne as a 6.5/10. I'll grant plenty of standard of-the-era criticisms like a lack of within-dungeon visual variety, but I certainly can't think of a better PS2-era RPG.

Shadow Hearts Covenant

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can we count soul nomad?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

it's actually a crime that all HD remasters of PS2 games don't have a fast forward toggle

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Tae posted:

I wonder how much of the hate in FFX is because there's a high percentage of people in this forum that cannot help themselves touching the godawful, not-at-all required endgame weapons and Remix dark aeons.

The endgame and ultimate weapons are an atrocious crime that shouldn't be talked about by anyone. The normal game itself is extremely linear and the characters are rather uninteresting or lackluster. I don't find it fair to compare it to Nocturne, both games try to achieve different things.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Sharkitten posted:

Shadow Hearts Covenant

I'm playing that right now. It rules insanely hard. AFAIK the reason I picked up the Koudelka/Shadow Hearts games in the first place was because I was describing the first Raidou game to someone and the description made them think I was talking about Shadow Hearts. And I thought, "hell, if that made you think of Shadow Hearts, I guess I gotta play Shadow Hearts".

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 19, 2021

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Also Tidus is very annoying especially early on, possibly the most annoying protagonist in Final Fantasy, and the early story momentum gets derailed by Blitzball. Outside of FF13 FFX is the most linear and "cinematic" FF game, to the point where every area is pretty much a one-way corridor, it's certainly a good game though it's aiming for something very different from Nocturne.

The only PS2 era SMT game I would say is maybe worthy of a 6.5/10 or lower is Raidou 1 for its clunky feeling (and incessant) combat and button mashing demon recruiting; in spite of its awesome story and atmosphere.

Nocturne has a unique lonely and surreal atmosphere that none of Atlus's later games have really come close to. It feels like you're pretty much out on your own exploring and trying to survive in a mysterious and desolate world. Even though later games are more mechanically refined they don't have the same feeling. Like Persona 5 is an excellent game but it's so chatty and in-your-face about everything that it feels very different. Even the Digital Devil Saga games are very similar to Nocturne in terms of engine, mechanics etc but feel very different because they were Atlus's response to FFX and focus more on story, characters and cinematic cutscenes. Somehow Nocturne's aesthetics make it feel like a more elegant experience than a typical JRPG.

I think that unique lonely/surreal atmosphere and feeling of exploration is a big part of why Nocturne occupies a special place for me and a lot of other fans. Though it's understandable if people who mainly look to RPGs for story and characters prefer the more story/character focused games in the series.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Item Getter posted:

The only PS2 era SMT game I would say is maybe worthy of a 6.5/10 or lower is Raidou 1 for its clunky feeling (and incessant) combat and button mashing demon recruiting; in spite of its awesome story and atmosphere.

i will loving fight you

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
:yikes:
I played FFX on my PS2 a few years after it hit the bargain bin, and I wasn't a fan, but didn't dislike it enough to stop playing.

Quickly got the X/X-2 Collection on Steam and dropped out near the end despite using fast-forward to grind my way through some levels with auto-fight. But the game itself is still lacking something to keep my attention. I have the same problem with FF9 where I'm well over half-way and just keep not finishing it, and probably have forgotten most of the story.

Anyway, leaning toward getting Nocturne on Switch. Finished the main story mode for Radiant Historia (I think anyway) and I really liked having a JRPG to follow me around the house or outside if I had to wait for someone in my car.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Instant Grat posted:

i will loving fight you

As someone who started playing it a few weeks back, it's really interesting but oh god does the interface bring it down hard. Having to switch demons for overworld interactions gets tedious real fast, and having a price on switching is just meaningless because it's so low it's never going to be a problem.

And there are a few early fights that felt pretty level gated, technically not because you can dodge forever but at the point I got there I did so little damage and took so much, I assumed it was unwinnable until I got a game over.

It's interesting enough that I'm going to finish it when I have more time, but it really has issues.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Okay yeah, you guys are both right. The vibe and aesthetics and feel of the game just sold it for me so hard that none of the jank bothered me. There are just so many moments and character interactions in the game that make me smile and do a little internal fistpump whenever I think back on them.

The Mishaguji fight is straight bullshit though, 100%.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Booky posted:

wasn't ff10 also one of the first square games to get like, a Ton of voice acting in them too?
i've had ff10 and 10-2 on my switch for a while but i haven't had the chance to play them yet... hopefully i like them!!!

oh yea i saw a nice detailed review about the nocturne remaster too and it was p handy (the one in that rpg tweet: https://www.rpgsite.net/review/11141-shin-megami-tensei-iii-nocturne-hd-remaster-review) :)

It was one of the first console games period to get that much voice acting. FF9 had none, and even FF11 had none. Resident Evil and Castlevania SOTN on PS1 had voice acting that was SO bad it's a meme decades later, I think only Metal Gear Solid 1 had a decent voice performance with lots of dialogue before that point.

Honestly I think FFX holds up, the battle system is still interesting (Moreso in expert grid), the story and world are still really memorable, the voice acting for the main characters isn't too bad most of the time and some of the characters are really well done

MGS2 did come out in the same year though

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It was one of the first console games period to get that much voice acting. FF9 had none, and even FF11 had none. Resident Evil and Castlevania SOTN on PS1 had voice acting that was SO bad it's a meme decades later, I think only Metal Gear Solid 1 had a decent voice performance with lots of dialogue before that point.

