Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I bought Mass Effect Legendary Edition because I never played any of them before. I am a zealous believer that story in video games is pretty much always garbage and that it's the least important part of a video game. So I wanted to try and break out of that mindset as I fired up the first Mass Effect.

It's good. I'm enjoying it. I'm talking to all these weird aliens and I'm not just thinking "get to the fuckin point so I can shoot poo poo". Tali's cool, I see why people like her so much, though I'm not sure I like her enough to care about the chemical makeup of her sweat. My only real disappointment so far is that I can't talk to the bug things on the Citadel. Wanna hang out with those bug things.

It's good. Maybe I should stop being such a bitchy stick in the mud and give more games a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

That's funny, because Mass Effect is probably the series most instrumental in making me realize that I didn't care about story or dialogue in games. And I didn't even get to the third one that supposedly shits all over the story!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Mass Effect games are good. If you want to be nitpicky about fake promises fine, but ME is good.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
i bought disco elysium a while back on ps4 and have been patiently waiting to actually be able to play it. it seems like the most recent patch (number 8!!!!) has it working pretty well now. at least i dont see much bug feedback on the subreddit anymore, so either it works or people just gave up trying to play it entirely lol.

i played for about 45 mins and got a dreadful "this poo poo is over rated" vibe real fast. any tips to make it more fun

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Not overrated but there's a lot of reading. You might not want that out of vidya. Also topics you might not want to explore.

Disco Elysium is the opposite of Mass Effect in a way

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

It's a LOT of reading before you're done.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

My unpopular opinion is that ME1 was the best game in the Mass Effect series. Just about every single mechanic was done better in the sequels (except reloading), but it had a sense of wonder and grandeur and exploration of the unknown that the sequels never quite recaptured.

My possibly unpopular opinion is that the ME2/3 reload mechanic was garbage, and the in-game explanation was stupid. If they were going to turn the game into a linear corridor shooter with limited ammo and magazines heat sinks for reloading, they should have just acted like it was the case all along, instead of shoehorning in a nonsensical explanation to walk back the original unlimited ammo, as somehow every gun in the galaxy was replaced within the ~2 years between games.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vic posted:

Not overrated but there's a lot of reading. You might not want that out of vidya. Also topics you might not want to explore.

Disco Elysium is the opposite of Mass Effect in a way

The games thread for Disco Elysium calls it Game of the Century in the title, that's over-rating it for sure

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

its_my_birthday posted:

i played for about 45 mins and got a dreadful "this poo poo is over rated" vibe real fast.

Have you internalized it?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arc Light posted:

My unpopular opinion is that ME1 was the best game in the Mass Effect series. Just about every single mechanic was done better in the sequels (except reloading), but it had a sense of wonder and grandeur and exploration of the unknown that the sequels never quite recaptured.

My possibly unpopular opinion is that the ME2/3 reload mechanic was garbage, and the in-game explanation was stupid. If they were going to turn the game into a linear corridor shooter with limited ammo and magazines heat sinks for reloading, they should have just acted like it was the case all along, instead of shoehorning in a nonsensical explanation to walk back the original unlimited ammo, as somehow every gun in the galaxy was replaced within the ~2 years between games.

Definitely agreed. Andromeda did some stuff that got back some of the sense of wonder but the new Galaxy felt too lived in to be new and too empty to feel like any kind of crazy sci fi poo poo was possible.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

its_my_birthday posted:

i bought disco elysium a while back on ps4 and have been patiently waiting to actually be able to play it. it seems like the most recent patch (number 8!!!!) has it working pretty well now. at least i dont see much bug feedback on the subreddit anymore, so either it works or people just gave up trying to play it entirely lol.

i played for about 45 mins and got a dreadful "this poo poo is over rated" vibe real fast. any tips to make it more fun

What sort of cop are you? High Inland Empire, encyclopedia, half light esprit de corps, electochemistry and shivers are entertaining, perception is probably the most effective skill for solving the mystery. But if you aren't enjoying walking round and talking to people it's probably not the game for you. You shouldn't play it if you don't want to imo.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Space Kablooey posted:

I'm also pining for a roguelike/forever FPS that feels good to play and has enough levels that it doesn't feel samey to me too, while not feeling like a FPS MMORPG like Destiny 2. I'm hoping that OW2 will fit this bill with the PvE mode, but I lost trust in Blizzard to deliver.

I tried a couple of these FPS roguelites (Mothergunship, Immortal Redneck) and I wasn't impressed with either (though I sank a bunch of time in both). Both of them have an issue with a bunch of guns being too gimmicky or straight up pointless or just a tweaked versions of other guns. Also at some point enemies just become bullet sponges or the level generated is just a bunch of prefab rooms stuck together.

In the same vein, I've also downloaded a program to generate Doom 2 wads and I've found that it's a bit better on the underlying gameplay, but the prefab room feeling is also there (because the elements are prefabbed as well), and the pacing of levels are out of wack.

Fake edit: I also tried Void Bastards but it has similar issues to IR, with the added food/fuel metagame that I didn't really like too much and upgrading being fairly slow IME.