Honestly I think FFX holds up, the battle system is still interesting (Moreso in expert grid), the story and world are still really memorable, the voice acting for the main characters isn't too bad most of the time and some of the characters are really well done

MGS2 did come out in the same year though

Of course even it had some pretty memey voice-acting or line delivery.

"I killed my soul!" "A dud?!" etc.

Love both games, though. Mostly good with occasional badness.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

so what you're saying is that mgs2 needs a modern remake/remaster

edit actually i would even just replay a straight port on the switch, no remaster needed

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also I am still buying Nocturne but man that Switch version looks rough. I know myself and I will never ever finish it if I get it on PS5 though

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

and even FF11 had none

It did! But only in the opening FMV. And not much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXqc6jPOnBs

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I was a HUGE Final Fantasy fanboy in the PS1 era and while I didn't hate FFX and actually finished it, it kinda made me lose interest (and the next game being a MMORPG sealed the deal).

I think it was mostly the lack of freedom and exploration. Sure, most FF games are very strictly linear but at least they gave you the illusion of "open-worldness" while FFX confines you to corridor-shaped maps for most of the game. I did like the battle system and sphere grid, though, and it's a shame because I feel they're custom-tailored for a game with more freedom.

I always found the ATB system a gimmick to make the old games look more impressive making battles look like "real time" but by the PS1 era it felt severely outdated, specially when games like Grandia made much better battle systems that involved allies and enemies trading attacks at the same time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've always preferred some level of 'turn-based' in my JRPGs, because I have some hand-eye coordination problems that mean I just... can't do complex inputs and precise timings; in any given game I can basically internalize a single precise input with a lot of practice, and that's it. So I'm inclined to be kind to most of the PS2-era JRPG crop; they mostly realized they can just do good turn-based, and that's all they need to do.

It's also why I like Megaten a lot these days. They never really fell into the 'must have action elements' mindset that stuff like most of Final Fantasy has of late, that's confined mostly to weird spinoffs. They just focus on knocking turn-based out of the goddamn park.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I remember appreciating Suikoden doing a one hand control mode where confirm/cancel were also on L1/L2

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

FFX is pretty middling. I appreciate how much content and secrets they put in, but most of the added content in the intl version is bad.

I'd put it upper mid tier of ps2 jrpg's below DQVIII and the DDS games. But ahead of the weird low rent games like command mission or something.

Shadow Hearts one is the best PS2 RPG. Covenant right after then probably Nocturne or FES

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I really don't know why people like DDS. I guess it's the sequel because the first game is pure dungeon crawler. It has maybe slightly more story than Nocturne but that's it. You're just going Places, doing Stuff, none of it matters and I know nothing about any of these people in my party. It was sold to me as a more traditional JRPG but really isn't. Strange Journey is often labeled a big dungeon crawler but Jimenez and Zelenin, and gently caress, the crew of the Red Sprite as a whole, 100% had far more depth to them and focus put on them than any of your comrades in DDS1.

There's hints of a story at the end of the game but I just didn't care. I abandoned ship after you return to that temple place where Sara is now doing...something. I had some trouble with a boss and was like "I have no reason to continue. I care nothing about any of these people because the game hasn't cared about any of them, either."

I'm assured by many that DDS2 has a lot of story and character but you kinda need the first part to make you care about the second.

Awesome battle theme,. though. My favorite normal battle theme in the series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkSxldnGHTU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Actually the best PS2 RPG is Mana Khemia

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

FFX is pretty middling. I appreciate how much content and secrets they put in, but most of the added content in the intl version is bad.

I'd put it upper mid tier of ps2 jrpg's below DQVIII and the DDS games. But ahead of the weird low rent games like command mission or something.

Shadow Hearts one is the best PS2 RPG. Covenant right after then probably Nocturne or FES

I do think the best PS2 RPG is Persona 4 with no contest but I am also posting in the SMT thread. I never played Shadow Hearts but I kinda wish I did, looks extremely like a game made for teenage me

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
the best PS2 JRPG/turn based tactics game is La Pucelle just because Croix smoking the phantom cigarette they edited out of his sprite for the English release and the main character yelling "COUPE DE GRACE!!!" is etched into my memory even though i never actually beat the game :shobon:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
by virtur of being able to play ps1 titles on the ps2, the best ps2 rpg is chrono cross

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

My Nocturne just started preloading on PS4 and includes an I believe its called Mercy and Expectations Map Pack that I don't recall seeing on the preorder page. Is this an SMT4 style optimized grinding map, I would assume? That's handy, for those horrifically weak casuals that think sometimes Nocturne was a bit difficult (such as me).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I had an XBOX and not a PS2 so I didn't play most of these games until much later if at all.

I'm really looking forward to playing Nocturne for the first time!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You don't pronounce the P in Coup you dumb anglos!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
That game had horrible, horrible voice direction, don’t blame Jennifer Hale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

My Nocturne just started preloading on PS4 and includes an I believe its called Mercy and Expectations Map Pack that I don't recall seeing on the preorder page. Is this an SMT4 style optimized grinding map, I would assume? That's handy, for those horrifically weak casuals that think sometimes Nocturne was a bit difficult (such as me).

One map is for grinding out something to give exp, the other for money. If you preordered the Deluxe version, they come included (along with the music pack, the Merciful difficulty one, and the "option to have Dante instead of Raidou" one).