I feel like roguelike FPSs need to ditch the random weapons and powerups. I feel like that's the weakest part of the formula. Give me a solid loadout and then make me use them to fight through random maps and monsters. So much of the experience of an FPS is down to the weapons I don't get why people keep thinking throwing them at players randomly is a great idea. There are people who have been playing Doom WADs for decades using the same small loadout, you don't need weapon variety to keep people interrested.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Rutibex posted:

:psyduck:
wtf Konami makes games? i thought they only made gambling machines

Konami uh, kind of killed it in Japan last year.

https://www.altchar.com/game-news/konami-is-japans-top-selling-third-party-publisher-in-2020-aKdOh6U7buja
https://www.thegamer.com/konami-best-selling-game-animal-crossing-powerful-pro-baseball/

https://twitter.com/GameDataLibrary/status/1347672598948311040?s=20

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Huh, so Konami smashed sales and is the #1 third party publisher with its flagship game *checks notes*... Japanese Monopoly?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Armitag3 posted:

Huh, so Konami smashed sales and is the #1 third party publisher with its flagship game *checks notes*... Japanese Monopoly?

Actually yeah the series is really popular in Japan and probably would be considered one of Konami's flagship titles over there. :v:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momotaro_Dentetsu

Barudak
May 7, 2007

jokes posted:

I think they also call gambling machines video games, though?

Nope, they're separate sections of Konami's reporting.

Its funny but from a profitability and growth standpoint Konami unambiguously made the correct move to restructure its gaming division and jettison its larger budget titles.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I remember a long time ago (late PS1 days) that horse-racing simulators were best-sellers in Japan.

With the Japanese market, there is always a crazy niche genre (to us) that is charting along with the heavy hitters from Nintendo and Square-Enix.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

The games thread for Disco Elysium calls it Game of the Century in the title, that's over-rating it for sure

It's definitely not as good as some people make it out to be, but it's still quite good. It's at least got a nice style and is generally well written, although I think it really drags at times.

The only thing that bugs me about it is that people always make it out like it's the greatest CRPG ever when it's not even a CRPG imo. It's a visual novel that looks like one and has some light RPG mechanics. I went into it thinking there was going to be a lot more RPG in there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Justin Godscock posted:

I remember a long time ago (late PS1 days) that horse-racing simulators were best-sellers in Japan.

With the Japanese market, there is always a crazy niche genre (to us) that is charting along with the heavy hitters from Nintendo and Square-Enix.

Long ago? Lmao the #1 runaway freight train of mobile gaming success in Japan right now is a horse racing simulator where all the horses are based on famous real-life historical race horses except they're now cute anime girls

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Disco Elysium is an incredible visual novel but calling it an RPG is misleading because it paints a picture of a game like Planescape: Torment, a title that would have been much better if it also jettisoned its combat.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Barudak posted:

Long ago? Lmao the #1 runaway freight train of mobile gaming success in Japan right now is a horse racing simulator where all the horses are based on famous real-life historical race horses except they're now cute anime girls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXZlJGoK78A

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Arc Light posted:

Finally, somebody gets it.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

I'm not going to lie: I can see the appeal.

Karl Ontario
Jan 1, 2006

Maybe if I'm part of that mob, I can help steer it in wise directions.

its_my_birthday posted:

It is overrated. I enjoyed Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Planescape Torment, and other text heavy CRPGs. Disco has no gameplay - it's a visual novel with writing I find pretentious.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
anyone else quit the game when you're in a social area and someone sends you a friend request

im sorry you thought we had a moment while we were trying to jump to the highest part of the courtyard, im sorry for leading you on, but i am not ready for this type of commitment

itry
Aug 23, 2019

RPG's don't have to have a seperate gameplay system just for hitting things.

its_my_birthday posted:

Don't try to min-max. Roleplay. If you want dumb fun go for a main character with high PHY and MOT. You can be a racist chauvinist if you want.

If you're still bored, that's ok too.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Armitag3 posted:

Vandar posted:

Actually yeah the series is really popular in Japan and probably would be considered one of Konami's flagship titles over there. :v:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momotaro_Dentetsu

I thought Monopoly was created to ruin relationships and gently caress up family gatherings. Japan truly is a strange place.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Monopoly was created to teach people about the flaws in capitalism, ruining friendships is one of those flaws

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Monopoly was created to teach people about the flaws in capitalism, ruining friendships is one of those flaws

Flaw #1 no one actually reads the rules before starting.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Flannelette posted:

Flaw #1 no one actually reads the rules before starting.

Flaw #2: You're playing a childs boardgame for children.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Literally A Person posted:

Flaw #2: You're playing a childs boardgame for children.

Flaw #Cum : No it was made for adults because back in the day quakers and puritans couldnt gamble or drink or anything cool so they had to play games on boards to pass the time

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

PinheadSlim posted:

Flaw #Cum : No it was made for adults because back in the day quakers and puritans couldnt gamble or drink or anything cool so they had to play games on boards to pass the time

Flaw #Blastu: gently caress cardboard. If I want a game I'll play the Coleco.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Flaw:walꟻ there's a monopoly card game that's a hundred times more fun and only takes 15 minutes to play from start to finish but they still keep making the board game

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

Disco Elysium is an incredible visual novel but calling it an RPG is misleading because it paints a picture of a game like Planescape: Torment, a title that would have been much better if it also jettisoned its combat.

Then what are all those dice rolls for?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You’re telling me the group of people called “the quakers” didn’t do anything else for fun except play board games?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

jokes posted:

You’re telling me the group of people called “the quakers” didn’t do anything else for fun except play board games?

They're big into oats.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Literally A Person posted:

They're big into oats.

Anyone who knows anything knows that oat people gently caress.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

jokes posted:

They were so unfun they got kicked out of England for being buzz kills

England

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
You think they ever gently caress IN the oats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
It's all like, hang on, I got one, it's all like instead of

honey bunches of oats

it's

CUMMY bunches of oats!!!